It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Direct TV This Yr Have to Listen on Radio,Pissed!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:22 am 

Sorry guys haven't posted in awhile I kind of go which major sport is in season. I just moved to anotheer apartment complex a few miles away to save some money. One of the things I asked was I need an apartment that has access to the SE portion of the sky for satellite the apartment people said sure that should be no problem so they gave me my new place. I asked well what if I can't get reception they said soory we can't allow you to move. So I took a chance and the direct satellite guy came and gave me the bad news a tree is blocking my view of the SE sky. I was not happy now I am stuck listening to the games on radio. After 2 yrs of direct tv now I am back in the 1800's. Arrrghh!

Other than that this new apartment blows my other ones away and I am saving over 200 a month,great deal. I have decided to get At and T Uverse they are offering 400 channels trial for 2 months and then you have to decide on your package. I am not sure I hope there is a deal to get the NBA package with them.If not may have to watch on my computer.

At and T Uverse includes internet and tv so I wil save money there also rather than pay comcast's outrageous rates. Also I get the NFL network on it so another plus.

Well guys I don't know how I am going to survive not watching the Falcon's on TV .I hope someone could tape the games I certainly would pay some money to receive the games if anyone would offer.

Oh I am the kind of guy I have to watch the games by myself since I am like a caged tiger people would think I am nuts at a sports bar. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

After years of watching several Falcon games at sports bars, I've learned to control myself in public while watching the Falcons. In fact, if I was watching with another Falcon fan, people would probably be surprised at how stoic I am. It's probably not healthy, since I'm sure I'm internalizing a lot of rage by doing it.

I think the key is you have to befriend someone with DirecTV and good reception. My parents have it, but unfortunately I live 3.5 hours away, so it's not quite economical for me to travel 7 hours every weekend. Even though I have thought long and hard about doing it.

There is a local sports bar that shows the game, but the last time I was there, I did not enjoy myself, so I'm reluctant to go back.

The radio is not so bad. I think I listened to around 5 or so games last year online. It's better than nothing and at least you get to be part of the chats.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Oh well thanks for the advice!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:22 pm 

It will be different hearing the game on radio as opposed to TV thats for sure. I used to listen to Faclon games solely on radio before I moved to Indianapolis 2 1/2 yrs ago. Will have to get used to it again besides I will look around see if someone could tape the game for me and I'll pay them. Thanks for the advice Pudge been over on the baseball and basketball side since the NBA draft is here and Braves baseball so haven't been posting much. When preseaon comes up I'll get back into the swing of things again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:13 am 

I think with all the contract extensions that I've had to agree to in order to get contract discounts for various services I'm indentured to DirecTV for most the rest of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 pm 

My hope is that 3-4 years from now when DirecTV's contract with the NFL expires, the league comes up with a new way that gives people alternatives to being able to see the games.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:09 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
My hope is that 3-4 years from now when DirecTV's contract with the NFL expires, the league comes up with a new way that gives people alternatives to being able to see the games.

As long as those "alternatives" involve money, and lots of it... :lol:

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 pm 

I personally have no problem with a PPV system for out of market games. I'll drop $5 or $10 each week to catch the Falcons games that aren't on national TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:21 pm 

I just don't like the monopoly that DirecTV has. All I'm asking for is viable alternatives to going with satellite TV.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Open the market up the NFL Should
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:09 pm 

All the other league do it why not NFL football and that is to be able to watch your fav team on your computer.The NBA and Baseball do it why is it the NFL can't figure it out.I just wonder what kind of money those other leagues get for being able to allow the common fan access to there games on computer from the media outlets.

Would certainly be interesting Direct TV must blow the competitors out of the water to have a monopoly on NFL games. The NFL certainly should consider there is another segment of the population that may not have access to satellite or perhaps they already considered it and they don't care about those fans?

Whoever makes these deecisions for the NFL needs to relook the fact that there is a segment wanting to watch NFL games but can't. I mean here we have technology for many things in life yet we can't watch our fav team because we can't get satellite TV,something wrong with this picture. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I think with all the contract extensions that I've had to agree to in order to get contract discounts for various services I'm indentured to DirecTV for most the rest of my life.

They are not cumulative - only the last one or the longest one counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Scout...you can dive into the dark, murky world of P2P online streaming of games. You need a fast processor and a lot of patience. If you have any questions just PM me.I won't be here the next few weeks, just off and on, as i leave for the tour de France tomorrow. But i will help you when i get back.

http://streamednfl.blogspot.com/

Also you may want to check into the "Sling"...a device you could set up at your parents (or someone who has direct TV)..and "sling" the signal to you on your computer. Falconwease is the expert for that technology....

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Open the market up the NFL Should
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:26 pm 

thescout wrote:
The NFL certainly should consider there is another segment of the population that may not have access to satellite or perhaps they already considered it and they don't care about those fans?

Better yet, if you read TMQ you will note that frequently Iran, Iraq, UAE and many nearby European countries frequently get the best match-ups selections during the NFL season. Meanwhile most American broadcast networks are forced to suffer with lopsided losses and irrelevant match-ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 pm 

FalconWease wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

They are not cumulative - only the last one or the longest one counts.

Woohoo!

Of course it is that time of year where I need to sign-up for Sunday Ticket yet again.

Doh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:

Probably won't happen. DirecTV can and will throw more money at the NFL than cable can or would. Cable would like to have Sunday Ticket. DirecTV NEEDS to have Sunday ticket. It is D*'s crown jewel. I do not hink it would be a huge stretch to think that D* would lose a big chunk of its audience if it lost NFLST. D* has about 16 million subscribers. E* has about 13 million. As the services are almost the same (some say E* is a bit better in High Def for now).

Lets say that D* lost 3 million subscribers due to NFLST going cable. assuming that the average NFLST viewers get $75 worth of programming per month that is a change in income stream of $225,000,000 per month or $2.7 Billion per year. That does not even count the $747,000,000 in NFLST revenue. How much of that is profit, only the accountants know, but I am sure it would hurt - a lot.

W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:57 pm 

What really burns my ass about DirecTV is that they have the balls to require that I purchase the "SuperFAN" package in order to get HD NFL Sunday Ticket. So my bill for Sunday Ticket last year came out to a cool $348 to get Sunday Ticket in HD.

Good lord... I might actually not get Sunday Ticket this year. Even the $249 is making my butt pucker as we speak.

Post subject: Interesting BB that me be the way to go!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 am 

Onlinestreaming never considered it looks like those games in black not a good chance at all to get them yet other games pretty good. If I remember right there is a delay on the game of what 10 seconds? Maybe wrong but I remember last year on our chats we would know the plays before you saw them or something.

Beleive it or not I don't know anyone else willing to breakdown and get satellite direct tv. The Slingbox I know about it since I used to work for Dell Computer that was a product that I pushed alot,great concept.Well if online streaming does't workout then maybe I will find someone to tape the games for me and pay. Heck I may get used to the radio games again wll see.

Yes the sports packaging for Direct TV is its bread and butter however other companies who are richer than Direct TV may give them a run for there money since they may have other markets they are in other than TV and eat up Direct TV ,will see.The Revenues are tremendous so you would think other execs would compete with Direct TV for that contract.
Monopoly is right with Direct TV since baseball has Direct TV,MLB, and other satellite companies like Dish have programming but only Direct TV has NFL football. I love and hate direct tv now since I can;t have it.One day I'll get it back and be satisfied again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:48 am 

Wease, what you say is probably true, but can't I have hope?

I don't like that my options are to get fork up the cash to get DirecTV or to spend 3.5+ hours at a bar up to 14 Sundays this year (I'm guaranteed to see the Falcons play twice living in Panther country). And if there's a 3rd option, it's to find a friend that has DirecTV and mooch.

All I'm asking for is a viable alternative. The NFL should be of the mindset that they want to get their product out to everybody available. Frankly, not everybody can get satellite, and we know that sizable portions of most teams fanbase live outside the realm of local broadcasts.

My experince with satellite is that it's sole purpose is for football. Frankly, it is not an improvement over digital cable in any significant way, not to mention dealing with the weather.

Most of these TV package stuff and deals between the NFL and whatever goes over my head. I'm just hoping something is resolved, and isn't purely about money to the NFL. And if it is I pray someone besides a satellite company digs deep in their pockets.

Hey, maybe somehow this can be worked out that this whole thing can be used as an olive branch between the NFL and so many disgruntled cable companies?...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 pm 

I know the Comcast pricing here in the Portland/Vancouver metro area is nothing short of horrible next to DirecTV. Unfortunately the local Comcast providers also shun sports at every single turn. The concept of signing a contract to provide local sports content seems to be a black mark they do not want.

It is official, I won't be getting Sunday Ticket this year. It is just too much money and I'm trying to do too much with the Wedding coming up to justify it. This will be first year in about 5 that I will only see 1 game for sure (Indy/Atlanta). Otherwise I don't think we have any national games slated this season? Unless we play Seattle I will get that game.

Blah. I'm so frickin depressed... The Bobby Petrino era starts and I'm going to miss most of it.