It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick's Bottle has nothing on this guy
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- Customs officers at Cairo's airport have detained a man bound for Saudi Arabia who was trying to smuggle 700 live snakes on a plane, airport authorities said.

The officers were stunned when a passenger, identified as Yahia Rahim Tulba, told them his carryon bag contained live snakes after he was asked to open it.

Tulba opened his bag to show the snakes to the police and asked the officers, who held a safe distance, not to come close. Among the various snakes, hidden in small cloth sacks, were two poisonous cobras, authorities said.

The Egyptian said he had hoped to sell the snakes in Saudi Arabia. Police confiscated the snakes and turned Tulba over to the prosecutor's office, accusing him of violating export laws and endangering the lives of other passengers.

According to the customs officials, Tulba claimed the snakes are wanted by Saudis who display them in glass jars in shops, keep them as pets or sell them to research centers.

The value of the snakes was not immediately known.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:40 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

What's even more retarded about this is that Egypt and Iraq are right next to each other. Couldn't have been ANY more than 150 miles or so which isn't bad considering you are carrying 700 freaking snakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:54 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Chad504boy wrote:
What's even more retarded about this is that Egypt and Iraq are right next to each other. Couldn't have been ANY more than 150 miles or so which isn't bad considering you are carrying 700 freaking snakes.

Chad, you mean Saudi Arabia is right next to Egypt.....Iraq is on the other side of SA.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm".
Henry David Thoreau

Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail.

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Well Jordan is right next to egypt i believe... still in all... it maybe closer to possibly 500-600 miles which is nothing outrageous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well Riyadh (the capital of Saudi Arabia) is over a 1000 miles from Cairo, which is not quite a walk in the park when you're talking about transporting 700 live snakes. Depending on his destination in Saudi Arabia, would make the trip not quite simple.

Not to mention that unlike America, everybody else in the world does not own a car.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:14 pm 

Pudge wrote:
Not to mention that unlike America, everybody else in the world does not own a car.

For the first time really in my life i have had a lot of exposure to people from other parts of the world. I have to admit that I am fairly ignorant of how daily life is in other countries. This of course is true for most Americans. I recently had the joy of having an instructor that was born in India and lived in England and Ireland and an instructor from Saudi Arabia. Speaking with them was an eye opener for me.

It certainly has motivated me to actually look into the daily life of people outside of the states. I'm now looking forward to visiting Europe and the UK more than ever.