Starting guard?

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

DenimJacket
Veteran
Veteran

Starting guard?

Postby DenimJacket » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Any chance we could pick up a starting LG in free agency next year?
Anyone know who we might stand a chance at getting?

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Unless Lehr has a horrible year me thinks what you see is what you get. It is clear that McKay & Crew like having young talent that they can mold into what they want. That and good offensive lines do not see constant change in personnel. This unit has been together now without any major changes for about 2 seasons.
Fear the BEARD!

DenimJacket
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DenimJacket » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm thinking of Lehr moving over to center. Afterall that is his preferred position and one of the reasons he signed with us for less.

born2booze
Starter
Starter

Postby born2booze » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:20 pm

I am trying to remember buy isn't Lehr a VaTech guy? And if he was didn't he play a bit with Vick there? Just something that I have been wondering about for a while. I think he could be our starter at LG or C in the next couple of years but I think ultimately he won't be much different of a player as McClure, someone who doesn't really do anything well but doesn't hurt you either.

DenimJacket
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DenimJacket » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:44 pm

I am trying to remember buy isn't Lehr a VaTech guy? And if he was didn't he play a bit with Vick there?

Lehr was indeed Michael's center at Virginia Tech.

but I think ultimately he won't be much different of a player as McClure, someone who doesn't really do anything well but doesn't hurt you either.

Imo McClure's pass protection skills are not up to par. He blocks too high and lacks the strength needed.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:48 pm

McClure's contract is up in two years I believe. Last time around he wanted premium to be re-signed and settled on a more modest contract to stay in Atlanta. Of course it was largely due to little interest in McClures services elsewhere. If McClure tries it again at I believe 32 he won't find his way back to Atlanta.
Fear the BEARD!

Return to “The Huddle”