It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should we be looking at Shazor?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:35 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Ernest Shazor, like Thomas Davis is one of those tweeners at S and OLB. Shazor measures at about 6'4" 230, which is just massive for a safety.

I'm of the mindset that we need a big physical safety at the SS position to bolster the run defense, and free up Scott to play FS and become more effective against the pass, which I think is where Scott is best at.

Thomas Davis I think will be long gone when we draft at #27. I think that would be too high to take Donte Nicholson, the consensus #2 safety in the draft. Nicholson could still be there in Round 2, but I'm thinking at this point probably not. But if Nicholson is there, then I think I would want him. I'm also liking what I hear about Jamaal Brimmer, who one person likened to a poor man's Ronnie Lott. But as of late, I think Brimmer's stock is slipping. That leaves Shazor IMO as the next top SS. But he could easily be drafted as a OLB. Look at Cato June, another ex-Wolverine, and he was solid for the Colts this year at WLB, and he never really was ever considered a linebacker by anybody besides Tony Dungy.

Another name to look out for is O.J. Atogwe (Stanford), who could begin to rise up boards. But right now Atogwe is a bit too small for my liking. I want a tank back in our secondary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I still like drafting a safety in round 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:12 pm 
The idea of drafting a safety in round 1 I don't like and the falcon's need to use that pick probably at def end.One thing you look at is depth at a position in the draft and there are more safeties than def ends so if we pass on a def end in round 1 the quailty might not be there in round 2.Getting heat on the QB is essential and even though the falcon's led the league in sacks another def end who can scare the QB is needed since Brady Smith could be having a career year.Def end are hard to find Matt Roth until his stock comes down would have to be target A at this point.

Safety is important to a defense but not as important as other positions that need to be fortified.Round 2 is the time to look at a Nicholson,Brimmer type.I think Shazor will be good but not for the falcon's first pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:30 pm 

I was thinking about Shazor, Nicholson, and Brimmer in Round 2.

Profile E-mail