It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Will the Falcons cut Price before the start of the regular season?
Yes 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
No 90%  90%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: I don't see both Price and Beverly staying
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:28 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just did a quick final roster prediction, and when I was crunching the numbers, I came to the conclusion that this team cannot keep both Price and Eric Beverly on the roster.

Both combine for over $5 million in cap space and this team is still tight in that area. Cutting Price will save about $2 million in cap space and cutting Beverly about $1.3 million.

Now that both are less than 100%, their chances of making the roster are up in the air.

Beverly is expected to play soon last I heard. Whether he plays tonight, I'm not sure. Price is expected to bounce back soon but is still suffering from headaches last I heard.

I don't see why this team is keeping Beverly. He costs more to this team than either Michael Jenkins or T.J. Duckett and is not even close to be worthy of their value. He's a blocking TE, nothing more, nothing less.

We can get a veteran that costs a third of the price we are paying him. Available blocking tight ends are David Sloan, O.J. Santiago, Cam Cleeland, Fred Baxter, and J.D. Davenport. I'm sure there are going to be some quality blockers that are cut in the next 2 weeks that we can also pick up. And in the meantime, I think Blakley is going to be fine as the #2 TE, assuming he can cut down on his mistakes. My feelings towards Beverly border almost on how much Cap dislikes McClure. :wink:

As for Price, I'd rather see the team keep him than lose him. My hatred for Price has ebbed, and I like the commitment he's shown this offseason. Will it translate into him catching 65 passes and scoring 7 TDs this year? No, but he could be an excellent situational player if used correctly. At least until Roddy White makes the necessary strides.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 am 

Like Dez White, Peerless Price has had a good camp, so far Price has been a failure but he does look promising. I do believe the Falcons will start the season with Price on the roster but if he doesn't perform he won't just get demoted but released.

Of course another question to consider is how much love does Mora & Crew have for Magner? If Magner performs well in the last game and the powers that be decide he deserves a roster spot we will have to cut someone. That cut would likely be Price largely due to his Price.

I'm curious as to what we will do with Dunn. Restructuring his contract only means next years cap hit is very ugly and possibly unaffordable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Price will get one more year IMO to prove himself. If he performs the way he has we will most likely ask him to restructure or part ways with him. Beverly, IMO, is here untill his contract runs out. He is an awsome blocker at the TE position. And remember he was Barry Sanders' favorite blocker because of the way he could move around and block Sanders' untraditional running routes. We brought him in with the plan to do for Vick what he did for Sanders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:43 pm 

I don't really see Magner performance having any signficant impact on the team's decision to keep Magner.

Bottom line, this team is going to only play 4 wideouts (3 on offense, 1 on special teams). So whomever is the 5th is not going to play much unless there's injury. And whomever the 6th wideout is, if there is one, definitely won't play unless there's injury.

Now financially speaking, keeping Magner over Price makes sense because it means you won't have to keep someone like Roddy White on the inactive list.

I think it's going to come down to the coaching staff ending the preseason asking themselves a few questions:

1) Where is Peerless Price on this depth chart? And is there potential for him to move up or down?

2) Does Price bring more to the table than another receiver like White, Finneran, or Jenkins.

Now if the Falcons say, Price is our #3 receiver or better, then I think he stays. Also as part B of Question #1, if they are not particularly inspired by the play of Jenkins so far and have a feeling he could be benched early int he year, that's another big positive vote for keeping Price.

But if the team is of the mindset which I think they may be that Brian Finneran brings just as much to the field as Price does, then it hurts Price.

Basically, it may come down to how safe Mora wants to play it. I think if he wants to give Jenkins and Roddy White significant looks during the regular season, then I think he may have to dump Price. But if he's not too confident in their abilities to perform, then keeping Price is the smart move. We know what we have in Price. Jenkins/Roddy are wildcards. That's why I'm thinking Mora is going to be a bit more conservative on this one, and I think there's a 55-60% chance Peerless stays. But we'll see, how quickly he bounces back from injury will be a determining factor.

And frankly, I'm a bit tired of all this Magner talk. He's going to be right where other past Falcon training camp stars will be once the season starts and when it ends: on the sideline. He's not going to play unless injury happens, so what skills people think he has are pretty inconsequential. We've seen it in the past with some guys like Terrence Edwards and Eugene Baker, looking very promising in the summer. But come regular season, they do absolutely little, and thus far wind up doing absolutely little in the NFL.

Now I hope Magner does turn into a quality NFL player, but I'm not going to hold my breath, especially on what he can contribute this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:05 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i have never been a Price fan with that bein said i do not think he will be cut before the start of the season he has praticed well and has made all the right moves so he will still be here may not be the number one but will be on this roster as for him and the injury i dont think they will not cut him just cause of that i hope he does make a big jump and i do like our WR cor as a whole could be very very impressive as a group but maybe not as single reciever

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't see it happening this season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:03 am 

They moved Jared Peck from OT to TE, indicating to me that someone over in Falcon land has been reading this forum. I've been saying for several months that Eric Beverly served no purpose on this team. They could get any athletic OT to fulfill the same niche (as a big blockign TE) for much less of a price.

Now it seems that Peck is that guy. It would seem that Barry Stokes has effectively won the #3 OT job I think. That probably means Omi is destined for the practice squad. Which isn't a bad place for him. He needs a year or so to add some strength and technique before he can expected to be any semblance of a challenge for Shaffer. But what I like about Omi is that he's pretty tough in pass protection, which is what we need at LT.

But I'm happy that maybe, just maybe Eric Beverly's expensive ass is on the way out!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:29 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I don't think Omiyale will be cut. From everything I've read and heard, he'll be on the final roster. I do agree that Stokes has probably won a job on this team. Not sure on Peck being a TE though, haven't seen him catch...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:06 pm 

I wonder if the Falcons will make a NFL wide trend of turning average O-Lineman into backup tight ends for maximum protection? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:11 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I suddenly see it happening this season...LOL