It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess I'm surprised, but not really. I knew Peerless's days in Atlanta were numbered, but I thought he was going to stay one more year here and be cut loose next season. Like you said, I wonder if this is making room to sign one of the rook's or too bring in someone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:11 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I thought he would be here through this year as well. But, in all honesty, he dropped way too many passes, and gave up on way too many routes. Also, he only blocked effectively after the coaching staff threatened his playing time last year.

I like the idea that noone is sacred anymore. Reeves played favorites with too many people and put this team into cap hell.

Post subject: Lennie P talks about Price getting cut
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:35 pm 

Falcons release receiver PriceBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive

ATLANTA -- He was neither peerless nor priceless and on Tuesday, when the Atlanta Falcons finally closed the books on one of the most ill-conceived moves in a long history of dubious personnel decisions, Peerless Price became team-less.

Peerless Price
Wide Receiver
Atlanta Falcons

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
45 575 3 12.8 50 103

Despite public pronouncements that the veteran wide receiver had improved his work habits and been a model citizen despite his demotion from the staring lineup at the outset of training camp, the Falcons released Price as they moved toward the NFL's mandatory roster limit that must be reached by Tuesday at 4 p.m.

The release of Price, acquired from Buffalo in 2003 for a first-round draft choice, has been the subject of considerable speculation here since the end of the '04 season. Team sources confirmed the jettisoning of Price who, in two seasons with the Falcons, caught just 109 passes for 1,413 yards and six touchdowns.

Those numbers were hardly sufficient for a player in whom the Falcons invested not only the first-round draft choice but also $12.5 million in bonuses and salaries.

One saving grace, but hardly a consolation they will easily reconcile, is that the current Falcons football regime of general manager Rich McKay and coach Jim Mora were not party to the acquisition of Price in the spring of 2003. Therefore, the tandem really had no loyalty to the six-year veteran.

Who will be Atlanta's most productive wide receiver this season?
Brian Finneran
Michael Jenkins
Dez White
Roddy White

In dealing for Price two years ago, the Falcons made the classic error of believing they could transform a No. 2 receiver into a "lead" wideout. In his tenure with the Bills, and especially his last two seasons with that club, Price benefited from playing with premier wide receiver Eric Moulds. With defenses directing most of their double coverage efforts at Moulds, Price posted a huge season in 2002, with 94 receptions for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns.

Following that season, the Bills designated Price a "franchise" player, to retain his rights and be able to trade him. They found a willing suitor in the Falcons and in owner Arthur Blank, who signed Price to a seven-year, $37.5 million contract that included a signing bonus of $10 million.

In his first season here, Price had 64 receptions for 838 yards and three touchdowns. But in 2004, his numbers dropped to 45 catches for 575 yards and three touchdowns. It was obvious that quarterback Michael Vick had little faith in Price and that the wide receiver was frustrated at times, and did not work hard to get open. Some league scouts contended that, at age 28, Price, never as fast as some people claimed, had lost a step.

The Falcons used first-round choices in both 2004 and 2005, on Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, respectively, in an effort to upgrade the wide receiver position. Price was demoted behind Jenkins at the start of camp this summer and relegated to the No. 3 spot, working out of the slot. There have been recent rumors of unrest on Price's part, and the Falcons, rather than allow the problem to fester, opted instead to cut ties with him.

It is believed that several teams with needs at the wide receiver position will consider bringing in Price to audition. It might be difficult, though, for Price to find a franchise willing to pay him the $2 million he was scheduled to earn in 2005.

The Falcons will save the $2 million in base salary they would have paid Price this year, but the team will absorb a salary cap hit of $5.7 million in 2006.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Price
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You know I think it was the right thing to do, but I do think it could be such a huge risk. Price would have done nothing for us, but if he goes to the Eagles I think we are all screwed. I can see it now, the Falcons bumped from the playoffs by the Eagles for the 3rd time in 4 years with Price having a monster game. Also, if Phili gets him remember that we have to play them in week one and it wouldn't be the first time a team has picked up a Falcons player before they played in the first game of the year to get our playbook. The 49ers did it with one of our QBs a few years back, beat us, then cut him the next week.

MF1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm 

I'd be willing to bet money that Price makes a B-Line for Philly too. He could return to his glory days like he did with Moulds in Buffalo. The Iggles are hurting for receivers too.

Of course on the flip side if we get Simon and he ravages the Iggles backfield it could be worth it :). This could very well be the first ever "waiver trade" in the NFL intended or not intended. Simon for Price... Could be interesting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:12 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Guess I need to double my efforts to get that update done now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:18 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I hope Price does not want to be a number 3 WR. If that were the case, I doubt he will end up on the Eagles. If he does end up in Philly, it will suck for the fact that he knows our playbook. But, look on the bright side, he didnt know any of the routes anyways so he shouldnt be too much help to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:27 am 
Veteran
Veteran

No, a greater separation from the line would give Vick better vision. Last year he took a three step drop and could not see the field very well. He had a lot of batted balls. This preseason he has gone to a five step drop and look how sharp his passes are. Also, correct me if i am wrong, but no batted balls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Look at our top five WRs before Price was cut. All of them were above 6' tall except.....Price. Vick's less than 6' tall. Crump's 6'2.

Could it be that the FO realized that Vick's going to have better success with tall receivers so he can see them over the line? One of the posters on the main board has some stats about Vick to Price stats vs Vick to everyone else, and the difference is pretty dramatic.

I mentioned this last week as well. Most West Coast Offenses are based on big receivers, route running and timing. Yep, as someone mentioned it's nice to have sepetation, but the WCO operates on taking your steps and firing to a pre-determined spot. Big = Better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:14 am 
Former FRN Affiliate
Former FRN Affiliate

MadBirdMike wrote:
I thought he would be here through this year as well. But, in all honesty, he dropped way too many passes, and gave up on way too many routes. Also, he only blocked effectively after the coaching staff threatened his playing time last year.

I like the idea that noone is sacred anymore. Reeves played favorites with too many people and put this team into cap hell.

The Falcons made 2 mistakes with Price... They tried to make him a #1 WR when he thrived in Buffalo as a #2 paired with Eric Moulds... The second mistake was taking a $5 million cap hit next year by cutting him now...

Proud member of Phinfever.com and the Football Rivals Network

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:28 am 

T-ROCKâ„¢ wrote:
The second mistake was taking a $5 million cap hit next year by cutting him now...

Actually... Price is due to make $6.428 million next season so by cutting Price we saved I believe $2 million this year and $1 million next year when it is all said an done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:30 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

i think price is going to dallas to work with beldsoe

Profile E-mail