We are in trouble if.....

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

We are in trouble if.....

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:41 am

...Rossum has to play corner at all this year. He was absolutely brutal. I saw him fall three times and just looked lost the whole night. He is a great return man, one of the best in the league, but he is not an NFL corner.

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Ros

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:23 am

Agreed, he spent more time on the ground than in coverage. Could have been the conditions but still, he has never been and never will be the kind of corner that helps a team.

MF1

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:32 am

Well hopefully Buhl plays well enough to keep Rossum the PK/PR man only.
Fear the BEARD!

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:34 pm

I've been saying this for how long now?

Unless Buhl beats out Rossum he will be our dimeback/nickel.

#1 - DeLo
#2 - J-Web
Nickel - Mathis
Dime - Rossum

All = midgets, which = not good, which = physical recievers like say....Muhammad having there way with us.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:22 pm

What is really ironic is that the NFC South is built on BIG receivers. Not so much speed receivers but big physical receivers. We have officially adopted that model with R. White, Jenkins, and Finneran. I never understood why we keep getting midget DB's. I can understand DeLo but Webster made no sense and the only reason Mathis is still here is because he played over his head last year.

We need more muscle in the secondary.
Fear the BEARD!

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Yup we are in trouble if we ever have t odepend on Rossum to play anything more than a dime back. Even then I don't like seeing Rossum play defense period. Let him stick to ST...I have said before I don't really like any of our corners except for D. Hall. He's big enough and fast enough to keep up with the bigger recievers. His vertical makes up for his height. I'm just gald we have a good front seven. A good front seven can protect a poor secondary. We'll have a better secondary than we had last year at least, Hall will play better, and hopefully Webster won't be hurt all this year like he's been his entire career. As much as I don't really like Webster, he;s better than Mathis. (although when Mathis plays nickle where he belongs, he's not that bad.)

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:48 pm

All = midgets, which = not good

I had to chuckle when they interviewed Leftwich during the game about Jones' catch and he said something along the lines of "We saw they had that little guy (Rossum) on him and we wanted to exlpoit that".

You here that quote alot if Rossum is called to duty.

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Bolden

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:43 pm

I heard the quote as well and thought it was funny AND Rossum even fell down on that play which was his usual M.O. for the game. I guess the league figures if you are 6+ and fast you should be a reciever and not a CB. Other than J. Bolden (who we let go 2 years ago and is 6-3) are there any CBs in the league that come in at 6-2 or taller?

MF1

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Quality DB's that are 6' or taller:

Champ Bailey (6')
Nate Clements (6')
Sammy Davis (6')
Chris Gamble (6'1")
Al Harris (6'1")
Quentin Jammer (6')
Marlin Jackson (6')
Rashean Mathis (6'1")
Chris McCalister (6'1")
Will Peterson (6')
Antrel Rolle (6')
Shawn Springs (6')
Charles Woodson (6'1")
Andre Woolfolk (6'2")
Fear the BEARD!

erik86
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

You guy's

Postby erik86 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:34 pm

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:13 pm

Walls the corner for Denver is around 6'4 and if I am not mistaken he's a FA after this year...

The_Incomparable
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby The_Incomparable » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:58 am

Could someone explain to me why we let Bolden just waltz out of town at the end of his contract? He was better than Webster, especially when you consider run support & health.

Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Postby Capologist » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:01 am

The_Incomparable wrote:Could someone explain to me why we let Bolden just waltz out of town at the end of his contract? He was better than Webster, especially when you consider run support & health.

The drug issue, the age issue, the injury issue. Bolden hasn't done a whole lot since leaving the team...

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Bolden

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:36 am

Exactly Cap, the guy did have a good season with us but he wasn't 'what the team was looking for'. There are certain players we want to be a part of this run and he just wasn't in the same mold.

Hey Dirty thanks for the stats, but like I said only 1 of those guys was 6-2. Looks like if you want to play CB you had better be 6 nada with speed. Can anyone say Jump Ball? Speaking of this, it was nice to see us throw the ball downfield a couple of times to get pass interference calls. I don't know how many times I have had to watch us get burned on those 40 yard deep balls for a flag. I hate the 'throw it up and watch for the flag gameplan', but it everyone else is going to use it against small CBs then why shouldn't we.

MF1

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby starley657 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Here is an updated roster from yesterday. I don't know if it's already been posted or not, but Rossum is a back up to D. Hall.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/depthChart.jsp

Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Postby Capologist » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:51 pm

We definitely aren't overly deep at CB but I really like the way Buhl plays...

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:52 pm

I think size is one of those things that is really overrated when it comes to cornerbacks. Really how much difference is there between a corner that is 5'10" and 6'1"? 3 inches. That amount of length can be made up with a few dedicated weeks of calf lifts.

It's more about how a guy plays the ball than how tall he is. Buhl plays the ball well, Rossum doesn't. It's why Buhl leads the team with PBUs this summer with 5. Sure, if he was 2 or 3 inches taller, it would help, but it doesn't make or break a cornerback.

Height to me is one of those things like 40 time that people invest way too much into numbers. The difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 is the snap of a finger, but millions of $$$ seem to separate rate those players.

I agree, Rossum is average at best as a corner. And although Buhl has played relatively well this summer, I'm not ready to see him getting a lot of work as the 4th corner. Rookie DBs always make a lot of mistakes, no matter how gifted they are. I contend that Muhsin Muhammad wouldn't have gone to the Pro Bowl without the help of Rossum.

I was really disappointed the Falcons didn't really address the CB depth issue in the off-season. I don't think at this point we need to only look at corners that are 6' or taller, but I would agree that getting a bit more size at the #4 spot is helpful.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

MadBirdMike
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MadBirdMike » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:20 pm

I was thinking how in the first two preseason games he looked a lot like "Give up the big play - Ray". He played way too far off the receivers, and could not get to the ball quick enough to keep the them from getting extra yards.

Return to “The Huddle”