It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High School athletes to be tested
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Recently a High School football player collapsed after a voluntary practice in Rockdale County, GA and later died of heat related reasons. The Georgia State Legislature is presently working on ideas to prevent another tragedy like this from happening.

Ideas ranging from placing equipment that indicates heat and humidity at practice fields to pushing all practices back until September 1 are being considered by the State government. Another possibility being discussed is mandatory testing of all athletes in High School sports programs for drugs and steroids.

Everyone knows about NFL players such as Michael Irvin and Randall Moss being caught with illegal drugs and receiving a literal slap on the wrist when an every day Joe would've gone to jail. Then there's the recent Carolina Panthers steroid scandle that also was swept under the proverbial rug. Kids aren't stupid and they've seen these things done by their sports heroes and how those events were dealt with. It may be time to clean up America's aspiring athletes before they enter college, in essence, weeding out the drug and steroid abusers at the teenage level before they become another Maurice Clarrett or Lyle Alzedo.

How do you all feel about mandatory drug/steroid testing at the High School level? There are two counties in Georgia that already require all athletes to be tested but there's about a hundred others that do not.

What's your feelings on this subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

all the high schools in my county require random drug testing for all students who take part in any extracurricular activites, buy lockers or parking spaces....I think it's crap actually. It just seems like an invasion of privacy to me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't have an issue with high schoolers being tested. It is under the age of 18 when their bodies aren't fully mature that steroid use is most dangerous.

As for other banned substances, it's not that big of an issue since I mean most of America, whether athlete or not is required to take a drug test at least once a year. So what if HS kids may have take a few more?

If I'm a parent, I wouldn't mind. And if I'm student, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I wouldn't complain too much either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

When I played, you had to take a physical every year. Why not a drug test at the same time?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

My High School has tested for drugs for as long as I can remember. But then again my High School has a rep for being Amsterdam Jr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:40 pm 

I'm fine with random drug tests. Isn't high school sports the last level of sports not to get some degree of drug testing? If nothing else it's a deterant to keep kids away from getting started on drugs in the first place and I'm all for that.

I know my old high school like vickis' high school is known for extensive drug use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I want my kid tested. He aint got no rights he's 14. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I want my kid tested. He aint got no rights he's 14. lol

That is awsome!!!! :lol: