It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eddie George should be our new TE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know its a crazy thing to say, but George does have the size, speed, and hands to be a quality TE in the NFL. I think had he not been so blessed with speed and running vision, he would have eventually found a home at the TE position in the NFL.

George is listed at 6-3/235, which is about the size of some H-backs in the NFL. I think he could work in a similar role. He has 268 career receptions, an average of about 30 a year. His hands aren't spectacular, but good enough to be a decent target out of the backfield.

HIs blocking needs some work, but he was IMO one of the better pass blockers at the RB poisiton at the height of his career. He has such a strong work ethic, that I think if Mora & Knapp came to him saying that he would be our #2 TE, he would accept the role. He'd also be a decent option at RB in goalline situations, since he's no longer a feature back.

But I don't think the Falcons should be paying Eric Beverly $1.3 million to just be an extra OT. We can an extra OT for a sixth of that price. Blakley has talent, but is he ready to be a reliable #2 TE? I'm not sure. Beating out Eddie George would be a interesting challenge for him.

Thoughts on if it could work?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:05 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Now that's interesting. I know we used FB Keith Byars at TE when we were short of TE's. It never really translated into anything though as he had trouble gaining separation from the linebackers. And his blocking was only so-so.

Phinfever Blog