All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons looking at WR Crosby
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KFFL wrote:
Falcons | Taking a Peek at Crosby
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:44:45 -0700

Pat Yasinskas, writing for the Sporting News, reports the Atlanta Falcons are interested in former Clemson WR Roscoe Crosby, who will be in the July 14 supplemental draft.

Here's a good story on Crosby: link.

I'm sure the Falcons are looking at players in the supplemental draft, any semi-intelligent team would, but it doesn't mean they plan on using a draft pick. As many know, if you take a player in the supplemental draft, you lose the corresponding draft pick in the following year's draft.

I'm not a fan of the supplemental draft unless a really top talent comes out. Tony Hollings is the most significant player selected in recent memory. The Texans used a 2nd round pick on him, but thus far he can be labeled a bust. Mike Wahle and Jamal Williams were too other prominent ones way back in 1998, and both are Pro Bowl caliber players. Bernie Kosar is a former Supplemental guy.

I don't think the Falcons will go after Crosby, but might submit an offer to him if he goes undrafted.

I've heard both the Saints and Panthers are interested in Crosby as well. But right now, our depth chart is too crowded with unproven young guys to afford to spend a draft pick (even a 7th) on another one like Crosby.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If we can get him for a 6th or 7th round pick then I guess it would be worth it. There's no big risk in it, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:04 am 

Yes, one of the things about smart drafting is not trading away future picks, which is basically what the Falcons would be doing here. Why use a 7th round pick on a guy that you really don't have a lot of research on, when compared to the wideouts that will be coming out next year. In that case, you'll have 4-6 months of time of scrutinizing and examining one of those players. With Crosby or any other supplemental player, it will be less than 1 month.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Falcons pick up Crosby, because he has good size, athleticism, and speed, I don't think the team should draft him. If he goes undrafted, it doesn't hurt the team to extend a contract offer with the hope he signs. Although if I were Crosby and I had my choice of team to go to among the 3 mentioned (ATL, CAR, and NO), I'd pick the Saints since I'm more likely to make their roster despite not playing special teams. Crosby would have to show some things there to get a whiff of a roster spot here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:15 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

A 7th rounder, sure. I'm starting to wonder how many draft picks it's going to take to get one position right though....sheesh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:18 am 

I'm of the mindset that if these current guys don't pan out, the only cure we can really hope for is a Top 10 draft pick, or a talent (note I didn't say player) like Terrell Owens falls into our laps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:29 am 

Colts signed Crosby shortly after he went undrafted in the supplemental draft.

I'm sort of glad we didn't get this guy. Right now, I think we are relatively fine from a competition standpoint at WR going into camp. Crosby was big and fast, but I'm tired of going for the "measurables" guys.

We don't need anymore big and/or fast WRs. We need guys with reliable hands that can get open.

Profile E-mail