It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Signing Schulters may have just got a little easier
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:27 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Cowboys, a team that was rumored to be after Schulters signed FS Izell Reese to a one-year contract. Reese is a capable starting FS, so it's doubtful the Cowboys will spend even more money on a guy like Schulters.

It will still be a question of money if the Falcons get Schulters, but with the Cowboys out of the picture, it got a little easier, since it will be harder for Schulters to flaunt his market value around.

But then again, he needs to be cut by the Titans first.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:46 pm 

It looks like the deadline is nearing, but it would seem by the Titans delay, they still want Schulters to play for them this year. And because of this delay, I think the potential for a "reconciliation" is much more possible than it seemed 3-4 weeks ago.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 328/SPORTS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:26 am 

I believe the Falcons recently added a NFLE cornerback and cut K Ryan Rossner. Since the NFLE does not count against the roster, it means that we have 1 roster spot to fill.

Could that mean we are going after Schulters?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I honestly think Schulters would make a difference for this team. We have lacked someone of his quality at the safety position for a while. We could dump Coady and use the extra roster spot on some other area of need. I think a rotation of Scott, Schulters, and Carpenter would be pretty solid. Throw in Heard and Pruitt, and we will have much improved depth and talent at safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:32 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd be very shocked if we signed him.

IMO, we are already better off than we were last year. Ditching Hall, getting a healthy Keion Carpenter and adding Ronnie Heard for depth is definitely much better off than the situation last season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:17 am 

I'm not psyched about our safety position. I really don't think Carpenter is going to be as he was 2 years ago. He was a decent player then, but he's suffered 2 major injuries in the past 3 years, and he wasn't great to begin with. Better than Hall, but not by a whole lot.

The defensive backfield is still the weakest spot on this defense. Assuming the new starters in Lavalais, Hartwell, and Williams play relatively well this year (they don't have to be superstars for the run defense to again good), I think giving up chunks of yards in the air is going to be a major weakness this season again.

Also, although this hasn't been a major concern, what about Scott's switch to FS? It's his more natural position. But how well will he adjust to making the secondary calls this year? He should be fine, but you know I like to worry about things like this.... :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:50 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The safety roles are interchangeable according to Donatell so I wouldn't worry much about that. A healthy Jason Webster is not shabby at all and D-lo is only going to get better. I see more aggressive coverage schemes and improved run defense due to Hartwell's presence. As for Lavalais, he was almost as productive as Jasper despite having less than half the snaps of Ed. I'm more worried about the o-line and Vick's ability to hot read blitz packages...