It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kenyatta Walker under consideration?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's no secret that McKay has given some priority to players he has drafted/signed before when looking for new people to bring here in Atlanta. The list could have been much longer than it has been, but guys like Jamie Duncan, Joe Tafoya, and Austin King have been among some of the names signed since McKay took over.

Another name that is a good possibility of arriving in Atlanta at some point in the near future is Kenyatta Walker. Walker was rumored to be cut last year, and the thinking was that we would go after him them considering the question marks at OT. Walker has been one of McKay's more notorious "busts", but he's still a competent starter that I would say on his good days is a quality starter, and on his normal days is about as good as Ephraim Salam was. Which basically translates to "serviceable."

Walker is again rumored to be cut this year, and it would of course be of little surprise if he winds up here in Atlanta. WAlker has experience playing both LT and RT, although RT is his natural position. But he could definitely come in and challenge Shaffer for a starting spot. Although it may take him some time to pick up on the scheme, if Shaffer begins to struggle a few weeks into the season, the team would have the option of plugging in Walker.

Walker is a free agent after this upcoming season, so even if he remains in Tampa Bay for 2005, he still becomes a possibility to join Atlanta in 2006, considering Shaffer's contract too expires.

Walker is not the type of player that will likely solve our issues at OT, but he's a talented player that is plagued by sloppiness. He is the athletic type of OT that Gibbs prefers, and with good coaching I think he could develop into a more consistent blocker.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:24 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

personally if we went after a new tackle, it should be Scott Gragg who was cut by the niners, he is justa touch bigger then the typical gibbs lineman but he is athletic, and he knows how to block for a scrambleing type qb ( he did it for garcia)
not to mention the niners have used a cut block system for years, and he is familiar with most of our coaches

imo he would be an ideal choice

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 pm 

Gragg is a good fit. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he's learned to compensate over the years with intelligence. He used to be the king of the false starts in his attempts to compensate for his lack of quickness, but he's cut down significantly over the years.

I've never seen Gragg as a guy that has great potential. He too is another serviceable starter that was effective in San Fran's system, which is similar to ours. But I like Walker, because he's young and has the potential to improve under Gibbs teachings. Gragg will be 33 this season and is on the verge of retirement. Plus he doesn't have much experience playing LT, and I'd prefer if the Falcons pick up someone, it should be someone that has played both LT and RT.

Also I think the Falcons should be more worried about the OG position. I still think Dan Neil is on schedule to be 100% this season, so I would definitely sign him. If not Neil, then maybe sign Ross Verba, who can push Shaffer at LT or fill in at his more natural LG position.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:29 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I think it would be interesting but with Stokes and Omiyale, I don't see a roster spot for him this year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:13 am 

I really don't see Stokes making the roster over Peck. I also see Omiyale as making the practice squad this year. So I really believe there is a roster spot for another OT.

Profile E-mail