Yes, in August if he loses his starting job 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but not until after the season 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
No, he's too valuable for the mean time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Do you cut Price?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If you were McKay, what would you do with Price. According to Cap, we'll save $2 million against this year's cap if he is cut on June 2 or later. If we wait until the after the season, it will save about $700,000.

At first, I was thinking that we should wait and see with Price. If he loses his job to Jenkins this summer, then I definitely think he should be cut.

But the recent reports of his eye injury being worse than originally thought, makes me think the team should part ways with him sooner rather than later. It's no doubt the Falcons plan to have Roddy White and Jenkins as the starters for the future, and the future starts now. Some reports are saying that his eye problems are potentially career-threatening. If that's the case, then I think the Falcons should cut the "dead weight" now in June, rather than wait. The cap savings would be big in terms of signing a guy like Schulters and also would help put us significantly towards being able to sign our rookies. Of course, it alone won't solve our current cap crisis, but it will definitely help.

I do believe that Price will be improved this upcoming season, but I'm not expecting him to light the world on fire. He's been a major disappointment, and he's not an ideal fit for this offense. It's very telling when the team drafts a deep threat in Round 1.

I'm not sure what McKay is going to do, but I think the possibility of Price not being a Falcon come August is a lot stronger than I ever envisioned. Right now, I think there is about a 30-40% chance of Price being cut in June. If you had asked me that back in April, I would have said it was about 10%. Six months ago, it would have been even smaller.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:57 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

If true that it would free up $2 mil by cutting him after June 1st, then I say do it.
Our team needs only players that produce, and have a bright future. Price meets neither of those 2 requirements. It's awful that he has the eye problem, it's also awful that guys get older and slower....bottom line, if they don't produce or don't have the ability, then they are gone.
I say let him go....we need the $'s for our future Star WR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:03 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

trust me i want him gone as much as any but right now might be the wrong time wrong place as he would hurt us to much against the cap
he is a number 2 guy and if we had a true number 1 wr he might be ok but right now we do not and he is not a god fit here in that A-Town

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:57 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I think he's definitely overpaid, but who would replace him in the lineup?

Phinfever Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:37 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

News is Mora Jr said Price stays and won't be cut.
Guess he'll get paid handsomely to ride the pine when Jenkins is the starter.

Post subject: I guess Mora likes to see unproductive receivers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:40 am 

If Mora is thinking that Price will remain wit the team why? These young receviers need a chance to develop without Price taking time from them.Jenkins should be very improved,Finneran,and White should be the receivers.We don't need a mopping Price being on the team trying to cause an incident that he isn't playin g enough.I don't have a vendeta against Price I am sure he is a quality person but for the 2 yrs he just does not play like a number1 receiver.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:30 pm 

There are valid reasons for cutting Price and there are valid reasons for keeping him. And I htink the #1 reason for keeping him is the fact that the coaching staff (as I do) believe the passing game will take a major stepback without him in the lineup.

Of course, many believe Price is bringing little to the table. But as far as we know, Jenkins and Roddy White are completely unproven talents. Who knows if they can develop into competent starters. And cutting Price now, puts more pressure on them to do so.

Right now, our passing game is very fragile, and arguably the weakest part of our team. Losing Price is most likely not going to help that. Preferably we could have cut Price and used the $$$ to sign a veteran WR that brings a similar dimension to him like Az Hakim.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:42 am 

Adam Schefter of NFL.com wrote:
(June. 3, 2005) -- After internal discussions about what to do with wide receiver Peerless Price, the Falcons have decided to try to keep him on the roster and restructure his contract. Talks already are underway, and both sides have incentive for finalizing the deal.

Price wants to stay in Atlanta and continue working for the upstart franchise. The Falcons want to keep Price, who has had worked hard this offseason by getting in great shape and catching most every pass thrown his way. Now the two sides need to come to an agreement on what to do with Price's base salary. It seems likely that Price will provide the Falcons with some cap relief for the chance to remain in Atlanta.

Some may be upset by this news, but it is a smart move by the Falcons. The issue with Price is that he's under-producing considering his price tag. Reduce the price tag, and the issue with him is not so grievous.

Right now Price's cap hits are about $3.65 million (2005) and will be around $6.4 million in each of the upcoming 3 seasons (2006-08). The Falcons would be smart to reduce these. I'm not sure about getting an extension to Price, since he still has 4 years left on his contract. But if the Falcons can get him under-fold at a cheaper price. I would expect any restructuring to be a reduced incentive-based contract, with a possibility of voiding it in the upcoming years.

I like this move. It gives the WR corps some stability as Price is going to stay for at least another year (assuming the new deal allows him to stay in 2006), gives Jenkins and Roddy White some more time to develop before we HAVE TO have either fill a starting position.

Price knows the writing is on the wall, and has little leverage against the Falcons. His career has soured since joining Atlanta, and few teams besides maybe Tampa Bay or Oakland would pay premium dollar to get him on their roster. So he knows his best financial security is sticking around in Atlanta for another 2-3 more years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:50 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Interceptor wrote:
News is Mora Jr said Price stays and won't be cut.
Guess he'll get paid handsomely to ride the pine when Jenkins is the starter.

Here's s little confirmation on that from SI's Peter King yesterday:

"9. I think the Falcons won't cut Peerless Price. At least that's what Jim Mora tells me. Now, it sounded like Price might cut himself if he has a lousy summer, but I don't see that happening. Price will have one more chance to be what Alge Crumpler has become in the Falcons offense -- a security blanket for Mike Vick. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/w ... efs/3.html

Phinfever Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:01 pm 

It would seem Price's job is safe for now. But it will be hard for the Falcons to swallow such a large salary for a player if he loses his starting job in training camp. He's not out of the woods yet...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:37 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think too many fans put too much pressure on price, yes I know it goes with the territory or being paid like he is , but I did not see fans booing Crumpler when he had a couple bad games as well as beign injured after he singed his big deal during the season

people just want someone to hate, price is the flavor of the month, I have said it before and I will say it again ,as a whole the falcons have one of the stupidest fan bases in the nfl, it pains me to say it but its true, they look for any reason to b%^& and complain.

I think the line is going to be VERY long after the 2005 season, for people waiting to kiss Price's @##

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:32 pm 

I wouldn't say the Falcons have the stupidest fan bases. Would I call them among the strongest in the league? No. I've been extensively around other fan bases, particularly the Redskins and Steelers. The Steelers have a strong fan base because they have a history of winning. The Redskins had a strong history of winning, but during the post-Gibbs 90s era, there was a lot of bitching and complaining amongst that fan base.

It basically goes with the territory. Teams with strong traditions have a stronger fan base than teams without it. But I think if you give any team a few or several years of disappointment like Atlanta has, and every team's fan will be the same.

It is the God given right of all fans to be whiny little babies. :P Maybe the Falcons have a little more than many other teams, but maybe it's just we have a bit more to whine about...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

oh I will say it,
a large % of the falcons fan base ARE morons, I hate saying it, but its true,
when I read about Price getting BOOED at a hwaks b-bal when he was there relaxing with his family, there is NO excuse for that. seeing Jamie Dukes with a Price jersey on with a big X on it, im sorry there is NO excuse
the same fans who boo Price are the same ones that dogged Finns, Kerney, and Brooking. Price dropped 5 passes last year, as did crumpler, Crumpler dropped even more in 03, yet fans talk abou how terrible hands Price has, and how great Crumplers are.
People just find a reason to hate, and when they dont find one they make something up
and with our face base, unfortunatly they have a mob mentality, "hey this guy said this, it has to be true"

complaining is one thing, flat out hate is another

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:27 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'm working on major cap updates but I do think this number is still fairly accurate. I give him this season to shape up or ship out....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:55 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think so, I think 2 years is a reasonable amount of time to spend getting to know an offense and its players, the question is how much does he need to improve in order to stay???

Vick is still going to struggle, thats justa fact of the learning curve of this type of offense
he should be better but he will stuggle some aswellm
but I think Price has to be around 1,000 yards in order for the idea of him being a falcon post 05 to have any kind of legit consideration

Profile E-mail