It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jake Matthews on Ross Tucker Football Podcast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:49 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://rosstucker.com/podcasts.html

In the brief interview, Jake discusses how he's transitioning to the pros and seemingly doing a pretty job with the mental aspects, but needs to refine the physical parts (like using his hands)

Interesting contrast to Greg Robinson, who is struggling with the mental parts, but excelling in the physical department. I think that was what was expected in both guys.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jake Matthews on Ross Tucker Football Podcast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 am 

My official logo for Jake Matthews:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I am anxious to see how much the O-line will improve with the additions of Matthews and Asamoah. Our O-line has went from liability to a area where we have pretty good depth and their will be some good battles up front. Looking forward to seeing them documented on Hard Knocks with Mike Tice adding commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
I am anxious to see how much the O-line will improve with the additions of Matthews and Asamoah. Our O-line has went from liability to a area where we have pretty good depth and their will be some good battles up front. Looking forward to seeing them documented on Hard Knocks with Mike Tice adding commentary.

....the more I think about it, the more I am coming to the conclusion that appearing on 'Hard Knocks' is a colossal mistake.

Will I watch it? You bet! But, I think this is something that came from Blank. I cannot see Mike Smith 'wanting' the microscope of HBO in training camp. He turned it down before...

Look, despite what a lot of people are claiming, people will and do act differently when the camera is 'on'. We already know that Tice is a 'get in your face' guy. But you have to know when to 'dial it back', or you end up with the Petrino problem. Now, Tice is in his first year contract, and everyone knows he is going to chew people out: how about if he 'overdoes' it because there are 4 camera's on him? Don't think it can happen? Happens all the time. I've seen 'outspoken' coaches be more 'outspoken' because they know they are going to be on TV.... Ryan and the JETS are one that comes to mind...

Also, it puts an emphasis on UDFA's and rookies, who may struggle, and then have to watch it the following week. I just cant see other then for our entertainment, how being on Hard Knocks has ANY positive merits.

In fact, I can only see where it can already mess up a team that desperately needs to improve. And this is why I believe the decision came directly from Arthur. If we have a good season, it's awesome and tickets for the new stadium will flow like water..But if we suck, this gives Blank a videologue out there in the public, so when he fires Smith or TD, he already has a case made.

We all will watch and discuss it here, but I think this was a badly made decision. :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I feel where you are coming from FG. I guess I am in the camp that believes this year is not "the year" the Falcons are primed to compete for a championship. Had they signed up for Hard Knocks last year with the "10 yards away" mantra I would understand the distraction aspect of signing off on Hard Knocks. For me it all boils down to if you are in the NFL and cameras at training camp keeps you from being the best you can be, then you dont deserve to be in the playoffs. I dont doubt for a second that this came down from Arthur and is all about improving upon the brand of the Falcons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:34 am 

fun gus wrote:
....the more I think about it, the more I am coming to the conclusion that appearing on 'Hard Knocks' is a colossal mistake.
:roll:
Just like how Tony Gonzalez being allowed to skip training camp was why Steven Jackson dropped that pass in Week 1? Or why Joplo Bartu got roasted by Charles Clay on 3rd down in Week 3? Or why nobody touched LeGarrette Blount on a 50-yard TD run in Week 4? Or why Julio Jones got injured? Or why the Falcons needed 17 plays to go 10 yards in the redzone in Week 5? Or why the Falcons thought Brian Robiskie was an adequate replacement for Jones? etc. etc.

Look, I know if the Falcons stink this year (which is a possibility), there will be many many people that will blame Hard Knocks and the distraction it created. But it's the biggest pile of BS ever said. Football games are won and lost on the field. And what happens in one week doesn't always affect what happens in the next week. And certainly whether or not you're distracted by some camera time in early August should not really be effecting how you play in October and beyond.

You have to be able to rise up above the adversity of a season. Good teams do that. And if being featured in a documentary television show for 3 weeks in the summer is the biggest adversity you face in a season, you have it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the other 31 teams.

Let's say Brandin Cooks rips Robert McClain a new one in Week 1 and that helps the Saints win? Are we going to blame Hard Knocks for that? Or is it simply a matter of the nickel cornerback that historically struggles against speed once again struggles against a WR that runs a 4.33?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
:roll:
Just like how Tony Gonzalez being allowed to skip training camp was why the rest of the team did not buy into 'rising up' after everyone got hurt?

FTFY :lol: