Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too

Postby Pudge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 pm

"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Falcons looking hard at Vilma; Dobbins & Angerer too

Postby RobertAP » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:51 am

I'm not sure that we should be making any significant moves at this point considering that we'll likely be using Biermann, Maponga, Massaquoi, and Umenyiora as OLB's in the 3-4. ILB's will be Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Shembo. Right there, that's 8 LB's, leaving 3 of our draft picks in limbo.

In terms of DL, we have Jackson, Goodman, Matthews, Soliai, Babineaux, Peters, Jerry, and Hageman. That's 8 on the DL. 16 players between LB and DL. It would seem to me that we're already going to have some significant issues with getting our roster down to 53.

For reference, we carried 14 players between the DL and LB squads last year.

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:16 am

RobertAP wrote:I'm not sure that we should be making any significant moves at this point considering that we'll likely be using Biermann, Maponga, Massaquoi, and Umenyiora as OLB's in the 3-4. ILB's will be Worrilow, Bartu, Dent, and Shembo. Right there, that's 8 LB's, leaving 3 of our draft picks in limbo.

In terms of DL, we have Jackson, Goodman, Matthews, Soliai, Babineaux, Peters, Jerry, and Hageman. That's 8 on the DL. 16 players between LB and DL. It would seem to me that we're already going to have some significant issues with getting our roster down to 53.

For reference, we carried 14 players between the DL and LB squads last year.

The 3-4 changes things. You can never have too many LB's. The Falcons will sign a vet, sooner than later.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:15 am

I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy.

Not too many options out there that look great... But if Atlanta can find someone that can serve the "Mike Peterson" role that would be a plus considering how young the LB unit is now.
Fear the BEARD!

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:25 am

I would be interested in Angerer if he is healthy

Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm

AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Ya, but I didn't realize how small he was. 6'0 and 236 lbs. Our safety (Moore) is like 6'1 and 230.

From piecing together the offseason moves and reading in between lines, the Falcons are committing to stopping the run (?) on defense. I'm not sure a guy at that size can stand up to it for a full season. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Paul Worrilow, 6', 230 pounds
Lavonte David, 6'1" 233 pounds

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 pm

I think height is a little overrated for linebackers. There is probably a floor of about 6' but there are some good/very good linebackers out there that are 5'11/6'.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be 6'1"-6'3" but it isn't the end of the world if a LB is 6'.
Fear the BEARD!

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

I hear ya. I just think run stuffing inside linebackers as your 6"1-6"3 250lb guys ala Ray Lewis.

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 am

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

I hear ya. I just think run stuffing inside linebackers as your 6"1-6"3 250lb guys ala Ray Lewis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/s ... ining-camp

Return to “The Huddle”