It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a game of bones....
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:06 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Caveat:* I am fully aware that the perception of me is that I am prone to hysteria concerning injuries, especially to our esteemed, #8 highest paid athlete in the WORLD QB.. :ninja:

That being said, allow me to put forth this simple question...

What do we do about our backup QB this season? I know, I predicted we would lose Ryan to injury for a brief time last season, and I was proven wrong,wrong, wrong...But, I was not 'that far off'. The beating that man took last season was BRUTAL. It is a testament to his toughness and acumen that he stayed in there and posted good stats throwing to HD and co..

If everything works out as planned, we will address the OL and the 'toughness' issue with FA, the draft and new coaching..But what happens if TD and Smith ( and Pioli ) miss the mark again, and we have a somewhat 'better' OL, but not one capable of keeping Ryan 'clean'?

I say this because even if we get a OL with the 1st or 2nd pick, we still need a lot of things to 'go right' to work..Baker has to stay healthy and perform at a good level, and Holmes has to come in shape, and Hawley cant stink up the joint.

Given all this, we have three choices at backup QB

1: stay pat and trust in Double D, and Seth Rogaine...or,
2:grab someone else of the slagheap...or,
3:use the last pick, the 7th round conditional on a 'prospect' backup QB.

I think #3 makes the most sense. Were not looking for an 'heir apparent'. If we can get someone who fell from the 7th round as a UDFA, that's fine too.

I'm thinking this team needs a better insurance policy then Dom Davis. If Ryan took the same kind of beating this season, he really might get knocked out, and with Blank breathing down their necks, if I was TD and Smitty, this would NOT be one position to ne 'complacent'.

I like this guy in the 7th, or if he falls to UDFA. He would be great scout team and possible push DD.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... kenny.html

Post subject: Re: a game of bones....
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

IS a 7th round rookie QB really going to be better than what we have?

If Ryan goes down for any extended period of time we are screwed regardless.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 pm 

I fully endorse the Falcons spending some extra cheddar for a proper veteran backup. Look at Chicago when the wonder boy Jay Cutler went down McCown stepped in and put up some pretty spectacular numbers. It didn't necessarily turn into wins but you can't really say McCown starting with Cutler out hurt the Bears that much.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I also prefer getting a veteran back-up. The folks who think it won't matter aren't coaches; who will be the ones to look bad should something happen to Ryan and there not be at least a respectable second string back-up.

Look if Dom Davis really played with all the pressure this line gives up; it
would be a nightmare. Sure the line may be improved a little; but that still leaves them pretty bad!!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:30 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I believe we should consider being even more aggressive and use a mid-round pick to get a decent guy who has fallen in the draft. I would love for us to find the next Matt Schaub that will be a solid backup should Ryan go down and be a valuable asset down the road.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:53 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

jagstang76 wrote:
I believe we should consider being even more aggressive and use a mid-round pick to get a decent guy who has fallen in the draft. I would love for us to find the next Matt Schaub that will be a solid backup should Ryan go down and be a valuable asset down the road.

that was my thought as well...but we have 10 spots in seven rounds.

they reasonably cannot choose higher then late fourth or fifth, and that means we solve RB, TE and Safety..

maybe a sixth, but at that point, why bother?

Lets say they choose a pretty decent 'fallen QB' in the third...Lot's of them out there..let us say Mettenberger, AL McCarron,T Savage, A Murray or Boyd: all are know entities down South, and would help preseason sales..Even if they fell to the 4th: what does that say to Mr Ryan?

Isn't that a curious, if not downright dangerous thing to do, when your job is on the hot seat, and you just mortgaged the farm for the current QB, to pick one that could actually 'compete' for the job?

I would grab a guy later, and pray nothing happens to the Golden Goose(tm). If that not unthinkable-thinkable happens, then pin yer hopes on the Miracle, and not on the 'Better Bet'. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd bring in Kevin Kolb for a workout. I'd also give David Garrard a ring to find out how his knee is doing these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

vet

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Ryan will get hurt this year for the following reasons:

1. He didn't get hurt last year
2. Karma/irony. Given all the steps the Falcons have taken and could take (by using a high pick on an OL), it only makes sense that his luck runs out this year
3. The unpredictable nature of injuries

And secondly, the Falcons should have signed David Carr 6 months ago…

Well, here's hoping Dominique Davis/Sean Renfree's time in the starting lineup is very brief.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:56 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

looks like we went slagheap. Start packing your things, Seth :whistle:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/10/falcons-in ... f-mathews/

Photo: Tim McKinney/Cornell Athletics

Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews, whose NFL Draft journey The Post chronicled, went undrafted, but signed as a free agent with the Falcons on Saturday night.

Mathews had offers from a number of teams, but said he felt the best fit for him was in Atlanta. The record-setting quarterback will battle for one of the backup spots behind Matt Ryan.

“It was tough, but I was fortunate to have my family and friends around,” Mathews said of watching the draft go by. “I’m just very happy to be going to Atlanta. It’s a great opportunity to go down there to a very good team and franchise. Matt Ryan is someone I can learn from.”

Mathews set 47 school records at Cornell, but NFL teams questioned the level of competition he faced and his speed. Mathews said he hopes to prove them wrong.

“There’s always a reason to have a chip on your shoulder,” Mathews said. “This is definitely one of them.”