It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Can't wait to see the comments a flowin'....

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... d_16203361

Post subject: Re: So, thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The Falcons brought in defensive-minded Mike Smith

Perhaps this guy should check out our defensive rankings for the duration of Smith's tenure.

Belichick has been incredible. Hard to argue that he's the best GM/Coach in the business at this point.

The Seahawks have built themselves a heck of a powerhouse. They're strong on both sides of the ball.

Harbaugh and Baalke have also built a powerhouse, and they've done it with inconsistent QB play.

Sean Payton IS New Orleans. We saw what happens when he's not there. Loomis seems to be average in terms of acquiring talent, which is better than Dimitroff.

I just don't see Smith and Dimitroff in the same class as the others. Smith and Dimitroff are riding on Matt Ryan's coat tails. Dimitroff sucks at acquiring talent, and Smith doesn't know how to make use of the talent that he has. If not for Matt Ryan, these two would be long gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Are you kidding me, notice how nothing positive was worth mentioning after 2008 outside of the Julio trade. This GM/HC duo has only been able to muster up one playoff victory during a six year period that alone should disqaulify them from the list. I agree with RobertAP about this regime riding Ryan's coat tails, if you give Marvin Lewis Ryan he would have played in atleast one SB by now. At a minimum these tandems should've made the list instead of our current regime:

Elway/Fox
Thompson/McCarthy
Keim/Arians
Newsome/Harbaugh

The Bengals would have made it but they have the same FO responsible for drafting Andy Dalton in place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm 

Agree with Robert. Td and Smitty have rode on Ryan's coat tails and failed to build the rest of the team. They better wise up or won't be around to much longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, Ozzie Newsome/John Harbaugh being left off his list really undermines the whole thing. That's like not putting Drew Brees in your Top 5 QB list.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge makes the best point, that's a glaring omission, I think we won't really know where are guys stack up until after this year, but even through homer eyes I can't put them in the top 5.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The move to acquire Tony Gonzalez for a second-round draft pick was a gutsy call at the time which ultimately solidified an area of weakness and gave Matt Ryan a security blanket. Finally, the blockbuster trade of 2011 to draft Julio Jones was the topping on the cake as it allowed them to transition from a solid team, winless in Janurary, into one of several NFC juggernauts. They regressed heavily in 2013 with major losses on both sides of the ball.

Yes, I think Thomas D. did get us out of the gutter his first two years!! It wasn't just Ryan, but Turner made us look good too. Even year 3 was ok, but the last few years our Gm never got us any linemen and never got us any real Defensive gems!! I don't think many good Gm's regress heavily, and play as poorly as we did last year!!

I always thought Coach Smith did about what he should have with his talent and perhaps one year even kept us up, but he's just not going to play flashy football!!

Last year was really bad which takes away from Thomas D. but I don't expect this year to be great either which I believe will have Dimitroff looking very average. I don't see us riding Ryan either, he's good but each year their's a new Qb in the league playing better than Ryan.

Ryan seems to be staying rather stable; while we should win more games and playoff games if
Ryan is really special. Don't get me wrong Ryan is good; but I think special makes you better than Ryan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don't see us riding Ryan either, he's good but each year their's a new Qb in the league playing better than Ryan.

Who? Ryan is steady and proven. You know what you are going to get. Are you going to hang your hat on a young guy who has one good year but going forward is unproven?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
. I don't see us riding Ryan either, he's good but each year their's a new Qb in the league playing better than Ryan.

Ryan seems to be staying rather stable; while we should win more games and playoff games if
Ryan is really special. Don't get me wrong Ryan is good; but I think special makes you better than Ryan.

Ryan has either won games or put us in position to win games despite not having a running game or solid O-line since 2010. Ryan getting better every year and covering up holes that the front office fails to address has bailed TD & Co out. Since acquiring Ryan they have made only two significant moves to help him out adding Gonzo and Julio. The front office has failed to acquire any quality O-lineman , nor make one significant addition to the pass rush so that when he gets us a lead its safe, and no stud RB since the wheels fell off Turner after 2010. This Franchise is riding Matt Ryan similar to the way the Vikings are riding AP.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:47 pm 

Matt Ryan = Chris Chandler - Cannon Arm + Health?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Matt Ryan = Chris Chandler - Cannon Arm + Health?

Matt Ryan = Chris Chandler - Cannon Arm +Health + Accuracy + Decision Making + Health, seems like a more accurate description.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Matt Ryan just took a giant leap up the quarterback pay scale, striking a five-year, $103.75 million extension with the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday that makes him the NFL's second-highest paid player, a person with knowledge of the deal told USA TODAY Sports.

No matter that Ryan hasn't even reached a Super Bowl. His new deal — with a $63 million three-year payout that is the most in league history — contains an average salary of $20.75 million that ranks second to the $22 million average garnered by Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers in April.

Look I knew my post would be unpopular, and perhaps I should have been specific to pay
verses performance. This was last year, and we want more players to help Ryan yet he is paid close to 21 million a year?? I'm not acting like we don't have money to pay, but it sets a bad precedent to get other good players.

I mean we all know he's not the second best Qb in the league but Blank or Thomas D. just way over paid him IMO. I mean I'd take as much as I could get too, but it does take away from the salary cap, making it harder to acquire the better linemen. I just think he's grossly
overpaid..... Perhaps I should not look at his play verses his salary, but he too has only won one playoff game, and never looked great in post season. I've always thought Ryan was good, just not a top 5 Qb.

When you pay for an better than average lineman your looking at over 5 million a year. Sometimes a lot more!!

We need about 5 of them to add to the offense and defense but we always come up close to the cap, and it restricts us in the quality of players we can get.....

Not just Ryan's contract, we have plenty of players overpaid for a losing team!! Someone will probably ask how much do I think Ryan should be paid?? I'd guess about 15 million tops.
Jeez, not 20.75 Million a year!!

You can show me what other Qbs are paid, but you can't overpay players at any position and
still be competitive. We've made some boneheaded bad decisions on players bonuses and salary who didn't even work out!! That's what caught this franchise; when we were good we
were paying players today too much!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Quote:
Matt Ryan just took a giant leap up the quarterback pay scale, striking a five-year, $103.75 million extension with the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday that makes him the NFL's second-highest paid player, a person with knowledge of the deal told USA TODAY Sports.

No matter that Ryan hasn't even reached a Super Bowl. His new deal — with a $63 million three-year payout that is the most in league history — contains an average salary of $20.75 million that ranks second to the $22 million average garnered by Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers in April.

Look I knew my post would be unpopular, and perhaps I should have been specific to pay
verses performance. This was last year, and we want more players to help Ryan yet he is paid close to 21 million a year?? I'm not acting like we don't have money to pay, but it sets a bad precedent to get other good players.

I mean we all know he's not the second best Qb in the league but Blank or Thomas D. just way over paid him IMO. I mean I'd take as much as I could get too, but it does take away from the salary cap, making it harder to acquire the better linemen. I just think he's grossly
overpaid..... Perhaps I should not look at his play verses his salary, but he too has only won one playoff game, and never looked great in post season. I've always thought Ryan was good, just not a top 5 Qb.

When you pay for an better than average lineman your looking at over 5 million a year. Sometimes a lot more!!

We need about 5 of them to add to the offense and defense but we always come up close to the cap, and it restricts us in the quality of players we can get.....

Not just Ryan's contract, we have plenty of players overpaid for a losing team!! Someone will probably ask how much do I think Ryan should be paid?? I'd guess about 15 million tops.
Jeez, not 20.75 Million a year!!

You can show me what other Qbs are paid, but you can't overpay players at any position and
still be competitive. We've made some boneheaded bad decisions on players bonuses and salary who didn't even work out!! That's what caught this franchise; when we were good we
were paying players today too much!!

$15M a year for a starting QB who is recognized as a top 10 QB league wide is ridiculous. I also feel that Ryan is overpaid but only by like $2M so it’s a wash, because if you really want a player $2M will not keep you from getting him. It is not like the Falcons are the only one who has to dedicate about or around 17% of their cap to the quarterback position so the playing field is level.

I also would rather have the problem of overpaying by a couple million for a top 10 QB then having no one to pay at all. I don’t buy the excuse that the salary cap has kept us from getting quality lineman it’s the fact that we haven’t drafted any lineman worth a damn but have dedicated multiple picks to improving the trenches which leads this a conversation right back to the root of the problem TD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 pm 

Ryan's contract screws the Falcons because they don't draft well. A team that can consistently add top-level talent via the draft can handle a $20 million/yr. QB. But since the Falcons have not proven they are that team outside 2008 and maybe 2013 (if Toilolo, Alford, and/or Goodman turn into good players). Constantly trading 1st and 2nd round picks only hurts you there as we've done in 3 out of the last 4 drafts.

Ryan will never be a Top 5 QB, he lacks the skill set to be so unless the next coach the Falcons hire has a fundamentally different philosophy on offense. Right now, Mike Smith is to Matt Ryan what Marty Schottenheimer was to Drew Brees in San Diego. Brees was a very good QB but he was far from great. It was only when Brees went to NO, and Sean Payton built an offense catered to Brees that he blossomed into the HOFer we know (and hate) today. Maybe he'll by default become a Top 5 QB when most of the other Top 5 QBs (Manning, Brady, BRees, Roethlisberger) retire in 3-4 years. But by then, Ryan will be 32 and probably starting to decline.

Well, at least I got to see them play in the NFC Championship game last year. Thanks fun gus. I'll have to treasure that experience for the next 6 years, since that's likely how long it'll take before we get back... :cry:

But who knows, maybe the Falcons will hit out of the park with this year's draft class. And then the following year's, and I'll be singing a much more optimistic tune.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Right now, Mike Smith is to Matt Ryan what Marty Schottenheimer was to Drew Brees in San Diego.

My brainwashing scheme is finally paying off. :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:33 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

I also would rather have the problem of overpaying by a couple million for a top 10 QB then having no one to pay at all.

Then why pay him like he's the best in the league??

Yea he's among many who have about the same stats as to top 10 Qbs. There are a lot of top 10 Quarterbacks!! You think Paying Ryan $15
million would be ridicules?? He's at least 5 million a year overpaid; and that's 25 million over 5 years..... That 25 million could help us build the next 5 years....

It clouds your reasoning that a Qb that has only won 1 playoff game is worth 20+ million!! Really he's good;
but when I was saying others were playing better each year I was referring to someone like
Eagles Nick Foles. Last year was his 3rd year and he had 27 Tds and 2 interceptions, with a lot less passes than Ryan had......

Look I don't like to compare Qbs.... If Pudge doesn't think he's a top 5 Qb why was he paid like
the best?? For those that say this doesn't hurt our salary cap; lets get it out and look. We have others whom are as overpaid as Ryan and consistently we've been up against the cap.

Gosh I know most love Ryan but to not think he's overpaid is crazy!! I believe Blank just did
what he likes to do, take his #1 Qb, and grossly overpay him!! (and do it early as always)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think that he is a top 5, with the potential to be in the top 3, but not under this coaching staff. Matt Ryan could go over to New Orleans tomorrow and put up the same kinds of numbers that Brees has been putting up. On the flip side, if Brees were to come in here, he'd be mired in garbage just like Ryan is.

Ryan has everything you want from a QB with the exception of a cannon arm. You don't need a cannon arm, and you never have. Neither Tom Brady, nor Peyton Manning have very impressive arms. They're marginally better than Ryan, but if Ryan were working with a coaching staff that valued arm strength at all, Ryan could improve to at least Brady's level.

Ryan has put up numbers that solidify him in the top 5 over the past couple of years, and that's playing with a coaching staff that has no clue how to make use of his ability. Under Mularkey, Ryan was majorly held back. He has blossomed a bit under Koetter, but the Falcons still want to dink and dunk the ball down the field. That's the game plan. That's not on Ryan.

If the coaching staff doesn't wake up this year, we need to make a change.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm 

Atlanta had a prime opportunity this past offseason to s***-can everything and let a new coaching staff come in and redesign the team at a time when many parts are in a transitional phase... S-Jax is no more than a stop gap, Roddy is nearing the end of the line, Gonzo retired, the O-Line is getting re-tooled. On defense, well, they never really had anything going in the first place so that is practically a blank slate.

If Dimitroff & Smith fail to retool this roster correctly this year and next year Atlanta is going to have a new regime and rebuild on their hands just in time for a new stadium. That is fairly disastrous.

I'm a bit surprised that neither Dimitroff nor Smith got axed (more likely Smith).

But, despite many pundits and fans decrying the coaching staff for not catering to the skill sets of their various players the regime marches on. I fear that Atlanta's NFC Title game was the last relevant game we've seem them play for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Neither Tom Brady, nor Peyton Manning have very impressive arms. They're marginally better than Ryan, but if Ryan were working with a coaching staff that valued arm strength at all, Ryan could improve to at least Brady's level.

Are you kidding me?? A better arm is a better arm!! I don't know how you say marginally when talking about stronger arms......

Look, I'm not going to write bad stuff about Ryan when I like him..... Its just some here like you just said Robert, think he's a top 5 Qb; well he's not close to a top 5. Brady fires the ball in to receivers 40 yards away; sure Ryan makes some good throws but his ball tends to float on him every so often. Ryan has some very good games; while a few in the league have great games!!

Look if some here want to think Ryan is great then that can be your opinion. Brady has been great, Manning still plays great regardless of the talent on the team..... I think Ryan is a very good Qb, so I'm happy with him, but I just won't pretend he's been close to the best up to now!!

So grill me if I'm suppose to think Ryan is a top 5 Qb, he's good enough to take a good team to a Super Bowl so its not like I'm bashing Ryan, I'm just saying he's not a top 5 Qb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
Quote:

I also would rather have the problem of overpaying by a couple million for a top 10 QB then having no one to pay at all.

Then why pay him like he's the best in the league??

Yea he's among many who have about the same stats as to top 10 Qbs. There are a lot of top 10 Quarterbacks!! You think Paying Ryan $15
million would be ridicules?? He's at least 5 million a year overpaid; and that's 25 million over 5 years..... That 25 million could help us build the next 5 years....

It clouds your reasoning that a Qb that has only won 1 playoff game is worth 20+ million!! Really he's good;
but when I was saying others were playing better each year I was referring to someone like
Eagles Nick Foles. Last year was his 3rd year and he had 27 Tds and 2 interceptions, with a lot less passes than Ryan had......

Look I don't like to compare Qbs.... If Pudge doesn't think he's a top 5 Qb why was he paid like
the best?? For those that say this doesn't hurt our salary cap; lets get it out and look. We have others whom are as overpaid as Ryan and consistently we've been up against the cap.

Gosh I know most love Ryan but to not think he's overpaid is crazy!! I believe Blank just did
what he likes to do, take his #1 Qb, and grossly overpay him!! (and do it early as always)

Can you really consider it overpaying if every starting QB is getting deals around that? Matt Ryan would be making $15M in 2003 but its 2013 and negotiations start at $17M a year for a starting QB. If TD was still signing and drafting players that continue to put forth a subpar performance it would not matter if Ryan was paid $15M, because the problem would remain that TD has stunk it up drafting/signing OL and DL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:41 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I earlier posted this that I found.......

Quote:

So to answer your question at the time of this signing, it was ranked second to Aaron Rodgers, and better than all other Qbs; now that's close to stupid; so of course I think and really know it was overpaying him....Jeez I like Ryan but I don't want all the Falcons I like grossly overpaid!! There are some better Qbs in the league than Ryan, that's all!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 am 

This is the biggest problem the Falcons have OVERPAYING PLAYERS WHO DON'T PERFORM UP TO THEIR ABILITIES.Baker,Blaylock, Ryan this past year,Turner when he was here. I would say Roddy,Gonzo put up good numbers. What will happen to JJ when he gets his new contract? Will he be injured again this year? I would say this is a pivotal year JJ next contract. He is one of the best in the game when healthy but how often is that? I wouldn't pay a kings ransom to a player who is going to miss a decent amount of games.

The Falcons always seem to be in a position of we better pay the players or risk losing him and there is no one else on the horizon to take over. Why? Because TD as yet to find enough talented players to keep the team competitive when it comes to position battles. This is why we have so many holes lack of ability to draft the right players and sign the right free agents. It all comes back to the GM. :idea:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 am 
Superstar
Superstar

thescout wrote:
This is the biggest problem the Falcons have OVERPAYING PLAYERS WHO DON'T PERFORM UP TO THEIR ABILITIES.Baker,Blaylock, Ryan this past year,

What did you expect to see from Ryan this past year? He was top 5 in passing yards and completion percentage. He accomplished that with no offensive line, no run game, half of his receivers out, and no defense. I realize that I sound like a Ryan homer at this point in time, but seriously, how much better could he possibly have done? Who would have done better under the same circumstances?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 pm 

I expected Ryan to rise to the occasion in the 4th quarter and get more wins, This is what a $100 million dollar QB needs to play like. If the team is in position in the 4th to win its up to top 5 QB to win the game even if you have injuries, Smitty's bad decisions. Sure JJ was out a lot however top 5 QBs can overcome it. The off line was terrible however if they have made it close in the 4th QB then your QB needs to make the plays to win.

Ryan was 4th in completion % however much of that is due to short passes the dink dunk we so often see. It explains why he is 20th in the league in yards attempted. Ryan 4th in the league in yards however he did pass the ball 2nd most in the league. He ranked 7th worst in the NFL with 17 interceptions. QB rating 12th. Also despite throwing the ball 2nd most in the league he was rated 9th in touchdowns.

JJ is critical to the passing game however a top QB can still make the plays without a top receiver. Look at Brady when he first got In the league. His receivers were no names yet because of Brady's ability to rise to the occasion made his receivers look special and they won. When you make a lot of money your going to have more responsibility to win. Ryan needs to get better for the team to do well in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yea some make it sound like Ryan did so much more than others!!

Check out Nick Foles with Philly

Mathew Stafford with Detroit,

Cam Newton with Carolina,

Andy Dalton with Cincy

I'm not saying all these players did better than Ryan but some passed almost half as much,
some led their average teams (Newton), some had bad situations also..... These are just a few!!

Yes Ryan did fine for his circumstances but nothing to bring huge praise to him..... He's only paid
over $20,000 a game. He had a fine season but I can't call it great, or really outstanding!!