It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons add Dwight Lowery (S - JAX)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:48 pm 

Falcons are busy today...

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/4/8/5 ... ght-lowery

The Falcons finally have added a veteran safety, albeit one no one saw coming. Lowery is a 28-year-old former Jacksonville Jaguar who has dealt with injury issues each of the last two seasons. When healthy, he started 20 games between

So who is Lowery, and what does he do? A former college cornerback, Lowery is a plus athlete who tackles well, though his coverage skills didn't play well enough at cornerback for him to stick there full-time. When healthy, he's a solid free safety who could serve as a stopgap starter in a pinch, and certainly he's no worse than a third safety. The outstanding question is whether he can stay healthy.

My guess is that this will be a low-cost move for the Falcons aimed at giving them veteran competition at free safety, and as long as there's little-to-no guaranteed money, Lowery is definitely worth a shot. I just would temper expectations for him until he proves he's healthy and in the form that made him a starting-caliber player not very long ago, and I certainly wouldn't expect him to win a job outright.

Obviously, there wasn't much left in the open market. Don't fool yourself into thinking Lowery was on the team's radar this entire time, because even if he was on the list of possible signings, he was behind many other choices who have since wound up elsewhere. All in all, though, I'm fine with the signing.

Post subject: Re: Falcons add Dwight Lowery (S - JAX)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I should just copy and post my post from the NO's safety last week... If he's our #3 safety I like it, if he's our #2 I hate it! In five years he's never started more than 11 games in a season, he makes Baker look reliable :| He's got the physical gifts, and is one of those guys that everyone always thought would be better than he is... If it came down to him or Decoud starting I'd take Decoud :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Not really a physical player but has way better ball skills than Decoud. When he was with the Jets he was a promising player but the additions of Kyle Wilson and Cromartie basically made him expendable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I love this move. Lowery has been a guy I've been a fan of since he came out in '08. He's nothing special, but he's got ball skills, can play man coverage (better than DeCoud), is consistently in position, takes pretty good angles (although like all safeties he'll take a bad one every now and again), and is a consistent wrap tackler.

If he's healthy (which is a toss-up, but that's the case with ANY safety), he's an upgrade over what we've had with DeCoud. If he's not, then I hope Zeke Motta, Robert McClain, or the rookie we draft in the 3rd/4th round is ready to play.

But there are still veterans the team can sign after the draft. Quintin Mikell, Ed Reed, Kerry RHodes, Michael Huff, etc.

Profile E-mail