It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saints match offer for Bush
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 pm 

I'm too lazy to link it. But, the Saints matched the Falcon's offer for Bush.

So, Atlanta is either going to start Zeke Motta, draft a safety, or pray that someone decent gets cut in June.

Post subject: Re: Saints match offer for Bush
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Loomis continues his cap wizardry. I was not overly hyped for the Bush signing but was happy that we added someone with the ability to play FS. That’s what happens when the depth you add at safety via the draft are basically the same player.

With the way this draft is shaping up if Clowney and Mack are off the board and we go OT at six, what do we do in the second round? Do we address the pass rusher and now we have to address Safety in round three? The half ass attempt to improve this team during the FA period now has us in a position where we have to draft for need in the first three rounds. No matter how you chop it we have to go OL, DL, and S in the first three rounds. In a draft this loaded with talent where you could have a potential Probowler fall to you and you have to pass on him because you need an immediate starter at a position of need is not a good look.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Don't forget we also don't have a starting TE on the roster either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
Don't forget we also don't have a starting TE on the roster either.

Sheesh, that totally slipped my mind. So the Falcons have to address OL, DL, S, and TE in the first four rounds no matter what

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We'll probably get a veteran tight end who is average!! Both lines need more than one player.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 am 

There is still Fred Davis and Owen Daniels out there at tight end. How is it the Saints keep finding money while the Falcons just sit around? :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

thescout wrote:
There is still Fred Davis and Owen Daniels out there at tight end. How is it the Saints keep finding money while the Falcons just sit around? :roll:

Owen Daniels signed with the Ravens like 4 days ago...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 am 

ridethemattrain wrote:
thescout wrote:

Owen Daniels signed with the Ravens like 4 days ago...

Well there's another vet off the board. Apparently TD likes to hunt for scraps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Some of you are going to be really disappointed when tis all shakes out. All the holes we have are not going to get fixed this year. Yes, we will be taking/signing a vet or two off the scrap heap for a stop gap fix. It isn't the end of the world. Our needs are just too many.

The only question that remains is what's getting addressed this year and what's not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The problem remains, our drafting has been pretty darn bad for the past several years. Trading away two very high picks for Julio Jones didn't help. If we trade away more high picks to move up in this draft, can we please all agree that this front office needs to go?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Some of you are going to be really disappointed when tis all shakes out. All the holes we have are not going to get fixed this year. Yes, we will be taking/signing a vet or two off the scrap heap for a stop gap fix. It isn't the end of the world. Our needs are just too many.

The only question that remains is what's getting addressed this year and what's not.

If those holes are not addressed and we end up at 9-7 or worse with no playoff berth. I honestly believe that there will be a new regime responsible for fixing the Falcons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Mattural wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

If those holes are not addressed and we end up at 9-7 or worse with no playoff berth. I honestly believe that there will be a new regime responsible for fixing the Falcons.

Like I said, too many gaping holes for one draft. Some areas will be addressed via high picks, some areas are gong to be later round projects and throw away vets. I'm curious to see what the brain trusts priorities are compared to us fans. I guess it all depends on who goes before we pick at #6 as well.

And by the way, TD is safe. Smitty may be on the hot seat if this team is healthy and it fails....he got his one mulligan last season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:26 pm 

Dimitroff love him some UDFA's... Yeah, UDFA's will fix everything!

I'm fairly certain that Atlanta is going to add an OT with the 6th over all pick and that they will go DE/LB with the 2nd round pick (unless a great option is available at S). I don't expect Atlanta to grab a TE before the 3rd round (somewhere 3-5).

Of course this probably means we'll go TE, WR, S in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round with a FB in the 4th.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

OT is not really a need. The Falcons should be able to get by with Baker and some combination of Holmes/Johnson/Carimi/Schraeder at RT. Assuming Baker is healthy. But i think the Falcons will address it early in the draft (Round 2 if they trade up, Round 1 if they don't).

TE is not really a need, as far as getting a starter. The Falcons need another body to put beside Toilolo, because they should be utilizing more 2-TE looks this year than they have since 2008 when they had Hartsock and Peelle. That can wait until Round 3 or 4 or so.

FS is not really a need given that we signed Dwight Lowery today. He's not a stud, but a solid safety. And if you move McClain to that position, you now have a viable backup and should be OK at CB with Wilson & Arenas backing up Tru & Alford.

It'll be a cold day in hell if/when the Dimitroff draft a good WR that isn't named Quintorris.

The only "need" on the roster is pass rusher. THe Falcons can stand pat at the other positions for a year and hope that they are in a better position to address them in 2015. Or they could add some bodies on the 2nd/3rd day of the draft, and hope it works out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:28 am 

If Atlanta wants to be able to come out of the offseason saying "See! We fixed the lines!" They need to go OT/DE in the 1st & 2nd rounds of the draft. I still think if they want to actually fix the offensive line they need to grab Robinson/Matthews and slide Baker over to RT.

The whole "if Baker is healthy" statement means nothing because Baker usually isn't healthy. I want him to be a secondary piece on the offensive line not a primary piece. Sure, Baker is OK to Above Average but again this is "when healthy." That cat has managed to start all 16 games in a season 2x out of his 6 year career. In 128 possible games Baker has played in 71 games and started in just 61. He's managed to be healthy enough to start less than 50% of all the games of his career. In the last 3 years alone Baker has only played in 66% of Atlanta's games and started just 54% of those. If Baker is our starting RT it isn't as big a deal but he's Matt Ryan's blind side and Atlanta needs someone that can stay on the field consistently!

You can find good to great pass rushers all the way into the middle of the draft but rarely do you find a great tackle later in the draft. Atlanta needs to finish rebuilding the offensive line and then worry about the pass rush. Yes, I do believe defenses win titles but the offense is much closer to finishing the retooling process than the defense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If we can run the ball (upgrade offensive line) then that will help us take pressure off of the passing game, and off of the defense. The inability to run is what has prevented us from running the kind of offense that Mike Smith wants to run. (that sentence was running away from me) This is why it has blown me away that we have treated the offensive line with such contempt for Smitty's tenure, and why I believe that there's a major mental disconnect at either head coach, or general manager. That mental disconnect is what's hosing this team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Counting on 4 guys who haven't proven to be capable starters and Sam Baker who's only good on leap years, seems like a plan for disaster. While I agree we need a pass rusher, I also believe we desperately need a tackle as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Sam Baker who's only good on leap years

:rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
Sam Baker who's only good on leap years

:rofl:

Ditto. :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 pm 

DaveWaz wrote:
Counting on 4 guys who haven't proven to be capable starters and Sam Baker who's only good on leap years, seems like a plan for disaster. While I agree we need a pass rusher, I also believe we desperately need a tackle as well.

But he got paid $41 million...he's clearly worth it. And Lamar Holmes was a 3rd round pick, he clearly should be capable of starting by his 3rd year in the league.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:15 am 

Pudge wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

But he got paid $41 million...he's clearly worth it. And Lamar Holmes was a 3rd round pick, he clearly should be capable of starting by his 3rd year in the league.

That was sarcasm about the $41 million right?

I should hope so for Holmes. I'm at least hoping he can be a good/above average RT which as I recall is where he played in college.

I'd still like to have Baker start at RT and have Holmes serve as a back to both LT/RT.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rich McKay at the next meeting:

"Gentlemen, I'd like to tell you the story of a young athlete, and man by the name of Allan Houston, and how he inspired a little idea I like to call the Baker Rule."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

And by the way, TD is safe. Smitty may be on the hot seat if this team is healthy and it fails....he got his one mulligan last season.

Smith didn't screw up last year, Thomas D. did!! Unless Blank has met someone he really likes,
TD may be safe; Blank is really afraid of firing the Gm, because he can't hire.

This team still does not have the players to win consistently!! If we play bad enough Blank will almost be forced to get rid of both Thomas D. and Smith. I'm really sorry but I see us stuck in this hole for awhile. As long as both lines suck the team will suck, and rookie's just can't help that much!!

It seems that Blank & Thomas D. both think last year was a fluke and we have better players than we do. Well I don't see them and 9 wins would be huge accomplishment that I can't see
happening....... Smith would get another job quick, Thomas D. has just let this team get bad quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm 

Cyril wrote:
Smith didn't screw up last year, Thomas D. did!! Unless Blank has met someone he really likes,
TD may be safe; Blank is really afraid of firing the Gm, because he can't hire.

This team still does not have the players to win consistently!!

Smith did screw up last year. The problem Cyril, is that you're basing your opinion on Smith entirely off what he did from 2008-12 and completely ignoring the "red flags" displayed last year. Look, if we're talking about what Smith has done in general over the course of his body of work, there is a lot more good than bad. But you can't simply ignore what we saw last year because there were a lot of negative signs.

From 2008-12, the Falcons relative to most NFL teams never had to deal with major injuries. Sure, a couple of guys like Baker, Spoon and Grimes were beat up over that span, but for the most part the Falcons would only have to worry about a key player missing a game or two, maybe a month at any point.

Smith's success over that span has largely been on the team's ability to keep things close, and then in the 4th quarter turn the keys over to either Michael Turner (from 2008-09) or Matt Ryan (2010-12) to win the game in the end. Before Turner got hurt in 2009, the Falcons were 5-3. Then the team went 1-4 over their next 5 games when Turner barely played, and then closed out the season with 3 straight wins thanks mainly to 2 games against 2 bad teams. Their only quality win came on a last-minute drive against the Jets thanks to their inept red zone offense and a blocked FG by Chauncey Davis. 3 of those 4 losses came in the final minutes. You may recall Ryan throwing a horrible pick vs. CAR in the final 5 minutes, an OT loss to the Giants after a game-tying drive by Gonzo in the final minutes of regulation, and Redman's inability to put the team in FG range in the final minute after throwing a pick to Vilma on the previous drive.

The point is that without their closer, this team couldn't consistently win such close games.

This past year, with injuries to Roddy White during the first 5 games, this team lost 4 games in the closing minutes because their offense could not score in the red zone and finish drives.

After Julio got hurt, and the Falcons beat up on a hapless Bucs team, the ceased to be competitive for the next 4 games because they kept trying to play the keep it close and we'll win in the end. But without the playmakers on offense to keep it close, this team was in a position where they needed to dial things up. But they instead dialed things down, and got blown out in their next 4 games by an average of 3 scores. They kept it close for 3 quarters vs. Carolina, but because they had no playmakers at WR and thus Carolina blew the doors off them in the 4th quarter.

Then when a healthy Roddy came back in Week 12 vs. the Saints, they started to look competitive again. With Roddy drawing coverages vs. NO, guys like DJ and HD were able to exploit the other Saints weak DBs and keep the team in the game. Unfortunately they couldn't close (thanks in large part to DJ's fumble). Thanks to some costly Bills turnovers late, they were able to close the following week to get their 3rd win of the year. They couldn't close vs. GB despite 3 chances to take the lead in the 4th quarter. Thanks to a failed 2 point conversion vs. Washington, they did close for their 4th win. And of course vs. SF and Carolina, they had chances late to close, but Bowman's INT and Hawley's botched snap ruined those chances.

The point is this team is like a baseball team that relies on a good starting rotation of pitchers, and a strong closer as opposed to having any real hitters in their lineup to win games.

But that ability to close has been largely based on health, which is unpredictable. When guys like Turner, Ryan, White or Jones have been injured over the past 5 years, this team has really struggled to close.

Their success has been largely built off luck, not excellent coaching ability. That was the revelation that I came to this past year. Because when presented with that point in the middle of the year where they lacked the pieces to keep things closed, they ceased to be competitive because the coaching staff MADE NO ADJUSTMENTS to try and make them competitive again. Their offense has been contingent on being able to convert 3rd downs, dinking and dunking their way down the field and finishing off the in the red zone, because they have 3 very good receivers that are hard to cover by all but an elite defense. But if you take away just 1 of those guys, most teams are capable of adjusting their coverages (they'll double 1) and hoping they have 1 other good DB to match up 1 on 1 with the other. And that makes their ability to finish drives at negligible at best. In 2013, they were missing 2 of those guys for most of the year, and this team didn't adjust their offense to adapt without them. They couldn't rely on dink/dunking their way downfield because they didn't have WRs that could reliably separate and get open on a consistent basis. They couldn't finish drives because they failed to utilize Gonzo in the red zone and their 2nd best red zone threat sat the bench for the most part (Toilolo), instead opting to go with guys like HD & DJ who are allergic to the red zone. Their defense was the worst it's been in 6 years, and usually around the end of the 1st quarter or midway through the 2nd quarter would crack under pressure and start giving up big plays and long drives. And thus this team instead of trying to keep things close, needed to make the adjustment that they needed to come out of the gates roaring in the hopes that they could build an early lead and just hold on for the final 2-3 quarters. They didn't do this once, outside the Bills game, which was in fact their best offensive performance of the ENTIRE season. Coincidence? No.

If they're healthy, they will consistently win those close games wight their conservative. But if they're not, this coaching staff hasn't shown it's capable of being able to adjust to adversity, and this is team that when missing one of their Big 4, is like 4-12 in close games.

The key to the Falcons success hasn't been their coaching over the years, it's essentially been their training staff. That's what 2013 showed me.

That doesn't make Mike Smith a bad coach, but it just means he's not nearly as pivotal to our success as you think he is.

But other than that, I think you're assessment of the team is right. They feel like a 9-7 team, but that will largely be dependent on their ability to stay healthy for the majority of the season.

Profile E-mail