It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons sign Saints S (ex-Falcon) Rafael Bush to Offer Sheet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:08 pm 

I love the move... Low risk/high reward potential. Worst case we have a quality depth player.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/4/3/5 ... ffer-sheet

Rafael Bush began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent with the 2010 Falcons. Four years later, he may be coming home:

A caveat: The Saints can match this deal, so Bush isn't necessarily in Atlanta for certain. It is a strong bet, though.

The Falcons don't have to give the Saints any draft picks in exchange for the right to sign away Bush, because he was originally a UDFA and he was tendered at the original round level. Contract terms are not immediately available, but it's likely to be a fairly affordable deal, given Bush's career arc to this point. It's also fair to assume that the team will sink a draft pick on the second or third day to give them a player to compete with Bush if he does wind up at the Georgia Dome, but he's likely the favorite for the starting free safety gig in Atlanta in 2014.

Bush's potential Atlanta return to the Falcons comes after an interesting career path to this point. He was on the active roster briefly in 2010 before being cut and signed back to the practice squad in 2011. The Broncos then stole him away for a year before he signed with the Saints, where he played 29 games in two seasons with six starts. In those games, he managed 60 tackles, 6 pass deflections and an interception. He developed about as well as the Falcons might have hoped, but unfortunately he wasn't in Atlanta as he was doing so.

Bush is still just 26, so it's not just possible but probable that his best days are ahead of him. The Falcons will take that gamble, and if he can't quite hack it long-term, he'll be quality depth at the very least. As I said above, there's likely to be a rookie to compete with, but certainly he's got the capability to be a quality starter for a team hurting at safety.

This possibility has been kicking around for a bit, but appreciative hat tip for KMarch, who was among the first to bring up the possibility back on March 12th. We generate some good ideas in the comments here, and this is a good idea. Given how barren the cupboard was, getting a young safety with some upside is about the best possible move. A conditional welcome home, Rafael Bush.

Post subject: Re: Falcons sign Saints S (ex-Falcon) Rafael Bush to Offer S
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Best case is probably that he's a quality depth guy.

He's really a dime back, and I'm not sure he'll be anything more than that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riU4cCK-1So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6VfUHe0CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeDWmGvz1E

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3zLXbfV5zQ

methinks this is more then just 'quality depth'. if we has Bush vs the 49'ers we might have made it to the KatrinaDome...dude can hit and tackle. Asante and DeCouldn't were 'turrible' at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRUTHGLu9s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:29 am 

More importantly the Falcons are actually addressing the lack of depth with a quality player who could start for periods. Atlanta at many positions have no capable quality backups.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
More importantly the Falcons are actually addressing the lack of depth with a quality player who could start for periods. Atlanta at many positions have no capable quality backups.

I'm thinking your definition and my definition of "quality" is different.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:57 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:

I'm thinking your definition and my definition of "quality" is different.

You don't need a starter caliber player on the bench. You need a role player that can fill in with different packages and possibly start and hold down the role for a game or two. That is exactly what Bush is.

In the days of the cap the only way you get better then that is if you get lucky enough to find someone late in the draft or grab a UDFA that blossoms into a more elite player. But eventually that you're going to have to pay that cat as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If he's gonna be our third safety I love it, if they plan on him as a starter I hate it. Too early to tell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:31 am 

Here's another great tackle by Bush…

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... c502e0725b

NOT!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Here's another great tackle by Bush…

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... c502e0725b

NOT!

we could play that game with Thomas DeCant all day. At least Bush can drop the hammer. after laying out some of thses guys, they wanted nothing to do with the middle....In our case, they gashed us up the middle so much they should have renamed us the Atlanta Fatty Arbuckles 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Very rare that I completely agree with Fun Gus and give a big thumbs down to Pudge. It's odd that Pudge has been preaching about wanting depth at safety for months. He wanted a veteran presence, just in case someone gets injured. Now the Falcons potentially get one and he starts complaining. Sometimes the Falcons just can't win with their fanbase....

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:39 pm 

Complaining? Clearly we have very different definitions on that word, because I'm trying to see where I've complained about Bush?

Pointing out that he completely whiffed on a tackle against Marshawn Lynch in the playoffs last year is considered complaining now?

Fun gus is saying that Bush being on the team would have meant the difference between us going to the SUper Bowl in 2012? That's the most laughable thing I've ever heard. I was 6 inches away from fun gus for half of that game, but it's very clear that we saw 2 completely different games. The 49ers utterly dominated every single aspect of our defense in that game. Having a backup safety like Bush wouldn't have made any difference.

Can he hit? Yes. Is he a quality starter? That remains to be seen. The Saints played big nickel and dime a lot last year. Bush started the year as their dime back, behind the likes of Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper, two safeties that I'm sure many here wouldn't consider to be clear upgrades over DeCoud. Then when guys like Harper and Vaccaro got nicked up, he was moved up into the nickel. He played the deep half while Jenkins would cover the slot. He'll be asked to cover the deep half here in Atlanta, but he'll also be asked to cover slot receivers. He played nickel (i.e. slot corner) with us during the preseason in 2011, but my recollection was he was only adequate in that role.

If he's such a "stud," why didn't the Falcons put a waiver claim on him prior to the start of the 2012 season? They had a chance when the Broncos cut him, but they didn't because apparently they felt guys like Chris Hope, Charles Mitchell were better options. Makes you wonder what has happened in the past 1.5 years that has made the Falcons rethink Bush...

He's probably an adequate stopgap starter, that is ideally suited for being a backup IMO.

The sentiment I see on this board is the same I saw on twitter. People are desperate for anybody at safety that they are making Bush out to be more than what he is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:58 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

[quote="Pudge"]Fun gus is saying that Bush being on the team would have meant the difference between us going to the SUper Bowl in 2012? That's the most laughable thing I've ever heard. I was 6 inches away from fun gus for half of that game, but it's very clear that we saw 2 completely different games. The 49ers utterly dominated every single aspect of our defense in that game. Having a backup safety like Bush wouldn't have made any difference.

Can he hit? Yes. Is he a quality starter? That remains to be seen. The Saints played big nickel and dime a lot last year. Bush started the year as their dime back, behind the likes of Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper, two safeties that I'm sure many here wouldn't consider to be clear upgrades over DeCoud. Then when guys like Harper and Vaccaro got nicked up, he was moved up into the nickel. He played the deep half while Jenkins would cover the slot. He'll be asked to cover the deep half here in Atlanta, but he'll also be asked to cover slot receivers. He played nickel (i.e. slot corner) with us during the preseason in 2011, but my recollection was he was only adequate in that role.

If he's such a "stud," why didn't the Falcons put a waiver claim on him prior to the start of the 2012 season? They had a chance when the Broncos cut him, but they didn't because apparently they felt guys like Chris Hope, Charles Mitchell were better options. Makes you wonder what has happened in the past 1.5 years that has made the Falcons rethink Bush...

[quote]

oh, come on man, I have said many things that are more laughable then that..please dont sell me short.

as for why he wasn't claimed, that had crossed my mind as well. this is probably a bad excuse, but is it possible that in 2011-12 our scouts and F.O. would not be objective enough to admit maybe they got something wrong, and a 4-12 season with the owner on your a$$ caused them to 'open thier eyes'? just a thought

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:44 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Falcons offer Bush two years, $4.5 million

April, 5, 2014
10:30 AM ET

By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com

The offer sheet that restricted free-agent safety Rafael Bush signed with the Atlanta Falcons is worth $4.5 million over two years, a league source told The Advocate. The source also said Bush is hoping the New Orleans Saints won’t match the deal because Atlanta is offering a chance at a starting job.

New Orleans has until Tuesday to match the Falcons’ offer. If the Saints don’t match the offer, they will not receive any draft pick compensation from Atlanta.

The Saints have certainly been acting like a team that’s prepared to let Bush go this week. They agreed to deals with veteran cornerback Champ Bailey and former Canadian Football League safety Marcus Ball to add depth to their secondary.

Letting Bush go would free up $1.4 million in salary-cap space -- which the Saints probably need to be able to fit Bailey’s new deal under the cap. Bailey’s deal is worth up to $7 million, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Bush, 26, was expected to resume his role as the Saints’ No. 3 safety, which was practically a full-time job the way the Saints liked to use three safeties last year. The hard-hitting safety played 67 percent of the Saints’ defensive snaps when he was healthy last year (he missed three games due to injury). He finished with a career-high 42 tackles and five pass defenses.

The Falcons, however, are offering an even greater opportunity. They have a vacancy in their starting lineup since they decided to release veteran Thomas DeCoud last month.

Bush would become the second-most experienced safety on the Falcons’ roster. And he is friends with the Falcons’ other starting safety, William Moore -- making the switch even more attractive.

Why Bush wants Saints to let him go

April, 5, 2014
8:09 AM ET

By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons signed restricted free-agent safety Rafael Bush to an offer sheet on Thursday. Since the New Orleans Saints previously offered Bush a one-year deal at the lowest qualifying offer of $1.431 million, they will have until Tuesday to match the Falcons' offer.

Bush would get paid the same by either team, but it appears that he prefers the Saints let him go, so he has a better shot at starting.

"The Atlanta Falcons offered him a two-year deal worth up to $4.5 million to play for them instead, a league source said Friday," wrote Ramon Antonio Vargas of the New Orleans Advocate.

"According to the source, in Atlanta, Bush is being offered a chance to be a starting safety alongside William Moore, a friend. The Falcons’ release in February of safety Thomas DeCoud, a starter since 2009, created the opportunity."

The Saints have Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro atop the depth chart at safety. They also signed Champ Bailey on Friday, though he is expected to play some sort of hybrid cornerback/safety role this season. Bush mostly would compete with former CFL player Marcus Bell for the No. 3 safety role with the Saints.

With the Falcons, Bush would only have to beat out 2013 seventh-rounders Zeke Motta and Kemal Ishmael to replace DeCoud as a starter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:59 pm 

fun gus wrote:
as for why he wasn't claimed, that had crossed my mind as well. this is probably a bad excuse, but is it possible that in 2011-12 our scouts and F.O. would not be objective enough to admit maybe they got something wrong, and a 4-12 season with the owner on your a$$ caused them to 'open thier eyes'? just a thought

I don't have the most "esteemed" opinion of our front office, so the fact that they "missed" the mark with Bush shouldn't be a surprise. But if the team thinks they can trot Bush out to be a "savior" at safety, then I'm not buying. But to be fair, I don't think anybody from the Falcons end has been doing that, it just seems that all the fans are so hungry for someone that is "Anti-DeCoud" that they are making him out to be more than he is. He's J.A.G. (just a guy)

I know that's a disparaging term, but let's not act like we signed Eric Weddle. Bush moves the needle about as much as Quintin Mikell, Ryan Clark, or Ed Reed would, except he's younger and thus means he actually has a good chance to play 2 or more years with the Falcons, as opposed to those other guys who would have been 1 and done in all likelihood.

Bush can hit, but at the end of the day it's going to be his coverage ability that will determine his success in Atlanta.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah, I think the "next great safety" stuff is overblown.

The relevant question should be, how is he compared to Decoud, and compared to guys like Clemons, who we could have reasonably acquired.

Anyone else have a good feel for this? It seems sheerly from stats like he's a coverage upgrade, though he doesn't have good hands. I don't claim to have seen him enough to make the call.

How does he compare to Clemons et al? That's really my question. There were a few 3M safeties out there. We're offering him nearly that much...which only makes sense if he's of similar caliber.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am 

We're paying him because we don't want the Saints to match. That's the thing with restricted free agency.

Profile E-mail