It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'd like to double up on pass rushers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:02 pm 

We've heard a lot of talk about drafting either a off lineman round 1, linebacker rd 2 ,safety rd 3 or linebacker round 1 ,safety round 2 etc etc. Do you think our pass rush problems will be solved with just drafting a olb round 1 or 2? I don't know if Smitty was joking saying we will be a 4-3 base defense.If this is the case will have the same anemic pass rush as before Bierman got injured and Osi disappearing a lot. The way to solve the problem is toe double down on pass rushers. If we will play a hybrid defense then go linebacker round 1 ,def end rd 2. If the Falcons do move up to get Clowney then it probably means giving up our 2nd rounder ,no6 pick and other picks. If some how we could keep the 2nd rounder I'd draft a linebacker.Clowney plus any of the promising 2nd round olbs would boost the pass rush and would setup the defense for the future for awhile.

The game of football is simple win the line of scrimmage, stop the pass with a pass rush and have off linemen capable of pass,run block. Tight end is not a necessity in round 2. A free safety is important in Nolan's defense but that can wait till round 3. The most likely scenario seems to be Mack/Barr round 1 ,round 2 Scott Crighton,Dominic Easley, Stephen Tuitt, Kony Ealy. I'd add Trent Murphy to the list but he seems to be suited for olb.

Our draft would look like this in terms of position.

1.OLB
2.De
3.Safety
4.Tight end
4.Running back

I have neglected the off line I realize this but hopefully the right tackle position can be settled with what we have until the next yr free agency/draft . We can already score enough points even as bad as the off line was last year. We just can't stop anyone on defense which is why my emphasis on the defense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I'd like to double up on pass rushers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
We've heard a lot of talk about drafting either a off lineman round 1, linebacker rd 2 ,safety rd 3 or linebacker round 1 ,safety round 2 etc etc. Do you think our pass rush problems will be solved with just drafting a olb round 1 or 2? I don't know if Smitty was joking saying we will be a 4-3 base defense.If this is the case will have the same anemic pass rush as before Bierman got injured and Osi disappearing a lot. The way to solve the problem is toe double down on pass rushers. If we will play a hybrid defense then go linebacker round 1 ,def end rd 2. If the Falcons do move up to get Clowney then it probably means giving up our 2nd rounder ,no6 pick and other picks. If some how we could keep the 2nd rounder I'd draft a linebacker.Clowney plus any of the promising 2nd round olbs would boost the pass rush and would setup the defense for the future for awhile.

The game of football is simple win the line of scrimmage, stop the pass with a pass rush and have off linemen capable of pass,run block. Tight end is not a necessity in round 2. A free safety is important in Nolan's defense but that can wait till round 3. The most likely scenario seems to be Mack/Barr round 1 ,round 2 Scott Crighton,Dominic Easley, Stephen Tuitt, Kony Ealy. I'd add Trent Murphy to the list but he seems to be suited for olb.

Our draft would look like this in terms of position.

1.OLB
2.De
3.Safety
4.Tight end
4.Running back

I have neglected the off line I realize this but hopefully the right tackle position can be settled with what we have until the next yr free agency/draft . We can already score enough points even as bad as the off line was last year. We just can't stop anyone on defense which is why my emphasis on the defense.

1.OLB/DE
2.De/OLB
3.OT
4.Safety (Terrence Brooks?)
4.Tight End

that is the only way that makes sense to me :ninja:

Dominic Easley? ughh..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think that doubling down is the way to go. We already have a bunch of guys on the roster who can be the #2. We need to get a #1 OLB. We also need to either do more to fix the OL, or we need to bring in another weapon for Matt to throw to. I believe that we should be going offense with the first pick, and OLB with the 2nd pick. I am confident that the, "2nd tier," OLBs are not too far behind the top dogs, and they should be around for our pick in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 am 

I won't be disappointed in drafting a tackle with the no1 pick but if we wait to round 2 for a olb then it will be easier for offenses to neutralize him.Osi,Biermann will be counted on to pressure the QB but will they be around after next year? I think the defense needs two pass rushers not just one. Putting heat on the QB is the fastest way for the defense to improve. I don't have much faith in Biermann and Osi getting to the QB consistently. If we split the draft between pass rusher(olb,de) and off line it just delays the defense getting better quicker. When's the last tme we have had a consistent pass rush?

The Falcons in the past have had good offensive teams but always bend but no break defenses. Against top tier teams your going to need a much better defense to win games. The addition of Soliali,Jackson doesn't improve the pass rush. Include Osi and Biermann your not sure what you get and they disappear in games. Add a top flight olb pass rusher like Barr or Mack it will help but offenses will counter and run away from the olb. We could probably get a decent off tackle even in the 3rd round or 4th. This draft is loaded and with the talent available a round 4 tackle would normally go in round 3 in other drafts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 am 

Most likely the Falcons won't double up on pass rushers.They'll expect Biermann and Osi to live up to their expectations and I predict one year from now we'll be talking about the need for another pass rusher. It gets to be old news same old thing not having enough talented pass rushers and the defense not able to slow down the better offenses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 pm 

I'm fairly confident the Falcons will invest their 1st & 2nd rounder on the lines. If they continue the theme to this off-season it will be continued investment in the lines.

Then next year they can tout the fact that they made all these upgrades in the two areas they got the most heat on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If they do address both lines in the first 2 rounds of the draft, there should be marked improvement in the lines. I would also expect to come away from this draft with at least one additional player that could be a solid role player. I would suspect that next year's draft would be focused on adding another offensive weapon, and adding an additional LB or depth to the secondary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

RobertAP wrote:
If they do address both lines in the first 2 rounds of the draft, there should be marked improvement in the lines. I would also expect to come away from this draft with at least one additional player that could be a solid role player. I would suspect that next year's draft would be focused on adding another offensive weapon, and adding an additional LB or depth to the secondary.

Depends on who they get. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Just because you invest in an area doesn't mean it actually improves. Just see the 2012 draft. Toughening and beefing up the team was the goal in that draft class, and it has thus far failed miserably.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well yeah, the ineptness of this staff's drafting has been apparent. By no measure are their picks, "solid." I still try to give them the benefit of the doubt before the draft in terms of making, "solid picks." At least, they haven't gotten to Al Davis levels just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The game of football is simple win the line of scrimmage, stop the pass with a pass rush and have off linemen capable of pass,run block.

The last time we had a pass rush was probably when we went to the Super Bowl. Thomas D. has completely failed us on linemen always taking unknows in the 2nd or 3rd round who may be average.

Many GMs believe the corner backs are more valuable than linemen but I've never believed this.
Our Offense line has not been improved since Smith got here. Thomas D. loves corners but hasn't added one offensive lineman I consider better than average!! IMO getting Coach Smith has been Thomas's D's only great move!! I mean I consider Ryan a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 pm 

Oh and IMO:

First 4 Rounds - Atlanta

1. OT
2. DE/OLB
3. S/TE
4. S/TE/OLB/DE/WR
4. RB/WR

I think Atlanta needs to actually finish retooling the offensive line and Sam Baker is not the answer at LT. I think he would be a spectacular answer as the RT.

Couple Robinson/Matthews with our current offensive line and I think Atlanta at least goes from the basement to the middle of the NFL for overall protection. You can find good pass rushers in many places in the draft but a quality LT you need to find in the 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll play, I think we do the following.

1.OT
2.Safety
2. DE (we trade our third, fourth and 7th round picks to move up)
4.TE