All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL owners will vote on moving kickoffs to the 40
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 19, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers
Getty Images
Three years after the NFL moved kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35, it may be time to move kickoffs five yards forward again.

The Competition Committee announced today that owners will vote at next week’s league meeting on whether to move kickoffs again, this time to the 40-yard line.

According to the Competition Committee, this is a rule proposal designed to take player safety into consideration: Moving the kickoff will result in more touchbacks, fewer returns and therefore fewer collisions. The NFL in recent years has identified kickoffs as some of the most dangerous plays in the game of football.

The rule would also be viewed by many as a step toward de-emphasizing special teams. (Washington, which was terrible on special teams last year, was the team that proposed the rule change.) Eventually, if the NFL keeps moving kickoffs forward, it will make touchbacks so easy that it might as well just eliminate kickoffs entirely.

It’s not clear how much support the proposal has, but if 24 of the 32 owners are in favor of it, the rule will pass. And we’ll see a lot fewer kickoff returns next year.

Post subject: Re: NFL owners will vote on moving kickoffs to the 40
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I hope that they don't do this. I am all for improving player safety, but if they don't want players being hurt on Kickoffs, then perhaps kickoffs need to go all together, just start teams at the 20. If they vote for this, that's effectively what they'll be doing.

This will also make onside kicks more popular. If I'm a coach with a good defense, I'm going to look for the best onside kicker I can find, and onside kick it every time. If you get the ball 25% of the time, you come away with an extra, "turnover," at least once a game on a short field. The other team gets a short field a lot of the time, but only by 30 yards. You're also going to dish out a lot of punishment against the other team's, "hands guys." So much for fewer injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm 

If this rule comes true there would be no reason to sign Hester.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Actually there is plenty of reason. Hester has always been a better punt returner than kickoff returner. So he can still impact on punts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 pm 

Pudge wrote:
Actually there is plenty of reason. Hester has always been a better punt returner than kickoff returner. So he can still impact on punts.

I'll refer to snarky quotes made on another thread and the Falcon's inability to force punts still nullifying Hester's value.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Another stupid rule change. Football needs to be a little dangerous, the danger is part of what makes it fun. We're all gonna die, let's actually live a little and quite being pussies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:01 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Am I the only one looking at this slightly differently?

I see this as a chance to find kickers who excel at short, high kicks. The ball has been moved up 10 yards, but that means the coverage teams have as well.

If the ball is at the 40, it might be MORE interesting to not kick it into the endzone, but instead force returns..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:06 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'm 10000000000000% against this rule change idea. Kickoffs are the most exciting play in football. Moving it to the 40 takes it away...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You can get hurt in football is so many ways, that changing one play and especially the kickoff
doesn't make since!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:00 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

NFL may use bigger active rosters for Thursday games
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT

Amid complaints that Thursday games force players who are banged up to hit the field without enough time to recover from their games on the Sunday before, the NFL is considering a change: Allow 49, not 46, players to suit up on Thursdays.

The proposal (which is technically a bylaw change, not a rule change) would raise the number of active players for games on any day other than Sunday or Monday, other than in Week One. So that would include the Thursday games in Weeks 2-16, the two Saturday games planned for Week 16 this season, and any other game that happens to fall on a day other than Sunday or Monday for whatever scheduling reason.

If passed, the rule would result in only four of the 53 players on the roster being declared inactive for a Thursday game, giving coaches three extra bodies and giving teams some extra depth.

This rule probably wouldn’t change the fact that players aren’t crazy about playing on Thursdays. But it might be a small step toward keeping players fresher when they’re coming off a short work week. It’s a rule the owners should pass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Still don't understand why they don't just raise it across the board. Injuries kill teams, and having extra bodies in a game could help in every game, not just Thursday or Saturday games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 am 

Yulin wrote:
Still don't understand why they don't just raise it across the board. Injuries kill teams, and having extra bodies in a game could help in every game, not just Thursday or Saturday games.

Agree. New concussion protocol makes it so you can quickly lose 2 or 3 players in a game from suspected head hits. What happened to Joe Staley last year also raises player safety concern, where because you can't activate 9 or 10 OL you risk injury to a key starter by playing him in garbage time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Tony Gonzalez ‏@TonyGonzalez88 6m
The NFL says no more dunking over the goalpost. This one I don't understand. Looks like I got out just in time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The current set of owners under direction from Roger the politician make one dumb move after another. Just like making it a personal foul to use the N word, while at the same time having a team named the Redskins.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
Tony Gonzalez ‏@TonyGonzalez88 6m
The NFL says no more dunking over the goalpost. This one I don't understand. Looks like I got out just in time.

Probably because of the idiots that hang from the things. When I was a kid, my dad told me, "don't lower the basketball goal because one of your idiot friends is going to hang from it and break it." Being a naive little idiot myself, I figured that my friends were smarter than that. NOPE! So much for my basketball goal. We can't have nice things because there are idiots out there that don't respect them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:28 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

ORLANDO, Fla. -- On the third day of the NFL Annual Meeting, the league's ownership got down to voting.
One day after approving a rule to allow referees to consult with the officiating department in New York during replay review, the league came to a decision on the rest of the rule proposals on the docket. Here's a quick summary of the measures, from NFL Media's Albert Breer:

Rule changes

1. The New England Patriots' proposal to extend the goal posts five feet has passed. Let's just call this "The Adam Carolla Rule."
"It just made sense," Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garretttold Around the League's Marc Sessler. It passed "relatively easily."
2. The "NaVorro Bowman Rule" was passed, however. That allows the officials to make the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play a reviewable call. This loophole was exposed when Bowman clearly recovered a ball in the NFC Championship Game last year, but the play couldn't be under review.
3. The game clock will now continue after a quarterback sack outside of two minutes.
Failed proposals

1. Multiple proposals to expand plays that can be reviewed were shot down. The Patriots had suggested allowing all plays to be reviewed. The Washington Redskins wanted personal fouls to be reviewed.
Less than 50 percent of coaches supported the measure to make all plays reviewable, according to the Competition Committee. The committee said the topic inspired a lot of debate.

2. The Redskins' proposal to move the kickoff to the 40-yard line was shot down. So was their idea to eliminate the training camp roster cutdown to 75 players.
3. The Patriots' proposal to move the extra point back to the 25-yard line failed, but the league will experiment with a new extra-point system during the preseason. Extra points in Weeks 1 and 2 of the preseason will be snapped from the 20-yard line. (Making them like a 37-yard field goal.)
4. The proposal to allow an unlimited number of players on injured reserve to return to the active roster failed. Jeff Fisher of the Competition Committee said that vote wasn't close.
No decision yet

1. The abolition of overtime in the preseason was tabled until May.

2. The idea to expand the practice squad from eight to ten players was also tabled. The same goes for expanding rosters for Thursday night games to 49 from 46.
3. The league also put off deciding whether to allow teams to open their roof during halftime at games for weather reasons.
4. The Competition Committee told the Patriots that it will look at the possibility of adding cameras to all goal lines, side lines and end lines. The NFL will discuss the possibility with its broadcast partners.
http://www.nfl.com/n...-to-be-extended

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

NFL will test longer extra points for two weeks in the preseason
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

The NFL’s owners have voted down a proposal to move the spot of the ball on extra points to the 25-yard line. But in a sign that the league is moving in the direction of making extra points more difficult, it will experiment with longer kicks in the preseason.

In Week One and Week Two of this year’s preseason, the ball will be spotted at the 20-yard line for extra point kicks. That makes them the equivalent of a 38-yard field goal — still fairly easy for an NFL kicker, but more difficult than the 20-yard distance for extra points under regular-season rules.

Although the league is probably never going to experiment with any of the wackier extra point proposals like making the player who scored the touchdown kick the extra point, ( :rofl: ) there does seem to be a bit of momentum for changing extra points to make them slightly more challenging — and therefore slightly more interesting for fans.

Right now, extra points are good more than 99 percent of the time, and they usually function as nothing more than an extended bathroom break for fans. The preseason experiment is one step toward making extra points worth watching.

*Fun Gus note: I like the idea that whoever scores the TD has to try to kick the extra point...Keystone Kops comes to mind..of course, they could get injured, or screw up Vegas, so that ain't EVAR gonna happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

ORLANDO -- Playoff expansion is coming. We're not sure when but it's coming and Roger Goodell made as much clear on Wednesday at the 2014 NFL owners meetings.

Goodell said there's a "tremendous amount of support" for expanding the playoffs and wouldn't even rule it out for the upcoming season.

"I think there's a tremendous amount of interest in this possibly to the point of support," Goodell said. "We still want to do some additional work including a meeting with the Players Association."

Asked when playoff expansion could occur -- and specifically asked if playoff expansion was possible

“It's not out of the question," Goodell said of 2014 expansion.

He also added that he "wouldn't rule it out" but that it wasn't entirely likely for the league to expand the playoffs for the upcoming season.

Discussions with the NFLPA and broadcast partners -- not to mention handling the details of what an expanded postseason would look like and who would end up broadcasting it -- have to take place and the league has sort all that out before the season begins.

On the other hand, we're talking some pretty stout additional income for the NFL. Never say never when it comes to money and football and definitely don't say never when it comes to expanding the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Expanding the playoffs is a terrible idea. One of the best things about the regular season is how important each game is, by putting more teams in your also watering down the playoff product. Roger is a Greedy piece of s***.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

DaveWaz wrote:
Expanding the playoffs is a terrible idea. One of the best things about the regular season is how important each game is, by putting more teams in your also watering down the playoff product. Roger is a Greedy piece of s***.

I dunno, if they're just talking about one extra team per yer per conference, it makes seeding at the top and bottom interesting and adds another game to watch.

I think adding 2 more regular season games is more detrimental than adding 2 more playoff spots, and if this is the way they want to move I'm all for it to keep the 16 game schedule as is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
Although the league is probably never going to experiment with any of the wackier extra point proposals like making the player who scored the touchdown kick the extra point, ( :rofl: ) there does seem to be a bit of momentum for changing extra points to make them slightly more challenging — and therefore slightly more interesting for fans.

Right now, extra points are good more than 99 percent of the time, and they usually function as nothing more than an extended bathroom break for fans. The preseason experiment is one step toward making extra points worth watching.

*Fun Gus note: I like the idea that whoever scores the TD has to try to kick the extra point...Keystone Kops comes to mind..of course, they could get injured, or screw up Vegas, so that ain't EVAR gonna happen.

I freaking LOVE that idea!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:25 am 

DaveWaz wrote:

I don't buy this at all. How would a PIT-NE matchup in the 1st round the last 2 yearswatered things down? Or a ARZ-CAR matchup this past year or CHI-SF in 2012?

All it really means is that it opens the door for a couple of 7-9 or 8-8 teams to make the playoffs, so?

I always hear that the reason the NFL is so great because it's settled on the field. So what if every now and then a dominant 2 seed powerhouse hosts a middling .500 team? Just as likely you'll see the latter upset the former.

The only thing that changes is a team like the Steelersmdont get screwed out of the playoffs by a stupid rule which the league is now changing as the NaVorro Bowman rule which is exactly why the Steelers missed the playoffs.

Every year you have like 8 teams vying for a playoff spot in Week 17. The only change now is that 4 of those teams will make it instead of 2.

I'm all for expansion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:06 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
DaveWaz wrote:

I don't buy this at all. How would a PIT-NE matchup in the 1st round the last 2 yearswatered things down? Or a ARZ-CAR matchup this past year or CHI-SF in 2012?

All it really means is that it opens the door for a couple of 7-9 or 8-8 teams to make the playoffs, so?

I always hear that the reason the NFL is so great because it's settled on the field. So what if every now and then a dominant 2 seed powerhouse hosts a middling .500 team? Just as likely you'll see the latter upset the former.

The only thing that changes is a team like the Steelersmdont get screwed out of the playoffs by a stupid rule which the league is now changing as the NaVorro Bowman rule which is exactly why the Steelers missed the playoffs.

Every year you have like 8 teams vying for a playoff spot in Week 17. The only change now is that 4 of those teams will make it instead of 2.

I'm all for expansion.

the argument I have heard is that like the NBA, it diminishes the regular season...When a sh*tty team like the Hawks can make the playoffs every other year or so, only to get blown out by better teams, it hurts regular season sales..

On the other hand, personally, I am for it, because I can see the Falcons backing into the playoffs and once your there, anything can happen :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:07 am 

The NBA regular season is already watered down by the fact that they play 82 games, not because there are 16 playoff teams. The other problem with the NBA is how much better the Western Conference is vs. Eastern Conference.

The NFL regular season will never be watered down because they play 16 games. Maybe if they expand to 18 games and have 7 playoff teams, you could make that argument because every game won't matter quite as much as they did with 16.

We had 13 teams last year with winning records. Then we had another 10 that finished either 7-9 or 8-8. Basically 70% of the league was within 1 or 2 games of making the playoffs last year. That's not watering down anything. In 2012, it was 14 teams with winning records and 9 teams that won 7 or 8 games.

Profile E-mail