It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dont do it, Thomas!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:23 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

1) Houston Texans: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Anyone who says the Texans know what they're doing for sure is lying. This front office doesn't even know whether it wants to take Jadeveon Clowney or one of the one quarterbacks yet. If the 2014 NFL Draft were held today, Clowney would probably be the pick; Bob McNair stated that he was smitten with him, though that was likely an attempt to create a trade possibility. But this reminds me of the 2011 NFL Draft. Both Kiper and Todd McShay thought a defensive lineman would be the top choice (Kiper said Nick Fairley, while McShay suggested Da'Quan Bowers), yet the Panthers ultimately fell in love with Cam Newton.

With all major quarterbacks re-signed, the same thing will almost certainly happen to the Texans, who still have plenty of time to fall in love with one of the signal-callers. Blake Bortles, who has the characteristics of what Bill O'Brien looks for in a quarterback, has become the favorite out of the three quarterbacks. Multiple sources are now leaning toward Bortles, as you can see in our 2014 NFL Draft Team Rumors page. Charlie also reported that two teams in the top five prefer Bortles over Bridgewater and Manziel. Meanwhile, Tony Pauline said that Bortles is the consensus No. 1 quarterback, and that he has been impressive in the interviews.

2) Atlanta Falcons: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
I had the Raiders moving up into the No. 2 slot for a quarterback a couple of weeks ago. I'll predict a more conventional trade this time.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff, who has been aggressive this offseason, has a habit of moving up in the draft. Perhaps he'll do so again for whom many believe to be the greatest pass-rushing prospect to come along in quite a long time. The Falcons could obviously use Jadeveon Clowney; their pass rush struggled this past season, which is a major reason they couldn't beat Drew Brees or Cam Newton.

Atlanta has expressed interest in Khalil Mack, but there are two things to consider. First, Mack may not even make it to No. 6 with the Jaguars and Raiders possibly interested. Second, it could be smoke to make it seem like they're not desperate to move up to No. 2.

For those worried that the Falcons will have to give up too many resources, the team won't have to surrender as much as Washington did to trade up to the second selection for Robert Griffin. The Dolphins, after all, didn't deal much when they went to No. 3 last year. This year's second-rounder and a 2015 selection in Round 2 (plus some third-day choices) could suffice.3) Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo
First of all, the Chris Clemons signing will not preclude the Jaguars from selecting Khalil Mack. Clemons is old (32) and has endured a torn ACL recently. The Jaguars could use Clemons as a situational pass-rusher (like Bruce Irvin in Seattle) with Mack starting at the LEO position.

Second, the Jaguars obviously need a franchise quarterback, so that probably means that general manager David Caldwell won't select one. In the wake of the Chad Henne re-signing, it's been speculated on our 2014 NFL Draft Team Rumors page that the Jaguars will pass on a signal-caller at No. 3 and choose one later in the draft. This clearly isn't a good strategy, but Caldwell is a guy who spent a pick on a right tackle last year because an Internet article told him that Blaine Gabbert would be better with upgraded protection on the right side.

Mack had a great Combine and an even better Pro Day. Chris Mortensen reported afterward that many believe Mack is on Jadeveon Clowney's level. That's obviously debatable, but something that's not is Mack's great scheme fit in Gus Bradley's defense.

4) Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
It's looking like the Browns want to either wait on Marcus Mariota next year - go here for the 2015 NFL Mock Draft - or use their second first-rounder on Derek Carr. I still wouldn't count out a quarterback at No. 4, but it seems as though Cleveland will go in a different direction.

If that's the case, the only player who really makes sense is Sammy Watkins. The Browns had tremendous problems at receiver this past season outside of Josh Gordon. Greg "Mr. Dependable" Little continued to struggle, while Davone Bess was even worse. Watkins, the clear-cut No. 1 skill player in this class, would give Clevland a tremendous duo at receiver.

5) Oakland Raiders: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
I gave the Raiders a Millen grade in my NFL Free Agents Grade page for Rodger Saffold, but that was nothing compared to the embarrassment Reggie McKenzie endured when his owner nullified the signing. Oakland has since met with Donald Penn, but the former Buccaneer is asking for too much money. I guess the good news is that McKenzie learned his lesson and is showing some financial restraint.

Besides, why would McKenzie overpay for Penn when he can grab Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews at No. 5 overall?

6) St. Louis Rams: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
The Rams will be more than happy to trade down to the fifth, sixth or even eighth pick. Not only will they acquire more selections; they'll be able to nab Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews or Sammy Watkins with those choices. Or perhaps Taylor Lewan. Matthews and Lewan are closer than most people think, and I'm getting the sense that St. Louis prefers the latter. Lewan is a better fit for what Jeff Fisher wants to do.

Fisher usually isn't one to take an offensive lineman early, but Jake Long's return for the 2014 is questionable. That's troubling, given that the Rams need to keep the fragile Sam Bradford healthy if they want to compete in the best division in football.

Post subject: Re: dont do it, Thomas!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Mack, Clowney, Robinson, Watkins and Matthews are the 'cream of the crop'. All it takes is one team to pick a QB, and if we dont trade up or down, one of these guys will fall to us...

so please dont get trigger finger for Clowney. If he falls, then by all means. But 2 2nd rounders and a third?

No thanks :snooty:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 am 

The Falcons have too many holes to fill (and depth to acquire) to trade any picks to move up at this point IMO.

Anyways, I would note that drafts never go as predicted and I guarantee you someone the Falcons are interested in will likely fall to them. It probably won't be Clowney or Robinson but Mack or Matthews will probably find their way into #6.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It would really suck to come out of this draft without Robinson, Mack, or Clowney. I know Matthews is talented but after suffering through that last year as a fan you would just like to come away with a dominating/game changer. Robinson while not as sexy as a pick as Mack or Clowney he is a road grader and from day one in the NFL you will be able to run behind him whether he is on the left or right side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:28 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
It would really suck to come out of this draft without Robinson, Mack, or Clowney. I know Matthews is talented but after suffering through that last year as a fan you would just like to come away with a dominating/game changer. Robinson while not as sexy as a pick as Mack or Clowney he is a road grader and from day one in the NFL you will be able to run behind him whether he is on the left or right side.

If they got Matthews at #6, and used thier second pick on Dee Ford, I would be okay with that! I know that it's not 'sexy', but it would be effective...... :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

If they got Matthews at #6, and used thier second pick on Dee Ford, I would be okay with that! I know that it's not 'sexy', but it would be effective...... :whistle:

It would be a nice haul but would it be an elite one? You are getting the 2nd best OT and the 4th or 5th best pass rusher in the draft. My whole thing is when you are as bad as the Falcons were last year you would want to walk away from thedraft thinking that you drafted the best player at his respective position.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

The Mattural wrote:
fun gus wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

It would be a nice haul but would it be an elite one? You are getting the 2nd best OT and the 4th or 5th best pass rusher in the draft. My whole thing is when you are as bad as the Falcons were last year you would want to walk away from thedraft thinking that you drafted the best player at his respective position.

well, to be honest...'Elite' ones, they frighten me. I've been around long enough to see that the difference between 'Elite' and 'Nice' is not that far apart. Remember, we spent our #8 pick in the McDumba$$ era on an 'elite defensive end' who was a complete bust. And alot of this sound and fury will be reckoned out in the fall. Robinson, I could pretty much agree with...But the Insane Clowney Posse? There is a way bigger bust/roi with him at DE, especially since it appears were going with a different D scheme...

And, I take pedigree somewhat more seriously. Trufant came from a pedigree family, and he worked out fine. Matthews is not going to be a bust in the mold of Baker, who again, we jumped up for. He will be a servicable, if not impact player on an OL that has been amongst if not the worst in the league. BPA

with this draft being so deep, and us being so decimated by once again 'jumping up' to get Julio, I would amost find it criminal to let this get away from us when we have an opportunity to patch up as much as we can. ... :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Robinson has the most upside, and as a dominant run blocker probably fits into the better long-term future of the Falcons (because I believe they may have to be more like the team they were in 2008 to win a title).

But Matthews is likely going to come in and be an upgrade right away. And unlike the Sam Baker/Duane Brown dichotomy that was the same, Matthews doesn't have limited upside. We knew that if Baker hit his "peak" he'd just be Matt Light. If Matthews hits his peak, he's Joe Thomas.

If Robinson hits his, then he's Jason Peters/Jonathan Ogden. If not, then he could be Anthony Davis/Levi Brown. Because Robinson's upside is such, I have taken a similar tact as I have with Clowney, in that it's so high that you have to take the "risk" and roll the dice.

But like others, I think it's foolish to trade up for Clowney, if it requires giving up a Top 75 pick. The highest possible pick I could justify trading for him is next year's 3rd, but any trade that involes a #1 or #2 is automatically nixed, and this year's #3 is also nixed too. Thus the only realistic way the Falcons could possibly move up to get Clowney in that scenario is if he falls to 4, and that team is willing to accept us giving them every pick we have on Day 3 and possibly next year's 3rd. Whether that's a truly realistic trade or just a pipe dream, I don't know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
If Robinson hits his, then he's Jason Peters/Jonathan Ogden. If not, then he could be Anthony Davis/Levi Brown. Because Robinson's upside is such, I have taken a similar tact as I have with Clowney, in that it's so high that you have to take the "risk" and roll the dice.

"shaddup, you"

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd be fine with any of the top four, as long as we don't trade up. Matthews is very solid and was more athletic than many thought at the combine. He can be a starter right away and just look at the blood lines :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I agree gus but I have a feeling we'll stay put and watch either Robinson or Matthews fall right into our lap...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Capologist wrote:
I agree gus but I have a feeling we'll stay put and watch either Robinson or Matthews fall right into our lap...

and Im fine with that...but if TD trades up for Clowney, I will start sharpening the pitchfork...

I would pass on him if he fell to #6 if Matthews or Robinson, or even Mack or Barr is there. I just dont think he is going to be 'all that'. Guess we will see ( and my track record hasnt exactly been right lately..)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Posted: 3:32 pm Saturday, March 22nd, 2014
On Dimitroff, Falcons’ draft board and Umenyiora

By Jeff Schultz

I spent some time earlier in the week with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff. The column, which can be viewed online now at MyAJC.com and is in print in Sunday’s newspaper, mostly focuses on how quickly Dimitroff lost the benefit of the doubt with many in the public after the team went from a perceived Super Bowl contender to finishing 4-12 last year.

Dimitroff has made several changes to his personnel staff and the Mike Smith’s coaching staff. He has issued a strong message to everybody in the team’s Flowery Branch complex: “OK. We’re 4-12. Adapt and deal with it.”

I hope you have a chance to read the column.

There are a few nuggets that didn’t make the column so I thought I would share them here:

• There has been a lot of media speculation that the Falcons might release defensive ends Osi Umenyiora and/or Kroy Biermann, or seek to re-do their contracts with the idea of lowering their salary cap hit. But Dimitroff told me neither is going to happen.

Dimitroff on Umenyiora: “We never asked Osi to take a pay cut. As team builders you’re always analyzing the roster and shift into creative mode to find ways to restructure (contracts) and potentially reduce certain salaries. That goes for virtually everyone on the roster. But Osi will be back with us, and we’re happy to have Osi back.”

Dimitroff on Biermann: “Kroy is healing well (from a torn Achilles) and we expect him to be a productive part of our defense.”

• Though I speak to Dimitroff frequently, I hadn’t actually been in his office for a while. He had two very cool additions since the last time I was there: 1) An 80-inch television that hangs on the wall facing his desk. He said he, Scott Pioli and others often will watch tape on a player on that screen; 2) a 60-inch touch screen draft board, on which Dimitroff can access scouting reports and contract information on every player on every team, as well as depth charts for every team.

The long wall in Dimitroff’s office has an old school draft board. Players names, dimensions and bios are on magnets and hang in order of Dimitroff’s ranking. There are separate columns for 11 positions. There is not anything similar to an overall top 100 ranking of prospects, Dimitroff said, “But you can tell who’s still available during the draft just by looking at the top of the board.”

And yes, I was taking Dimitroff’s word for all of this because the board was covered, knowing I would be in there.

“I could show it to you, but then you would tell everybody you saw it,” he said.

He’s not very trusting. Can’t say I blame him.

• Dimitroff said he is “comfortable” with the team’s salary cap situation. At this point, it doesn’t seem likely the team will seek to restructure any player’s contract.

• I’ve written this before but here we go again: Notwithstanding some doubts about South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney’s motivation, Dimitroff and most NFL general managers view him as a special player, one too talented to pass up. Dimitroff reiterated what he indicated during Super Bowl week: he expects Clowney to be off the board after the first two picks of the draft (spots currently held by Houston and St. Louis). So if the Falcons plan to pursue Clowney, they will have to trade up because he is not going to fall to No. 6.

My sense of it is that there’s a chance the Falcons might trade up but it wouldn’t have to be for Clowney. There are other players on the board they like as well, including Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack and Michigan tackle Greg Robinson.

If Clowney, Mack and Robinson all are gone, it wouldn’t shock me to see the Falcons trade back in the round, knowing they can still get players they like with their first two picks. But adding a pass rusher and a tackle remain high priorities.

• My conversation with Dimitroff came just prior to the signings of returner/receiver Devin Hester and returner/cornerback Javier Arenas. At the time he said he was still focused mostly on free agency, not the draft (May 8-10). “We’ll keep our eyes on potential free agent availability over the next few weeks before the draft. But there will be a point where our focus will be solely on the draft. Our goal at that point will be to acquire our final needs in the draft. That doesn’t mean post-draft we won’t look at possibilities. After the draft, we’ll see if there are any potential veterans that fit in.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:31 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Report: Falcons willing to move up from No. 6 in Round One

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 25, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Falcons Training Camp Football
AP
Three years ago, the Falcons made a bold move up the board in Round One to take wide receiver Julio Jones.

Now, it appears they are pondering trading up in the 2014 draft, too.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Falcons “are open” to dealing for an earlier pick in the first round.

The Falcons hold the No. 6 overall pick. The Texans (No. 1), Rams (No. 2), Jaguars (No. 3), Browns (No. 4) and Raiders (No. 5) select ahead of Atlanta.

Any move up the board would not be cheap for the Falcons, given the value of any of the early first-round picks in what is regarded as a deep draft.

The Falcons are not suitors for a quarterback. The big question, then, is whether any of the other five teams ahead of them are willing to take a passer, thus pushing the top talent at other positions down the board. The Falcons’ reported willingness to move up may suggest Atlanta believes it could have to grab an earlier spot to get its desired player.

Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, South Carolina outside linebacker/defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack are among the top non-quarterback prospects in the upcoming draft, and all would fill needs for Atlanta.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

IMHO, if the Falcons trade up, the whole damn staff should be fired immediately. We have too many holes due to the fact that we have drafted poorly, and because we traded the better part of two drafts for one player. Trading up, yet again, should be the last nail in the coffin of this inept staff.

Post subject: Re: dont do it, Thomas!I
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 am 

I don't want to see them trade up but like all draft-related moves, I'm willing to give it some time. As I've said pretty consistently the past 9 months or so, I'm willing to give TD thru 2015 before I start pushing for someone's dismissal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

fun gus wrote:
Capologist wrote:

and Im fine with that...but if TD trades up for Clowney, I will start sharpening the pitchfork...

I would pass on him if he fell to #6 if Matthews or Robinson, or even Mack or Barr is there. I just dont think he is going to be 'all that'. Guess we will see ( and my track record hasnt exactly been right lately..)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-shaun-kin ... .html?vp=1

Shaun King's NFL mock draft 2.0 for 2014

By Shaun King 2 hours ago Yahoo Sports

In a perfect world, NFL teams would address all their glaring needs in free agency, and sit back on draft day and select the best available player with each pick, regardless of position. But we all know the world isn't perfect as draft day selections sometimes make fans scratch their heads.

This mock draft is based on what teams have done in free agency and where that leaves them situated for the draft.

And in case you're wondering where I have Johnny Manziel going, take note that like in my first mock draft, I don't have Manziel going in the first round. The first 32 picks are about minimizing risk and nothing about Johnny Football is without risk. From his size, to his commitment, a lot of question marks surround the former Heisman Trophy winner.

At Manziel's pro day last week, I found the majority of decision makers there were uncomfortable with the language of the music that played during the workout and with Manziel going against the grain by wearing a helmet and shoulder pads.

Why?

Team front offices want to know if Manziel can conform and be just one of the guys. His pro day outfit wasn't Texas A&M gear – it was Johnny Manziel gear. Teams have a concern on whether the pursuit of perfecting his QB skills will ever be first on Manziel's mind.

These are the reasons I don't think Manziel gets taken in Round 1.

Agree? Disagree? Hit me up on Twitter (@RealShaunKing).

Instead …

1. Houston Texans

Needs: QB, OT and safety
The pick: Blake Bortles (QB, UCF) – Teddy Bridgewater is still my No. 1 QB, but based on the information I've attained, barring a trade of this pick, Houston is most comfortable with Bortles. He has done the best among the QBs in the walk-up to the draft, checking off all the boxes for teams. His long-term outlook is excellent.

2. St. Louis Rams
Needs: OL, WR and safety
The pick: Greg Robinson (OT, Auburn) – The safe pick here could develop into the best tackle in the game.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars
Needs: QB, WR and OT
The pick: Sammy Watkins (WR, Clemson) – The Jags lack offensive game-changers, especially with the uncertainty always surrounding Justin Blackmon. This pick fills a major need. The Jaguars pass on Jadeveon Clowney because they signed four defensive linemen in free agency.

4. Cleveland Browns
Needs: QB, RB and OG
The pick: Teddy Bridgewater (QB, Louisville) – Cleveland's brass wasn't at Bridgewater's pro day, so that helps him here. He will get a blank canvas to work with for his private workout for the Browns. Based on his game film, he will make a significant impression. A true QB competition between Bridgewater and veteran Brian Hoyer is on the horizon.

5. Oakland Raiders
Needs: QB, WR and OL
The pick: Mike Evans (WR, Texas A&M) – The Raiders are in win-now mode. They added Matt Schaub and a bunch of older veterans to make a run at the playoffs this season. Oakland still lacks top talent at the pass-catching positions. Evans, opposite James Jones, fills that void.

6. Atlanta Falcons

Needs: TE, DE and RB
The pick: Jadveon Clowney (DL, South Carolina) – Even though the Falcons added/re-signed nine OL/DL during free agency, they'll jump at the chance to add the talented pass rusher. Clowney has taken a beating because of his lack of effort at times last year, but the Dirty Birds will be more than willing to take the risk.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Needs: DE, TE and OT
The pick: Anthony Barr (LB, UCLA) – In a close call, Tampa takes Barr over Khalil Mack. The Bucs need another third-down, hand-in-the-ground rusher opposite Michael Johnson. Barr profiles better long-term with that transition.

8. Minnesota Vikings
Needs: QB, DE and OG
The pick: Khalil Mack (LB, Buffalo) – The Vikings' phone lines will be blowing up with teams trying to trade up for Mack. I'll slot Mack here, even if he won't be in Minnesota at the end of draft night. Having said that, I'm sure a defensive coach like Mike Zimmer has plenty of ways to utilize Mack.

9. Buffalo Bills
Needs: TE, RT
The pick: Jake Matthews (OT, Texas A&M) – With EJ Manuel battling injuries as a rookie, keeping their QB safe is a top priority in Buffalo. Matthews is probably the safest pick in the entire draft.