D Ware is a FA

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

DaveWaz
Superstar
Superstar

D Ware is a FA

Postby DaveWaz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Yet another older pass rusher is on the market. Amazing how time flies, within a few days you can get Juilus Peppers, Demarcus Ware and Jared Allen all as unrestricted FA's.
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!

Spanky Ham
Playmaker
Playmaker

Re: D Ware is a FA

Postby Spanky Ham » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 pm

I kind of hope we stand pat. We have already spent quite a bit of money on FAs.

thescout

Postby thescout » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 am

The Broncos signed Aquib Talib and are going after Ware. They already signed TJ Ward. They just keep loading up so standing pat would not be a good idea. We have much more to do.
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 am

Hell, the Saints managed to somehow sign Byrd and the Bucs added the best open market DE. the NFC South is getting better all around. Atlanta needs to keep pace with our own division.
Fear the BEARD!

Spanky Ham
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby Spanky Ham » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:08 pm

You guys do realize that the winners in March are rarely the winners in January.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Spanky Ham wrote:You guys do realize that the winners in March are rarely the winners in January.

I think this statement is being used as too broad of a brush stroke. I think teams that "win" in free agency do so because they brought in players that compliment their existing personnel and system.

Atlanta thus far has done just that especially with Asamoah & Soliai (assuming we do go to a 3-4). I'm not entirely sure on the Jackson deal but it seems cap friendly for this year and next year.

At the end of the day teams that draft well are usually the teams that win. This is Atlanta's problem today.
Fear the BEARD!

The Mattural
Superstar
Superstar

Postby The Mattural » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Spanky Ham wrote:You guys do realize that the winners in March are rarely the winners in January.

I thought that Seattle won in March last year with the additions that they made 8-).
The Young Gunner

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am

The Mattural wrote:

I thought that Seattle won in March last year with the additions that they made 8-).

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah, people forget that they got Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett for under-market deals. Also picked up Antoine Winfield (which did not work out), and made the biggest move of the offseason by trading for Percy Harvin.

A contrast to what Baltimore did in 2012 which was sign Corey Graham and Sean Considine in March.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Spanky Ham
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby Spanky Ham » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

As John Clayton recently pointed out, the teams that spend the most money usually win one or less games than the previous year. Did the signings in Seattle help? Yes, but they didn't have to go out and overspend for core players.

Another thing that Seattle does (ARE YOU LISTENING ATLANTA) is create competition at each position and they are willing to let the better man win regardless of contract or draft position. If Konz sucks in camp and is still on the opening day roster, then you know they didn't learn this lesson from the Seahawks.

Return to “The Huddle”