It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should Harry Douglas be let go?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:53 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

After I saw Lance Moore being released, I thought of HD. I believe Moore was scheduled to make $3.5 million this year. This got me thinking as HD is scheduled to count $3.6 against the cap. If HD was released, then the Falcs would save $1.8 mill. With the number of veteran receivers like Nicks, Decker, Tate, Jones and Sanders available, would it be better to make a go at one of the vets for a similar price as what HD is costing?

Post subject: Re: Should Harry Douglas be let go?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There is no chance he'll be let go sadly. The front office is probably drooling over his numbers from last year sadly. I take Lance Moore over HD in a heartbeat.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm 

Same here about finding a replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong but Douglas's stats seem padded. What I mean how many important catches does he make. Does he make them during crunch time or meaningless catches when the game is already decided. Why not find someone who can make the big catch and get good stats. Moore is one receiver that as proven big during crunch time. I get tired of just accepting mediocrity when there are better alternatives on the market.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:16 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Love Harry for pumping up the team 'pre-game,' but he is certainly not a clutch player.

We'd likely have a ring had he not tripped over himself against San Fran. Almost everyone on this board would have caught that ball and strolled into the end zone. He was so open that he must have gotten scared. Julio or Roddy calmly catch that ball and high step to the end zone. Harry became a scared 8-year old kid in that big moment. I'm still pissed about it. If I recall we'd have taken a 3 point lead with under 3 minutes to play. I'm not a believer in Kaep, and I don't think he'd have led a drive against us in that moment on that day.

Love his energy, but he is not a clutch player that can be counted on.

And certainly not worth 3.6.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:59 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

:rofl:

The Falcons commitment to Harry Douglas tells you a lot about the people running this organization.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:

The Falcons commitment to Harry Douglas tells you a lot about the people running this organization.

wait. let me get this straight...

when our genius staff left our shiny hood ornaments out on the field injured, and it was time for HD to 'step up', did he fail? :shock:

I am in agreement that in clutch situations he cannot be trusted, but if you need to move the chains to get the ball to Tony in the endzone, did he fail there too?

People are acting like he flat out sucked..That's a little harsh, dont you think?

How about Matt Ryan's 'committment' to HD? Let me ask you this: suppose someone came to Ryan and said 'hey, would you rather us snag you a middling #3 slot receiver/wr and cut HD, or keep him?' ..What do you think he would say? After this horrible year, and HD's stats not exactly terrible production, Im wagering he would say to keep him.

But I am often more wrong then right :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:20 pm 

Of course Ryan would say keep Douglas,he's just towing the company line. Now if you told Ryan we could find a better receiver who can make the clutch catch which would improve the passing game then Ryan would say go for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm 

Keeping lesser players when better players are available seems to be the Falcons forte. It's why they will never be a team capable of challenging for championships year after year unless management changes its thinking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:53 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

thescout wrote:
Of course Ryan would say keep Douglas,he's just towing the company line. Now if you told Ryan we could find a better receiver who can make the clutch catch which would improve the passing game then Ryan would say go for it.

I saw alot of 'clutch' catches last year, one handed grabs by guys who were so far down the depth chart Satan knows them...But I would bet Ryan wants HD to stay anyways..

I dont get that. I dont think that qualifies as towing the company line..Matt Ryan is no wet behind the ears rookie, he is a seasoned vet with numerous playoff appearances, and everything he has ever done has been well thought out.

I think Ryan has some 'chemistry' with HD. If he didn't the guy would have been Peerless Price this year. Thats why I think he would want HD to stay...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... ry-douglas

Im not saying he is the 'answer', but when asked to step up, he did. So why not give him a chance now that TG is gone?

if he sucked last year, Id be on the bandwagon, but he did the best he could do, and he did not 'suck'. :whistle:
awaiting the flames :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think this is a case of the grass always being greener on the other side. HD is a decent #3 who is familiar with our system and qb. I don't see Moore being better in our system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

HD cant get open consistently against press coverage and for that reason alone I would get rid of him, because he will always struggle against the top Defenses in the NFC. Another knock on HD is that he is just not a good fit for what we do on offense he's just not a good vertical target. I would love if the Falcons signed Jacoby Ford or Andre Roberts and drafted a WR to push HD.......off of the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

with all the holes the team currently has, I think if we went WR in FA I might just lose my mind. Outside of QB and kicker, and possibly CB, there is not a better 'set' position. Yes, Im aware of the loss of TG, but if I HAD to go FA to address a need I would go TE, but I could see us getting one in the draft :hihi:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Mattural wrote:
HD cant get open consistently against press coverage and for that reason alone I would get rid of him, because he will always struggle against the top Defenses in the NFC. Another knock on HD is that he is just not a good fit for what we do on offense he's just not a good vertical target. I would love if the Falcons signed Jacoby Ford or Andre Roberts and drafted a WR to push HD.......off of the roster.

Matt Ryan is not a good fit for a vertical offense. In fact, we are not a vertical offense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:15 am 

fun gus wrote:
with all the holes the team currently has, I think if we went WR in FA I might just lose my mind. Outside of QB and kicker, and possibly CB, there is not a better 'set' position. Yes, Im aware of the loss of TG, but if I HAD to go FA to address a need I would go TE, but I could see us getting one in the draft :hihi:

Can we have a little competition for the slot receiver spot instead of just giving Douglas a job? :shock: Douglas as no one to push him thus he'll put up stats but when the game is on the line and White/Jones are covered the slot position becomes critical. Now that TG is gone it will be hard to replace his catches and the slot position becomes even more critical.

I still have nightmares when Douglas is thrown the ball in a critical time he'll have the ball bounce off his hands for an interception killing the drive that could win the game. Bad things tend to happen when Douglas is involved in critical times of the game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:14 am 

fun gus wrote:
Pudge wrote:

wait. let me get this straight...

when our genius staff left our shiny hood ornaments out on the field injured, and it was time for HD to 'step up', did he fail? :shock:

Yes, I think he did…at least by my standards.

In previous years, I had defended HD saying that he wasn't a great fit in our offense (because it wasn't designed to feature a slot receiver) and 4th fiddle to 3 All-Pros.

But this year, he didn't have those issues really. With Roddy injured the first part of the season, HD was basically the #2 WR (#3 option behind Julio & TG) and rarely stepped up. He had a good game vs. NO, decent vs. STL, and made a couple of plays late vs. NE. But outside those moments, he was terrible vs. MIA and NYJ, and extremely quiet in the first 3 quarters vs. NE.

Then he was the #1, had that big game vs. TB. But so much of his success in both games vs. TB was due to Bucs DBs being out of position, not because he was the main catalyst in making those plays.

Then he pretty much did not do anything the rest of the year. Thankfully Roddy came back for the final 5 games and played well, and HD's disappearing act was marginalized.

The issue is that HD had the opportunity to be a significant part of the offense. And while he did produce, anybody that watched the games knows that they rarely ever "felt" Douglas' presence. Then you'd open up the box score and see he had 9 catches for 79 yards or 6 catches for 73 yards and you'd be like "Huh?"

As the Mattural said, HD in the past has always struggled beating press coverage and winning in traffic. The question was maybe HD is more skillful than we think, but being buried behind Julio Roddy & Tony means he never gets the opportunity to show those skills.

Well he had that opportunity in 2013, and he showed that he was who we thought he was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKIcnj1MJY

And now we should let him off the hook. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:04 pm 

I think Atlanta could possibly pickup Hakeem Nicks who has something to prove on the cheap for a 1-year deal (ala Seattle & Bennett) and maybe strike some gold.

Nicks wouldn't be any worse than HD.

Now I have seen reports that Nicks is looking for a long term deal. I don't think many if any teams are willing to commit to Nick's long term and perhaps he'll get that point and opt for a 1 or 2 year deal to "prove" himself to the NFL then go after a long term deal. He seems a bit overly high on himself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

Matt Ryan is not a good fit for a vertical offense. In fact, we are not a vertical offense.

Matt Ryan fits any offense, for the simple fact that he could start a fire rubbing two ice cubes together. Never said we were a vertical offense, but a lot of what we do on offense is predicated on WRs making plays down the field and stretching all four levels of a defense. That was Dirk Koetter's explanation of his offensive philosophy so inturn that would lead me to believe that that would be the offensive philosophy of the Atlanta Falcons.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 pm 

The Mattural wrote:
backnblack wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

Matt Ryan fits any offense, for the simple fact that he could start a fire rubbing two ice cubes together. Never said we were a vertical offense, but a lot of what we do on offense is predicated on WRs making plays down the field and stretching all four levels of a defense. That was Dirk Koetter's explanation of his offensive philosophy so inturn that would lead me to believe that that would be the offensive philosophy of the Atlanta Falcons.

I would only note that if the Falcons traded their franchise for Julio Jones and weren't a vertical offense then Dimitroff should be strung up and shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would point out that it's hard to have a vertical offense when the middle of the offensive line comes apart like wet bread.

I hope that we bring in some tall/fast receivers so that if Julio goes down, we don't abandon all thoughts of a deep passing game. (Note, I'm not asking to use a high pick on a WR, nor am I suggesting that we break the bank for one.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:48 am 

RobertAP wrote:
I would point out that it's hard to have a vertical offense when the middle of the offensive line comes apart like wet bread.

Which is made even harder when your QB and OC show no inclination of trying to call/create vertical plays/opportunities!

You guys can still hold onto your belief that the lack of play-calling was due to fear by the OC and/or QB that the latter would be obliterated. But that "logic" only works in Atlanta. No other NFL team operated that way. Because every other NFL team attempted at least 15-20% more deep shots, including ones with OLs just as bad as ours (e.g. Arizona, Jacksonville, Cleveland, etc.). And for teams with QBs as good as ours, that number was like 50-90% more deep shots.

If you try and fail, that's one thing. If you don't try at all and fail, that's something completely different. You don't get a pass from me for that.

There were many opportunities for the Falcons to take deep shots with clean pockets last year, the team just failed to take advantage. If they operated an offense that emphasized the vertical option, then these would've been seen as missed opportunities, and presumably steps would've been taken to correct this problem. But since they don't have this type of offense and they clearly do everything but emphasize the vertical pass, they are content to settle for dinking and dunking and don't see anything wrong with it at all. :so:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't disagree Pudge. But I think the majority of the blame for that lies with the head coach.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

If Nicks is healthy, then he might be a good option for cheap.

The fact is that with this being a receiver heavy draft the FA class is going to be squeezed. There should be a better cheaper option in FA than HD. If the Falcs have the balls to do this, then they could actually wait another year to draft Roddy's replacement.