It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons bring in Scott Pioli as Assistant GM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am 

Surprised this wasn't here yet...

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that Scott Pioli has been appointed as the club’s Assistant General Manager, reporting to General Manager Thomas Dimitroff. Pioli will join the Falcons on February 3, following the completion of his contract with NBC Sports Network and SiriusXM Radio.

“Scott is one of the most respected and adept talent evaluators in the NFL and a member of three Super Bowl Championship teams,” Dimitroff said. “We have worked together well in the past and been friends for more than 20 years. We have had the opportunity to experience a lot of success together, and I am very pleased that he has agreed to join our personnel team so we can work together again. We have made the commitment to improve every aspect of our organization this offseason, and with the addition of Scott to our personnel department, we have taken an important step to enhance our scouting staff.”

Pioli brings 22 years of NFL experience to the Falcons personnel department, including four seasons as the general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs. He was named NFL Executive of the Year by various national media outlets five different seasons during his career, including honors from Sports Illustrated, CBS Sports, and Pro Football Weekly/PFWA.

Pioli was also named the Executive/Personnel Man of the Decade by both ESPN and the Sporting News, and Sports Illustrated named him the #1 GM/Pro Sports Executive of the Decade beginning in 2000. In his second season in Kansas City, Pioli orchestrated one of the greatest turnarounds in Chiefs history as the club won the AFC West with a 10-6 record and he was named NFL Executive of the Year. It was Kansas City’s first division title and home playoff appearance since 2003. In four seasons with the Chiefs, Pioli drafted Pro Bowl players such as Eric Berry (3), Justin Houston (2), Dontari Poe, and Dexter McCluster.

“Adding a seasoned personnel executive with the track record like Scott’s is in line with our organizational philosophy of making investments in hiring the best people,” Falcons Owner & Chairman Arthur M. Blank said. “This move was made as a result of Thomas’ competitive drive to build the best personnel team in the NFL, and the addition of Scott to his team certainly reflects that.”

Pioli joined the Chiefs after serving as the Vice President of Player Personnel with the New England Patriots, where he spent six seasons working with Dimitroff (2002-07). During his nine-year tenure in New England (2000-08), the Patriots compiled an NFL-best 102-42 (.708) regular season record, won Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX, claimed four AFC championships, and won six AFC East titles. In collaboration with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick and Dimitroff, Pioli saw the Patriots compile 11 playoff wins between 2003 and 2007, the highest total by any team during a five-year span in NFL history. The trio is responsible for scouting, evaluating, and drafting players that were responsible for New England’s unprecedented success during that time.

Pioli began his NFL career when he was hired by Belichick as a Scouting Assistant for the Cleveland Browns in 1992. He spent the next three seasons working as the Browns Pro Personnel Assistant where he was responsible for evaluating both college prospects and veteran free agents, as well as negotiating various player contracts. He was promoted to Pro Personnel Coordinator when the team moved to Baltimore In 1996. In 1997, Pioli was hired as the New York Jets Director of Pro Personnel where he worked before following Belichick to New England in 2000.

Post subject: Re: Falcons bring in Scott Pioli as Assistant GM
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Awesome addition to the front office only his two mistakes were not draft related they had everything to do with the QB and coach he brought in. While in KC he had a lot of success drafting in the middle rounds of the draft something that TD has smoked off during his tenure in ATL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Nah, he had some draft-related mistakes.

Tyson Jackson and Jonathan Baldwin ring a bell? Traded Tony Gonzalez, wound up taking Javier Arenas with the pick they got, who the Chiefs just traded this past offseason for a fullback. Alex Magee is the only former Purdue DL that has stunk in the NFL. And like TD, outside 1 or 2 decent guys (Kendrick Lewis, Ryan Succop), his late round picks (4-7) were about as nondescript as they come.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/8/ ... gents-2012

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1573 ... and-beyond

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Nah, he had some draft-related mistakes.

Tyson Jackson and Jonathan Baldwin ring a bell? Traded Tony Gonzalez, wound up taking Javier Arenas with the pick they got, who the Chiefs just traded this past offseason for a fullback. Alex Magee is the only former Purdue DL that has stunk in the NFL. And like TD, outside 1 or 2 decent guys (Kendrick Lewis, Ryan Succop), his late round picks (4-7) were about as nondescript as they come.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/8/ ... gents-2012

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1573 ... and-beyond

Tyson Jackson while overdrafted has become one of the best run stuffing 3-4 ends in the game and has become a lot better in pressuring the QB in recent years. Baldwin was a miss but every GM has a slip in the first round (cough cough Peria Jerry and Peter Konz who was our first pick of that draft).

I look at the trade of Gonzalez as doing a future HOF a solid letting him get out of town since they were rebuilding and taking a second round pick.

Im including the 3rd round also because between the rounds 3-7 is where he has made money (Jamaal Charles, Succop, Lewis, Houston, Bailey, Asamoah, Stephenson, Hemmingway, and while he was often injured Tony Moeaki was a solid pick).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Good pick up, your not going to find a more qualified guy to take the role of Asst GM.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 pm 

I'm not against the Pioli hire by any means. Always in favor of bringing in a fresh set of eyes and ideas into your organization. It's a collaborative process (or at least it should be).

But Tyson Jackson = Jamaal Anderson, no ifs ands or buts about it. You can't talk him up and then talk down the other. They are the same. If you consider Anderson a huge bust, then you have to consider Jackson a huge one as well.

And Pioli didn't draft Jamaal Charles. He was part of that '08 draft that was Carl Peterson's last draft. That draft also brought in Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, and Barry Richardson. In fact, Peterson's record at least with #1s was mostly superb of his final run in KC: Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe. Peterson just didn't find much talent outside the Top 32 picks, which brought him down (as well as questionable coaching hires).

Relative to his other issues in KC, Pioli was a good drafter. But let's not pretend as if he was crushing the draft. His draft record over his 4 years in KC was/is not significantly better than TD's was here over that same span.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I'm not against the Pioli hire by any means. Always in favor of bringing in a fresh set of eyes and ideas into your organization. It's a collaborative process (or at least it should be).

But Tyson Jackson = Jamaal Anderson, no ifs ands or buts about it. You can't talk him up and then talk down the other. They are the same. If you consider Anderson a huge bust, then you have to consider Jackson a huge one as well.

And Pioli didn't draft Jamaal Charles. He was part of that '08 draft that was Carl Peterson's last draft. That draft also brought in Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, and Barry Richardson. In fact, Peterson's record at least with #1s was mostly superb of his final run in KC: Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe. Peterson just didn't find much talent outside the Top 32 picks, which brought him down (as well as questionable coaching hires).

Relative to his other issues in KC, Pioli was a good drafter. But let's not pretend as if he was crushing the draft. His draft record over his 4 years in KC was/is not significantly better than TD's was here over that same span.

First let me say that I stand corrected I thought that the 08 draft was conducted during his tenure. Tyson Jackson is a bust but I will say this Jamaal Anderson was a only good at stopping the run but he was never considered to be one of the best at it in the league and that is where Jackson is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:40 am 

I think it is a great pickup by Atlanta. I can't imagine that Dimitroff + Pioli can be any worse in drafting than Dimitroff by himself. You gotta figure they did some pretty good work in New England when they last worked together. Granted, we don't have the Belichick part of that equation.

Atlanta has a better front office today thanks to this move. To fine NFL executives that I suspect combined do a good job offsetting each others shortcomings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 am 

http://youtu.be/Dr7JBgz5Y2I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:35 pm 

I feel that Dimitroff is driving with hot coffee and no lid just to improve his street cred that he is a bad ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wish they showed the cut out parts of the video, that's where the real gems are hidden I bet.