It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Vince Young files for bankruptcy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Falcons should think about giving him a job….

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... bankruptcy

Former Titans QB Vince Young files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
January 22, 2014 12:57 pm ET

Since leading the Titans to a 30-17 record when he was the starting quarterback from 2006-10, Vince Young has fallen on hard times on and off the field. He was the backup behind Michael Vick in Philadelphia -- and when Young was forced into action, he was terrible -- and then he failed to make the teams in Buffalo and Green Bay.

Sixteen months ago, it was reported that Young was nearly out of money, despite once signing a contract that guaranteed him $26 million.

Now, he's had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to the Houston Chronicle. The paper reports that attorney Brian Kilmer filed a petition in a Houston federal bankruptcy court, listing Young's assets worth between $500,001 and $1 million with liabilities between $1,001,000 and $10 million.

More from the paper:

Over the last year, Young, 30, has been locked in a pair of lawsuits stemming from a $1.8 million loan obtained in his name during the 2011 lockout.

A New York state court has granted a judgment against Young to Pro Player Funding, a New York company that made the loan, which along with interest has grown to more than $2.5 million, according to a Pro Player attorney.

Pro Player Funding has made several efforts in a Harris County state district court to enforce collection of the judgment, but those efforts remain pending.

Young, meanwhile, had sued his former agent and financial advisor, saying they had attempted to defraud him by obtaining the loan from Pro Player Funding and then taking the money for themselves. Reportedly, an unannounced settlement has been reached in that case.

As far as his NFL career, Young said in October that he wasn't sure why he didn't have an NFL job.

"Me and my wife and all my peers and fans, we're all trying to figure this stuff out," Young said. "I don't have the slightest idea. It's like a huge question mark over my head every day I wake up in the morning to take care of my responsibilities and know I should be playing. To not have one of those calls, it's tough."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Vince Young files for bankruptcy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Why should the Falcons hire him? BTW, is he the athlete that used to book all the seats on a flight so he could just ride around in peace? Recall reading that abut someone but not sure if it was Vince. Another guy like Vick lost off of the field.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Falcons should think about giving him a job….

Mopping floors at Flowery Branch? Yes. Player, No. Making TD and Pioli's morning coffee's, Yes. Blank's financial manager, No.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm 

Strong-armed passer that is a good throwing down the field, which is something that the Falcons have zero of at QB.

Mobile passer that can play behind a bad OL, which the Falcons need more of at QB.

Broke, so will play for any paycheck, even a minimum one, so he's not going to hurt their bank account.

He's everything the Falcons wish Dominique Davis was.

I don't care what his off the field baggage is. As long as when he gets on the field, he is tossing bombs to Julio Jones, that's all that matters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm 

I'd be okay with Young backing up Matt Ryan. I generally agree with Pudge's comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Never heard any stories about him being a bad guy. Just heard a lot of stories about him being bad with money and wanting to have fun. The only reason I would be apposed to bringing him in as a back up is because the Vick faithful will probably campaign for him to play because they long for a mobile QB.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Strong-armed passer that is a good throwing down the field, which is something that the Falcons have zero of at QB.

Mobile passer that can play behind a bad OL, which the Falcons need more of at QB.

Broke, so will play for any paycheck, even a minimum one, so he's not going to hurt their bank account.

He's everything the Falcons wish Dominique Davis was.

I don't care what his off the field baggage is. As long as when he gets on the field, he is tossing bombs to Julio Jones, that's all that matters.

Except you're forgetting one thing. He sucks!

Career 57.9% completion rate ( A career high of 62.3, 7 years ago.)
Career totals: 46 td's vs. 51 int.'s ( His high for td's in a season? 12 back when he was a rookie)
7 Career 4th QC winning drives. I think Matt Ryan did that last year alone.
40 fumbles in 60 career games.
I could go on, but you get my point.

Now, Pudge, I don't know if you moved out to Colorado to partake in the legal green, but bringing in Vince "Not-so" Young in to Atlanta is the talk of a man smoking something. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I'd be okay with Young backing up Matt Ryan. I generally agree with Pudge's comments.

Have you come down with a case of "Seahawk Fever" out there in the Northwest Dirty? You're clearly not thinking right. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Young doesn't fit our mold, intelligence is highly valued by the Falcons. Other than Samuel and Roddy who are great athletes we have very few dumb guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:01 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
Young doesn't fit our mold, intelligence is highly valued by the Falcons. Other than Samuel and Roddy who are great athletes we have very few dumb guys.

And we were 4-12 last year... :whistle:

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Career 57.9% completion rate ( A career high of 62.3, 7 years ago.)
Career totals: 46 td's vs. 51 int.'s ( His high for td's in a season? 12 back when he was a rookie)
7 Career 4th QC winning drives. I think Matt Ryan did that last year alone.
40 fumbles in 60 career games.
I could go on, but you get my point.

Now, Pudge, I don't know if you moved out to Colorado to partake in the legal green, but bringing in Vince "Not-so" Young in to Atlanta is the talk of a man smoking something. :)

Smoking the green apparently gives me the clarity to realize that he's a backup quarterback. Should I expect his numbers to be better than that?

You could put Young's numbers side by side with players like Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, and Ryan Fitzpatrick and you wouldn't see a huge discrepancy outside probably the fumbles. And yet if I suggested any of those guys being Ryan's backup, you wouldn't accuse me of smoking the sticky icky. I'd bet you'd be more inclined to add Mark Sanchez, in the attempt of salvaging his career…

The ideal backup in Atlanta is a QB that isn't afraid to take shots down the field, because as I've said 1000 times this year, this team needs to be able to generate big plays in order to win games, not dinking and dunking. Otherwise, you're just going to have performances like we saw in the middle of the season where the Falcons struggled to get to 13 points.

And that player also will be able to stand in the face of pressure without taking a million sacks. Now, Young would probably take an above average rate of sacks, but he could also be able to do things with his legs that others couldn't. Redman was a statue in the pocket, and anybody that knows our OL, knows that being a statue is a bad recipe.

So unless you're going to go out and give Josh Freeman $5M/yr. to get that sort of player, then VY should be on the short list. Is he my top choice? No, but if you're talking about a guy that is in the ballpark of the criteria needed for a decent backup here in Atlanta, has played and won games in the NFL so we know the moment shouldn't be too big for him if he has to step in for 3-4 games, and probably will play for league minimum, why not sign Young.

If you sign him now and let him go through OTAs, you at least have the opportunity to evaluate him. Maybe Davis/Renfree step up and beat him out. Maybe Young's reputation as not being very "cerebral" washes him out. If so, then better sooner rather than later. And if it does happen, then you didn't spend any $$$ doing so. I'm not talking about giving him a guaranteed contract. 1-yr. $700K or whatever the veteran minimum is for a player with his experience, $0 in bonus money. If he takes it, good. If he doesn't, then you move on…

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I agree, we need a better number 2 QB. But Young isn't the guy. Not by a long shot. With Pioli on board, look for a KC/NE connection. Cassel? Hoyer?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:14 pm 

I could see Cassel but he isn't the gambler that Pudge is referring to.

I'm not sure there are any great fits... I do like Josh McCown as a 1-2 year patch but he's probably going to stay in Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd take Hoyer or Cassell all day as backup's, well worth the extra million we'd have to pay them. Your backup and your starter should have a similar skill set, we don't have that now, and we certainly wouldn't have that with Vince Young.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Its according to how dumb he is?? Does he know his playbook perfectly??

I mean a man that goes broke with that much money; And doesn't know why he's not in the league, is pretty dumb..... Is he out trying to get on rosters?? He's got to show he wants it; or I
doubt anyone calls.?

On paper he seems like an excellent fit if he will be content with being a back-up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:22 am 

DaveWaz wrote:
Your backup and your starter should have a similar skill set.

What NFL handbook does it say that? If your starter has a good skill set, then sure that makes sense. You don't want to go from Colin Kaepernick to Colt McCoy. But Matt Ryan is a weaker-armed, immobile QB that is afraid to take deep shots. The types of players that fit that same skill set are players like Brady Quinn and Joey Harrington. And the reason why those players are backups and not starters with that skill set is because they suck at overcoming those deficiencies, while Ryan is the rare type that is smart enough to compensate.

Cyril wrote:
I mean a man that goes broke with that much money; And doesn't know why he's not in the league, is pretty dumb

I might want to pump the brakes on calling Young an idiot because he went broke, otherwise you could accuse a lot of NFL players of being idiots.

Now Young has an extensive history that indicates he isn't a great decision maker, so the idiot label in this instance is probably apt. But I wouldn't base it solely off his poor finances.

Cyril wrote:
Is he out trying to get on rosters?? He's got to show he wants it; or I doubt anyone calls.?

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ ... ad7c144e96

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I could see Cassel but he isn't the gambler that Pudge is referring to.

....and someone remind me exactly why we need a "gambling second string QB?" That's laughable. Ryan has a stigma about him about not having the onions to throw it down field when the fact of the matter is Smitty and the offensive play-calling is pretty conservative. It has been preached over and over again "do not turn the ball over". Ryan is doing what he is coached to be doing.

And God forbid if Ryan goes down, we are supposed to believe that the coaches will all of a sudden turn this offense loose? Laughable I tells ya. Laughable. if anything it will get much, much more conservative.

It's already been said that Falcons will get back more of a running type style offense next season. Guess we can blame Ryan for that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:35 pm 

You're right AJ51, the Falcons offense is limited in terms of vertical potential in large part due to the coaching staff. But it isn't entirely on the coaching staff. Ryan is naturally very conservative, which makes it even more limiting.

Ryan going down with injury isn't going to suddenly open up the Falcons offense into one of the more explosive in the league. But you have to understand what is going to happen. You need someone that can throw the ball down the field, and has the balls to do so, otherwise the Falcons offense is going to fall flat.

The type of QB that is going to be a dink/dunk passer is going to struggle replacing Ryan because that player is not going to nearly as good at that as Ryan is. If that player was, he wouldn't be a backup (the Matt Hasselbecks of the league excluded). Instead, the sort of QB that is like Ryan that you can realistically get is Captain Checkdown. If the Falcons had a young Michael Turner running the rock, that wouldn't be a bad thing because they could just rely on the running game to "carry" the offense. But with a bottom-rung running game (and even with significant OL improvement, they are still going to be at best a below average running team in 2014) that sort of checkdown offense with no willingness/ability to take the occasional deep shot is going be just like the offense we saw this team run in Weeks 8-11 under Ryan, offenses that couldn't score more than 1 TD in the first 3 quarters of those games. That coupled with our bad defense are losses waiting to happen, and if the Falcons happen to be in the midst of a playoff run as I'm sure we all hope, they are doomed.

And you're missing the point. The Falcons coaching staff and front office seem to be oblivious to the idea that opening up the passing game both for Ryan and this hypothetical backup QB would be beneficial to the offense.

Whether in reality that signing a strong-armed backup actually works to open up the offense, it would at least signal that the Falcons as organization at least recognize their weakness. It's a step in the right direction.

That's really the problem: poor self evaluation. By signing a strong-armed, athletic QB it will signal that they are making improvements there. Now Davis fits that description, but Davis can't complete a 10+ yd pass to save his life, at least he certainly couldn't in the calendar year of 2013. The Falcons should sign someone as their 4th arm that can. Young is that and that at least opens up the possibility that the Falcons improve their backup QB. Otherwise, if they just stick with Davis/Renfree, and then sign some 4th arm undrafted free agent that is ho-hum, that possibility is much, much less.

Profile E-mail