PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:49 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:
Report: Mike Tice to be Falcons new offensive line coach

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 8, 2014, 12:56 AM EST
Chicago Bears v Detroit Lions
Getty Images
After a 2013 season that fell far short of expectations, the Atlanta Falcons fired offensive line coaches Pat Hill and Paul Dunn at season’s end.

Now the Falcons have apparently made their first hire to replace the departed line coaches.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, the Falcons will hire former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator and Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice as their new offensive line coach.

Tice did not coach in the league this season after being let go by the Bears along with the rest of Lovie Smith’s staff after the 2012 season.

Tice was an offensive line coach in Chicago for two seasons before taking on the offensive coordinator role in his final year with the Bears. However, Chicago’s offensive line frequently seemed to struggle to protect Jay Cutler during Tice’s tenure. Cutler was sacked 52 times in 15 games in Tice’s first season in Chicago, 23 times in 2011 in 10 games and 38 times in 2012 in 15 games.

Tice and Falcons head coach Mike Smith served together for two seasons on Jack Del Rio’s coaching staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2006-2007. Tice served as the assistant head coach while Smith was the defensive coordinator.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ine-coach/

Not sure how I feel about this, but then again.. look what he worked with in Chicago. You did see quite an improvement in that offensive line after just one year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mike Tice is the Falcons New Offensive Line Coach
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess we'll see how it goes. Does Mike Smith consider many people who he has not worked with before?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm unsure on this hire. Tice certainly isn't known as an offensive line guru, is he? Chicago's line wasn't impressive in his tenure there....as a matter af fact I remember them being absolutely brutal.

And it is getting a little old seeing Smitty's old pals hired and not getting the best man available for the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am 

Wasn't part of the problem in Chicago just simply the offensive line talent much akin to Atlanta? I'm not terribly familiar with Bears and their current o-line personnel but I recall that there was plenty made about the Bears not investing or making smart investments in their offensive line.

Tice was a QB in College and a TE in the pro's as a player then spent time as the TE & OL coach for Minny before being promoted to HC with Denny Green leaving.

I'm not sure that Tice has enough history to make much a judgement on whether or not he'll be a good OL coach. At least he played TE in the NFL and has been coaching in the NFL for awhile. Pat Hill has had stints in the NFL but has primarily been a college coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The slander on Twitter was real after this hire. The most entertaining one was that Chicago had the a bottom five O-line in 2012 and then when he left they are now a top 5 unit. All I could think about was so the addition of Jerome Bushrod and Kyle Long had nothing to do with the improvement.

Last edited by The Mattural on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 pm 

The Mattural wrote:
The most entertaining one was that Chicago had the a bottom five O-line in 2012 and then when he left they are now a top 5 unit. All I could think about was so the addition of Jerome Bushrod and Kyle Long.

Not always but usually Talent > Coaching.

Coaching should be able to smooth out the flaws and make the unit more cohesive but if your putting out sub-standard talent the performance is going to be substandard.

Me thinks the firing of Hill was more symbolic than anything else. Our line was terrible and you can't whack all the players on the offensive line so you whack the coach to tell the fans "we get the offensive line sucked so we are going to try and make it better. Here is the coaches head you can put on a stake."

Unless Atlanta at a minimum improves LT (or Sam Baker becomes above average again) and at least RG the unit is still going to suck even if Jesus was coaching them. It's a bonus if RT improves this offseason (still would like to draft a LT and move Baker to RT). RG should be relatively easy to fix by finding a serviceable veteran in free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:07 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
And it is getting a little old seeing Smitty's old pals hired and not getting the best man available for the job.

How do you know Tice isn't the best man for the job?

And why would Smitty hire someone that isn't familiar with his coaching style and the offense? A big part of the OL play is understanding the protections that the OC runs, and Tice's work with Koetter in Jacksonville should be conducive. What happens if you hire an excellent teacher but he doesn't help the players understand their roles in the protections, how did you benefit?

Coaches hire people they know, it's just a simple fact. Tice was asked to coach up the guys in Chicago, and he did once he took over the play-calling duties and could then gear the play-calling around the protections, which was a major issue with Mike Martz there. Martz is a very good offensive play-caller, but he's terrible at crafting protections. Offenses coordinated by him regularly were at the top of the league in terms of most sacks given up.

Contrary to popular opinion J'Marcus Webb improved over the course of his time in Chicago, particularly once Tice took over play-calling duties.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

And why would Smitty hire someone that isn't familiar with his coaching style and the offense? A big part of the OL play is understanding the protections that the OC runs, and Tice's work with Koetter in Jacksonville should be conducive. What happens if you hire an excellent teacher but he doesn't help the players understand their roles in the protections, how did you benefit?

Coaches hire people they know, it's just a simple fact. Tice was asked to coach up the guys in Chicago, and he did once he took over the play-calling duties and could then gear the play-calling around the protections, which was a major issue with Mike Martz there. Martz is a very good offensive play-caller, but he's terrible at crafting protections. Offenses coordinated by him regularly were at the top of the league in terms of most sacks given up.

Contrary to popular opinion J'Marcus Webb improved over the course of his time in Chicago, particularly once Tice took over play-calling duties.

People hire people they know. In some arenas it is viewed as criminality or, at the least, group think. This makes two former NFL HCs as pos coaches on Smitty's staff. How many did have Reeves have other than Shell? Cannot recall if Brooks was ever an NFL coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

I don't know that. Just saying I'm not impressed with his past work, but you obviously are. I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Quote:
And why would Smitty hire someone that isn't familiar with his coaching style and the offense?

Looks like complacency to me. Smitty staying in his "comfort zone". And you and all your talk of complacency. :)

Quote:
Contrary to popular opinion J'Marcus Webb improved over the course of his time in Chicago, particularly once Tice took over play-calling duties

If you say so, it must be true. for us, Tice is going to have to improve 5 guys, drastically, not just one. Again, i will say that maybe he is the right guy for the job, but I find it hard to believe that wasn't a better qualified coach that Smitty has swapped Christmas presents with in the past.

Last edited by AngryJohnny51 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
People hire people they know

I understand that. but with Smitty's job on the line this year I would think his search would be a little more "expansive".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
People hire people they know

I understand that. but with Smitty's job on the line this year I would think his search would be a little more "expansive".

I'm not condoning it but rather expanding it. The natural tendency to go with the familiar--be it hiring Marion Campbell serially, your son as your OC or your cousin's company to do contract work for the city when you are mayor--is pretty hard to stop. It's why things like Affirmative Action are put in place or universities are required to advertise nationally when hiring new professors. In reality, "nepotism" has positives and negatives. Roddy gives Paul Petrino props for turning his career around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

ROBISKIE!!!

Yeah, that's what this feels like. We don't know who to hire, so let's go with the family member. Look, I'm not saying that Tice won't be any good... I'm saying that this appears to be a trend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Look, Coaches can't do anything without talent or at least average talent!!

Roddy had the talent but the coaches had not built up his confidence with crossing patterns; and generally he had the long pressure plays at the end of the games; that he gets now, or has the confidence to get!!

Tice may know some older good free agents who are cheap; and having been a head coach its hard to find a great line coach that has not moved up; or isn't being paid very well for the position!!

This line coaches job will be to find at least two new players!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:43 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I like the hire. Tice is a hard-nosed coach and it seems like that is the recurring them is to toughen up both sides...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 pm 

Capologist wrote:
I like the hire. Tice is a hard-nosed coach and it seems like that is the recurring them is to toughen up both sides...

I agree in general here as well.

The hiring makes sense as Smith has ties to Tice in his past and more to the point his OC has ties to Tice from the past. Above and beyond that his personality seems to be in line with Smith's personality and coaching style.

It makes little sense to go out and bring in someone that you don't know or understand in hopes that you'll improve the line. You want someone you know and you think will do a good job. I suspect that since both Smith & Koetter know Tice they think he's a good fit for the job.