It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: QB Mobility
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Ok, so I know Manning, Manning, and Brady don't move in the pocket and have won their share of SBs, but I'm a bit distressed after watching the Colts/Chiefs game yesterday because the more I watched the QBs in that game, the more my mind kept saying 'That is a sack if its Matt Ryan'. Alex Smith moved very well against pressure and also got first downs with his feet diving forward instead of sliding, and Luck picking up that fumble and instead of falling on it scores a TD? That was a huge play in that game, and Ryan would have fallen right on that ball so he could 'live to play another down'. I have to wonder how many more games we might have won this season if Ryan had a bit more mobility in that crumbling pocket. I'm seeing it more and more as a hindrance to his overall 'elite' ability, more so than his deep ball which has improved the past two years [assuming he has the time to throw it]

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: QB Mobility
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:56 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Matt has been pretty much everything he was advertised/feared to be. I thought the same thing watching that game as well as the Saints/Eagles. Brady, Manning, C. Palmer....can you think of any other similarly immobile starting QBs in the league. It certainly puts pressure on the rest of the O.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

QB's the least of our problems. Ryan is just fine and I would take him over Alex Smith any day. Luck and him are equals in my opinion at this point, though Luck could pass him shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DaveWaz wrote:
QB's the least of our problems. Ryan is just fine and I would take him over Alex Smith any day. Luck and him are equals in my opinion at this point, though Luck could pass him shortly.

Oh, I agree overall. Matt will always be kind of neck up as QBs go. Luck seems to have the entire skill set.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Ok, so I know Manning, Manning, and Brady don't move in the pocket and have won their share of SBs, but I'm a bit distressed after watching the Colts/Chiefs game yesterday because the more I watched the QBs in that game, the more my mind kept saying 'That is a sack if its Matt Ryan'. Alex Smith moved very well against pressure and also got first downs with his feet diving forward instead of sliding, and Luck picking up that fumble and instead of falling on it scores a TD? That was a huge play in that game, and Ryan would have fallen right on that ball so he could 'live to play another down'. I have to wonder how many more games we might have won this season if Ryan had a bit more mobility in that crumbling pocket. I'm seeing it more and more as a hindrance to his overall 'elite' ability, more so than his deep ball which has improved the past two years [assuming he has the time to throw it]

Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Upgrade the interior and you'll give Ryan the ability to step up in the pocket. He can do that well. The problem is that interior pressure thanks to this team's poor decisions and mishandling their guard/center spots has hurt Ryan.

It's one of the reasons why I'm not thrilled with the prospect of using our top pick on a LT, because it's not nearly as valuable a position for a QB such as Ryan. If Ryan was actually a scrambler that needed to escape the pocket to make plays and throws, then having a good LT would be a premium, so he can always have the edge. But since he's not, it's about the interior that needs to be strong, not the tackles.

But of course the Falcons have it backwards. Let's pay Sam Baker $41 million and go into a 3rd straight year with a mediocre Garrett Reynolds starting at RG. It would have been much smarter to pay Andy Levitre $41 million and go into a year with a mediocre Lamar Holmes starting…

Oh well...

Profile E-mail