It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What will they do and what would you do?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:10 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Title says it all. I will start by saying that Nolan will get canned and Koetter will stay. I would keep Nolan and dump Koetter for Norv Turner (assuming he is let go with Chud).

Post subject: Re: What will they do and what would you do?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Nolan’s contract already got extended.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I just wish we could get Gruden as OC, but that will never happen. As for the D, Nolan or no Nolan, we need better pass rushers. I don't have an issue with Nolan, I have an issue with TD for dumping Abraham [who was under contract] and getting the Osi, who by the end of the season was only in on passing downs and even then lined up in the neutral zone versus the 49ers to extend a scoring drive. He is putrid, as was Edwards, another 'great' TD signing. We could have won today had we not let Cam sit for 13 seconds like a statue before he finally had an open man on the goal line right in front of him. ANY pass rush and that would have been a FG.

Clowney scars that crap out of me. I think he was neutralized this season with double teams, which IMO will make him useless versus pro-level talent because he seems to lack a motor. You put him out there with Osi and we are going to have a lot of 300 yard 3 TD passers on our hands next year.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 am 
Veteran
Veteran

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
I just wish we could get Gruden as OC, but that will never happen. As for the D, Nolan or no Nolan, we need better pass rushers. I don't have an issue with Nolan, I have an issue with TD for dumping Abraham [who was under contract] and getting the Osi, who by the end of the season was only in on passing downs and even then lined up in the neutral zone versus the 49ers to extend a scoring drive. He is putrid, as was Edwards, another 'great' TD signing. We could have won today had we not let Cam sit for 13 seconds like a statue before he finally had an open man on the goal line right in front of him. ANY pass rush and that would have been a FG.

Clowney scars that crap out of me. I think he was neutralized this season with double teams, which IMO will make him useless versus pro-level talent because he seems to lack a motor. You put him out there with Osi and we are going to have a lot of 300 yard 3 TD passers on our hands next year.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. I can't disagree with you about the concern of a lack of motor, as I have said the same thing a few times on here before. But let me just make this clear -- So you're afraid that because Clowney is "neutralized" by double teams, you don't think he will succeed in the NFL? Which NFL prospect have you ever seen consistently succeed against double / triple teams?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:01 pm 

Well Nolan already got an extension and I expected that to happen. The reason he would have left was if it was to become a head coach else where. Happy to see Nolan sticking around for 2 more years.

As far as Koetter is concerned I personally would probably make yet another changed at OC (as to who I have no one to offer yet). But, that being said I suspect Atlanta won't dump Koetter due to the injuries on offense.

To that end I think a lot of heads will be spared due to injuries.

As to the rest of the team I'll formulate my thoughts when I have more time. The only thing I'm pretty certain on is finding a starting LT in this years draft. Ideally by way of trading down and finding a good value pick later in the first. I think Atlanta needs to add a quality veteran OG as well.

After offensive line the rest of the draft/free agency period should be spent repairing the defensive line. I'd like to see Atlanta add some receiver depth (because we have nothing behind Roddy/Julio) and pickup a back that fits our offense in the middle rounds of the draft.

We won't find another Tony G this coming off season so I wouldn't make it a priority now that he is retiring. I would like to to see what our current stable has in them this coming season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 pm 

mattlanta wrote:
MarylandFalcon1 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this statement. I can't disagree with you about the concern of a lack of motor, as I have said the same thing a few times on here before. But let me just make this clear -- So you're afraid that because Clowney is "neutralized" by double teams, you don't think he will succeed in the NFL? Which NFL prospect have you ever seen consistently succeed against double / triple teams?

I did... Greg Hardy, DE, Carolina Panthers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would see if we could get Norv Turner to be the OC, if not I would keep Dirk. With the first pick in the draft I would address the defense because I do not believe there is a tackle worth taking at the top end of the draft that is even close to Jake Matthews. With the second selection it would either be dedicated to the the best O-lineman or the third option (Tony's replacement at TE).

I would cut the following players:
Harry Douglas
Osi
Nicholas
Garrett Reynolds
Asante

Then the IMO the Falcons should be aggressive players in FA this year. They should address both lines and if you were somehow able to seing getting Branden Albert I would move Baker to RT and give Holmes another year to get right.

Players I would resign:
Joe Hawley
Babs (only if he gives us a hometown discount)
Corey Peters (I would wait on this signing his market shouldnt be to crazy with him having a major injury)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Both lines need to be upgraded. As bad as the offensive line is, our lack of pass rush and getting off the field on 3rd downs hurts just as much. Whether it's the draft or Free Agency, I don't care, it needs to be upgraded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mike Nolan is NEVER going to be a head coach again, except maybe as an interim head coach.

If/when he leaves Atlanta, it will be to be a defensive coordinator of another team. The guy won 18 games in 3.5 seasons as a head coach. That sort of "success" is never going to warrant a second chance. And I would say he'll never get the opportunity to be a head coach in college given the fact that he hasn't coached there in nearly 30 years. Maybe if he managed to become a college DC for a couple of years (say like 5) and then was able to buoy that into a head coaching job at some mid-major. But I don't see that ever happening, nor do I think Nolan wants that. He's probably delusional enough to think he'll get another chance as a head coach in the pros if he can just go someplace and coach up a defense to be lights out. It ain't happening. Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, hell even Norv Turner were able to get multiple chances because they actually had success as NFL head coaches (or at least Turner had more so than Nolan did).

But as for keeping him, I don't have a problem with it. But ultimately his departure will be because he thinks he can get a better gig elsewhere, no different than any free agent.

Profile E-mail