Harry Douglas has to go*

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Harry Douglas has to go*

Postby RobertAP » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Though I've been pulling for this guy for quite some time, he just makes too many mistakes to keep him around. He's also not an ideal fit for the type of offense that we're trying to run. For the offense that we're trying to run, we need physical receivers, and Douglas just isn't.

I think Douglas would shine in an offense that was a bit more vertical, using him in a Wes Welker type role. As it stands, we have been trying to get Douglas the ball in the same way that we got Julio the ball, and that's just not going to work consistently. Also, Douglas has never been very good at catching deep balls.

If we're going to continue with this stupidly short range passing attack, we're going to need to get more physical receivers.

Cyril
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Harry Douglas has to go*

Postby Cyril » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 am

well he doesn't have to go, but I wouldn't miss him a minute. Maybe even get a 7th for him after this big year. I doubt it though.
"Everything Counts"
Cyril

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 am

Vertical offense? Wes Welker? I agree that he needs to be in an offense that takes advantage of his abilities in the slot, but I'm not sure I would call that a vertical offense since Welker makes the majority of his catches 3-7 yards downfield.

Douglas should go. He is owed $3.6 million next year in terms of cap and is an average No. 3 at best, and more of a good No. 4 wide receiver. The Falcons offense would be better with Roddy in the slot for the next 2-3 years, and another vertical threat on the outside to match with Julio. Thus if/when Julio gets hurt, we still have a deep threat. If the Falcons keep DOuglas a the 4th wide out that would be fine, but not for his price tag. He shoudl be making about half of what he is making (under $2 million)

But the chances that happening, and this team paying players what they are worth will be a cold day in hell. Sam Baker, Stephen Nicholas, Osi Umenyiora, Steven Jackson, Thomas DeCoud, are all expendable and overpaid players along with Douglas that this team doesn't need, and certainly doesn't need them for the price we're paying them. But who wants to bet that at most only 2, maybe 3 of the guys I Just named get their contracts reworked or cut outright.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

The Mattural
Superstar
Superstar

Postby The Mattural » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:47 pm

I have been on the train to get Harry out of Atlanta for the last two years. This year, a year that he gets the snaps, the targets and puts up career numbers in terms of receptions, yards, and TDs I want him gone even more. This year has shown how far away he is from ever being a dangerous player. For 3.6 million HD83 better come to camp three inches taller and about 20 pounds heavier and have found a way to catch passes 30 yards past the line of scrimmage.
The Young Gunner

Return to “The Huddle”