It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
Quote:
People have a tendency to go from 0 to 60 on this forum over minor stuff. Pump the brakes guys...


Pudge you have a tendency to say everything is small!! Letting Tony G. sit at home isn't small
while signed. Asking to get a game off to get your head straight isn't small. The fact that the Falcons give in to all this "small stuff" makes it Big.......We've won a playoff game and now our Franchise is soft!! We went into this season with about 8 untested positions; but the thought was lets skip the season and go straight to the playoffs. The Franchise got soft and lazy. Not
complacement, but down right soft & lazy. Everytime Blank signs a 100 million Qb he just figures his franchise is set!! Blank has done this crap before; but I feel like being a GM for 6 years and being a head coach for 6 years is too early to let other organizations get their experience. I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice. Coaches just don't forget how to COACH. Your looking for some dark meaning where you alone have the big answer, while the simple and true explanation is this franchise was letting Roddy tweet " if we don't win the super Bowl the season is a waste"!!

The simple fact is we had so many positions going to untested players that the injuries have
put the team at the bottom. Losing ABE and getting Osi didn't help either.

Its obvious why no one believed in us last year!! We had no running game or pass rush, Coach Smith was winning with an average team..... This year we just sucked!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
Cyril wrote:
Coaches just don't forget how to COACH.

Then you haven't been watching this year.

Cyril wrote:
We went into this season with about 8 untested positions;

So did a dozen other teams this year, yet many of those teams are competing for the playoffs. Why? Because their team coached them up. Those teams faced adversity and didn't shrink from it, which is basically what you're arguing. That this team couldn't handle adversity, and you're giving the coaching staff a pass for that? How are they a good coaching staff then?

You're telling me that this coaching staff isn't good enough to overcome a 2-week vacation by Tony Gonzalez or Jason Snelling getting a day off? Was Snelling getting the day off the reason why the Falcons run defense gave up 143 yards to Bobby Rainey? Did Gonzo's time off cause Steven Jackson to not catch the ball in Week 1? Roddy White tweeting Super Bowl or bust is inconsequential. Roddy White not being healthy for 11 weeks is not inconsequential.

That small stuff doesn't matter. It's what actually happens on the field which is what matters. This is stuff that is very easy to overcome if the coaches put the 53 guys on the field in the right positions to win. They haven't done that, and the Falcons have lost.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:03 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
Your trying to flip the logic, Pudge, but it is kind of weak. I don't think anyone is saying because JS missed a game or TG missed camp that we lost game A or B. It is n outcropping of a mindset that had overcome the team. You call it complacency, Cyril calls it the team going soft. It's really all the same thing. A sense of urgency had been lost and lunatics have been running the asylum. In truth, IMO, on a team properly focused and running neither Tony or Jason would have even asked to be off because they wouldn't want to insult their fellow team mates with that weak s***. Tony's thing is like the guy who doesn't want to load int he gear for the gig and Jason's is like the guy who says, "Can you do this one without me because I've got to think about this minor bust I got." You show up. You do your job. You play the gig. All for one and one for all. When there become two sets of rules you lose the team...just like when Vick was here. This guy in the link above plays a game even though he heard his mother died that morning. It's about desire and I think the falcons lost it or lost it to the level you have to have it to do anything in this league.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
I understand all that Bnb, but ultimately the games are won and lost on the field. And if the Falcons coaches had done a better job on the field, all of those issues are inconsequential. That is their failure. Those are very small factors, just like starting Lamar Holmes at right tackle is a very small factor.

This season was made/broken when this team completely failed to handle Julio Jones injury. As I've been saying for days/weeks now, what we should have come to realize is that this offense is flawed in that it doesn't know how to function when it doesn't have 2 or more receivers that are playing at high levels. That's the main difference between last year and this year. Not the OL, not the pass rush, not anything else. That is the key difference in this year as compared to last year. As I've said 987 times already, the difference between this year's OL and last year's OL is insignificant. What is significant is the fact that without having Julio Jones/Tony Gonzalez/Roddy White on the filed, this offense went from one of the best in the league to one of the worst.

Last year, Matt Ryan had an ANYA (Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt) of 7.03, ranking 7th best in the league. In the first 5 games of this year, Ryan's ANYA was 6.82. Had he maintained that for the remainder of the season, it would rank 10th best in the NFL currently. But in the 9 games since, Ryan's ANYA fell to 4.47. That would rank the worst in the league, and is on par with Mark Sanchez from last year, which was 2nd worst in the league ahead of only Blaine Gabbert.

Again, we can say that Ryan isn't playing well. And we'd be right. But the fact is that if the Falcons were being coached well, there would be no way that they would allow a Top 10 QB to fall to essentially become the worst in the league. Now we know that Ryan isn't completely a product of his environment, because he posted better ANYAs in previous years when he didn't have all those weapons:

2008 - 7.01
2009 - 5.60
2010 - 6.23

When you watch tape, Matt Ryan isn't playing terribly. He doesn't look like Mark Sanchez on tape. He looks instead like a rookie QB that has the leash on him such as we've seen with Mike Glennon, E.J. Manuel, etc. where their offenses are geared towards not letting them lose the game and managing it.

This is the story of the season: Without Julio Jones this offense morphed from a very good offense to a very bad one. You may disagree, but you'd be wrong. That's not on the GM or the untested OL, or Tony Gonzalez not being held to the same standards as the other 52 players on the team. That's partly on the QB, but it's mostly on the coaches. They were unable to respond to the adversity because they wrongly thought Brian Robiskie would help them out or they didn't think they needed any help at all. And again, if that was the case then they are just incompetent losers. There's no excuse for thinking a slow, marginal No. 4-caliber WR would be able to provide the help they needed on this offense. That need being a receiver that can stretch the field and thus prevent teams from changing the way they play us (knowing they can stack the box against our lackluster run and doubling Gonzo because they know no other WR can reliably make plays). And if they didn't understand that was going to happen when Julio went down, there's no excuse for being that dumb.

That's what pisses me off. I believed in this coaching staff. But the coaching staff I thought I believed in wasn't that incompetent. This didn't sneak up on them. They had a bye week to figure this out, and it seemed like they ddi when they came out shooting against the Bucs. But then Ryan threw a bunch of picks the following week, and everything ground to a halt. They put the leash on him, and the offense has been terrible ever since. And no matter how many times Cyril says otherwise, it's not because of the OL and how unproven it was. The evidence is overwhelmingly clear that it's been the play of the WRs that have affected this offense most, and not the OL. But of course Cyril and others continue to ignore this because it doesn't fit in their preconceived worldview that the OL is the end-all, be-all.

It's not about the losing, it's about how they are losing. And how they are losing is with one of the worst offenses in the entire NFL. This offense is worst than the Jaguars. And the flaw in Cyril's argument is that if he was to look at other bad teams like the Jaguars, he would see a team with A LOT more question marks going into the season and during the season than this Falcon team. Yet, they are playing better as the season has worn on.

Does that have to do with this team's decisions to pardon TG or SNelz or looking the other way from ROddy's twitter? Maybe. But I think it has a lot more to do with this coaching staff trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
988. Nothing is as simple as it seems but attitude effects everything. You can put that on the coaches.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:37 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
From the day Tony G. was given the luxury to sit home while everyone else had to be at work,
I put that on Coach Smith and said so the day I realized it. Yes attitude is so important it can't be measured, yet Pudge just calls it having the wrong men on the field. Any team as unset as we were would be blasted by the injuries we've had.

Pudge you've never said what you would give up and what kinda of caliber of receiver we'd get and how much we could afford to pay?? Who's giving up someone good in week 4??

Well at least I said all this before a game was played. Anyone who didn't like my analyst when I said 6-10 and later explained why before the season could have spoke up....

Its simple to say its all on the coaches half way through the season..... Everyone knows but you Pudge that Holmes & Konz were terrible the first couple of starts; and G. Reynolds; I guess we don't have don't a great running game because S. Jackson is terrible. Is he worse than Turner was who
SUPPOSE to be the worst back in history??

As to the defense I just said once again we don't have a pass rusher, nor did we have the 2 other starters except Spoon. I've laid this on Coach Smith and Thomas D. but once we were in week 5 you wanted some magic change when the tone had already been set and we had no receivers and no running game and no one rushing the passer. Sure Matt Ruan use to do better but with a better line. Without two defensive ends or pass rush we're screwed there too. Its real convenient to love the coaches for 5 winning season's and then just diss them halfway through a terrible season.

So you believe the O-LINE has nothing to do with our poor running game; that our injuries to to Roddy & Julio could have been over come; and now you believe that good coaches just forget how to coach?? In Fact I think losing Julio was no worse than losing Roddy because he's who moved the chains. With both out Ryan turned rather average unlike what most top ten Qbs would have done.

You don't think not having a pass rush matters??

Well as I SAID A COUPLE OF TIMES Coach Smith should have screamed his head off; and you thought going 0-4 in preseason with our starters sucking also meant nothing......

You've never been so off base on this subject compared to any subject we've ever had over years... For once you won't even give your solution to what you think the coaches should have done; except have Matt throw long to some great receiver we were going to pick up....?? Jeez you sound like any fan who just turns on the coaches half way through the season---In Fact that's what you've done!!

The Coaches started with too many untested positions open; then the injuries killed us. Your saying what anyone could say half way through the season when in fact even in week two you had revised a little but thought we would make the playoffs.

So you've admitted you've been wrong for 5 years about the coaches; their's nothing I can do about that half way through the season!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
Image

Cyril wrote:
Pudge you've never said what you would give up and what kinda of caliber of receiver we'd get and how much we could afford to pay?? Who's giving up someone good in week 4??

http://falcfans.com/why-trading-for-jos ... lcons-9196

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rade-talks

Cyril wrote:
veryone knows but you Pudge that Holmes & Konz were terrible the first couple of starts; and G. Reynolds; I guess we don't have don't a great running game because S. Jackson is terrible. Is he worse than Turner was who
SUPPOSE to be the worst back in history??

And despite this, the Falcons were a half-dozen plays away from being 5-0 this year despite all those things. And few of those plays involved Peter Konz, Lamar Holmes, Garrett Reynolds, or any of the offensive linemen.

Cyril wrote:
I've laid this on Coach Smith and Thomas D. but once we were in week 5 you wanted some magic change when the tone had already been set and we had no receivers and no running game and no one rushing the passer.

How is being more aggressive offensively "magic?" How is calling 2 or 3 more plays early in games that require the receivers to run 15-20 yards downfield magic? At what point did I say that this would make the Falcons into a 10-4 team. If you've been reading what I've said Cyril, you would know that I'm not saying that this team would have morphed into a great team by throwing the ball downfield. But they would have been able to score at least 1 or 2 more touchdowns each week and thus been much more competitive, and that would have ultimately led to a few more wins (possibly 2 or 3). They wouldn't be the worst passing offense in the league like they've been the past 9 weeks. That's not magic, that's pretty basic football. Matt Ryan is dead last in two categories over the past 9 weeks: ANYA (as I pointed out in a previous post) and deep passing. If you think that's a mere coincidence, then I don't know what to tell you.

And the reason we didn't have receivers is 110% on the coaches and their decision to settle on Brian Robiskie and inability to develop/maximize Drew Davis, Darius Johnson, and Harry Douglas.

Cyril wrote:
You don't think not having a pass rush matters??

Did I say that? Or did I say that the evidence says that the Falcons were a competitive team the first 5 weeks of the season, and then something changed, and then they suddenly became the one of the worst offenses in the league in the 9 games after that. If you think that was because the OL got worst (when you've said multiple times that the OL got better as the season wore on) or because they lacked a pass rush, then you're crazy.

The cause of that change is staring you directly in the face...
Image

Cyril wrote:
Its real convenient to love the coaches for 5 winning season's and then just diss them halfway through a terrible season.

It's not convenient, merely accurate. I judge what I see. And what I saw for 5 years was a team that made the most of out what they had. And what I've seen this year, is a team that has gotten the least out of what they've had.

Cyril wrote:
With both out Ryan turned rather average unlike what most top ten Qbs would have done.

And what you don't understand is that averageness on Ryan had to due with poor game planning (as we saw against the Giants in 2011) and poor coaching decisions (by not trying to upgrade the WR position).

Cyril wrote:
For once you won't even give your solution to what you think the coaches should have done; except have Matt throw long to some great receiver we were going to pick up....??

That is the solution. The Falcons offense could have stayed afloat if they had a deep threat and took advantage of that deep threat.

Cyril wrote:
Jeez you sound like any fan who just turns on the coaches half way through the season---In Fact that's what you've done!!

Yes, because they suck. Maybe I watch too much of the other 31 teams that play football because I see other teams manage to rise up, when this Falcon team laid down.

Cyril wrote:
The Coaches started with too many untested positions open; then the injuries killed us...Your saying what anyone could say half way through the season when in fact even in week two you had revised a little but thought we would make the playoffs

You're so stuck in August it's ridiculous. I give you credit Cyril, you saw the bad season coming. But it didn't come for the reasons you said it would. The OL isn't worse than it was a year ago. The rookie CBs played well and were an upgrade from a year ago. The Falcons got competent play out of their LBs.

You must be delusional because you don't see or understand the breakdown of this season. You don't see the delineation of this year that occurred before/after Week 6.

And in Week 2, I still believe this team would make the playoffs because I figured they wouldn't go into a shell like they ultimately did. I figured this team was in good hands and that the coaches had a plan that could keep the offense treading water as they tried to figure things out on defense. But I was clearly wrong. And the reason why I was wrong is because of my misplaced faith in this coaching staff.

Cyril wrote:
So you've admitted you've been wrong for 5 years about the coaches; their's nothing I can do about that half way through the season!!

:?:

Do you think I'm RobertAP?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:39 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
So, just turn Drew Davis into JJ and the problem is solved. Smith's an idiot.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
HERE'S THE FACTS ON jOSH Gorgen his rookie year--last year!!

Josh Gorden led the team in rceiving yards, was 3 shy of being the leading receiver and led the
Browns in Tds.

Quote:
Easily the most talented of the Browns' receivers, Gordon demonstrated big-play ability en route to 805 yards and five touchdowns on 50 receptions as a rookie. Quarterback Brandon Weeden recently proclaimed Gordon "has the ability to be a top-three receiver in this league."


YEA RIGHT THEY'D TAKE A #3........that's bullshit but what you'll say to try to give us options that that we didn't have. He wasn't traded because they were suppose to want a two but after great play this year I'm sure that went to a #1 .... He stayed on the team because the team wasn't shopping him, other teams were trying to steal him, but he obviously stayed in Cleveland..... Crap he's their best receiver!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
OK, so you don't think we could have gotten Josh Gordon. Well, what about:

Hakeem Nicks
James Jones
ANdre Roberts
Earl Bennett
Miles Austin
Kyle Williams
Leonard Hankerson
Cecil Shorts
Da'Rick Rogers
Kenny Britt
Denarius Moore
Doug Baldwin

Please tell me how it was impossible for the Falcons to upgrade the WR position, and why it was necessary for them to waste 6 weeks on Brian Robiskie being inactive every week. At what point did it take before they realized that Robiskie wasn't going to work out?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
So, just turn Drew Davis into JJ and the problem is solved. Smith's an idiot.

I know you're being facetious. But it isn't that he couldn't turn Drew Davis into Julio Jones, it's that he couldn't turn him into Kenbrell Thompkins, Rishard Matthews, Marlon Brown, Mike Brown, or Jerricho Cotchery.

The fact that Harry Douglas despite being very productive on paper, much of that production has come at the end of games where the results didn't matter, thus hollow/empty yards. Douglas was asked to carry the offense and he couldn't, and thus that misplaced expectation is on the coaches too. He's been outperformed by players like Riley Cooper, Jeremy Kerley, and Donnie Avery this year. And yet this team is going to pay him $3.6 million to continue to underachieve next year. Because this offense doesn't know how to maximize his value. That will be on the coaches too.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:14 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
You have two of the premier WRs in the league with JJ and Roddy. you have a HOF TE in TG. That's our offense...the three headed monster but we never really had that for a single game. We had the 2.5 headed monster with Roddy hobbling around and then the 1.5 headed monster. The only WR we could have picked up who might have cured our problems as you are describing is AJ green or some other such untouchable. The problem is in building such a lopsided team it he first place. The trendy thing in recent years has been to say it is all about offense. I think you have pretty much said this yourself, P. Lo and behold, D is making a comeback...SEA, SF, BALT, CAR, AZ, etc. Even with all the weapons our O has been maddeningly sporadic but with a sieve D the formula just didn't work. Let it go about Robiskie. Titanic deck chairs...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:05 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
You misunderstand me, if you think I'm complaining about not having weapons on par with Julio and Roddy. What I'm complaining about is having weapons apparently so bad that we are among the worst offenses in the league. When you look at other teams/offenses that are as bad as we have been for most of this year, they are helmed by backup level QBs. And despite whatever criticism we might level at Matt Ryan, we know he's a much better player than players like Chad Benne, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Brandon Weeden, etc.

This offense is no better than what it was under Joey Harrington. And if you're going to argue that an NFL offense is only as good as its receivers, we all know that to be BS. Or I should say a normal NFL offense. Its become clear that our offense is/was only as good as our receivers, thus making our $104 million investment in Matt Ryan, if using this year as the litmus test, to be one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

backnblack wrote:
I think you have pretty much said this yourself, P. Lo and behold, D is making a comeback...SEA, SF, BALT, CAR, AZ, etc. Even with all the weapons our O has been maddeningly sporadic but with a sieve D the formula just didn't work.

You're right defense is making a comeback because those teams you mentioned have collected quality talent over the years. Good defense comes from an abundance of talent, talent we lack. And there was no way we could've compensated for that lack of talent with our defense. But we could've tried by being more aggressive offensively. We knew our D was gonna give up 30 points per game, so to win we need to try and score 31. But instead our game plan was one suited for an offense trying to score 20. Thus the losing.

Some weeks it might have worked and we would've gotten 30 (as we did vs. Buffalo), and other weeks it might not have. But if we had tried it 9 times, it's likely at least 3 or 4 times it would've worked, and thus we would have 3 or 4 more wins on the record. But we instead only tried it 2 times, and it worked both times (Week 7 vs. TB and vs. BUF), but then we quickly went back to the style of offense that had led to us losing 6 of the other 7 games.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:01 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6212
Location: Planet Claire
Have you forgotten all the "explosive" rhetoric a couple years back? Our explosion = Julio. Heave it down field? To who? Antone Smith (dropped perfect pass), Roddy (no speedster), HD (never seen him beat anybody deep), SJ39 (despite hype it seems to take all he has to give to snag a dump off pass). And how many seconds does the QB need for a deep route to develop? The only way it is going t work is on a play action fake and nobody is scared of our run game.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
Quote:
You misunderstand me, if you think I'm complaining about not having weapons on par with Julio and Roddy. What I'm complaining about is having weapons apparently so bad that we are among the worst offenses in the league. When you look at other teams/offenses that are as bad as we have been for most of this year, they are helmed by backup level QBs. And despite whatever criticism we might level at Matt Ryan, we know he's a much better player than players like Chad Benne, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Brandon Weeden, etc.


What it really comes down to is we just didn't have the depth or starters that we thought......
Now half way through the season you say its the coaches fault. You say its not the receivers;
you say its not the O-line; and your right Matt Ryan is not worth 100 million. He's good, he's very good, but each year another Qb passes him up like Carolina's Qb. His lack of arm strength; and he's about maxed out his ability. Blank will pay 100 million just to say he has a franchise Qb. I like Ryan but going into tonight's game I can almost promise 3 sacks and what would have been 5 others because he'll just throw the ball away.

If the O-line isn't the worst part of the team, what is?? Its been worst since day 1, although the lack of a defensive line is bad too, but we at least have Babs & Peters who are better than any of our offensive linemen.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
Have you forgotten all the "explosive" rhetoric a couple years back? Our explosion = Julio. Heave it down field? To who? Antone Smith (dropped perfect pass), Roddy (no speedster), HD (never seen him beat anybody deep), SJ39 (despite hype it seems to take all he has to give to snag a dump off pass).

Cyril wrote:
What it really comes down to is we just didn't have the depth or starters that we thought......
Now half way through the season you say its the coaches fault.

Sounds like you're saying there was nothing we could do. And I don't buy that.

Without playing the coulda/woulda/shoulda game about they should have known that since our offense was built around our WRs, that having good depth there was paramount.

You may say, forget about Brian Robiskie, but it's everything! I don't know what the right move was. But I know that signing Robiskie was the wrong one. You needed someone that could stretch the field and open up the vertical passing game, not someone that was slow and couldn't get separation and had done next to nothing in 3 years in the NFL. I'm not paid 6-7 figures to know these things, but they are. And I don't buy that there was nothing we could do about it. Not 18 months ago, not 18 days ago.

Cyril wrote:
If the O-line isn't the worst part of the team, what is??

Maybe the OL is the weakest part of the team. But it being weak there doesn't matter nearly as much as being weak at QB or on defense. I think the pass rush is the biggest problem with the team, because it's a critical area that is terrible. Hard to win championships with a bad pass rush. Much easier to do so with a bad OL.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
Quote:
Maybe the OL is the weakest part of the team. But it being weak there doesn't matter nearly as much as being weak at QB or on defense. I think the pass rush is the biggest problem with the team, because it's a critical area that is terrible. Hard to win championships with a bad pass rush. Much easier to do so with a bad OL.


Well lets say I concede this, but only because I think defense is more important than offense.
Who was going to rush the passer from game one? And with 2 free-agent linebackers who was going to stop the run??

Vick was Blank's worst 100 million Qb. Ryan looked good last night except with his offense's
typical 3 quarter and 1 first down.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
Quote:
You're so stuck in August it's ridiculous. I give you credit Cyril, you saw the bad season coming. But it didn't come for the reasons you said it would. The OL isn't worse than it was a year ago. The rookie CBs played well and were an upgrade from a year ago. The Falcons got competent play out of their LBs.


The offensive line was worse!! Competent doesn't win in the NFL and Konz and Johnson have never made a good play. The main improvement has been from the rookies over the 15 games, and the play of #13. Roddy showed last night he's as missed as anyone. Just as our new right tackle is also a free agent.

Quote:
Matt Ryan is dead last in two categories over the past 9 weeks: ANYA (as I pointed out in a previous post) and deep passing. If you think that's a mere coincidence, then I don't know what to tell you.
ITS simple its the offensive line. You take the simple and try to make it complex!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:48 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25965
Location: North Carolina
Why is the offensive line worse?

Justin Blalock is playing his best football of his career, and is basically playing as good as Tyson Clabo was in the second half of last year. But people forget that CLabo wasn't very good early in the season, and his play for the first 6 or so games last year was comparable to what Jeremy Trueblood has done for most of this year at right tackle. Garrett Reynolds was actually better for the first half of this year than he was in the first half of last year, and certainly better than Konz was for the final 10 or so games. But Reynolds declining play over the past 10 weeks is still better than what Konz was a year ago. Konz stunk at center, but Hawley has been just as good if not better for the past 6 games as a declining McClure was last year. If you're making any argument is that Sam Baker last year was better than Lamar Holmes has been last year at LT.

You perceive it to be worse because you had the expectation this summer that it would be worse. And when the team started losing, it then confirms that perception, largely because you overlooked the play of the OL when the team was winning.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:38 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4588
Did Blalock even play last night?? Trueblood isn't even starting at right tackle we have another free agent, for the last three games

Quote:
You perceive it to be worse because you had the expectation this summer that it would be worse. And when the team started losing, it then confirms that perception, largely because you overlooked the play of the OL when the team was winning.
...

No WHEN THE TEAM was winning Ryan had a better line. I didn't over look it i JUST NOTICED WE HAD NO RUNNING GAME AND IT WAS BARELY AVERAGE. Then having 3 open positions and counting on Johnson and Konz and who ever was going to be at right guard was bad news.

That's just not how you want to open the season..... I was just as worried about Defense.
I couldn't figure how it would all work out, I'm not pretending I knew which players would be good or bad..... Again I think we've found some good players for next year who won't be rookies anymore. I'm not positive which they are either......

I play the odds; you just take a opposite view of everyone on the board and never open your mind.....

I can't spell it but I think Mass. could turn out to be a decent defensive end.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: