It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It should be Dominique Time
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Last season before the playoffs, I posted we should have sat out starters. We lost Abe ( to a 'random' injury :wink: ) and we all saw how that played out.

Okay, so here is how I see it going into this game.

At this point, with the way everything is shaking out, I really think Smith should sit Ryan for a significant amount of the game, and let us see what we got going on behind him. Like maybe an entire quarter?

I go to these games, and while I 'understand' that us fans do not want to see the team put forth anything less than 100%, it's my opinion that the people left who are going to make the effort to travel down to the Dome to see this stinkfest understand completely was is on the line here. They are not going to 'boo' seeing 'Nique coming in from the sidelines, IMO. They know that losing this game is not going to hurt us.

The last game Ryan dropped back 36 times, and on 17 of them he was pressured or hit. The blindside fumble was a result of letting the backup play to 'see whatcha got'. What is the downside here? If Davis cant handle it, or gets rocked, you put Ryan back in.

This Skins run defense is just plain awful. Let Nique hand some off to our RB's. Why not?

You get nothing but upside, IMO. You keep your high priced QB safely on the bench for a little bit. The backup gets to show if he is worth it. If you win, at least the backup didn't screw the pooch and pull a 'Schaub'..If he performs well, you can make a decision to keep him or deal him. If he stinks, and we lose, we still 'win'.

I think my opinion would have been different had we won last week. I know it doesn't make sense, but after that loss, and with coaches appearing to 'jump ship', this is the perfect game to do this.

Or, we can fight,fight,fight our way to the bottom of round one. :ninja:

*flame away*

Post subject: Re: It should be Dominique Time
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:05 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

BTW, I could see us running up a huge score and letting Dominique have significant 'garbage time', which I would also be cool with. Im just saying, if it's 'close' put the backup in there the 4th qtr. Why not? :up:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If Ryan had any type of injury what so ever, I could see having him sit. If he's healthy, he needs to play. (Insert your standard "We want to keep him healthy" response here)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
If Ryan had any type of injury what so ever, I could see having him sit. If he's healthy, he needs to play. (Insert your standard "We want to keep him healthy" response here)

can you expound on this? why 'must' he play? besides the obvious, aren't you the least bit curious as to who we have backing him up? what is the great 'need' for him to play?

He's not RG3, who has to prove himself. Ryan already has. You know who hasn't? his backup. You know who is playing for RG#, so he can be healthy next season? Kirk Freeking Cousins! RG3's BACKUP.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10118 ... src=mobile

I just don't understand that philosophy. To me, it makes sense. Chess>Checkers, IMO :whistle:

Last edited by fun gus on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

can you expound on this? why 'must' he play? besides the obvious, aren't you the least bit curious as to who we have backing him up? what is the great 'need' for him to play?

Because Matt Ryan is the franchise QB and just got done signing a massive extension. If he is healthy he plays. You don't bench your franchise QB in the face of a losing season just to kick the tires of a 2nd string QB.

You figure out what you got in the preseason and clearly the Falcons determined from this past preseason that Dominique is the guy for the #2 spot. That or they didn't have any other options.

Benching your franchise QB to kick the tires of the 2nd string guy is tantamount to tanking the season. You just don't do it at the NFL level.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

dirtybirdnw wrote:
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Because Matt Ryan is the franchise QB and just got done signing a massive extension. If he is healthy he plays. You don't bench your franchise QB in the face of a losing season just to kick the tires of a 2nd string QB.

You figure out what you got in the preseason and clearly the Falcons determined from this past preseason that Dominique is the guy for the #2 spot. That or they didn't have any other options.

Benching your franchise QB to kick the tires of the 2nd string guy is tantamount to tanking the season. You just don't do it at the NFL level.

except it happens all the time. RG3 just got benched, and the reason is because he is the #2 sacked QB in the league behind Cam Newton, and Shanahan and Snyder dont want to see him wasted for next season AND want to see what Cousins can do. It's almost like they 'learned something' last year about this, huh? 8-)

Why is giving the backup player 'tanking'? We seem to do that alot. We put our gazilliondollar QB out there with UDFA's, JAG's and ROOKIES to 'see what they got'. Worrilow is balling, and we didn't even draft him, and he could be in consideration for ROY! Doesn't it say something about the franchise that we only let these guys get a chance due to 'injury'?

Sorry, this just doesn't make sense. It's like they are begging for the worse case scenario. :naughty:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Could not have said it better.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:30 pm 

fun gus wrote:
dirtybirdnw wrote:
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

except it happens all the time. RG3 just got benched, and the reason is because he is the #2 sacked QB in the league behind Cam Newton, and Shanahan and Snyder dont want to see him wasted for next season AND want to see what Cousins can do. It's almost like they 'learned something' last year about this, huh? 8-)

Because RGIII isn't healthy where as Ryan is. That and the Washington Redskin organization is a submarine with a grease fire in it's kitchen and sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

Atlanta isn't there yet and as I mentioned Matt Ryan is healthy.

Ohh... And RGIII sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You get paid to play, and the locker room understands that. You can't expect to keep your High $ QB out to protect him and not lose the locker room. EVERYONE else is expected to go out and risk their career and health, so if you sit your uninjured QB what are you telling all the other guys on the team? You are telling them that Ryan isn't one of them, and if you do that, you stop making it about 'team' in the ultimate team sport. Washington is a disaster for doing this unless they never go back to RGIII and stick with Shanahan and Cousins because if RGIII has played in every other game this year, and you already had people thinking he gets special treatment [remember Blank wheeling Vick around the sideline?], then he should play out and go down with the ship. If you take him out to keep him safe, you might as well trade him right now. Same goes for Ryan because there would be a huge hill to climb next season for Ryan if he ever could get back into the good graces of his teammates.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Please don't compare the Redskins QB situation to ours. Shanahan is benching RG3 because he's trying to get fired, not because he actually thinks it helps his team now or in the future.

MF1 and others nailed it, you bench Ryan it sends the same signal that trading Tony would have done, "We're quitting for\ the rest of the year," and thus when the year is over and all the players come back next year, the fight is out of the dog. The potential for them not respecting the coaching staff increases dramatically, because Mike Smith is entering the final year of his contract and you have a lame duck season akin to John Fox in Carolina in 2010.

We know what we have in Dominique Davis. An athletic, but inaccurate QB that needs more reps and time to develop. If there was a such thing as NFL Europe or another developmental league, he'd be a prime candidate to go there and get the reps he needs to develop. But I don't think we should just sub the last 3 games of the season (or any games really) for NFL Europe. If Davis develops, he develops. If he doesn't, then he doesn't. But ultimately it's meaningless to the health of this team. Unless you think Davis is going to be the difference between us winning a Super Bowl or not like Bledsoe in '01 or Hostetler in '90 or Doug Williams in '87, and I for one don't think he is or ever will be, who cares what you have.

You just paid $104 million to Matt Ryan. The focus should be on getting the most out of him rather than some clipboard holder that makes $500,000.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Worrilow is balling, and we didn't even draft him, and he could be in consideration for ROY! Doesn't it say something about the franchise that we only let these guys get a chance due to 'injury'?

Yes it does, and most of the NFL. He and the other outside corner and A. Smith, our two rookie corners, and the safety who stepped in for DeCould are new players which is what I was hoping for in this lousy year, Holmes has almost proven himself and Hawley looks like he may make it at center. I love #13.

We have a lot of youngsters and what would that show them?? Nothing positive!!

Bottom line is in the pro's your paid and you play. I don't have anything against down 24 and
let Ryan sit the fourth quarter. You just don't sit anyone who is healthy and who is a starter.
Ryan's got a lot to work on, but I want to see the first string line with Ryan. Even our right tackle may get the experience and get better.....

Gus said
Quote:
Last season before the playoffs, I posted we should have sat out starters. We lost Abe ( to a 'random' injury :wink: ) and we all saw how that played out.

Gus you were talking about holding him out 2 weeks....We had a bye the next week.

Anyway I want to see A. SMITH run the ball more, but I'm afraid Smith may fall in love with S. Jackson. Roddy is almost as important on offense; but you won't hold him out either.

Matt Ryan needs to continue to do his job; and get his confidence back!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:02 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Cyril touched it. You need to play Ryan to see how the rest of the offense responds and plays with him including the new guys. It does no good to have a good player play well with the back up and then cannot mesh with Ryan.

Give some of the bench warmers some more reps, but Ryan should definitely be on the field till the fourth quarter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I would like to see Toilolo and Johnson get more reps as the season winds down. Ryan should not be on the sideline unless the game is out of hand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Please don't compare the Redskins QB situation to ours. Shanahan is benching RG3 because he's trying to get fired, not because he actually thinks it helps his team now or in the future.

MF1 and others nailed it, you bench Ryan it sends the same signal that trading Tony would have done, "We're quitting for\ the rest of the year," and thus when the year is over and all the players come back next year, the fight is out of the dog. The potential for them not respecting the coaching staff increases dramatically, because Mike Smith is entering the final year of his contract and you have a lame duck season akin to John Fox in Carolina in 2010.

We know what we have in Dominique Davis. An athletic, but inaccurate QB that needs more reps and time to develop. If there was a such thing as NFL Europe or another developmental league, he'd be a prime candidate to go there and get the reps he needs to develop. But I don't think we should just sub the last 3 games of the season (or any games really) for NFL Europe. If Davis develops, he develops. If he doesn't, then he doesn't. But ultimately it's meaningless to the health of this team. Unless you think Davis is going to be the difference between us winning a Super Bowl or not like Bledsoe in '01 or Hostetler in '90 or Doug Williams in '87, and I for one don't think he is or ever will be, who cares what you have.

You just paid $104 million to Matt Ryan. The focus should be on getting the most out of him rather than some clipboard holder that makes $500,000.

I want to stress that I am not asking Double D to 'start' the last three games, unlike Cousins. Im talking about playing some 'significant' time, perhaps the 4th quarter. :naughty:

Abe playing deep into the fourth quarter in a meaningless game could have cost us the trip to the Superbowl. I know that Cyril has a point about being 'rusty' by sitting starters in that last game, and I do think there is something to be said about that. If Matt Ryan gets injured playing deep in the fourth in another meaningless game, I just dont think I can overlook that.

The cognitive dissonance is curious. On one hand, most everyone here is desperate to get Clowney, as he is supposed to be a 'once in a decade' type player. But, our best chance of screwing that up is letting our 104 million dollar QB try to win each game. Some here think an NFL player can be a victim of 'bullying', but to suggest Ryan sit a little is suddenly sending a terrible message of 'pussying out' or letting one player 'be safe'.

I see Ryan getting creamed every week, and cringe. The man must be made of rubber, but eventually, if you tempt the fates, they tend to even the score.

Here's a question for y'all: if were up by 3TD's OR 3 points, at the end of the 3rd, do you want Ryan starting the fourth? How much do you want him to play? Do you keep him in if were only down three? if he gets injured playing in garbage time when were 3-10 and up by three TD's, who do you hold accountable for that, if anyone? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If we are up by three TDs, sure, let DD play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Gus Wrote
Quote:
The cognitive dissonance is curious. On one hand, most everyone here is desperate to get Clowney, as he is supposed to be a 'once in a decade' type player. But, our best chance of screwing that up is letting our 104 million dollar QB try to win each game. Some here think an NFL player can be a victim of 'bullying', but to suggest Ryan sit a little is suddenly sending a terrible message of 'pussying out' or letting one player 'be safe'.

I see Ryan getting creamed every week, and cringe. The man must be made of rubber, but eventually, if you tempt the fates, they tend to even the score.

Here's a question for y'all: if were up by 3TD's OR 3 points, at the end of the 3rd, do you want Ryan starting the fourth? How much do you want him to play? Do you keep him in if were only down three? if he gets injured playing in garbage time when were 3-10 and up by three TD's, who do you hold accountable for that, if anyone? :?:

The Clowney issue is a separate issue. Sure I'd like him; but I never know how the draft will work out till after the season. Your implying we're going against that wish by expecting Ryan to play?? Its like when Vick had a broken leg; some wanted him to sit out the rest of the season because our line was bad then too. The games didn't mean anything....Reeves called him out and he did indeed play !! REEVES WAS TRYING TO GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT A PROFESSIONAL IS!!

Look in the NFL their ate standards of professionalism. Sure fools like T.O. might have done unprofessional things and that's what he's remembered for. Their is no garbage time during the 16 week games!! The owners get paid from television, the players get paid to play if healthy; and the coaches are trusted by all to give 100%, and season ticket holders have a right to see the best product on the field, TRYING TO WIN!!

Now I agree that once your up or down by 24 points going into the fourth quarter it takes 4 scores to win; so if that's garbage time ok. Most competitors don't want to come out; and I believe Payton, or Brady may think they could over come that. Its a mindset!!

But your just mistaken to believe if we're near 10 points any starter is coming out in the fourth quarter; to insure their health. Their are lots of Qbs getting killed but to the viewing audience; the ticket holders; and the coaches and the owners its the competition that is important. That's why people watch; that's why their are season ticket holders; and that's why Smith might be sweating a little. We'll draft whoever we want based on our record of competition!!

Your argument for Abe sitting out was better than any argument that Ryan doesn't play in a close game. If he gets hurt that's tough s***!! I hope of course that he doesn't get hurt, but lets not also be known for having an unprofessional franchise.

Ryan was paid 100 million to play; if we're ahead sure we can let the other guy take over or if we're hoplessly behind he can come in, but if its competitive Ryan plays for everyone's reputation.

Since you've said your in a band I don't think you walk off stage if nobody is clapping. It might be frustrating but you do your gig. And your not getting paid like Ryan I DOUBT (:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
Gus Wrote
Quote:

The Clowney issue is a separate issue. Sure I'd like him; but I never know how the draft will work out till after the season. Your implying we're going against that wish by expecting Ryan to play?? Its like when Vick had a broken leg; some wanted him to sit out the rest of the season because our line was bad then too. The games didn't mean anything....Reeves called him out and he did indeed play !! REEVES WAS TRYING TO GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT A PROFESSIONAL IS!!

Look in the NFL their ate standards of professionalism. Sure fools like T.O. might have done unprofessional things and that's what he's remembered for. Their is no garbage time during the 16 week games!! The owners get paid from television, the players get paid to play if healthy; and the coaches are trusted by all to give 100%, and season ticket holders have a right to see the best product on the field, TRYING TO WIN!!

Now I agree that once your up or down by 24 points going into the fourth quarter it takes 4 scores to win; so if that's garbage time ok. Most competitors don't want to come out; and I believe Payton, or Brady may think they could over come that. Its a mindset!!

But your just mistaken to believe if we're near 10 points any starter is coming out in the fourth quarter; to insure their health. Their are lots of Qbs getting killed but to the viewing audience; the ticket holders; and the coaches and the owners its the competition that is important. That's why people watch; that's why their are season ticket holders; and that's why Smith might be sweating a little. We'll draft whoever we want based on our record of competition!!

Your argument for Abe sitting out was better than any argument that Ryan doesn't play in a close game. If he gets hurt that's tough s***!! I hope of course that he doesn't get hurt, but lets not also be known for having an unprofessional franchise.

Ryan was paid 100 million to play; if we're ahead sure we can let the other guy take over or if we're hoplessly behind he can come in, but if its competitive Ryan plays for everyone's reputation.

Since you've said your in a band I don't think you walk off stage if nobody is clapping. It might be frustrating but you do your gig. And your not getting paid like Ryan I DOUBT (:

FTW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril has won this thread..... :up:

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril's logic is pretty solid here FG.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 am 

Fun Gus, I've always understood your point of view on this, I Just disagree with it.

I think part of it may be because you are coming from the perspective somewhat that the "next game" is gonna be better. You're always looking to protect the player from getting hurt so that it won't hurt us in the "next game."

Rather than sometimes you just have to focus on the "current game."

As I've said several times, if Ryan gets hurt in these final 3 games, then so be it. It'll be unfortunate, but it happened nonetheless. The positive is that the majority of the injuries that Ryan is likely to suffer if he does, won't be injuries that will put his 2014 season in jeopardy. And if the Falcons aren't changing OCs, then his work during OTAs won't be as necessary as it would have been if the team changed OCs.

But I think at some point you just have to accept injuries are part of the game. I think ultimately that is your issue, is that you somehow think that aspect of the game can be avoided outright or mitigated right out of existence. And it can't. The Falcons were exceedingly lucky for 5 years that they didn't have a bunch of major injuries, outside Julio Jones missing a game or two, Ryan missing a game or two, Brent Grimes missing a season, Turner missing a month, and not having to deal with any major disruptions to their OL besides a few injuries here and there, they were very healthy from 2008-12. That was luck. Not skill.

This year, people think the injury factor has been huge, but it really hasn't been exceptional in comparison to other teams. The rhetoric will be that the injuries ruined the Falcons season this year. No, what actually ruined the Falcons season is their poor ability to respond to those injuries. Just look at how many other teams dealt with season-ending injuries to great players:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... juries.htm

Teams like Patriots, Bears, Bengals, and Packers have been harder hit by injuries than the Falcons this year. And the Falcons aren't the only team to lose their best skill position player this year (TB-Martin, NE-Gronkowski, GB-Cobb, SEA-Harvin), but those teams have managed to compensate (somewhat), while the Falcons haven't.

The key to success to avoiding the injury bug isn't sitting guys, it's building stronger depth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

The key to success to avoiding the injury bug isn't sitting guys, it's building stronger depth.

That's what I was saying at the start of the year; but it included about 5 starting positions being filled by either rookies or first year starters who were really untested.....

Look its unpopular to say but if its not the line; then Matt Ryan is tanking. Brady & Manning
can find receivers almost at will. Many teams like Green Bay have lost star Qbs but their still around .500

Then again we went into the season with no pass rush hoping Osi would help.... That was a Joke, so was cutting or not paying Abe. I admitted I was ready to let Abe go but I don't get paid
to have the right answers.

Really I think Thomas D. did a worse job in the off season than Coach Smith during the season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 am 

Cyril wrote:
Really I think Thomas D. did a worse job in the off season than Coach Smith during the season.
This may be true, but it doesn't give Smitty a pass for being a little bitch during the season. Just because a co-worker sucks more at his job than you doesn't give you license to suck as well. :beef:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:10 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Its not a co-worker, its the guys who is suppose to find you football players....The guy who hired you. I still agree it doesn't give Smith a pass.

Its like at the end of a terrible season people will find fault with the sight and give up on it.Their
not really giving up though; we just don't have much to talk about when our wins suck!!

All you've wanted is for Ryan to have more longer passes and play wide open. I don't think Ryan wants to and I don't care what people say, nobody can make Ryan throw long!!
He loves the dink and dunk and always has.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
All you've wanted is for Ryan to have more longer passes and play wide open. I don't think Ryan wants to and I don't care what people say, nobody can make Ryan throw long!!
He loves the dink and dunk and always has.

Hard to throw deep when you have receivers who can't get seperation and an O-line that is giving him zero protection. when White and Jones were healthy last year, he seemed to have no problem pulling the trigger. How soon we forget. Can't blame him for loving dinking and dunking when he's getting killed back there. Plus, the short quick pass is an extention to our (lack of) running game.