All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lineman,lineman,lineman..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:24 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Posted: 5:39 p.m. Monday, Nov. 25, 2013

Dimitroff likes offensive, defensive line draft prospects for 2014

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff believes the 2014 NFL draft in strong in the team’s obvious need areas of offensive and defensive line.

The Falcons, at 2-9, are in contention for the top overall pick and appear destined for at least a top 10 pick.

Dimitroff, spoke with the team’s announcers Dave Archer and Wes Durham on 790 TheZone on Monday.

“Now moving forward on to (2014), there are some really hot positions out there right, interestingly enough, along both fronts, again, which is rare to have two seasons in a row that there a number of defensive linemen out there as well as a number of offensive linemen that are going to be difference makers,” Dimitroff said. “So, that’s a positive.”

The Falcons attempt to revamp the offensive line, as they tried to get bigger and more athletic, has been a failure.

Quarterback Matt Ryan has been under extreme duress all season and the rushing attack has been meek.

Defensively, the Falcons have not been able to stop the run or mount much of a pass rush. They give up 130 yards rushing per game, which ranks 28th and only have 22 sacks, which ranks 27th in the league.

“I believe again given the fact that there are going to be players out there that are going to be impact players, again, it’s going to be up to us and our scouting staff and our coaching staff to discern which are going to be the best fits for us and how many we in fact do take,” Dimitroff said.

Post subject: Re: lineman,lineman,lineman..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

He's saying the right things... But is he trying to distract us from what he's really going to do?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:53 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

RobertAP wrote:
He's saying the right things... But is he trying to distract us from what he's really going to do?

If you mean that he's just bluffing that he won't be looking at drafting a lineman in the first round of the draft, then I sure hope he's not trying to "distract" us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

No it will be mostly linemen!! I'm hoping we start working for a very tough defense; and offensive line. I THINK BLANK will keep both Thomas D. and
Coach Smith; he knows they work hard; and he gets along with them.

Next season is very important if we keep T.D & SMITH. we uncovered two free agent linebackers; Hopefully Hawley seems so far to be playing a good center. We get Holmes in shape; and he won't be leaking oil fron the start. Maybe even get two free agents and use them either o-line or d- LINE. i DON'T LIKE ANY OF OUR RUNNING BACKS but that can change.

We must be better than 8-8 to stay after next year,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:24 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/11/26 ... d-tackling

Three Things To Consider As 2013 Winds Down For Falcons

By Dave Choate @TheFalcoholic on Nov 26 2013, 4:00p 39
Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Three things that need to be put to rest as Falcons fans grapple with a poor season.

When your team is sitting at 2-9 after going 13-3 and making the NFC Championship Game the year before, cognitive dissonance is a powerful tidal force. It's impossible to believe that such a thing could have happened without something going majorly wrong, or a series of mistakes over several years. The urge to find a compelling narrative that explains this is mighty strong.

Sometimes we hit on truths. This team had true weaknesses along the lines and wasn't built to suffer one or two catastrophic injuries, much less a half-dozen. The coaching staff is too often at a loss when forced to change the game plan. Top to bottom, the execution this year has been inexcusably sloppy and lousy, which means the hard part is actually finding just one scapegoat.

Other times, we we take a perfectly reasonable conclusion and make too much hay of it. The following are three topics that I'd like to share my thoughts about.

Matt Ryan is garbage this year. There's a reasonably large, very vocal contingent of the fanbase who believes Matt Ryan is not the answer. They want another quarterback now—and probably have for years—and each Ryan interception cements it further for them. If you really want to cash Ryan in for a rookie quarterback and punt the lines until the second round, that's what you want. If you can make a reasonable case for it, more power to you. But Ryan hasn't been as awful as all that.

I'm not going to take on Ryan's leadership or whether he should have tried to make it into the end zone on that run against the Saints, because I think you can make the case that he should be a more vocal leader if you wish, and you can certainly make the case that sliding five yards out is weak alfredo sauce. I'm also not going to argue that the four game stretch where Ryan was awful represented a failing on everyone's part but Ryan's, because hell, I'm not completely blind.

So has Ryan been any good in 2013?

The answer: Yes. Just not nearly as good as last year. Consider, for a moment, that the Falcons have a bottom ten pass and run blocking offensive line, no ground game, no Julio Jones and a still-limited Roddy White. Consider that the most targeted receivers a week ago were Harry Douglas and Darius Johnson and you start to see context for the way Ryan has performed. His slash line right now is 67% completion/3,160 yards/7.1 YPA/18 TDs/12 INTs, numbers that are worse than his last two years but roughly in line with career averages, interceptions excepted. The biggest and most justifiable knock against Ryan has been the interception rate, and I"ll be clear: Several of those have been purely his fault. He's got to stop forcing the ball into traffic when he's got an open man. Yet he's working against the odds in a way I don't think we're properly appreciating.

"But Dave," you say, "look at what Tom Brady has done with his inferior options!" This is where I attempt to dispel another myth. The Patriots are winning, but Brady's having maybe the worst year of his career with a much better offensive line. The upswing in his performance in recent weeks has everything to do with the return of Gronk and Danny Amendola, but he's still sitting on a 60%/2,896/6.7/17/7 line for the year. If you chalk team wins purely up to the QB, you're going to have to explain to me how Brady and Ryan's numbers account for a six win swing.

As I've noted again and again, Ryan is not Brees, Manning or Rodgers. He needs a better line in front of him and a reasonable array of weapons to do great things. In my humble opinion, it's not a crime to be a Top Ten guy who isn't in the Top 3-5 stratosphere, and his contract isn't going to be the albatross many think it is. It's the price you pay for a reliably excellent quarterback. If that's a deal breaker for you, if you believe the only way the Falcons are going to win is if they can get an even better quarterback that costs less money through the draft, then that's your right. You have every right to be critical of Ryan's play this season. You're just not going to get another QB in Atlanta in the near future, and there's every reason to believe a healthier and hopefully better Falcons team will mean a return to form for Ryan in 2014 and beyond.
The Falcons are a piece or two away on the lines. I've gone on record numerous times saying that I think the Falcons can drastically improve next year by making the lines a priority. They are not one or two pieces away, however.

Take a look at these lines, as currently constructed. Left to right you have one injury-prone starter with two quality season under his belt (Sam Baker); a second-year pro who has improved enough to be considered a league-average left tackle (Lamar Holmes); an always solid left guard who is getting older and isn't suddenly going to improve drastically (Justin Blalock); a bearded center who took over from a terrible second-year, second-round pick who may be the best option by default (Joe Hawley); the aforementioned terrible second-year pro who is maybe an average right guard (Peter Konz); and an always mediocre right tackle who is on the wrong side of 30 (Jeremy Trueblood). At best, you squint and see some combination of Sam Baker and Holmes at tackle, Blalock at left guard and Hawley suddenly blossoming into a decent center and you've got...a mediocre offensive line. Maybe average.

The Falcons are not a piece away here. Drafting Jake Matthews means they'll be breaking in a potentially elite tackle, but there's still major holes elsewhere. The Falcons either need Konz and Holmes to make dramatic strides in the off-season or invest significant draft and free agent capital on the line. I'd say the latter is more likely.

Then there's the defensive side of the ball. The Falcons have Osi Umenyiora and his on-again, off-again production for another season, and if they're willing to pony up, both Jonathan Babineaux and Corey Peters remain quality options at defensive tackle. Returning Kroy Biermann adds stability and versatility to the other side of the line. Still, this is a unit without a single elite playmaker, and even giving Malliciah Goodman, Jonathan Massaquoi and Stansly Maponga the benefit of the doubt, they're not going to have one in 2013. It's easier to imagine plugging a Top 5 draft pick in on this unit and seeing dramatic improvement, but again, they're going to need to sign multiple guys to make real strides. That's particularly true because Peters, Babs and Peria Jerry are all free agents, leaving the cupboard potentially bare at defensive tackle.

The lines can be fixed, but the Falcons are not a player away in either unit, unless you're thinking a player away from league average.
Desmond Trufant is a long-term #3 cornerback. I want to tackle this one in particular because I see this so often. I see three common forms of this meme:

1) "Robert Alford is better and should be starting over Trufant"
2) "Trufant isn't a playmaker and can't tackle, so he should be the #3 guy"
3) "Trufant doesn't cover that well and so he should be the #3 guy"

All of these are wrong, wrong, wrong. Alford has played quite well this season and has a bright future, but he's been considerably worse in coverage than Trufant by almost any metric you can use. Pro Football Focus has Trufant at a +3.7 in coverage this year and Alford at -0.9. Trufant has graded out that highly despite being used on 698 snaps to Alford's 296, and his yards per target are lower. Alford has been remarkably solid for a second round rookie, and he's shown us flashes of the athleticism and instincts that could make him a great cornerback. Trufant has been a Top 25 corner as a rookie. Both should be starting a year from now, but right now, Tru is better.

Trufant has been a solid tackler throughout the year. He seems to be good for one not-so-great attempt every couple of games, which many seize upon to confirm the idea that Trufant isn't a solid tackler. He's only been credit with only a couple of missed tackles on the year, however. As for the idea that he's not a playmaker, it's worth noting that the league leader for interceptions is just five. Trufant would have two if William Moore hadn't knocked him out, which would be good for a tie for 30th in the league with about 50 other players. His 14 pass deflections, meanwhile, tie him for 4th in the NFL. I know we would all like to see more picks, but he's out there making more plays on the ball than anyone else in the secondary.

I don't even know how to address the idea that Trufant isn't good in coverage. Saints receivers he covered managed only four catches for 50 yards, and he added three deflections. He has consistently limited the damage despite being a frequent target for opposing quarterbacks who want to test a rookie. No one else on this Falcons team has done as well in coverage, actually.

Plenty of Falcons fans appreciate Trufant's excellence this season. Those that don't aren't likely to be swayed by anything I've written here, but suffice to say Tru's been better than any of us could have reasonably expected.

I'll get off my soapbox and let you guys have at it. What has been vexing you, and would you agree or disagree with these?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge say an O-line is underrated and he thinks he knows everything; so what else are we going to talk about??

IMO Thomas D. AND Coach Smith are about the same at their jobs. I've tried to explain going into the season we didn't have a right tackle or right guard; or even a left Tackle....

Besides Weatherspoon we had two free agents beat out the people we expected to start??No one was excited about our other two linebackers.!!

Then we knew we were starting with two rookie corners.... I have said this everywhere folks have said what happened?? It was just the team was way overrated.

Clabo & McClure were rather good; so we lost them never to fill their positions adequately. They were good;while those fighting for positions had been on the team 3 or 4 years and couldn't even break the practice squad their first year;
and had chances to start but just we not that good. Konz was said to be out of position but
he sucked last year; and is not ready (but learning) this year!!

We basically traded Osi for Abe and I think both lines went backwards.

Ryan throws all passes in a half of a second if a receiver is open or not; he's really gotten guy shy; but since I GIVE THE ANSWER i believe in; the team was way overrated going into this year; I just assume everyone agrees with Pudge that the line play is underrated. Since I don't get any other feedback except for Pudge; and I try to tell him its really a simple game (That's why we all understand it) and no offensive linemen and only 24 sacks is not a winning formula.) And Ryan just doesn't want to get hit anymore.

So I answer, but no one else wants to say that's a possibility since most were expecting a Super Bowl.

Did you really expect to fill 8 positions with 2 rookies and 4-6 losers who already had chances
and couldn't cut it AND had not worked out??

PLEASE PUT THIS IN YOUR MENTAL BANK------iF YOU GO 0-4 IN PRESEASON AND LOOK LIKE s*** DOING SO; IT WAS SAID YOU HAVE A 17% OF MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

iNJURIES then showed our lack of depth; and Ryan is not a leader but he's more than good enough. He's consistently a top ten Qb if given a reasonable enough time to throw.

Cyril says
Quote:
The team was very overrated with all the holes in the line; then the injuries made us horrible.
We got away with it last year because we had the two extra linemen and Julio & Roddy and Tony G. had career years as did Ryan!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

First of all Cyril, I said OL play was overrated. And that's based off the sentiment of some like yourself and RObertAP in this and other threads that you're implying that an NFL team cannot win without a good offensive line. And that's BS. Because this team has proven the past two years that you can win without a good OL.

Does OL play matter? Yes. Does the better OL you have, the better your team? Yes. Does having a good OL hide a lot of other flaws you have on your offense and team? Yes. Does having a bad OL expose a lot of issues you have on your team? Yes.

But again, this Falcon football team is one of the 2-5 worst teams in the league currently. And even with their bad OL, there's no excuse for that. It's even money between us Houston, Jacksonville, and Minnesota as who is the worst team in the league right now. And right now, I'd put both Houston and Minnesota above us. No excuse for being that bad.

As for this team being highly overrated coming into this year? I would agree. But again, this was not a team that was 1 injury to Julio Jones and 1 injury to Kroy Biermann away from being a 2-14 team. This team was 1 injury to Julio Jones and 1 injury to Kroy Biermann away from being a 6-10 team.

I've heard you say that every 6 or so years, even good teams have years like this. And I say BS. No, teams don't have years like this. They have down years certainly, but a down year for a good team that is a perennial playoff contender is 6-10, not 2-14.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

OVERRATTED IS WHAT i meant you said!! Jeez I knew you'd be the only one to respond not because people don't think your wrong; but they don't want to get on the wrong side of Pudge. I say what I mean!! Sure a team can win with an average line; but YOU can look at a terrible line and say its impact on our winning is overrated....Now that's BS. FROM FOOTBALL 101. i REALIZE YOU THINK YOUR ABOVE THAT; BUT MAYBE YOU NEED A REFRESHER COURSE IN THE BASICS.

THE LINE impacts the qb the most--- its not the coaches; the line impacts the the running backs next; its not the coaches; and the line impacts the receivers in a big way; since they
have traumatized the qb; not the coaches.

Look the saying it "all starts upfront" may have been said 40 years ago but why do you still hear it today. This is so basic to football but you want to find that special Qb that 1 in 50
that might get away with it. Keep studying; Vick got away with it; but it can't be debated...

For crying out loud; our line hasn't had injuries; except sorry Baker who showed nothing.....
Your the first person who ever said an -offensive line was overrated!! a GOOD ONE IS NOT OVERATTED AND A BAD ONE IS NOT OVERATTED; AND A HORRIBLE ONE IS NOT OVERATTED.

Look I can't just debate you on this no brainer; maybe others like to watch us disagree; but this isn't a disagreement; This is you saying the coaches can do something about Ryan freezing up; about no running game; about a very small passing game. s*** this is to simple to disagree on. You can write paragraph after paragraph and put everyone to sleep; but unlike most here including me; when you say something boneheaded (and we all do over a season) you'd rather defend it for weeks. This isn't worth it to me; its just too stupid!!

I NEVER SAID OR IMPLIED A TEAM COULD NOT WIN WITHOUT A GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE;
bUT i HAVE SAID THEY CAN'T WIN WITH A TERRIBLE o-LINE. We basically traded McCLURE FOR hAWLEY & Clabo FOR john doe. You think this line is better than last years?? Are you kidding me; look with your eyes; don't read what talking heads are telling you!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:44 pm 

First of all, this line isn't terrible. We have yet to see a terrible OL here in Atlanta. That's part of the disagreement here Cyril, is that many folks like yourself believe this OL is a lot worse than it actually is, because again you're over-exaggerating the suckiness of the OL because it fits the narrative that this team is about to be 2-14 or 3-13 and therefore the only way that's possible is if the OL is the worst that it's ever been.

But you're right, the OL does limit the Falcons offensive effectiveness. I've never denied that.

But what you're not understanding is that successful QBs have a "platform for success." And what's become increasingly clear in Atlanta this year is that this coaching staff (namely Dirk Koetter) is no more capable than the former coaching staff (i.e. Mike Mularkey) in building that platform for success.

What appears to be the case is that last year's success was largely thanks to the skill of the receivers (Julio, Roddy, and Tony) all coinciding to have the elite seasons they have. Because all 3 of 10-15 of the premier "man beaters" the OC really didn't have to do anything besides say, "Hey guys, go out and just get open and Matt will find you." Now that you remove 1 and then 2 of those options, this coaching staff doesn't know how to function. They can't say that anymore, and thusly this offense cannot function. Again, that has little to do with the OL, and has everything to do with the play of the QB, WR, and the play-calling of the OC.

The difference between you and I is that I see the "Failure of Brian Robiskie" as 100% on Mike Smith and his coaching staff. I can somewhat understand the Falcons brass thinking that they didn't have to do anything drastic at WR once Julio went down based off the belief that Roddy White would be healthy soon and that Matt Ryan would elevate the play of the young WRs.

They were of course very wrong on both counts. But in terms of the latter aspect, they don't get much of a pass because they know their offensive platform better than anybody else. They should be able to anticipate that their offense is going to fail. They start out using complementary routes vs. Arizona, but then stop after that outside the occasional crossing route underneath to Douglas.

But the Falcons have seen Drew Davis and Kevin Cone since 2011, and should have a firm handle on their skill level. The fact that this team knew that their #4 and #5 receivers couldn't function in the no-huddle despite being on the team for 2.5 years is a HUGE failure on them.

You don't get a pass on that just because the OL isn't good. The OL being crappy has nothing to do with their inability to evaluate their own WR talent and to procure other WR talent.

Instead of letting Robiskie sit on the inactive list for 5 weeks, you can go out and get a deep threat that can make the occasional 2-3 big plays down the field that this offense now requires because of the bad OL. Again, people think because the OL is bad that this team isn't able to throw deep. That's not true. When you look at many of the big plays the Falcons had last year (which weren't many), they would often use max protect. They aren't doing that much anymore, besides maybe 1 play call a game, which usually happens late in the game when the team is already down 2-3 scores. They need to do those things on the first 15 scripted plays of the game.

If Darius Johnson, Harry Douglas, or Drew Davis aren't capable of getting behind the CB and mkaing the play, then it's 100% of this coaching staff to find someone that does.

If Mike Smith/Dirk Koetter aren't smart enough to realize that they need someone that can challenge down the field to compensate for this bad OL and offense, then they don't deserve their jobs. If they are smart enough to realize that but are too much of punks to go to Thomas Dimitroff and say they need said player, then they don't deserve their jobs.

It all starts up front. Guess what Cyril? I agree 100% with that. But you've taken it a step further. You believe it starts up front and ends up front. It doesn't. It may start there, but it doesn't have to end there.

The past 2 games have been a small improvement for this coaching staff. At least in the first quarter they've called and managed good games. The problem is that this team doesn't have the talent to stand up for a full 4 quarters. So what they need to do now is to push the envelope even further in the 1st quarter. Try to generate more big plays.

I've been saying it for over 6 weeks now, if/when this team starts to generate big plays on offense, particularly early in games, you will see a huge uptick in their offensive production. And the beef I have Cyril is that this too is Football 101, and yet this team's coaching staff doesn't understand it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
First of all, this line isn't terrible. We have yet to see a terrible OL here in Atlanta. That's part of the disagreement here Cyril, is that many folks like yourself believe this OL is a lot worse than it actually is, because again you're over-exaggerating the suckiness of the OL because it fits the narrative that this team is about to be 2-14 or 3-13 and therefore the only way that's possible is if the OL is the worst that it's ever been.

Jeez you put this line with Julio out; Roddy might as well be out; and yes the line is terrible.
Bart use to get sacked 50 times every season but it was because he was standing in and trying to make big plays....When Ryan stands in and it isn't often; he gets sacked too. The 5 yard pass he's happy for because he knows he doesn't have the arm strength to fire it it in to tight quarters.

Our rushing game is nowhere to be found; so what are we going to do??

I said we'd be 6-10 before the season (preseason sold me on our lack of a line) and then you take away our star receivers; and you get 3-13. You've changed to blame the coaches; because you misread this team. You've changed your thinking to fit YOUR narritive.

You thought it was fine letting Tony G. be home with his family while making 12 million a year; and others where in pads working. I put that on the coach; but you didn't realize the signal it gave to the team. Roddy tweeting" if we don't go to the Super Bowl the season is lost" shows how those around these arrogant fans and team; that a Super Bowl is coming; for sure; and they never think to ask what kind of team do we have returning? Not the same one with worse Offensive line prospects. Then what do you think??

This has made you expect more out of Douglas Than he has; I love # 13 and hate he had the crucial fumble last week. Its still not going to be what your wanting; not only because our 0-LINE SUCKS; but because of our depth was weak....

BTW-you have beat the Robiskie thing like it was not getting some linemen in the off season!! Just how many deep threats were their three weeks ago?? What would they have cost in draft picks next year?? Please I take it back; save the 5 pages for another day ....

Please don't say I've never seen a terrible line; one that gave up 70 sacks; but I didn't expect Ryan to give up as the slide showed how badly he doesn't want to be hit... In other words Ryan's taking so few sacks big plays can't be made with this Offensive line and Ryan.

When things are going well Ryan does well. When their are challenges he's still going to play Ryan ball. This year its just not good enough. Please don't expect me to believe Coach Smith and Ryan both forgot what to do at the same time!! This horrible line has lead us too just 800 yards this whole season; while opponents have out rushed us by 600 yards.... OUT RUSHED BY 600 YARDS; THAT ONE LINE THAT SUCKS BIG TIME.

WE NEED 600 RUSHING YARDS TO BE AS BAD AS LAST YEARS RUSHING; AND LAST YEAR WE HAD TURNER!!

Now that's an O-line that sucks.... Its worse than last years and so is Ryan by a long shot; because of it!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Terren Jones said Wednesday it will feel like another preseason game with the Falcons if he plays against the Bills on Sunday.

Jones, a rookie offensive tackle, was signed to the active roster from the practice squad on Tuesday. He has not played in a game since the preseason, when he was trying to earn a roster spot.

He said he’ll have similar motivation if he plays on Sunday, except this time he’ll be trying to show he should be included in Atlanta’s plans for 2014.

“It’s kind of like a preseason game when I went out there and coaches were evaluating us,” Jones said. “I get to go out there and prove I can be a franchise offensive tackle.”

Jones (6-7, 341) signed with Atlanta as an undrafted rookie free agent from Alabama State.

“Terren has done a nice job,” coach Mike Smith said after Wednesday’s practice. “He’s a big guy that’s worked extremely hard at all three offensive line positions. He came in as a 380-pound guy who probably needed to lose some weight, but he has answered the challenge.

"We put him on a very strict regimen and he’s done that."

“He has the versatility to play tackle, guard, and even in a pinch some center. We'll get an opportunity to evaluate him over these next five weeks.”

The depth chart lists Jones at right tackle behind Jeremy Trueblood and Sean Locklear, at left guard behind Justin Blalock, at right guard behind Garrett Reynolds and Peter Konz, at Left Tackle behind Lamar Holmes, and finally at center behind Joe Hawley and Peter Konz. The Falcons have tried different combinations on the line all season and Mike Smith thinks the versatility in the young Jones only builds upon that. "To play on our line you must be a jack of all trades and we feel Terren can bring that. It's a tough rotation to crack, but we are confident in Terren and more importantly in the process."

Jones said he expects to play.

“That’s what I’m hearing,” he said. “I’m just trying to get ready for when my number is called.”

want to know HOW BAD our OL is? Read and weep :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:48 pm 

Cyril wrote:
ou've changed to blame the coaches; because you misread this team. You've changed your thinking to fit YOUR narrative.

I'm blaming the coaches based entirely off how bad this team has become. They should never be in contention for the worst team in the league. There's no way you can tell me that this team goes from 10 yards to the Super Bowl to the worst team in the NFL because of losing Julio Jones, Tyson Clabo, Todd McClure, John Abraham, and Kroy Biermann.

That's my problem. Those injuries shouldn't turn you from a Top 5 team to a Bottom 5 team. Other teams deal with injuries and don't fall off that much. Because those teams coaches prevent those teams from just giving up on their seasons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You won't ever tell the whole story; its the linemen we lost Claybo and McClure that were not replaced; Sam Baker came back and was terrible. Who did they think was going to be our right guard.....?? Konz was so bad they gave his position to Hawley. No you just change your
ideas to make you seem like a guru. Your not; and can make the same mistakes we make.

The line is overrated----YOU said it You live with it!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm 

Yep, line play is overrated. The Falcons gave up six sacks on Sunday and still scored 34 points.

Vindication!!!

Teams that have been sacked 4 or more times in the past 2 weeks are 9-9-1. Teams that have been sacked 2 or less times in that span are 15-14-1. 6 or more times, 1-2-1.

The point being is that having a bad OL doesn't doom you to being a s***ty team. Losing Clabo and McClure hurt this team, but their losses don't explain why the Falcons suddenly became a Bottom 5 team is the point I'm making. There are other issues obviously, and the injury to Julio JOnes being the main one.

This team was competitive in the first 5 weeks, losing 4 games in the final 5 minutes. Then after facing a quitting Bucs team, this team completely crapped the bed for 4 straight games. The reason for that had little to do with McClure/Clabo being lost. It had everything to do with Julio JOnes being out, and Roddy White being a non-factor, and this offense not knowing what to do with itself.

Matt Ryan didn't play well over that span, but he also wasn't given a great platform to succeed. That's not excusing Matt Ryan's bad decisions, missed reads, and "pussified" play over that span, but as I said following the 2011 Giants Fiasco, not having that platform didn't help. The coaches gameplans were to basically dink and dunk, hope they could establish the running game early, and get stops on defense. Again, my point is that is a TERRIBLE gameplan, when you have a running game that up to that point was on pace to be one of the worst in NFL history, and a defense that is close dead-last in the league.

That has more to do with this team's poor play from Weeks 8-12 than not being able to adequately replace McClure/Clabo.

The point I'm trying to make Cyril, is that if this coaching staff was worth its salt, it would have figured out that they needed to throw the ball downfield and try to generate big plays on offense if they wanted to sustain any semblance of the success they had in the first 5 weeks. They got those big plays from Julio, and thanks to a few coverage breakdowns against the Bucs in Week 7, were able to get those big plays to get the win that week.

Yesterday vs. the Bills they went back to the big play well, and it paid off with the best offensive performance of the season (34 points) and a team that didn't lay down in the second half as they had done vs. the Bucs in Week 7 and Rams in Week 2, their only other wins.

This issue is the crux of the Falcons problems in 2013, not the OL. THis is why I'm blaming the coaches. And why I'm upset with you because you seemingly are ignoring this factor, and simply scapegoating the OL, when the play of the OL has little to do with this.

This team's idea of generating big plays were screen passes to Harry Douglas, which for most of this season (basically until the Bills game) probably only averaged maybe 4-5 yards.

Look if the Falcons tried to take deep shots and Matt Ryan was sacked 6 times every week, and threw 3 picks every week, then so be it. But my beef is that they aren't even trying. Out of fear. And that is what is bothering me about Mike Smith and why I've switched sides and become much more critical of him. I'm starting to realize that a certain part of Matt Ryan is always going to play like a little bitch. I can accept that because again, he's the best QB in this team's history and still is a Top 10 QB when he's on his game. But what I cannot abide by is the coaching staff being little bitches too, which is exactly what Mike Smith & Co. have been for 6 weeks because they were playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You're exactly right Pudge. Mike Smith wants his players to play scared. That's why I think him getting in Alford's face immediately after Alford's great play was completely stupid. Mike Smith has a loser philosophy. I can't believe I'm this angry at this point in a broken season. I also don't understand how you guys can defend this kind of stuff. Our whole approach to football is, "DON'T DO ANYTHING SPECIAL! Don't make any mistakes. Just go out and play conservative as hell for 60 minutes." I'm tired of watching that kind of football.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Mike Smith wants his players to play scared. That's why I think him getting in Alford's face immediately after Alford's great play was completely stupid. Mike Smith has a loser philosophy. I can't believe I'm this angry at this point in a broken season. I also don't understand how you guys can defend this kind of stuff. Our whole approach to football is, "DON'T DO ANYTHING SPECIAL! Don't make any mistakes. Just go out and play conservative as hell for 60 minutes." I'm tired of watching that kind of football.

Sounds awful familiar to Bill Bellichik's loser philosiphy as well. That certainly hasn't paid off for him or that franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Yep, line play is overrated. The Falcons gave up six sacks on Sunday and still scored 34 points.

Your stats suck too. A qB who gets sacks 6 times will get hurt soon. Oh I know; you'd call
that random ...

We scored 24 points through the 57 minute mark then were given points. It was Buffalo THEY'VE WON 4 GAMES 1 MORE THAN US.

Your only being charged of being highly misguided; there is no vindication to that!!

Quote:
Vindication!!!

You said "Offensive line play is overrated". You think your cute stats impress anyone?

I was more impressed by the guy that looked it up and said 17% of all teams that go 0-4
in preseason get to the playoffs.

How many sacks took us out of field goal range.?

Anyone who thinks Offensive line play is overrated has never played the game. Sorry Pudge
you just JUMPED off a cliff on that statement ------ Now your trying to justIfy it; Give it UP!!

i'D DIE BEFORE i SAID OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY IS OVERRATED !! SO JUST STOP; BLAME COACH SMITH FOR EVERYTHING; BEFORE YOU SAY OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY IS OVERRATED.

its an ugly really stupid statement; and your not stupid!! Really!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:27 pm 

Cyril wrote:
Your stats suck too. A qB who gets sacks 6 times will get hurt soon. Oh I know; you'd call
that random …

It is random. Look at Dominique Davis. The first or second time he gets hit, he is injured and carted off the field. Matt Ryan has taken 60 some odd hits and yet to be forced to leave the field. How would you describe that other than as "random?" Maybe words like irregular, fluky, coincidental, variable, uncertain, incidental, illogical, accidental, erratic, unpredictable, capricious, unforeseeable sound better to you but at the end of the day it's still random.

Here are some more cute stats to consider…

Football Outsiders, Advanced NFL Stats, and Pro Football Focus' metrics all suggest that Buffalo has a Top 10 defense. Football Outsiders has Buffalo with the 4th best defensive DVOA vs. the pass going into this week's game.

And the Falcons had their 2nd highest pass yardage of the year against them (423), only eclipsed by the Patriots game (457). They also had their best 3rd down conversation of the year with 56-percent conversion against a defense that was Top 15 prior to Sunday in getting off the field on third down.

Yes, Buffalo gave away that game. Buffalo lost, mores than Atlanta won. No denying that from me, but it doesn't change the fact that despite that the Falcons still had arguably their best offensive game of the season against quality competition.

And that is thanks largely to their ability and success generating big plays. All one has to do is look at the Bills game, as well as both Bucs games which were the only games since Jones injury where the Falocns have managed to score more than 14 points. And in all of those games, the Falcons ability to score points was largely based off their ability to generate big play. You saw that in the 1st half vs. TB in Week 7 with those big plays mainly to Douglas, and at the end of their Week 11 loss to TB where big plays by HD and Antone Smith led to them scoring late.

This is what I've been saying for weeks now, that if the Falcons want to score they have to generate huge chunks of yards. They did that vs. Buffalo, and the prove is in the pudding.

The beef I've had is that for the 5 weeks since Week 7, the Falcons haven't even tried to generate these big plays. Now, I know you're going to blame that entirely on Matt Ryan and not the coaching staff. And ultimately it's Dirk Koetter that needs to answer for that. But my beef with Mike Smith is that I think if he had gone to Dirk and said, "Hey we need to start dialing up the big plays each week" Koetter would have done so. And because Mike Smith is the "captain of the ship," he can't let a crappy "1st mate" sink the vessel.

When Brian Billick was about to get fired in Baltimore, he refused to go down like that and basically took over play-calling duties. I wish we had seen more urgency from the Falcons over the past 5 weeks, because I believe the performance we saw against Buffalo was something we could have seen at least 2 or 3 times over the past 5 games, and thus we might be a team in playoff contention alongside the Bears or Eagles rather than a team that is hoping and praying for the No. 1 pick.

And that to me would have solidified my former belief that Mike Smith is a helluva coach, because he would've been dealt a bad hand and made the most out of it by bluffing his way to win the pot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well it wouldn't be random if he's sacked 6 times every game. Its like dying, you may call it random but if you smoke 5 packs a day the odds are not in your favor.....

Quote:

Football Outsiders, Advanced NFL Stats, and Pro Football Focus' metrics all suggest that Buffalo has a Top 10 defense. Football Outsiders has Buffalo with the 4th best defensive DVOA vs. the pass going into this week's game.

Cyril Thinks
Quote:

Well they weren't Sunday. You see the difference is I think your smarter than those guys; I think they should be reading your stuff!!

Your reading their crap takes away from what you see; and takes away your gut reaction;
Yea I read that crap too, then saw they had won ONLY 4 games ........ What the stats don't tell you is they find a way to lose. We're last in third down conversions we usually earn our losses (:

WHEN YOUR COACH HAS HAD 5 STRAIGHT WINNING SEASONS; THEN THE TEAM ONLY WINS 3 IN 11 OR SO GAMES I figure someone forgot to get him new players ..... I would tell Coach Smith not to pass long to A. Smith; LET HIM RUN IT ABOUT 15 TIMES; he might be the one in 500 that doesn't need a line; I blinked and he was in the end zone!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:05 pm 

Here's a question Cyril for you…

Do you believe that Mike Smith was outcoached for 5 weeks? (Weeks 8-12)

Or do you believe the poor performances of the Falcons during that span was entirely because of the talent level of the team?

I'm not asking why we lost. I'm asking why in 4 of those 5 instances we lost badly.

From my perspective, I could probably count a total of 5 games where I think Mike Smith was clearly out coached from 2008-12. It might be more than that, but it was a number less than 10 I'm sure. Those instances where RobertAP and others said it was a consistent trend with Smitty IMO were rare and sporadic. For every game where he was clearly outcoached, there were 4 or 5 between them where he wasn't. And thus 1 out of 6 ain't bad.

But then fast forward to this year, and you have 5 straight games where I think he was outcoached.

I'm not trying to get you to say Mike Smith should be fired. All I really want from you is to say that Mike Smith hasn't coached the team very well this year (at least over the past month or so). And no, saying that he made a mistake with Tony is not such an admission because that's saying that something he did in August was a bad decision. I just want you to admit that he hasn't done a good job coaching in October/November. If you say that, then I'll drop it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If I WAS THE OWNER and I DID FIRE SMITH IT WOULD NOT BE JUST THE TONY G. THING; BUT i THINK IT WAS A MUCH BIGGER DEAL THAN YOU DO.... i THOUGHT IT SHOWED THROUGH HIS ACTIONS THAT ONE PLAYER WAS ABOVE THE TEAM....

Then it would be from the preseason; we sucked and I must assume that Smith thought things were alright... Heck he has Baker going up against Babs; he has Konz in practice going up against Peters; Its the daily practices where a coach should know exactly where his team stands!! You have Offensive starters going one on one with defensive starters. Smith should have know his line sucks. Maybe you don't remember preseason but when our first team plays against opponents first team we really sucked their too. (If I was owner I would blame Smith for letting us go into a season without people who can win)

Then If I really wanted to fire him; I'd blame him for playing Roddy just because Roddy wanted to keep his streak alive. The Coach sometimes just has to piss people off for the good of the team. We remembered Sunday what a even somewhat Roddy really gets the attention off Tony G. and I thought Roddy was selfish for himself, and not the team....

Quote:
- Games since the Falcons have held an opponent to under 100 rushing yards. Atlanta’s defense began the season very stout against the run, limiting opposing offenses to 78 (at NO), 69 (vs. STL) and 90 yards (at MIA) in their first three games. Since then, the Falcons have given up an average of 154 yards on the ground per game. Against the Bills in Toronto Sunday, the Falcons surrendered 195 yards on the ground.

Roddy White heads upfield after one of his 10 catches against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.10 - Catches for Roddy White Sunday against the Bills, for 143 yards receiving, the 36th 100-yard receiving game of White’s 9-year career.

Pudge, I didn't think Coach Smith out coached anyone Sunday; and I know you want me to blame Smith for his (being outcoached) the last couple of months but his football team was sorry from day one!!

Since you like Stats we haven't been talking much about Atlanta's terrible defense against the run......... HOW DOES A COACH WIN WHEN HIS DEFENSE AVERAGES GIVING UP 154 YARDS A GAME ON THE RUN OVER THE LAST TWO MONTHS??

I really think the reason Coach Smith has been conservative because he knows on long passes Ryan will get sacked...... He could have been out coached but he's kept the team together as he always does. GO to the FALCON WEBSITE and all the players are glowing after beating this sorry ass Buffalo team.....

So If I fired Coach Smith it would be for a terrible preseason and preseason practices where he should have know we needed a lot of changes. That's where your team is developed and the most important part of the season. Its where you set the tone for NOT giving up sacks;
and set the tone for GETTING SACKS & STOPPING THE RUN. Just BECAUSE THE GAMES DON'T COUNT; how your first string play counts; and we knew or should have known we had problems. Not really for losing them all; but for how the first string played in practice and in the exhibition games. Once again those who have played in organized football dread summer camp because its so hard and you can be embarrassed....MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT; FIRST STRING OFFENSIVE TACKLES GO UP AGAINST FIRST STING DEFENSIVE ENDS
AND ALL ACROSS BOTH LINES.

We could have taken cast off veterans and done better. So that's why I would fire him if that was my goal. Jeez did he really think these guys would hold up.... Obviously he and Thomas
D. didn't see a problem; and I put that on the coach not the GM once preseason starts.

In fact I'd love to ask him that question myself; we'd had injuries but so does everybody; how did you take such a terrible team into the season. Once it started we were SCREWED!!

So actually the whole season is on Coach Smith and some ThOMAS D. Vince himself couldn't win with these dogs. All season's are on the coach!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

In summary you should never start with s***. s*** is not going to improve. Its Smith's fault we started with s***; he should have beat the crap out of Thomas D. and told Arthur his 100 million Qb wasn't going to be able to do good; then told Arthur without some upgrades on defense or his billion dollar stadium wouldn't ,matter..... He should have raised such hell that maybe he got fired then!!

REALLY when preseason starts the practices tell you everything..... He didn't know Holmes was out of shape?? I'd s*** can him tomorrow except I DON'T THINK HE'LL EVER MAKE THIS MISTAKE AGAIN!!

Pudge, WHAT YOU DO IN AUGUST IS EVERYTHING; ITS MORE IMPORTANT THAN GAMES BECAUSE WITHOUT A GOOD AUGUST YOUR GOING TO SUCK IN THE GAMES!!

Understand (and I THINK YOU DO) that is August players are not only playing for their jobs; their trying to be starters. Your with them everyday for about 30 days. Your practicing a lot against each other and tackling too.

I don't mind saying their is plenty of cause to fire Coach Smith----the line I've bitched about, the defense giving up yards on the ground; miles on the ground.....

Look Thomas D. got him the players but Coach Smith kept them; he should have been cutting everybody because they we not starting material.

Every season we had one position usually untested or two, corner back and left tackle for half of 5 years. Every year things have just worked out. I don't care what a Gm does; as coach you got to take your best team into the season; then coaching changes and your always preparing for another team.

As a player if you know you'll never be an all pro; but you see your as good or better than those around you; when the losing occurs; the players doubt the team. We played N.O. almost exactly like we played them on opening day; Breeze did not have a good game but our dogs don't even bite.

Please don't underestimate the value of those 30 days together. From their you build a core that can improve week after week. THEY ALL SUCK ---- ITS LIKE 1975 AGAIN. That is on Coach Smith. My belief is that these two will never make this mistake again.

That's worse than any coaching mistake during a game or game planning, and he lives with it because he choose to keep them.

Last edited by Cyril on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:37 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
[Yes, Buffalo gave away that game. Buffalo lost, mores than Atlanta won. No denying that from me, but it doesn't change the fact that despite that the Falcons still had arguably their best offensive game of the season against quality competition.

This is what I've been saying for weeks now, that if the Falcons want to score they have to generate huge chunks of yards. They did that vs. Buffalo, and the prove is in the pudding.

while I admit 'big play-calling' is indeed a factor, it's not the only one. There are a number of other reasons we won that game...Part of it is Buffalo giving us the rock. Another is location. If we had played this game @ Buffalo, they would have beaten us,even giving up the rock..The line was 4 points at Toronto, but it would have been 9 points if played at home, I heard on the pregame show ( BTW had they played here, they would have had the line at +3)..Even with out 'explosive plays;.. They were coming off a bye, and look at who their 'wins' were against. Ravens,Dolphins,Panthers and Bengals. But instead, they had to travel to Toronto. They were rusty, we were coming off a hard fought Saints game. Then they/we had to deal with that crazy ass noise, too. WTF was that 'train whistle' they would blare at random times? Like a 3rd down stop, or a sack. You don't do that! You 'shoot off your cannon' as it were, AFTER YOU SCORE. :roll: Then there was the airhorns, cowbells, and yeas, even veveuzalahs. I was watching at a friends house who had surround sound and I swear it sounded like a goddamned Carnival :lol: :shock:

We took advantage of their mistakes, and their rust/confusion...which is what we have been doing the last two years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

As I've read both arguments, I think both Cyril and Pudge are correct. I don't know that it's one area to blame, rather more of a chicken and egg thing. The one thing that sticks in my mind is how bad this team looked in the preseason. I know the games don't count, but I was already thinking this team is screwed with that OL and DL. The injuries simply compounded the problems and exposed the team's lack of depth. Smitty was both dealt a difficult hand and also didn't get much out of it either. Neither coordinators that we were so excited about last season found ways to overcome the weaknesses. Smitty was therefore stuck wanting to play smart football and make the conservative calls that would normally mean winning but found them backfiring in his face. The more daring/aggressive calls might have won him some games, but it just as well could have put his QB in the hospital with this OL. Ryan made a personal call on that slide too, who can blame him for wanting to make sure he could make the huddle for the next play.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I think this season is a blessing in disguise. We will have high draft picks and some money to spend in order to correct these glaring problems. I think we can draft a solid contributor on either side of the ball with our first two picks and also sign two solid players to retool this team. We might even be in a position to be better suited to our coordinators' philosophies. For example, we could draft Anthony Barr out of UCLA and sign a NT like Soliai or Cody and make a switch to a 3-4 flex defense like what Nolan wants. On offense, we can get a solid prospect in the second round and sign a free agent and quite possibly reverse the fortunes of this OL. With the news that Dirk is looking into the Boise St job again, we might be in the market for an OC, which might give us another new advantage next year. Given the turnover, improvements, getting back to health, and potential scheme changes, we might find ourselves back at the top again and better able to stay there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

jagstang76,

i THINK THAT'S an excellent post!! Hell I know I'm not wrong!! I also agree that the season could be a blessing if Blank doesn't lose his mind!!