It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have you ever felt bad about a win?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I hate to dislike a win, but dang, we were in the drivers seat for Clowney after wins by the Vikings and Jags today! When your season is a complete bust, and you have nothing to play for, why go out and win this game? What is it really serving? It wasn't a division game you win for spite. It wasn't even at the Dome so home fans could at least see a win in person and feel like they got their money worth. Now the Texans are in the drivers seat... although they seem to need a QB pretty bad. I'll never hope for a Falcons loss, but I will look the other way if we have more important things looming in the future.

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Have you ever felt bad about a win?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I feel you bro, I love seeing my team compete and not just go out there and lay down but at the same time the Clowney thing was in the back of my mind/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:09 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

nope

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nope

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I did today, counterproductive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I would have felt better If I felt we had won it; but they fumbled the ball away to keep from winning.

The announcers drove me crazy saying how important this was for Buffalo; and they've won 4 games and we've won 3. The season is over but I don't believe in tanking; but it was not a satisfying win. 6 sacks really bother me. We tried new players for a series and I guess they didn't play well?

Is Konz doing better?? I can't hardly tell when backs get hit 3 yards back in the backfield.

Can't we let A.Smith run the ball more??

A win is a win, but it feels a little different when the team we squeaked by is no good; and the season is over. I won't be talking about this win for long.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I still have no clue how we pulled this game out. We were destroyed in just about every facet of the game, and yet we managed to squeak out a win in OT. Am I upset that we won? Kind of. We deserved to lose today, but we got a couple of very timely turnovers late in the game. If we were competing for a playoff spot, I'd be stoked, but angry with how bad we looked. As it stands, I'm just frustrated with this team. We played like crap and stole a win. A golf clap seems to be in order.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
I did today, counterproductive

Why? If you say because of draft pick, you simply do not understand how the NFL works. No coach or player is going to tank it because they are ALWAYS playing for their jobs.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:29 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree about that, Wease, but I do understand it being described as counter productive in the long haul even though this view is a little simplistic. We sometimes forget that this locker room is made up of real people and you cannot look a Tony Gonzalez in the eye and tell him we are throwing in the towel on the last handful of games he will ever play. The game is too ferocious and emotional to expect anyone to play under those circumstances. Even when we were winning a lot plenty of the wins were like this, i.e., how did we win that one? SF when Clements got stripped by Roddy on an INT return, AZ last year, Bears in 08. An opportunistic D that relies on TOs will help you win games like this but I think we would all prefer a D that just stopped folks for a change.

As to the high draft pick and the desire for Clowney, well, the last DE I recall going right at the top was playing for the Bills yesterday after having been traded by his original team and signing a cap busting contract. While I would love to have a guy like Clowney it is no guarantee on any level. Live for today. Play to win. This is not baseball where you play 162 games a year. But I agree wholeheartedly that it was an ugly win though I am impressed they still have some fight in them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is just a sad thread. Way too many people are disappointed in winning.

http://falcfans.com/takeaways-from-week-13-9522

Pudge wrote:
But thanks to the flag on Robey, and the eventual fumbles by Johnson and Chandler, those aren’t the narratives this week. Instead, we have the happy feelings of seeing the Falcons get another win.

Winning Satisfies Now as Opposed to Later

Expect this image of Jadeveon Clowney to get ample usage by May

I know others may not be so happy, given it puts the Falcons in a slightly more difficult position to get the player of our collective dreams, Jadeveon Clowney, in next May’s draft. The Falcons currently possess the fourth overall pick in the draft thanks to Washington’s Sunday Night loss to the New York Giants. Whether that really affects the Falcons ability to get Clowney is really not for me to say. While I do enjoy mock drafts, when done in December they are more useful for cleaning your backside than accurately projecting the NFL draft five months in advance. But it’s fairly obvious that the higher the Falcons pick the greater the chance they get Clowney.

I personally didn’t expect that a Falcons win on Sunday would really move my needle. Heading into the game, I had gotten so used to losing and frankly in my discontent figured it was too little, too late. But I did in fact go to sleep last night with the warm, fuzzy feeling that usually comes after a Falcons win. And it thus reaffirms my “anti-tanking” resolve. While I may have a much warmer, fuzzier feeling come May if the Falcons do land Clowney, the 2014 draft is a long way off. And in the meantime, I’ll take the guaranteed positive feelings following a Falcons win over something that is by no means a guarantee five months from now. Even if the Falcons do manage to secure the No. 1 pick, there is no guarantee that Clowney will be their selection. One should remember that Da’Quan Bowers and Damontre Moore are two recent examples of players that were considered potential top picks in February before their respective drafts. Thanks to an injury to Bowers and poor workouts by Moore, they fell to the middle of the second and middle of the third, respectively.

Will the same happen to Clowney, the most-lauded defensive end prospect in a decade? Probably not. But the point is that it could happen. As was the case with Bowers and Moore, a lot can happen in the final two months leading up to the draft, let alone five months between now and then. Because we won’t really have a good idea whether or not the Falcons will have a good shot at Clowney until after the Scouting Combine and into March at the earliest, gaining some happiness from a Falcon win or two over the next month appears to be a fair trade-off in my eyes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't know how many are disappointed in winning; I think Roddy reminded us a little of how he moved the chains; but 6 sacks on a Qb can get a guy hurt.

So I was glad we won, but couldn't get excited about it; this season has just been a downer.
If they don't give A. Smith more carries I'll be pissed.... The only thing to get from a season like this is you see guys like our two free agent linebackers; I also love # 13 I like his number better than his name (:

So you must discover new players and get rid of the bad in this kind of season then use your good draft picks wisely and you can be right back in it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:19 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If you recall the 08 draft when we selected Ryan I think it was the two Longs that went before him--one a DE and the other an OT. Top of the pile Long is now on the Rams, isn't he? While top 3 picks are seldom complete busts--even A. Bruce played 11 years in the league--I don't know how many outside of the QB pos will ever impact their team commiserate with what they cost and their inevitable expectations. But Blank needs a marketing tool also and I see Clowney in that light, however, if we were able to trade down for two first round picks it might behoove us to do so. I hear Cleveland loaded up on picks (skyrocket to the SB!!!) off of some loser franchise going after a #5 a while back. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I hear Cleveland loaded up on picks (skyrocket to the SB!!!) off of some loser franchise going after a #5 a while back. :wink:

Dang I bet most don't know what your talking about?? And you give me heck for not loving Eugene Robinson (:

I believe the plan was for Cleveland to pick 25 but the 5-11 record hurt after a Super Bowl experience....... Reeves should have cut Robinson in Miami.......

I mean their's 500,000 beautiful women in Miami and he chooses some undercover cop &
only offers $40.00 for a blow job, he should be arrested just on principal (:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Winning this game could have catastrophic effects on the future of our franchise. TD is going to want to make a splash in the draft and put butts in the seats. Clowney does that, no one else does. This win makes it less likely we will get him without trading. Say we pick 4th or later, I could easily see TD trading this years, first and second, plus next year's 1st round pics to get Clowney. We now have just traded three possible starters for 1, all so we could have the glory of beating Buffalo in an empty stadium in a meaningless game.

Also if you think winning meaningless games can't hurt you, remember we were only 1 player away from Adrian Peterson.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz, I agree with you, but I'm also not sold on us now losing every other game. There is a good chance we can beat Green Bay without Rodgers this weekend, and with RGIII all but done for the year as he's beat silly we could pick that game up as well. When all is said and done I'm thinking we would have missed on Clowney no matter what, so the more I think on it, the more I feel like we might as well have won this stupid Buffalo game :doh:

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 am 
Superstar
Superstar

WEASE and BnB are right!! What coach isn't going to put intense pressure on the team. What Qb doesn't want his line to block for him.......

Their are professionals who want to stay on the team....

Its even stinking thinking to think a team could control winning, besides playing good.

Fans can wish for what they want..... I just want Thomas D. and Coach Smith back.... Almost all good coaches were fired sometime, Lets just consider 5 years is still a learning curve because it is, I like to try to build a great defense !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:36 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The only way you could really play not to win would be to pull MR and most of the other significant starters and, truthfully, this almost borders on fraud for whoever pays to come to the game. The draft is like going to court--you don't ever know how it is going to turn out. So, the Texans seem to be on line to get the #1 pick right now and they really are an interesting comparison to us as--like us--they had high hopes for the year. they had a very similar type QB in Schaub to MR and A Johnson is kind of like JJ. They have fired Kubiak for the train wreck their season is but he has been there longer than Smitty and i note that the GM still seems to be staying. I think this season has surely sobered up Blank, TD and Smith though, frankly, I feel Smitty may have a clearer view than the other two. I hope they don't trade away picks to make a big splash. they need to get back to more patient building. As to Clowney, I know there are variables but going from 13 sacks to 3 is disturbing to me.