It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flipping for the First Pick?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, after the Jags beat the Texans, the Bucs won again and the Vikings tied the Packers, we are now in a three way tie for the first pick in the 2014 draft! :dance: :doh:

Since TD won that famous three way coin flip to get the #3 pick [and Matt Ryan] during his first year as GM, let's hope he can pull the same magic, right? Of course, that might not be necessary as the Texans or Jags might still win a game, which there is no way the Falcons will. :naughty:

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Flipping for the First Pick?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We don't need it, the other two teams will take QB, thus giving us whoever we want, my big fear is we could beat Buffalo and ruin everything :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 am 
Starter
Starter

I think their best chance for victory will be the final game against the Panthers. This assumes carolina will have its playoff seeding locked up and be resting the starters. However, I am not a fan of tanking and hope this team wins a few games.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:53 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The best possible scenario for us is to end up with the #1 pick.

With 2-3 of the other top 5 teams desperately needing QB's, we could ask for the farm and get it without a moments hesitation and STILL get the player we want/need.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans or the Jags take Clowney with their picks as there will be good enough QB's to be had in the 2nd round.

It only takes 1 of the two to decide to take a once-in-a-decade type Defensive End prospect.

That being said the season that Jadeveon Clowney has tuned in this year is worrisome. He's been injured/sicked or seemingly not caring about putting in a full effort. He's had good games but his body of work isn't great this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:18 pm 

Also, due to strength of schedule I don't think there would be an actual coin flip in the event of a regular season record tie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The tie counts as a half-win, so as far as draft position goes, Minnesota is treated like a team with 2.5 wins.

But there's a long time between now and the draft. Remember Minnesota picked up Josh Freeman this year and gave him a 2-yr. deal. They stand to lose both Jared Allen and Kevin Williams this off-season (why they drafted Sharrif Floyd last year). They may decide that with Peterson, Jennings, Patterson, Kalil, that started from scratch with a QB again may not be worth it. Not to mention, I'm not convinced any of the QBs in this draft are definite upgrades over Freeman. Unless I'm convinced Teddy Bridgewater is a sure-fire franchise QB (and I can tell you guys like Mariota/Manziel are not), then I'll take Clowney #1 if possible and try to pick up someone like Tajh Boyd or Derek Carr in Round 2. Basically the AJ Green/ANdy Dalton strategy.

Also factor in that there is an offseason to behold. A year ago at this time, we knew KC would take a QB. But given the draft class, and they traded for Alex Smith at the start of FA and then the idea that Geno Smith (or another QB) would go #1 went out the window.

Michael Vick, and Matt Schaub are probably going to change teams. The QB situations in Pittsburgh, Oakland, and St. Louis are worth monitoring too. Maybe Chip Kelly wants Mariota, and also puts Nick Foles on the block?

We can be very confident that Jacksonville will take a QB with their top pick cuz they have a new GM and coach. But Minnesota has indicated that Leslie Frazier will be back, which makes it less likely they will go QB with his job on the line. Houston, nobody knows what Gary Kubiak's status will be this year, but his health issues might ultimately give him a pass. And is he going to want to bring in a new QB? The only reason the Jets brought in Geno with Rex being a lame duck was cuz they got a new GM. I doubt Spielman or Rick Smith get fired in their respective cities.

And with the way Glennon is playing, I don't think TB will be quick to move on, if/when Clowney is available. Remember, the only thing really missing from their D is an edge pass rush.

Just don't count your Clowney ducks before they hatch.

Profile E-mail