It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4259
So let's say that we finish 2-14 and Arthur decides that there are no sacred cows, so he decides to move on from Mike Smith or Thomas Dimitroff. Who does he let go of, and why? Please do not say both or neither. You are welcome to post your personal pros and cons if you'd like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25937
Location: North Carolina
Smith is definitely gone before Dimitroff. He'll likely need Dimitroff to hire the next head coach.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Posts: 2393
Location: Albany NY
Yikes, if we loose TD first we may have Rich Mckay choosing the next coach :hand:

_________________
When life gives you lemons, find some salt and tequila then invite me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1152
Location: San Diego, CA
Smitty would be the one to go. If we are lucky maybe Arthur does what he needs to do and cuts ties with Dimitroff for leading him into being a laughing stock at the owners meetings. Dimitroff has only fixed one problem we had when he took over as GM and thats stabalizing us at the QB position. Their are countless other holes (pass rush, secondary, LBs now add running game and pass pro to the list) that have been problems and continue to plague the Falcons since 2008.

I like Smitty I really do I believe that he is a good coach but the way the team is built (around the passing game and all about offense) does not suit his coaching style. If he were the coach of the 49ers or Seahawks he could probably win a SB this year but having to win shootouts and make decisions when you team is constructed like this is just not his cup of tea. I mean the places he had expierience that allowed him to become the coach he is (Jacksonville & Baltimore) have been teams that played bully ball and only wanted to run it and play defense with the occasional play in the passing game. Thats why I think Mike Smith should go he just isnt wired to put the right plays in that will put an offense dependent on the pass in the right situation. I think that personnel was really his downfall, but as HC if you are not getting what you need you need to make it known and not sit back, shut up and let it happen.

Now on to Dimitroff. He hired Mike Smith so he knew his scheme and philosophies, yet forced him to shift towards being a pass first offense and knowing that his forte was playing zone defense with a physical front seven neglected to acquire playmakers in the front seven to make it happen. He just didnt acquire the talent to make what his HC's scheme work and in my opinion that is inexcusable. Is there any wonder that our playoff losses continued to get worse and worse every year I dont think its a coincidence the further we got away from what Smith is comfortable doing the more we got out coached and out played. I think that the Falcons winning as many games as they have is a testiment to how good a coach Mike Smith since he was able to somewhat adapt but Dimitroff definitely did him a disservice by not building a team meshed well with the HC he selected.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 487
Location: Vacaville, CA
You do realize that they were 13-3 and in the nfccg last year, right? With the total opposite of what you say Smith is best prepared for?

neither of them is going anywhere, though they would do well to get back to the process instead of trying to win one for tony.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1152
Location: San Diego, CA
samedi wrote:
You do realize that they were 13-3 and in the nfccg last year, right? With the total opposite of what you say Smith is best prepared for?

neither of them is going anywhere, though they would do well to get back to the process instead of trying to win one for tony.


I realize that we were 13-3 last year against a weak schedule and won 4 games that we shouldnt have won but due to either clinging to a lead late or clawing back into a game that if we had a coach who wasnt so conservative would have won by two scores.

Again I dont think he is a bad coach I just dont think this is the brand of football that Smith is best at coaching. Would Mike Martz be effective coaching an offense built around the run? Would Marty Schottenheimer be at his best coaching the 2010 Packers? The aforementioned coahces know football but would they be at their best coaching teams built like that?

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
Offline
Playmaker
Playmaker
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:46 am
Posts: 487
Location: Vacaville, CA
Would Mike Smith be most effective coaching an offense? He is a defensive coordinator . . .

Atlanta is not bad because the head coach doesn't mesh with the offensive philosophy. Atlanta is bad because they are the poster child for why extended time off is bad for football players (soft-tissue injuries) and because their strong record the last few years belies their serious personnel issues.

When TD traded for JJ, he (not MS) made the decision that improving one position of 22 a great amount was more important than improving several positions to a lesser extent. As long as JJ is playing, it's a good decision because he is a game-changer. However, losing him is obviously losing 100%, whereas losing Torrey Smith but still having the guard we drafted in the 2nd would be a 50-60% loss in the same situation (no, not f**** Carimi, Pudge).

To compound that, TD has struggled in his non-guaranteed draft choices; the depth really isn't there, so injuries take a greater toll. The offensive scheme isn't the real culprit, the horrific line play is. ATL hasn't really "replaced" a departing lineman since Blalock came on board. Some of this is bad drafting, a lot of it really bad FA choices (TD=Frank Wren), and, in small part, MS probably being a bit too loyal to his players.

Out of these errors, the team went 11-5 following the MVD, has won every year but this, and starts the year with the idea that they have a shot at winning it all. Again, just sayin'.

At some point, ATL's philosophy embraced the notion that ST "starters" are more important than o/d backups. Kevin Cone and Antone Smith have practically no offensive value, but they take up roster slots. Four picks have been disintegrated in the last few years taking safeties than are unsafe to play on D. Four. I don't think Mike Smith said "Screw the outlier talent! Let's draft for guys that will never start on any team!" Did he go along with TD's strategy? Probably. TD is pretty damn smart. Do we fire him for this? 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, 13-3.

TG and SJ were not great call for this year. There's too much of a "win now at the expense of next year" mentality about their shelf lives vs their contracts; especially in the light of removing the S&C coach in a year where there was going to be a lot of upheaval in conditioning. Even more of an argument against scapegoating (NFCCG 2nd half=JF's firing), but someone is going to get the axe this year, because that's what folks do. It will likely be a line coach, though Holmes may be saving Hill's bacon as we speak. TG already is gone, and SJ very well may follow.

Now, seeing all of this and knowing that you'll have some great draft picks to work with next year to adapt the philosophy to the raw materials or vice versa, and you want to toss the proven, reliable, award-winning head of that organization to take a flier on some guy that may or may not find a better way to spend Vern's six cents? (Stand By Me; also my thoughts of the talents of a lot of ATL's young linemen on both sides of the ball)

Look: next year will be better. The draft choices' talent level will be better. The year after that will be better: a few onerous contracts full of dead money should be disappearing, and perhaps the settlement-detached individual that I paid five buck to under that overpass will finally make it to ATL and convince Baker to take the cloth. Then, the starting RT that we drafted that year (next year is still Baker, dammit) will take over and things will be looking up.

Or TD makes a few lousy picks and even worse FA decisions, and this thread is summed up as "Both."

I don't disagree with your opinion that--to a small extent--MS isn't the perfect choice of coach for this offense. However, it's a piece of the puzzle, and--I believe--a really small part of the collapse of this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1152
Location: San Diego, CA
samedi wrote:
Would Mike Smith be most effective coaching an offense? He is a defensive coordinator . . .

Atlanta is not bad because the head coach doesn't mesh with the offensive philosophy. Atlanta is bad because they are the poster child for why extended time off is bad for football players (soft-tissue injuries) and because their strong record the last few years belies their serious personnel issues.


Atlanta is not good because of injuries but Atlanta is horrible because the personnel and the offensive philosophy does not mesh well. Not to mention that the 2009 season there were a lot of injuries and the Falcons didnt look this bad.

Quote:
When TD traded for JJ, he (not MS) made the decision that improving one position of 22 a great amount was more important than improving several positions to a lesser extent. As long as JJ is playing, it's a good decision because he is a game-changer. However, losing him is obviously losing 100%, whereas losing Torrey Smith but still having the guard we drafted in the 2nd would be a 50-60% loss in the same situation (no, not f**** Carimi, Pudge).

To compound that, TD has struggled in his non-guaranteed draft choices; the depth really isn't there, so injuries take a greater toll. The offensive scheme isn't the real culprit, the horrific line play is. ATL hasn't really "replaced" a departing lineman since Blalock came on board. Some of this is bad drafting, a lot of it really bad FA choices (TD=Frank Wren), and, in small part, MS probably being a bit too loyal to his players.

Out of these errors, the team went 11-5 following the MVD, has won every year but this, and starts the year with the idea that they have a shot at winning it all. Again, just sayin'.


Yes he has been very successful but that success has not seemed to shine through when it matters most in Playoff games, games versus the Saints or against the Alpha Dog teams of the NFL.

Quote:
At some point, ATL's philosophy embraced the notion that ST "starters" are more important than o/d backups. Kevin Cone and Antone Smith have practically no offensive value, but they take up roster slots. Four picks have been disintegrated in the last few years taking safeties than are unsafe to play on D. Four. I don't think Mike Smith said "Screw the outlier talent! Let's draft for guys that will never start on any team!" Did he go along with TD's strategy? Probably. TD is pretty damn smart. Do we fire him for this? 11-5, 9-7, 13-3, 10-6, 13-3.


No if they fire TD and/or Mike Smith it will be for this: 30-24 L, 48-21 L, 24-2 L, 30-28 L, combined with a season where you might not win more than 2-4 games.

Quote:
TG and SJ were not great call for this year. There's too much of a "win now at the expense of next year" mentality about their shelf lives vs their contracts; especially in the light of removing the S&C coach in a year where there was going to be a lot of upheaval in conditioning. Even more of an argument against scapegoating (NFCCG 2nd half=JF's firing), but someone is going to get the axe this year, because that's what folks do. It will likely be a line coach, though Holmes may be saving Hill's bacon as we speak. TG already is gone, and SJ very well may follow.

Now, seeing all of this and knowing that you'll have some great draft picks to work with next year to adapt the philosophy to the raw materials or vice versa, and you want to toss the proven, reliable, award-winning head of that organization to take a flier on some guy that may or may not find a better way to spend Vern's six cents? (Stand By Me; also my thoughts of the talents of a lot of ATL's young linemen on both sides of the ball)

Look: next year will be better. The draft choices' talent level will be better. The year after that will be better: a few onerous contracts full of dead money should be disappearing, and perhaps the settlement-detached individual that I paid five buck to under that overpass will finally make it to ATL and convince Baker to take the cloth. Then, the starting RT that we drafted that year (next year is still Baker, dammit) will take over and things will be looking up.

Or TD makes a few lousy picks and even worse FA decisions, and this thread is summed up as "Both."

I don't disagree with your opinion that--to a small extent--MS isn't the perfect choice of coach for this offense. However, it's a piece of the puzzle, and--I believe--a really small part of the collapse of this season.


I dont blame this entire season on MS at all its just that the really good HCs in this league (the ones who deserve a pass for a horrible season like this one) find a way to make their players play above their heads and that isnt happening with this group.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4992
Nolan leaves, Smith says 'our problems were primarily defensive-related', Arthur says 'okay, one more chance m-fer'.

Then if we struggle next year Blank cleans house. :ninja:

Im enjoying the turnaround. One game in, and even the mere thought of firing anyone was blasphemy, and now were drawing straws :lol: 8-)

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4259
Not necessarily Fun Gus. I posed the question, and some of these folks were gracious enough to answer it. That doesn't mean that they think that either of these guys should be fired.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25937
Location: North Carolina
I don't buy the idea that Smitty is a bad fit for the offense. Is Belichick a bad fit for the Patriots offense of the past 8 years because he was in New York and Cleveland on teams that were run/defensive-oriented?

Those former teams that Smitty coached on were run/defensive-oriented because they didn't have good QBs. Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Jeff Blake, David Garrard, and Byron Leftwich were the QBs the Ravens and Jaguars had over those 9 seasons Smitty spent there before joining the Falcons. You build your team around its strengths. If you have a good QB, then you throw the ball. If you have a good RB, then you run the ball. In this day and age, trying to win in the manner that the Ravens and Jaguars did is pretty foolhardy, especially if you have a good QB. Should the Falcons dial it back a bit? Sure, but they won't be able to do that until they improve their running game and defense. Will they have to do those things in the upcoming years? Yes, because they will be losing players like White, Gonzo, Babs, Abe, Asante, etc.

Contrary to popular opinion, IMO the offensive line isn't significantly worse than it was a year ago. The issue is in 2012, the play of the QB and the WRs was among the best in the league and masked the fact that they couldn't run the ball or adequately protect the QB.

And I'm not convinced the defense is worse than it was last year, but without playing with a lead and generating the timely turnovers they had last year, they look much worse.

But this isn't news. There are threads from 6+ months ago where we're debating the talent level of this team. e.g. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18073

My beef really is all about how bad this team has become. The idea that this team would take a significant step back by losing that potent passing game is a no-brainer. But I never suspected the Falcons would become this bad just by taking Julio & ROddy away. But even if I had suspicion that the Falcons offense would take this big a step back, my other beef is that the powers that be in Atlanta were perfectly oblivious to it. Embodied in their signing of Brian Robiskie, and the suggesting that things would be A-OK.

It's really about the cliff that the Falcons offense has fallen off over the past month that really has Smitty's seat warm. I thought they would be a middling, not bottom-rung.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4992
RobertAP wrote:
Not necessarily Fun Gus. I posed the question, and some of these folks were gracious enough to answer it. That doesn't mean that they think that either of these guys should be fired.



I get it..I dont think Arthur gets rid of either, because A: Nolan will leave on his own accord, and B: the only other option out there is Gruden, and as Pudge pointed out, Blank would have to can McKay for that to happen...

So the only reasonable sacrificial cows will be Nolan, Pat Hill and the S and C coach... :ninja:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
Quote:
Dimitroff has only fixed one problem we had when he took over as GM and thats stabalizing us at the QB position. Their are countless other holes (pass rush, secondary, LBs now add running game and pass pro to the list) that have been problems and continue to plague the Falcons since 2008.


That's Bs...... He took us from a team that didn't have two winning season's in a row IN 65 YEARS to 5 STRAIGHT WINNING SEASON'S. How can you do that without improvements.??

ARTHUR IS not football smart and he'll probably fire Smith. A big move will bring more losing and a lot of bad things.

People always talk about what Arthur has done for this franchise, Lets see; we've had one coach say on radio he would leave today for a college team in the middle of a season. SO WE LOST mORA.

ARTHUR TRUSTED VICK who literally robbed him of millions; and Atlanta was the joke of the league.

And Finally had Petrino leave in the middle of the season to go to Arkansas.

And Thankfully had someone get Thomas D. while Arthur was stranded in the dessert with his 10 man search. (A ten man search by Arthur; what a f**** riot.

Now we'll see how he does with PLSs.

If Arthur stays with the status quo we;ll go back to winning; if not we'll be losing again for years.....

This stuff happens to many teams once in 6 years. Look I said 6-10 and that's about what it was going to be; without all the injuries. The super Ball stuff was stupid.

I've seen this year after year; just go check the records of all new coaches In Falcon history;
and you'll know I know what I'm talking about. JUST GO BACK AND LOOK HOW WE'VE DONE AFTER FIRING ABOUT 9 DIFFERENT COACHES.

Pudge would you please do that, to raise the education level here about what happens generally; when you bring in a new staff.
My guess is Thomas D. doesn't stay if Smith is let go and they 'll both be the first people picked up.

How about all you folks who said this was a SuperBOWL YEAR; please just sign your name
in the next post.... YOU DON'T GO TO A SUPER BOWL WITH 3 UNPROVEN 0-LINEMAN; 3 UNPROVEN LINEBACKERS; AND 2 ROOKIE CORNERS..... iT FEELS STUPID SAYING THIS STUFF!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4259
Cyril wrote:
YOU DON'T GO TO A SUPER BOWL WITH 3 UNPROVEN 0-LINEMAN; 3 UNPROVEN LINEBACKERS; AND 2 ROOKIE CORNERS..... iT FEELS STUPID SAYING THIS STUFF!!

Why are we in that situation? I kind of agree with staying the course, but also think that good is the enemy of great. Mike Smith is a good head coach. If he's given the proper talent, I think that he can win the Superbowl. However, Thomas Dimitroff hasn't given him that. Thomas Dimitroff has built a team that goes against Smith's football philosophy, which is ball control offense and a defense that prides itself on stopping the run. He also preaches mistake free football. If anything, Smith is a proponent of the KISS principal.

Dimitroff has built, a weak offensive front, a bunch of passing game weapons, and has provided aging RBs to carry the load.

On defense, Dimitroff has acquired a wide variety of situational talent. He has also missed pretty hard on several 1st-3rd round defensive picks. Aside from this past draft, Spoon, and Moore, most of Dimitroff's defensive moves have been bad ones.

This might come as a bit of a shock, but if I had to pick for one of these guys to go, it would be Dimitroff. Dimitroff is responsible for the talent that we have (or don't have) on the field. He has been the one who has allowed our offensive line to rot into garbage. He's the one who has failed to acquire good talent for the defensive side of the ball. Most importantly, he's the one who has failed to build the team that fits our coach's style of play. I've been saying for a while that our front office is going in opposite directions, and when it comes down to it, that's on the GM. (Perhaps it's on Arthur Blank, but he's obviously not going anywhere)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:07 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
I don't know what " good is the enemy of great means".?? When I say this happens to most teams every 6 years or so its not usually open positions and then having so many injuries.

We are accomplishing some of what you want during one of these years. We see we have a free agent Middle linebacker that seems as good as a #2 pick.

Watching Antone Smith today made me think we may have found a fast running back who's
future is unlimited.

The thing is if Arthur will let both Coach & Gm stay I think you'll see a new direction with the
main direction defense. Its not that hard to find some linemen to hold you up for awhile.

Defense is harder to get those players but I'm sold on our rookie corners who need more time; and some very good defensive linemen. Its like starting over but if you think about it; we're starting over with a heck of a lot better players.

Thomas D. has to be responsible for our lack of depth; which came from not having enough draft picks work out from 3-7. Yet its like giving him 5 years of experience then giving another team that experience.

I just don't want Arthur making a change to try to create new excitement for his new stadium. The same people who were mad in week 6 get madder & madder with a close to lynch mob mentally.

5 winning season's in a row is a huge difference for this franchise; call it a new start and I bet we get 5 more winning season's and perhaps a Super Bowl!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:21 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6208
Location: Planet Claire
Good is the enemy of great is Blankspeak from the presser after losing to NYGs in playoffs where he drug Smitty and TD out with dunce caps and paddled their bottom in front of the press. Here's another one I read recently: Perfection is the enemy of good. It means sometimes seeking perfection you ruin what is already good.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:47 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm
Posts: 1152
Location: San Diego, CA
Cyril wrote:
Quote:
Dimitroff has only fixed one problem we had when he took over as GM and thats stabalizing us at the QB position. Their are countless other holes (pass rush, secondary, LBs now add running game and pass pro to the list) that have been problems and continue to plague the Falcons since 2008.


That's Bs...... He took us from a team that didn't have two winning season's in a row IN 65 YEARS to 5 STRAIGHT WINNING SEASON'S. How can you do that without improvements.??

ARTHUR IS not football smart and he'll probably fire Smith. A big move will bring more losing and a lot of bad things.

People always talk about what Arthur has done for this franchise, Lets see; we've had one coach say on radio he would leave today for a college team in the middle of a season. SO WE LOST mORA.

ARTHUR TRUSTED VICK who literally robbed him of millions; and Atlanta was the joke of the league.

And Finally had Petrino leave in the middle of the season to go to Arkansas.

And Thankfully had someone get Thomas D. while Arthur was stranded in the dessert with his 10 man search. (A ten man search by Arthur; what a f**** riot.

Now we'll see how he does with PLSs.

If Arthur stays with the status quo we;ll go back to winning; if not we'll be losing again for years.....

This stuff happens to many teams once in 6 years. Look I said 6-10 and that's about what it was going to be; without all the injuries. The super Ball stuff was stupid.

I've seen this year after year; just go check the records of all new coaches In Falcon history;
and you'll know I know what I'm talking about. JUST GO BACK AND LOOK HOW WE'VE DONE AFTER FIRING ABOUT 9 DIFFERENT COACHES.

Pudge would you please do that, to raise the education level here about what happens generally; when you bring in a new staff.
My guess is Thomas D. doesn't stay if Smith is let go and they 'll both be the first people picked up.

How about all you folks who said this was a SuperBOWL YEAR; please just sign your name
in the next post.... YOU DON'T GO TO A SUPER BOWL WITH 3 UNPROVEN 0-LINEMAN; 3 UNPROVEN LINEBACKERS; AND 2 ROOKIE CORNERS..... iT FEELS STUPID SAYING THIS STUFF!!

the only reason we were able to break that streak was because he stabilized the QB position. I respect your opinion but the tape doesn't lie, the same reasons the Falcons lost to the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 is the same reason they lost to the Packers, Giants, Niners, and why they are bad now. No pass rush, shoddy secondary, and weak LB play.

_________________
The Young Gunner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:16 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4259
Cyril wrote:
Watching Antone Smith today made me think we may have found a fast running back who's future is unlimited.

Don't get too excited. It was sure nice to see him do that, but it was against the Tampa Bay 2nd stringers.

Quote:
Thomas D. has to be responsible for our lack of depth; which came from not having enough draft picks work out from 3-7. Yet its like giving him 5 years of experience then giving another team that experience.

I'm ok with giving him one more year. As we have all stated, this draft appears to have been a pretty good one.

Quote:
I just don't want Arthur making a change to try to create new excitement for his new stadium. The same people who were mad in week 6 get madder & madder with a close to lynch mob mentally.

I've actually been getting less and less mad. At this point I'm not really upset at all. I'm looking forward to a top three draft pick. TD has done pretty well with those high picks, so I anticipate him doing well this time. Hopefully he can find some more UDFA or low round gems this year.

And there's one question that's impossible to answer regarding this discussion... Did TD make drafting mistakes, or did the coaching staff fail to develop the talent?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25937
Location: North Carolina
Cyril wrote:
This stuff happens to many teams once in 6 years. Look I said 6-10 and that's about what it was going to be; without all the injuries. The super Ball stuff was stupid.

I've seen this year after year; just go check the records of all new coaches In Falcon history;
and you'll know I know what I'm talking about. JUST GO BACK AND LOOK HOW WE'VE DONE AFTER FIRING ABOUT 9 DIFFERENT COACHES.

Pudge would you please do that, to raise the education level here about what happens generally; when you bring in a new staff.
My guess is Thomas D. doesn't stay if Smith is let go and they 'll both be the first people picked up.

Sorry Cyril, I can't do that. I can't say that what has occurred in Atlanta happens every 6 years or so.

Yes, typically teams go up and down. But teams don't go as far down as the Falcons, where they go from one of the better teams in the league (like Top 8) to being the worst team in the league without an injury to their starting QB.

But you're right, if Blank starts firing people, then chaos could ensue. Or it could be improvement. But as I've said numerous times in the past few weeks, if Smitty is trying to save his job, then he's doing the worst possible job of doing it.

We saw on Sunday how a team plays with their backs against the wall, and it came from the Bucs. The Falcons were the polar opposite of that. It's next to impossible to defend Smitty at this point. The only way you can do that is by completely ignoring the present, and focusing on the past. It's like someone that is still arguing that Carson Palmer is an elite QB because of what he did 7 years ago, ignoring what he's done the past 3 years.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4504
Location: Vancouver, WA
I think at the end of the day both Smith & Dimitroff get 1 more season as they will get saved by the "injury bug." It appears this morning Mr. Blank came out with a statement of support for his leadership team on the Falcons:

http://blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2013/11 ... dimitroff/

More Specifically:

“I do, yeah,” Blank said when asked if he had confidence in his team leaders, “and they’ve earned it in the last five years. This is a tough business. We’ve had a lot of injuries and there have been a lot of other issues on top of the injuries, and that’s pretty obvious, but these guys are proven leaders and proven by success and proven by their records. They speak for themselves.

“They’ll do the work that has to be done with my full support.”

Either Blank is "going through the motions" or he is indeed giving Dimitroff & Smith a pass due to injuries and trading on their historical track record.

_________________
Fear the BEARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4259
The only thing that I'm seriously worried about with this front office at this point is the trust of the players... It sure looks like we're throwing in the towel for this season. (there have even been signs of this back into pre-season) Are the players going to trust this staff after throwing in the towel?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25937
Location: North Carolina
Blank can say whatever he wants on November 18. It's all about what happens on December 30, which is "Black Monday" when coaches get fired. A lot can happen/change in the next 42 days.

And if/when the Falcons are 2-14 or 3-13, it's going to much harder for Blank to echo those statements then.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
Quote:

Yes he has been very successful but that success has not seemed to shine through when it matters most in Playoff games, games versus the Saints or against the Alpha Dog teams of the NFL.


You see I've been saying for years that the season counts as much as the playoffs. Now this year we won't be in the playoffs; no chance to make a run, so I hope folks will remember this season as one that we didn't EARN the rights to the playoffs; we're out of it at the end of October and that sucks.

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:29 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4581
Quote:

the only reason we were able to break that streak was because he stabilized the QB position. I respect your opinion but the tape doesn't lie, the same reasons the Falcons lost to the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 is the same reason they lost to the Packers, Giants, Niners, and why they are bad now. No pass rush, shoddy secondary, and weak LB play


Assuming you are right, then how big was choosing Ryan when 50% here wanted Dorsey?

Then our running game the first four years; he stabilzed that in a big way; taking pressure off of a young Ryan. What a great free agent pick-up.

HOW CAN YOU LEAVE THE RUNNING GAME HE HELPED DEVELOP OUT??

When a coach leaves you in mid season it takes a lot to get some of the veterans to trust again. Getting Turner was as big as getting Ryan; and giving a #2 for Tony G. was a big deal.

Sorry but Ryan can't win 70% of the games by himself; the franchise was in total disarray,
and I can't believe Matt Ryan is the only thing T.D. did right!! We go 13-3 and go to the Championship game only because of Matt Ryan?? Come on, to go to the Championship game you really need a team.

Sure we won some games like we lost last night but that's what good team's do!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which one does Arthur Blank get rid of?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:25 pm
Posts: 244
I wonder what happens to Koetter. I don't know how much of a difference it would make to switch coordinators, but his playcalling this season has been a bit mediocre. I understand the injury to Julio Jones and the less than 100% Roddy White, but he's been very predictable this year IMO.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: