It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roddy Done?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Lost in the other 1000 things that have gone wrong this year, WR Roddy White has gone from a number 1 receiver to a number 3 receiver. This has been blamed on his high ankle sprain, but one has to wonder if that is really the case or if he's washed up. He's totaled a pathetic 185 yards in 7 games played this year and is 32 years old, an age where many of receivers have dropped off. I hope I'm wrong, but I think our days of seeing 2 #1 wide receivers are over. At best I think we can hope he can be a competent #2 possession receiver next year, if not he's career is probably over. Might not be a bad idea for the Falcons to use a 4th or 5th round pick on a WR with physical skill this year to try and develop for the future.

Post subject: Re: Roddy Done?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Roddy will be good next year. He's not been fast for years but out muscle's
corners. No he's far from done!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I've been saying it for months, but I think the plan should be to get another big, tall, vertical threat on the outside to put across from Julio, thus when Julio is drawing coverages away from guys, then we still have a guy that can win that 1 on 1 matchup on the outside. My vote would be Danario Alexander, but he also has problems staying healthy. Or find a guy in the 2nd/3rd round, which is typically when those types of WRs get drafted. Josh Gordon may still be available via trade as well, and he definitely fits this bill.

But then, we put Roddy in the slot, where he was very effective last year. I do blame injuries for his lack of production, but let's say you're right Dave and Roddy is just a complementary #2 guy. He'd be so much more effective as a slot receiver than on the outside because he'll typically be facing weaker corners and his route-running and toughness won't diminish (although his speed and burst may have) and thus he could be a very good weapon working the middle of the field. This is what the Steelers and Packers did to get the last few drops of production out of Hines Ward and Donald Driver at the end, and I think it's reasonable to think that Roddy could probably have 2-4 more productive years as a slot WR.

And I'd probably approach Roddy about extending his contract 1 more year this off-season, thus lowering his cap hit (and giving us more $$$ to spend in FA this off-season), but also giving us a bit more leeway in terms of finding Roddy's long-term replacement (an extra year).

As I've said before if 2014 is the final year of Roddy's contract, then the Falcons need to find his replacement next year, esp. if it's a draft pick because rookie WRs need a "redshirt" year more often than not, unless they are Top 15 picks, and I think the last thing any of us want to see is the Falcons using another #1 pick on a WR.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm 

I don't think that Roddy is done yet. He's certainly not the player that he used to be; but don't underestimate how much something like a high ankle sprain hamper a receiver. Hasn't he also had hammy issues this year as well?

That being said... Unless Atlanta has a miracle turn around Roddy is of no value to this franchise anymore as his days are numbered and this team isn't going to compete for a long time at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Unless Atlanta has a miracle turn around Roddy is of no value to this franchise anymore as his days are numbered and this team isn't going to compete for a long time at this point.

No only if everyone is fired. We competed pretty well in Smith's first year and we had a raw Ryan and no Julio. It can turn back as quick as it turned away----ask Kansas City!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Even though I think he's a nitwit, I hope that Roddy finishes up his career here. It is possible that this year is an anomaly for him, but if his play continues this way for the rest of the year, I'd work out a twilight deal for him to finish up here. If he's unwilling to take such a deal at a hometown discount, then I would let him walk. Douglas and Johnson seem to be doing just fine. It sure would be nice to have another deep threat on the team, and I could easily see us finding such a player in the 3rd or 4th rounds. We don't need a pair of #1's, we just need some folks who can run routes and catch balls. More importantly, we need an offensive line that will give the QB enough time to make some throws and not end up on his back every down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:24 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
. We don't need a pair of #1's, we just need some folks who can run routes and catch balls. More importantly, we need an offensive line that will give the QB enough time to make some throws and not end up on his back every down.

this!

Why do we 'need' 2 #1 WR's? I think we can get by with Julio, HD and Darius Johnson + Tony's replacement. We should be more worried about replacing Tony then Roddy. I would not ask him to sign a two year deal, I would franchise tag him, and if he comes back next year and balls out, then we can deal with that in 2015. If he stinks like this year, we can cut him.

Julio came her and made an immediate impact. Roddy came here and stunk until Joe Horn arrived and got his Mama involved..

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

WF says we take Jake Matthews...While I wouldn't be averse to this, if we fall even further, and actually end up with the #3 pick ( I think the Bucs and the Texans have one more win left in them) why not trade down further in the first round? We could get #2 picks in the first round and now, Im thinking a #3. we could pick up Jordan Matthews ( WR, Vandy) or I would snag Jarvis Landry from LSU in the third. Coupled with Tony's replacement, and what we have, that might work. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:47 pm 

Except Roddy is no longer a "#1" on any teams depth chart. Anymore (ignoring injuries this year and considering him healthy) Roddy is a complimentary receiver a #2 at best that can punish teams on the short and medium routes.

At this stage of his career Roddy is the absolutely perfect compliment to Julio Jones. Julio is a field stretcher that demands double teams. Meanwhile, Roddy is that short to mid range route runner that can create mismatches over the middle of the field. He isn't going to burn defenses but he can take advantage of a team moving a safety to double Julio or get a mismatch with a linebacker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wasn't really referring to Roddy being a #1. I was referring to the idea of drafting or acquiring a new #1 to take Roddy's place. I don't think that's necessary. That said, I think it would be a huge mistake to go forward without picking up someone that can stretch the field if Julio were to go down again.

This is a bit off topic, but isn't it ironic that we've gone from Mike Mularkey, who had no screens in his playbook, to Dirk Koetter, who seems to predicate his passing offense on the screen.