It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25774
Location: North Carolina
If I'm driving in the morning and get pulled over for a speeding ticket, it messes up my day. I'm sure getting arrested for possession, bond, lawyers, and all that jazz within 36 hours of traveling to Florida could mess with a guy's head, especially someone like Snelling who seems to be a pretty stand-up guy and probably has never had a few run-ins with the law. I know if I was in his shoes, it might mess with me a little.

That's a legit personal issue.

Really, we're going to use the "Brett Favre Standard" as the method upon which all football players are going to be measured?

Who gives a s***? The Falcons have like 7 other RBs on the roster. Don't act like they needed him or anything. But that doesn't even matter. It's Grimes all over again.

Jason Snelling has busted his ass for 6 years with this team. He's played FB, TE, WR, RB, special teams. Hell he'd probably even play Qb if they asked him to. He's busted his ass for 6 years, but now because he gets arrested and misses 1 game, he's not a team-first guy.

Same thing with Grimes, an undrafted guy from a Division 2 school, gets cut, then gets re-signed, goes to Europe to play int he spring, then busts his ass to land on the practice squad, goes out and busts his ass to earn a starting job over a bunch of FA signings with the 3rd coaching staff he's had in 3 years (not counting the 2 coaching staffs he played under in Europe), gets benched and is inactive for the last month of the season, then he beats out 2 "up and comers" in Owens and Jackson, then the team signs Brian Williams, and he manages to outproduce them all, then they sign a guy to a $50 million contract, and he proceeds to stink for the better part of 3 years, and he outplays and produces him. And then in 2011 he gets injured, has surgery and comes back 2 weeks early to play in the biggest regular season game of the season, gets reinjured and then because doctors don't clear him the morning of the game, he now is a selfish P.O.S. that doesn't have heart because folks like you fun gus have reading comprehension problems.

In both cases, you have 6 years of a body of work where a guy is busting his ass, and you let one MINOR BS incident occur over a weekend and that's what you're going to judge him by.

:roll:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
Pudge wrote:
If I'm driving in the morning and get pulled over for a speeding ticket, it messes up my day. I'm sure getting arrested for possession, bond, lawyers, and all that jazz within 36 hours of traveling to Florida could mess with a guy's head, especially someone like Snelling who seems to be a pretty stand-up guy and probably has never had a few run-ins with the law. I know if I was in his shoes, it might mess with me a little.

That's a legit personal issue.

:



No, its not. Like I said, there's 'fans'...and 'fanboys'. You obviously fall into the latter category.

If you get pulled over, and it 'messes' up your 'day', do you skip work? And, is your boss going to be cool with that? If so, then that's cool and all, but I doubt your evenr going to be that regional manager at the Boston Market :wink:

This is not the Mora-led Falcons. Okay? The entire philosophy of this team is putting the team first. And that goes for EVERYONE on the team, including Matt Ryan. If the team asks Matt to do something, and he does not because he is selfish, then f*ck him too.

There has been no bigger fan of Snelling then me. But, if his 'job' is 'so stressful' that he just cant seem to make some common sense decisions and now he is missing games, my pity well has run dry.

Look, lets say a Falcons player's wife is pregnant and going to have a baby. That's a 'legit' reason to miss a game. Do you know how many NFL players were NOT there for the birth of thier child because they were playing? Like, I don't know, Joe Flacco?

there are plenty of 'legit' reasons to miss a game. Your wife or parents are desperately sick. Childbirth. But 'reflecting' on getting high does not count in my world.

:snooty:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3094
Quote:
This is not the Mora-led Falcons. Okay? The entire philosophy of this team is putting the team first. And that goes for EVERYONE on the team, including Matt Ryan. If the team asks Matt to do something, and he does not because he is selfish, then f*ck him too.


Matt Ryan isn't Vick. I think we can all agree he isn't close to be a selfish player.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6149
Location: Planet Claire
Pudge, Snelling has been paid well to bust his ass for the team. It's what pro football players do all in the hopes that 16 Sundays a year it will pay off. Missing practice is won thing. Missing a gig is another. And I know for one because I say I was disappointed in the guy that doesn't get anywhere close to saying he is a POS. Did they need him to lose by double digits to TB? Would he have made a difference? Truthfully, this makes no difference whatsoever and is completely beside the point. If the answer to the questions is no then why not just cut him? The point to me is that if I have screwed up thusly and the team who has paid me millions over the last six years is willing to let justice run its course and want me to come along I show my reciprocal loyalty by going and not coming back with some weak s*** about reflection. Like I say, I still think the world of JS as a player but I find his reaction to his own mistake to be disappointing though certainly not damning. I've made so many mistakes in my life I cannot count them all so I try to be understanding when other people do but it makes no sense to compound one mistake with another, to compound one instance of unprofessionalism with another. And the deal with Brent was a bit more speculative, wasn't it? I cannot recall...had he been cleared to play or maybe actually even played a game and then sat out the playoff game?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
This is not the Mora-led Falcons. Okay? The entire philosophy of this team is putting the team first. And that goes for EVERYONE on the team, including Matt Ryan. If the team asks Matt to do something, and he does not because he is selfish, then f*ck him too.


Matt Ryan isn't Vick. I think we can all agree he isn't close to be a selfish player.



totally agree. And the Vick comparison is very 'apt'. I was a huge MV7 fan, until I saw him 'quit' on the team. Same thing for Grimes. (Now here's where Pudge jumps in and says 'I cant read'. Well, I can listen and I heard Dave Archer say he felt that Grimes did quit.) The same goes for Snelling,. I can forgive making dumb mistakes, but I dont forgive 'quitting'. Evar.

And if the day comes where I feel Matt Ryan 'acts' like Vick, I will call him out, too. Even though he has been one of the best if not THE best QB we have ever had. No sacred cows. But, I have no reason to do that because, you are right, Matt Ryan is not that guy, nor do I ever expect him to be.

consitency. :naughty:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 pm
Posts: 4191
Jeff Schultz posted an article on the AJC about how some of the Falcons players have quit. Perhaps Smith has lost the team, and this is part of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25774
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
there are plenty of 'legit' reasons to miss a game. Your wife or parents are desperately sick. Childbirth. But 'reflecting' on getting high does not count in my world.

OK. To each their own.

But isn't then your issue with the team for letting Snelling get the weekend off as opposed to Snelling for wanting to have the weekend off.

BTW, it was Flacco's second child, which I think probably makes a difference. Not to mention that Flacco is the starting QB of his team, while Snelling is a 3rd string RB that had only played 14 snaps over the previous 2 games. The difference between "essential" and "non-essential" personnel.

But regardless, the difference between me and you, and apparently the reason I'm a fanboy is that I try not to judge. Even if I disagree with something, I'm of the mindset that Jason Snelling is a grown ass man, and therefore capable of making his own decisions. And whether I agree with them or not, it's his decision to make and I move on.

I've never been arrested, but I imagine if I was, even for something that is relatively as minor as what Snelling got arrested for, then it would mess up my weekend too. And if that means skipping a game so that I can deal with off-field/legal issues, then so be it. Does that mean I'm (or Snelling is) no longer/less committed to the team? No. Because you don't know s*** about Jason Snelling. All you know is that he's a running back, went to school in Virginia, occasionally goes into beast mode on the field, and has epilepsy.

You don't know squat about his commitment to the team. And to use this incident not only as an indicator of his commitment, but as the indicator of his commitment is why you're just a fan, and thankfully aren't in charge of an NFL team.

backnblack wrote:
And the deal with Brent was a bit more speculative, wasn't it? I cannot recall...had he been cleared to play or maybe actually even played a game and then sat out the playoff game?

Grimes situation is the exact same as Roddy's from 2 weeks ago against the Panthers. Grimes missed 3 games and then got re-injured against the Saints in Week 16 (although he played every snap), then missed the season finale vs. Jacksonville, then was held out of practice on Wed & Thurs the week of the Giants game. He was limited on Friday, and the assumption was then that he would play on Sunday, but he didn't because he didn't get cleared to play. This is exactly what happened to Roddy in Week 9, but just like Grimes, Roddy got shut down before the game.

It's not that speculative. We know that team doctors determine whether a player is eligible to play. If an injured player is inactive, unless stated otherwise it's an easy assumption to make that it was out of his hands. Occam's Razor. The only real speculation is that Grimes was able to somehow subvert this normal protocol and sit out the game despite being healthy enough to play. At no point was that claim ever made, but only interpreted by some foolish individuals because they read this statement:

Quote:
He practiced on a limited basis two days prior to the Falcons' playoff loss to the Giants, though. The team was expecting him to suit up vs. the Giants, but he was added to the list of inactives the morning of the game and we hear some inside the organization were very surprised, and disappointed, that he didn't play.


to mean:

Quote:
Team doctors had cleared him to play two days prior to the Falcons playoff loss to the Giants [which Btw doesn't happen]. The team was very surprised and disappointed that Grimes decided the more of the game to go among the inactive list.


And again, even if that were true, we get into the issue of the beef isn't with the player, it's with the team that took such a gutless player and decided to guarantee him $10 million with a Franchise tag.

:roll:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
there are plenty of 'legit' reasons to miss a game. Your wife or parents are desperately sick. Childbirth. But 'reflecting' on getting high does not count in my world.

OK. To each their own.

But isn't then your issue with the team for letting Snelling get the weekend off as opposed to Snelling for wanting to have the weekend off.

You don't know squat about his commitment to the team. And to use this incident not only as an indicator of his commitment, but as the indicator of his commitment is why you're just a fan, and thankfully aren't in charge of an NFL team.


And again, even if that were true, we get into the issue of the beef isn't with the player, it's with the team that took such a gutless player and decided to guarantee him $10 million with a Franchise tag.:



The team did not 'let' him 'take the weekend off'. What are they going to do, put a gun to his head? The article says, in plain print " The seventh-year player emphasized Monday that it was his decision not to make the trip to Tampa and not a form of discipline from the team. He said he took the time to reflect on himself and apologized for not being there with his teammates.

The organization wanted Snelling to be in Tampa. I can accuratelt make a determination that even after him getting arrested, he went against the wishes of his teammates AND his coaching staff. That is why he is 'apologising'. Now, your going to accept that, because that is your judgement, as a 'fanboy', who also is not in charge of an NFL team. :mrgreen:

the only people still mad that the Falcons put the franchise tag on Brent Grimes, are you, Brent and Miko. In that case, you have stated many,many times that you felt it was such an outrageous slight, that it totally absolves him from pouting, not going to the facility to use thier 'trainers', etc..Dave Archer is usually very,very careful about what he says on the air, because he is getting paid by the Falcons. Now, I could understand your point about a reporter making a 'semantical' mistake in the phrasing of Grimes' 'sit out'. But when I hear from a guy who works and has played for this organization that there is bad blood and that is a direct result of sitting out, of not being amenable, of freezing out the coaching staff and FO... then I can make my assumption that Brent was mad, and Miko was stirring the pot. Which is more liekly the case..If you have been paying attention, she has been doing the exact same thing in Miami concerning the Incognito B.S. That is a perfect situation where she absolutely should not be running her mouth, but she cannot help herself.

You do, in fact make 'judgements' all the time that sometimes will place the player above the team or coaching staff. Grimes is a perfect example, so I thank you once again for showcasing the obvious :P Were going to have to agree to disagree here, because the one truly unforgivable sin in this sport is 'quitting'. I cannot abide that. You, obviously can. For you, Pudge, if a player is good or very good, and is productive, you are more willing to 'overlook', or as you say 'not judge' that players decisions. Also, if the player is not very good , I believe you would be more likely to call them out for this kind of stuff. If Jam98 pulled this exact same stunt: got busted smoking weed and took himself out of a game ( although I dont know why the Falcons would want him in the game anyways) I dont think you would have been as supportive. As for me, I dont care if it's Travarious Robertson or Julio Jones, once the team asks you to do something, and you refuse to because it's in 'your' best interest, and not the 'teams' best interest, you have effectively 'quit' on your team and should be shown the door. :beef:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 4861
Location: New York
Nice to see things haven't changed on the site. Fun Gus remains delusional and doesn't understand the personal life or injury extent of players. Still whines about Grimes' missing that playoff game, when he was clearly hurt and wasn't going to be effective. Now he's calling Snelling a quitter, yet the guy has always plays hard and done a lot for the franchise. He got into serious trouble and clearly wasn't in the right frame of mind. Give the guy a break, he has some serious issues going on.

_________________
Image

R.I.P 2013 season


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:42 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25774
Location: North Carolina
First of all, my recollection of Dave Archer's comments was that Grimes was not using the team's facilities to rehab his Achilles injury, and was doing it elsewhere. Again, this is a fairly common occurrence in the league, and there have been numerous times over the years where a player has chosen to work out on his own or rehab on his own. Sometimes it has to do with being upset over a contract, other times it doesn't. In the case of Grimes, I'm sure it had everything to do with his contract situation. And as I've stated several times before, I have no issue if a player is disgruntled over the fact that he was tagged by a team that has little to no intention of getting signed long-term. It's a common occurrence in today's NFL. Some players suck it up and just go to work every day like it's no big deal (see Randy Starks), other players sulk and complain. There are no judgments from me on which a player does, because to each his own.

I make judgments about football, not personality traits. Because I don't know any of these guys, and don't pretend to. I think Roddy is dumb as a stump, but he's a baller on the field, and thus I don't care that much. I'll call him out for saying stupid stuff on twitter, but never once has that ever bled into what he does on the field, nor have I ever suggested that because he posts dumb stuff online means that he should lose his job.

Take Ray Edwards for instance. He got cut because he was "openly insubordinate" to the coaching staff in front of the team and ownership, and that was for the team the straw that broke the camel's back and led to his release. If I supported that move, it would have little to do with his insubordination, it would have had everything to do with the fact that he wasn't producing on the field.

My general mantra is that I don't give a crap what players do off the field, as long as it doesn't affect what they do on the field. Ray Edwards could be a "me first" player, but if he was getting 8-10 sacks a year, I really wouldn't have cared if he was in it for the women and money as opposed to the fame. In the case of DeAngelo, I supported his departure in '08 because he quit on the team (i.e. his effort went downhill) IMO after the release of Grady Jackson, and despite his production on the field, I didn't believe his performance merited the elite CB money that he so wished (and ultimately was proven correct). In the case of Michael Boley, I think his performance suffered in 2008 because of his less than stellar effort, so I understood completely why the team chose to move on from him, but as you may or may not recall, I would have supported his return to the team at the right price and possibly with a change in position (from SLB to WLB).

I wouldn't have a problem if Randy Moss was on the team, just that the Falcons would have to pay him a salary commiserate with his status as a "mercenary." I'm not going to pay a guy $40 million if I don't think he's a team-first rah rah rah guy, but paying a guy $1 or $2 million, no prob Bob. As long as your production on the field is fine, then you got no problem with me.

Going back to Vick. Vick quit on the team twice. My arguments against Vick were those instances proved he wasn't a franchise QB and worthy of the $130 million contract he received from us. I've always maintained that if Vick was given Jake Delhomme $$$ instead of Peyton Manning $$$, the amount of complaining I do/did about him would significantly decrease.

I didn't care that Michael Turner got a DUI from coming home from Magic City on his off night. Unlike others :whistle: : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17535

And you're right, because Snelling is a former 7th round that is a 3rd string RB, that makes $1.2 million, I'm not going to hold him to the same standard that I would Matt Ryan, a former #1 pick, starting QB that makes $104 million. Matt Ryan's standard of leadership is going to be factored a lot differently than Snelling's. You're right, if Ryan "pulled this stunt" my reaction would probably be different.

If you want to take the tact that all players should be held to the same standard, then that's fine and dandy in youth football, HS, and college to a certain extent. But it's complete BS in the pros. Brett Favre and Brett Swain (Google him) aren't going to be held to the same standard by any human being out there.

Now you could say that Snelling's actions off the field affected his ability to produce on the field. But it's a 1-time incident. I have no cause to question Snelling's commitment in 6 years prior to this weekend, and more than likely will have no cause to question it again for the remainder of the season, and the remainder of his contract (thru 2014).

If it becomes a pattern of behavior (like it was with Vick), then it's something that merits being addressed. But until then, life goes on. No big deal.

But in your eyes, it is. Which is fine, that your eyes. You said back in 2012, that because Grimes didn't go the extra mile to play in that all-important end all-be all Giants playoff game, you believed he didn't have a place on your favorite football team. That's fine. But don't be shocked if/when other people don't hold players to such high standards.

Don't be shocked when others, fanboys like myself, tend to view players as human beings. And thus the fact that they aren't 110% committed to the ideal of the team 24/7/365, isn't a slap in the face, isn't some flaw that must be purged from the franchise immediately.

Don't act like your right is the right/only way of how things should be. I don't give a s*** that Snelling missed this game. I don't give a s*** if any player is in a situation where in their eyes, something besides football is the #1 priority in their life, whether that's family, friends, legal issues, or a stripper named Mirage.

I know you believe that because these guys are employees of the Atlanta Falcons, that the team has dominion over all/most aspects of their lives. I understand that there are companies/corporations that believe that just because you receive a check from me, I have a say in how you live your life. But I don't think that should be the case.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
Pudge wrote:
I know you believe that because these guys are employees of the Atlanta Falcons, that the team has dominion over all/most aspects of their lives. I understand that there are companies/corporations that believe that just because you receive a check from me, I have a say in how you live your life. But I don't think that should be the case.



These guys earn 10x the median household income, even if you get the league minimum. For that kind of $$, there are 'conditions'. During the season, you are 'expected' to do your job. Wanna get high and get a DUI leaving a stripclub? There are 5 months a year you can do that, IMO. BUt, if you do that during the season, and it affects the team, it is not 'dominion', it is a player putting himself before the team. Ever see a DR with a 'pager'? Does the fact that the DR can be called at any moment mean his profession has 'dominion' over them? Of course not. They make a great deal of $$, and they are expected to perform. Same thing applies to any professional athlete, or even highly paid artists and performers.

When, let say, Cee Lo signs off a=on a tour contract, he is expected to play X amount of times. Now, he can have a 'personal' problem, and cancel a date, but then the management company has to refund all that money. If an 'artist' regularly has 'issues' and cannot perform, they cancel the tour. The NFL cannot do this. If one guy on a team quits, the game must go on and nobody is getting a refund.

I know you would like to think otherwise, but I am a pretty forgiving type, but one thing I can absolutely NOT accept is flat out 'quitting'. I find it interesting that someone who has such an issue of 'tanking' (which is, essentially giving up) even though it has positive outcomes, voraciously defends an individual player who does exactly that ..A fan is a fan of the team. A 'fanboy' places individual players above the team. We have seen this movie play out too often, already..

But they should cut Snelling. A: A smith will get more touches. B: 2014 cap hit: 1,733,333 but our savings from release: 1,375,000C: it sends a message that quitting is unnacceptable.

Yeah, we will agree to disagree on this one :whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:58 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25774
Location: North Carolina
Comparing 1 of 53 players to Cee-Lo is silly, especially when it's Jason Snelling. In your comparison, Jason Snelling is the roadie that sets up the drums for the background band at Cee-Lo's connect.

fun gus wrote:
Wanna get high and get a DUI leaving a stripclub? There are 5 months a year you can do that, IMO. BUt, if you do that during the season, and it affects the team, it is not 'dominion', it is a player putting himself before the team.

You're so comfortably naive aren't you?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1878 ... ug-compass

Quote:
Last year, former Lions player Lomas Brown made headlines by saying at least 50 percent of NFL players probably smoke marijuana. About 70 percent of prospects at the draft combine admitted to using the drug, according to an ESPN survey, and football players are the most frequent marijuana users in college sports, according to an NCAA report.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/16/46 ... rylink=cpy

Quote:
Hurd’s is the voice of a postmodern NFL in which “at least half” of all players, by Hurd’s “conservative estimate,” smoke marijuana at some point during the season, and members of two teams, the Broncos and Seahawks, live and pay taxes in marijuana-legal states. Players smoke (or vaporize) cannabis for various reasons, according to interviews with NFL veterans: to get out of bed easier, to manage stress, to relax, to alleviate pain or simply to get high.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/12/sam-hurd-cocaine-bust/8/

Apparently more than half the players in NFL are putting themselves "above the team."

I assume you also think the Broncos should dump Von Miller too, right? And the Chiefs made the right decision to dump Jared Allen after his second DUI?

fun gus wrote:
I find it interesting that someone who has such an issue of 'tanking' (which is, essentially giving up) even though it has positive outcomes, voraciously defends an individual player who does exactly that

There is a difference between 1 player on a team skipping 1 game to deal with personal/legal issues, than an entire team/organization that makes the decision to purposefully lose games, or to put forth minimal effort in order to win them.

One is a personal decision made by a single player that impacts himself and the other 52 "co-workers." Another is a business decision made by dozens of individuals that impacts not only the 53 players on the team but also the tens of thousands of fans that shell out their hard-earned money for multiple games. Don't see the difference?

Do you feel cheated fun gus because Snelling didn't play against the Bucs? Do you feel like you should be reimbursed the 8 cents that you lost because he didn't get on the plane to Tampa?

fun gus wrote:
A fan is a fan of the team. A 'fanboy' places individual players above the team. We have seen this movie play out too often, already..

Really?

:lol:

I usually expect the "You're not a real fan" comments to come from internet commenters and newbies to the forums.

Welcome back, PB21.
:beef:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:27 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4475
Pudge Wrote
Quote:

Don't act like your right is the right/only way of how things should be. I don't give a s*** that Snelling missed this game. I don't give a s*** if any player is in a situation where in their eyes, something besides football is the #1 priority in their life, whether that's family, friends, legal issues, or a stripper named Mirage.


Well that's wrong..... Players get paid to play. I understand a family situation and I'd go to a parents funeral; and other unique situations where your son may be in critical situation in the hospital...... But these 16 games are what the team is counting on. He's been paid millions and its all been fair. You make it sound like its nobody's business why someone misses a game. Really he gets arrested and can't play.?? I don't hold things against players either except when a player uses a small issue to miss a game when's he's signed a contract to
play.

No I don't know how much it bothered him; and No again it doesn't cloud his six good years.

Yes all players should stay out of trouble during the season!! I know that's a strange concept; but one that players should pay huge fines for missing games for screw ups during the season.

However it doesn't make me not like Snelling; just giving an opinion!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6149
Location: Planet Claire
OK, a thought here. Is this a generational divide in attitude? Some years back I was complaining to another guy who runs a small business about truancy from work with employees and sort of rhetorically asked how is it guys can manage to miss so much work. His answer has always stuck with me: Because they can. Somebody or some institution is allowing it to happen. They have parents, wives, girlfriends or maybe the government creating a situation for them that makes it so they don't have to make money to survive. Typically, the older you get the less people are providing a safety net for you. more often than not, you are the one propping someone else up...a child, truant workers asking for loans on Friday, etc. Also, the older you get the more likely it is that you are the one running the show rather than being on the lower rungs. When you have little stake in the company you are more worried about your rights as an employee than whether your behavior impacts the overall good of the enterprise.

This sort of divide seems to pop up more and more to me and it manifests in things as diverse as the situation in Miami and Jason's deal. It seems that many of we older people take a bit less of a Utopian attitude about what an individuals "rights" are regarding his work place and perhaps consider them more "choices." You certainly do not have a right to have a job at all though many folks seem to think so. And, in spite of several good years of play this may may sour the team on Jason and he gets cut in the off season. He may get picked up by someone else but they will also consider this whole scenario when they write his contract and I would wager that his opting to miss the game on his own accord will be a blacker mark against him than the weed bust because, as noted above, I think everyone understands that pot use is rampant in the league.

Obviously, since he will likely be under more strict guidelines with the NFL's substance abuse program and will, therefore, be a risk to miss future games teams will also be reluctant. In other words, as employers our attitude is typically, "I don't want to know about your personal problems. Just do your job." And most workers don't want to divulge anything about their personal life or problems until they stand to gain from something from it...like a day off or other considerations. Your employer is not your parent. It's a symbiotic relationship. I pay you and you provide me labor and int he NFL the most critical point for the labor is game day of which there are only 16 days out of 365. The CBA has already curtailed many of the "draconian" practices of the teams.

I've worked precious little in bureaucratic type jobs such as the government or large corporations so my attitude may be somewhat small time. A happy worker is a productive worker...sometimes. But a guy who needs and wants his job is much more productive than a guy who is merely happy with it...thus production in contract years in sports.

Anyway, I don't question Jason's mental toughness for a minute. In the same playoff game that Grimes did or did not sit out with a questionable injury JS played through with a broken jaw. Guys like Jason are actually the heart and soul of the league while the stars are the face. Just a bad decision compounding a bad decision, in my view. Another question: if we were undefeated do you think he does the same thing?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
Pudge wrote:
Welcome back, PB21.
:beef:


:roll:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25774
Location: North Carolina
I don't have a problem with anybody being critical of Snelling's decision. The problem I have is what I see as fun gus' overreaction to a relatively minor mistake.

But I don't get why that if a guy who has put in 6 years of good work for your company/team/business and then elects to take a "sick day" to deal with some relatively minor personal issues, suddenly needs to be fired because he's not a "company/team" guy is just a silly overreaction. Maybe it is a generational issue, and if I had been born 10-15 years earlier, maybe I would have a different outlook on that.

Now if Snelling gets cut this off-season IMO it should not be over this, it should be due to the fact that he'll be 30 years old a month from now, and in 2014 will be the same age that Jackson is now, and Michael Turner was his final year in Atlanta. And they could save $1.4 million against next year's cap, which could be the equivalent of 2-3 mid-level free agents to bolster other positions, and the fact that they have some confidence in Antone Smith or Josh Vaughan( :roll: ) or want to draft a rookie to replace Snelling, then so be it.

But if a fan or GM says, "We cut Snelling because we didn't feel he was fully committed to the team concept" that IMHO is a lame excuse.

Here's something else to think about…

Snelling has dealt with a concussion, knee, and ankle injuries thus far this season. Maybe he's self-medicating to try and deal with the pain, as NFL players are want to do. Or maybe he's dealing with some personal stuff in his life, such as depression, and is also self-medicating there. Would that change your opinion of his desire to sit out?

There could 18 factors that went into that decision which could have been any that I mentioned, or it could be in fact that what fun gus says, and Snelling isn't motivated to play for this team any longer. We don't know, and probably will never know. But to sit there and say, it clearly is that he isn't motivated to play for the team and should subsequently be unemployed is just foolish.

People have a tendency to go from 0 to 60 on this forum over minor stuff. Pump the brakes guys...

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:15 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6149
Location: Planet Claire
Guys? Plural? Really?

They will not cut him over this alone and it will not be the main issue but it might be a small one though doubtedly. The guy has been a warrior from jump and they know this. As I or anyone who has a clue about the league say, it's all about 16 Sundays a year and a few more if you are lucky. Some days off work are more important than others. what if you are a soldier and you train with your unit and then the day everyone else goes to battle you decide to take a day off to reflect? Ridiculous supposition? Of course, but illustrative of how easy you simplify someone's opposing point of view.

I seriously doubt you would see a rookie decide to do what Jason did. He should be a multi-millionaire now even though he never has gotten a huge contract. One more year and he gets an NFL pension, right? I love JS the player, no virtually nothing about JS the man and really don't care a whole lot about the whole situation. I'm just an old school guy with working class roots who was taught that you go into work unless something serious is going on and personal reflection can be done simultaneously with work . Just more of the SOS. Our culture is as mentally soft as a doughnut. And before you get started, yes, I come with sprinkles.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
there are 16 games a season. 16. need to 'reflect'? Do it on any other then those 16 days, if you simply cannot control yourself in season...because 'everybody does it'. ( I bet the Mayor of Toronto was 'self medicating' too.)

Look, I am a proponent of 'medical maryjane', but lets be real here..Nobody uses weed to treat knee injuries, ok? Yes, it can be used to relieve pain, but not sports injuries. Im sure someone can 'find' a link where someone will say weed can cure 'everything'. May even be a doctor, or a professor. But we all know what medical maryjane is primarily used for. Chemo, glaucoma, etc..In fact, it's these 'a$$holes' that smoke out and call it 'self medication' are making it really hard for the honest to goodness people that actually NEED it to convince the general public that may not be on board that it's not a bad idea. :roll:

But maybe Jason's 'concussion' had him eating weed at 4 am, because, you know why bother going to the doctor or team trainer, when you could just smoke some Kush and be done with it?

Pb21....out ! :lol:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Last edited by fun gus on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4475
Quote:
.Nobody uses weed to treat knee injuries, ok?


What?? Oh s***!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:06 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6149
Location: Planet Claire
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d/related/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4475
IS this the same GUS who wants Ryan to sit??

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:58 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4912
I never called for Ryan to sit. I only asked for playing time for Nique. BIG difference.

Methinks I will take a break from here on out, Peace :hihi:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:36 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4475
Yes but your asking him to sit in some competive games. No one is attacking you or your, giving back what you get, I'll miss you not being around, most sights have much in common,
once you post there to have any influence; many take you on, its the nature of a football
board. Peace back at you !!

People usually leave boards at the end of horrible seasons. Its hard to take; and I've taken my share!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 pm
Posts: 4475
GUS WROTE:
Quote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
If Ryan had any type of injury what so ever, I could see having him sit. If he's healthy, he needs to play. (Insert your standard "We want to keep him healthy" response here)



can you expound on this? why 'must' he play? besides the obvious, aren't you the least bit curious as to who we have backing him up? what is the great 'need' for him to play?

He's not RG3, who has to prove himself. Ryan already has. You know who hasn't? his backup. You know who is playing for RG#, so he can be healthy next season? Kirk Freeking Cousins! RG3's BACKUP.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10118 ... src=mobile

I just don't understand that philosophy. To me, it makes sense. Chess>Checkers, IMO


iT SURE sounds like there are times when you want Ryan to sit vs. Back-up time for our second string Qb. I can only write to what you have written. You have not made it clear you only wanted Ryan to sit in out of hand situations, in fact you seem to think its wrong for us to continue to win!!

_________________
"Everything Counts"
Cyril


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snailing to the rescue!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6149
Location: Planet Claire
fun gus wrote:
I never called for Ryan to sit. I only asked for playing time for Nique. BIG difference.

Methinks I will take a break from here on out, Peace :hihi:

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron