It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thursday Night Stinkfest
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, luckily for us it's a Thursday game and all the Thursday games thus far have been sloppy. Extremely sloppy. Now let's not get carried away. We have no chance to win, but I'm just hoping we can keep the Saints under 50. It'll be close.

Saints - 47
Falcons - 13

:down:

Post subject: Re: Thursday Night Stinkfest
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

:lol: Gonna be ugly, no doubt. First prize door drawing is free tickets to next Sunday's game. Second prize is tickets to all remaining games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Gonna be ugly, no doubt

Roger that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Smitty does it again. 52-yard field goal try with just over two minutes left in the game? 17 to 13 with three timeouts left, and your decision is to give the ball back to Drew Brees at 17-16?

Once we get out of the first 15 scripted plays, were in trouble. This isn't an anomaly, it is now a pattern. :beef:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

How do you know that Smitty's plan wasn't to kick the FG, and go for the onside? And if they didn't get the onside, they would have used all 3 TOs.

If you used Advanced NFL Stats cute stats 4th down calculator, going for it would be the right decision if you feel you have a 63% chance of converting. The league average was 19%, but there's good reason to believe the Falcons chances were much lower than that.

The Falcons have converted 2 of 16 opportunities where they had 15+ yards to go on 3rd/4th down this year. They had 3 opportunities in the Saints game in such situations, failed in all 3 of them. They averaged 6.7 yards gained on those 3 downs. The most yards they gained was an 11-yard pass to Roddy at the start of the second quarter.

From 2011-12, the Falcons had only converted 1 of 26 of those situations. That lone conversion was a 19-yard conversion from Redman to Julio on 3rd & 15 against the Jaguars in Week 15 in 2011.

From 2008-10, it was 7 of 44 times the Falcons got the conversion. So history suggests that the Falcons chances were about 11.6% of converting on 4th down. Matt Bryant has hit 6 straight 50+ yard kicks in the Georgia Dome, and made 15 straight kicks in the Georgia Dome. In fact, Bryant's only miss from beyond 45 in the Georgia Dome came on a blocked kick in 2009 vs. the Bills. Since then, he had connected on 13 of 13 field goals from beyond 45. So there's every reason for Smith to believe that Bryant's chances of making that kick were well-beyond the league average of 52%, but was up in the 80-90%.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I will just say this: you dont give the ball back to Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Payton Manning with almost 2-3 minutes left and down by one. I care not a whit for cute stats, that is just common sense, right there. Plus, you are taking a huge gamble our special teams can recover the onside kick, and if not you just gave Brees the ball midfield.

I think you go for it, and even if you dont make the conversion, you could at least eat up some ground.

No sir. Bad decision, IMO. :snooty:

I don’t know what is more mind-numbingly awful. Mike Smith opting to kick a field goal down by four points with 2:24 left in a game, or the almost universal praise after the game that this was the right decision.

I can go about explaining it any number of ways, but this was a dreadful decision. Here is Mike Smith:

“There’s not a whole lot of fourth and 14′s. We had I believe it was around 2 minutes, 28 seconds, so we had a timeout before the two minute, use the two minute as a timeout, we were going to have an opportunity to get the ball back with the offense, only having to kick a field goal to win. Matt Bryant has kicked a lot of clutch field goals for us, and giving us an opportunity.”

The play was a 4th and 15. There have been 306 attempts on fourth down of between 13 and 17 yards going back to 1999. It’s not an insignificant number. This isn’t a rare case where teams never go for it in this situation at the end of the game. This would be the exact kind of situation where having someone with a sense of actual results in other games would help in decision making.

The NFL Network analysts, most of whom I believe were once competitors who must have had great belief in themselves, acted like this was an impossible feat. God forbid that a football team ever pick up 15 yards on a play by means of this forward pass.

Teams have converted 20.3% of fourth down attempts of between 13 and 17 yards (62 of 306). Let’s just call it 20%. Does that change your view of the call?

Here’s another number to compare it to: 24.8%

That’s the percentage of time that New Orleans has a first down with the ball, and fails to pick up another one. (via Football Outsiders Drive Stats)

Those numbers aren’t that different, but one is viewed as an impossibility, while the other is just glossed over and vastly overestimated. The payoffs, of course, are much different. Going for it and converting results in an outright touchdown sometimes (a quarter of all those long fourth down conversions actually scored on that play). Even when it doesn’t you are inside the red zone with a first down, and a favorite to score a touchdown with plenty of time to call any play.

Using the win probability estimator at Advanced NFL Stats, I estimate the chances of Atlanta winning based on choosing the long field goal at 9.8% (which accounts for the chances of a miss) and the odds of winning based on going for it at 15.7%.

That is a massive drop. It’s a fascinating decision because it combined a bunch of coaching logical fallacies into one giant crapola soup. Those include:
•SO YOU’RE SAYING THERE’S A CHANCE: Vastly underestimating the actual chances of converting a fourth down, even a long one;
•THE POINTS DON’T ALWAYS GET TAKEN: Overconfidence in the concept of field goal range and the likelihood of making a kick;
•ALL WE NEED IS A STOP: Coaches seem to make these decisions with the assumption that the stop is likely. Just look at Smith’s quote;
•THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ONE AND FOUR IS MASSIVE: Coaches overestimate the relative value of being down 1 versus 4, compared to outright having the lead versus still trailing. In reality, the difference between 1 and 4 is not nearly as great as having the lead.

Add all that up, and you get a coach that gives away a chance to take a lead, and opts to try to stay close and hope and pray that a bunch of other stuff goes right.

The Falcons missed the 52-yard field goal and lost.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/22/mike-s ... -the-game/

Last edited by fun gus on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't really care about the field goal [although I did raise an eyebrow] because the game was already over. With the Saints D-line crushing our O-line like they were school girls the past two plays, and them knowing that it was a throwing down for huge yards, we'd already lost it. We had no answer for the Saints on passing downs, period, and it was sickening.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I don’t know what is more mind-numbingly awful. Mike Smith opting to kick a field goal down by four points with 2:24 left in a game, or the almost universal praise after the game that this was the right decision.

If you have a problem with everybody, maybe your the problem. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

And when the Falcons don't make their 4th down and forever, the Saints still get the ball back in just about the same field position.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:47 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

And when the Falcons don't make their 4th down and forever, the Saints still get the ball back in just about the same field position.

"Using the win probability estimator at Advanced NFL Stats, I estimate the chances of Atlanta winning based on choosing the long field goal at 9.8% (which accounts for the chances of a miss) and the odds of winning based on going for it at 15.7%."

:whistle: :snooty:

Maybe Smitty was doing a 'Fake for Jake'? Going soft like Downey for Clowney? :mrgreen:

Brings up an interesting debate I had with my crew last night. Which would have been the better outcome? Smeaking one out against the Saints, or getting the #3 pick?

I chose not to go to anymore games this year, but if I was there, I would have wanted the 'win'. I cannot say I'm dissapointed in the loss. Just dissapointed in Smitty's late game call, again. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:53 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

FG is too used to seeing teams convert 4 and 15+ against us. With real NFL defenses it doesn't happen much. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
FG is too used to seeing teams convert 4 and 15+ against us. With real NFL defenses it doesn't happen much. :oops:

:lol: :up:

'Adventuretime!'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

"Using the win probability estimator at Advanced NFL Stats, I estimate the chances of Atlanta winning based on choosing the long field goal at 9.8% (which accounts for the chances of a miss) and the odds of winning based on going for it at 15.7%."

:whistle: :snooty:

I'm going to guess that 15.7% is assuming we went for it and actually got the first down. And even if we went for it and did get the first down, there is no promise that we were going to get a TD anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I obviously have an agenda against Smith, but the field goal there was the right call. That brings us to within one point, and all we have to do to win the game is get the ball back and get in field goal range. Ryan is quite good at getting us in field goal range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:15 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Okay, I do see y'alls point. And to some extent, I agree going for the FG was good 'fundamental' football.

I guess my reaction was due to the situation: playing at home, down by 4, against our bitter division rival ( who is playoff bound) and being 2-8. In that case, I would have 'gone for it'. Were probably going to lose either way, but I would have liked to have lost with Matt Ryan instead of Matt Bryant. But I do 'see' the philosophy.

Remember when the Saints won thier SB? They did an onside kick to open the second half. The played 'aggressive,high risk' football and they accomplished something we have yet to do. So when I see 'Smittyball' in this case, it drove me a little nuts. I think had we gone for it, and won the game, it would have polished the turd that is this season. If we had made the FG, got the onside kick, and won it that way, it still would have polished that turd, but it would have felt a little different.

At this point, beating the Saints at home would have been a bright spot in a dismal season. To lose it, even in a way that 'makes sense', hurts a little. But, I do see the reasoning. Im just saying at this point, why not? Go for it! Balls out! :dance: :doh:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Funny how everyone remains to be so critical, when they actually put up a fight and stayed competitive. The loss hurts a bit, but still proud of the way they competed. Actually didn't get blown out for the first time in a month.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, Smith isn't a balls out coach, he's the opposite of that. Which again, is part of my belief that he's not a good game day coach. I'm not a fan of going balls out, but I do think that you need to have some element of surprise in your game plan to give you a competitive advantage. We don't seem to believe in competitive advantage. The loss to the Bucs was as much about getting out-coached as it was getting outplayed. We got our butts kicked because their coach decided to try some things. We rarely seem to try anything, and when we do, it's because our backs are against the wall, and everyone knows what's coming. We're 2-8. Why not open the game with an onside kick? Why not expand our restrictions on going for it on fourth down? Why not run a trick play every now and then? (have we ever had a RB throw a pass?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We've lost a few games to the Saints by Smitty playing from more of an emotional stance than logical with various short yardage attempts. It was probably pretty sound thinking. The miss just makes it look worse. We had our chances to win that one which, As E says, is more than can be said of the past few weeks. It was good to see the guys show up for a change and play with some pride. It was also good to see them stick with the run a little longer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I obviously have an agenda against Smith, but the field goal there was the right call. That brings us to within one point, and all we have to do to win the game is get the ball back and get in field goal range. Ryan is quite good at getting us in field goal range.

GREAT POST!! The reason is we had a better chance of stopping the Saints than making a 4th
and 20 play. Its a shame Bryant missed; we were not going to make that play with the Saints knowing what they had to stop, with the game on the line.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:35 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I'm going to guess that 15.7% is assuming we went for it and actually got the first down. And even if we went for it and did get the first down, there is no promise that we were going to get a TD anyways.

Using Advanced NFL Stats 4th down calculator, I think the more accurate numbers are 9% and 12%. So closer than he estimates. Also that is based off the NFL averages, which as I illustrated before that in that scenario, the Falcons offense is below average and Matt Bryant is above average. Which probably makes the gap between the two numbers even smaller.

I get people being critical of Smitty not being aggressive in that situation. But there's a difference between saying:

"Given the circumstances of the game and this season, I would have preferred that Smitty went with the aggressive play call and go for it on 4th down rather than going for the field goal, and thus I'm disappointed."

than

"Smitty is an idiot for kicking the field goal. Clearly, going for it is the far superior strategy."

Because it's not. Bnb is joking, but I think the Jason Lisks and Bill Barnwells of the world that are clearly critical of this decision aren't considering things that are specific to Atlanta, rather just thinking more in generalities.

The scenario where you'd make the conservative call and kick the FG really is basically the situation where the Falcons had where you have 3 TOs, a very accurate kicker, and a struggling offense that has struggled mightily to generate 15+ yd plays.

I don't think anybody that knows the Falcons specifically can fault Smitty for having more confidence in his kicker than his offense at that point in time.

Profile E-mail