It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A thought on complacency
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I had a thought... Is is possible that our front office is too focused on what happens during practice rather than what happens during the game?

Both of our lines suck. (this is a given right?) Perhaps they suck because their weekly level of competition sucks. If the coaches are evaluating players based on what they're seeing in practice, then perhaps everything is fine because they all perform equally well in practice. However, on game day, they get blown away at the point of attack. This would explain why Smith said, "It’s definitely not the type of football we’re accustomed to playing around here," when referring to the play of our lines in the Seattle game. He's evaluating the team in practice instead of looking at how they match up against other teams.

It would also explain why we held onto Turner too long, and decided to replace him with SJax. In practice, our offense is able to run the ball just fine with these guys. The line is able to open holes against the weak defensive line and our RB's actually do something. They figure that by getting SJax, he will do more in the secondary than Snelling or Rodgers. Only, SJax has been unable to get past the line of scrimmage in the games.

It also explains why we went after two young corners in the draft. We have Julio, Roddy, and Harry. In practice, Samuel and Robinson simply were unable to keep up with these guys, so we went out and drafted a couple of young bucks who could.

Lastly, it would explain why the line of thinking, "we're only one or two pieces away," has been prevalent in this front office for the past several years, and why there has been no sense of urgency to replace talent lost through injury or free agency.

I'm not saying that this IS what's happening... I'm wondering if it's possible that this is what's happening. Our off-season moves seem to fit the idea.

Post subject: Re: A thought on complacency
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have also wondered the same thing. Maybe when they are evaluating the roster they think they have some good players because they are able to make plays against the other mediocre players on our team. The only thing that about this train of thought is that when we had joint practices the coaching staff should have seen how weak we were up front against the Bengals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:21 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

No, it's not possible. Practice is practice, and the games are the games. I know that's somewhat vague, but you really can't say it any better than that. I know that the powers that be have made mistakes, but they're not idiots. They wouldn't have achieved to the degree and level that they have if they believe that practice > game or equal to it.

The complacency comes from the same place that it came from in the fan base. It's the attitude of, "Well, we're winning, so that means we're doing it the right way…" Not to call him out, but this is basically the same mantra that Cyril has basically been saying for years, for how/why TD & Co. were doing a good job.

The fact that we had been so successful in close games made us (including myself) believe that we were always going to be successful in close games, which breeds complacency.

com·pla·cen·cy

noun
1. a feeling of smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements.

Remember the post Giants presser, where Arthur Blank was all fire and brimstone, and TD & Smitty were "Everyone just chill out" ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:53 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I get the feeling Pudge is mad as hell and he's not gonna take it any more. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
I get the feeling Pudge is mad as hell and he's not gonna take it any more. :lol:

If you listen to our podcast that will be up in the next day or so, he goes on an epic rant.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Emmitt wrote:
backnblack wrote:

If you listen to our podcast that will be up in the next day or so, he goes on an epic rant.

Life's too short for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:49 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Emmitt wrote:
backnblack wrote:

Life's too short for that.

:lol: :clap: