It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babineaux bright spot
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If the Falcons decide to cut Jonathan Babineaux for "business reasons", I'll be absolutely disgusted. There is no way you can't pay this man a reasonable amount of money. He's one of the few defensive players playing at a high level still. You could never question his heart or determination. He's one of those players you need in the locker room, until he decides to retire. Expect a rant if they don't re-sign him. I'll forever love that guy.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Babineaux bright spot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I too will forever love the guy, but if the Falcons are smart (which they have not always been), then they won't bend over backwards for Babs. They should offer him a modest 1-yr. deal that pays him $3-4 million, and that's it. Maybe a 2-yr. deal that spreads out the cap hit, but the reality is that where Babs is likely to be in 2014 is going to be just a situational player that should only be playing 30 or so snaps. Babs is playing in nearly 90% of defensive snaps this year. That number should fall to 50-60% next year, but obviously will require the team to add someone that is good enough to deserve the other 30-40%.

Babs is at the same point in his career that Abe was at going into 2012. Clearly for Abe the bottom fell out over the final month of that season where he made zero impact. Obviously, he was rejuvenated this year in Arizona, but on principle you don't go out of your way to pay for a player that only has 1 more good year left in him, and that only is as a situational player.

Now the question I have is going to be whether the Falcons basically take an L on this past off-season and dump Osi and Jackson. They should. If Babs goes, and Osi stays, I'll be very upset.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Jackson should definitely go. I wouldn't let Osi go until I know that Clowney is going to be on the team, or we make another move to bring in a 3 down 4-3 defensive end. I think that we would be fools to try to continue this experiment of using undersized DE's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 pm 

I suspect Atlanta will probably be just good enough to keep us out of the Clowney race.

Really, I'd almost rather the Falcons take what will likely be a Top-5 pick and trade down to the middle of the first round and add some more more picks in the 2nd/3rd Round. Maybe even an extra first rounder.

This team has so many holes to fill they need more Day-1 picks to keep the damn from bursting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I suspect Atlanta will probably be just good enough to keep us out of the Clowney race.

Really, I'd almost rather the Falcons take what will likely be a Top-5 pick and trade down to the middle of the first round and add some more more picks in the 2nd/3rd Round. Maybe even an extra first rounder.

This team has so many holes to fill they need more Day-1 picks to keep the damn from bursting.

More picks is the right move if you have a plan for those picks. Simply acquiring more picks isn't going to fix anything. I think that if we are going to go with a 3-4 defensive line that moving down is a brilliant move. There will be a lot of 3-4 line talent in the middle of the first round. There are teams that we could trade with to acquire additional high 2nd round picks, and a team that has an additional first round pick. Making a move like that, so long as we're committed to running a 3-4 line, would allow us to aggressively build that line in the 2014 draft. I'm all for that. I'm also all for drafting Clowney. Both of these moves make sense for this team. I have a horrible feeling that we could do something that doesn't make any sense in this offseason. Perhaps that's just the long-time Falcons fan in me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
I think that if we are going to go with a 3-4 defensive line that moving down is a brilliant move. There will be a lot of 3-4 line talent in the middle of the first round

Oh really? Clearly, you know something that nobody else in the world knows.

As for moving down, dependent on the talent of this draft class (which remains to be seen), it could be a good move or it could be a bad move. We've had recently drafts that the depth was in the latter half of Round 1 and went into Round 2 and 3. Will next May's draft be the same? We'll see. If it is, then moving back is a good move. If not, then the Falcons should stay put.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think Babs will command a lot of money, he seems like a smart guy and knows his place. i don't care if they go 3-4 or 4-3, Babs better be on the team next year. Its like Grimes in the offseason of 2012, where people were worried he may be let go. Pudge said in an infamous quote "If they don't resign Brent Grimes and keep Dunta Robinson, then this organization clearly doesn't know what they are doing". I put Babs in that boat, even though he's a little older. I read a stat today that he's second in the league in defensive stops out of all defensive tackles. Nuff said.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Emmitt wrote:
I don't think Babs will command a lot of money, he seems like a smart guy and knows his place. i don't care if they go 3-4 or 4-3, Babs better be on the team next year. Its like Grimes in the offseason of 2012, where people were worried he may be let go. Pudge said in an infamous quote "If they don't resign Brent Grimes and keep Dunta Robinson, then this organization clearly doesn't know what they are doing". I put Babs in that boat, even though he's a little older. I read a stat today that he's second in the league in defensive stops out of all defensive tackles. Nuff said.

Couldn't have said it better, if it's reasonable he has earned some more money. He's playing great, we need to stop cutting guys that perform for us to buy other teams trash.