It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S-Jax Expirement: Over
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 pm 

So, can we end this whole experiment now and drop him like a ton-of-bricks at the end of the season?

I gotta think that we can get a back in the 3rd or 4th round that will cost 1/3 of S-Jax's cap hit who can give us 11-30 yards a game. What a ridiculous waste of money that signing was... So much for S-Jax still having tread on those wheels. Poor guy hit the wall in a bad way and coming to Atlanta just made it look even worse.

Hell, Quizz has been giving us better performance. It's really bad when the QB out rushes you.

I was all for the S-Jax signing as well... What a silly waste of cap money and roster space that was.

Post subject: Re: S-Jax Expirement: Over
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It was a mistake. I'm thinking that he's gone at the end of the year. I think that we'd be wise to release him outright and start getting Vaughn some reps to see if he's a serviceable #2 or #3.

And damnit, give Snelling a chance to start. Put an offensive line in front of him that doesn't blow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Josh Vaughan sucks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Purveyor of Truth & Justice wrote:
Josh Vaughan sucks.

Yes oh mighty one. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm 

He's a straight-line runner that lacks ideal burst, acceleration, and top-end speed. He doesn't cut well, nor does he run with power, although he runs hard, he doesn't break many tackles.

Vaughan is basically a poor man's Michael Turner if Turner was 30 pounds lighter. Like a declining Turner, he has a tendency to stop his feet when he gets into traffic, which is a no-no for a RB.

Also the fact that he's been cut by 5 teams also is a sign. Even in the instances where players go on to have success after bouncing around early, usually it's only getting cut 1 or 2 times. See Ed McCaffrey, Brian Finneran, Wes Welker, Tramon Williams, James Harrison, Ryan Grant, etc. If you got "it," usually by the time you hit your 3rd team, you'll show enough of it that they won't let you slip away.

The Falcons have 1 of the better 3rd down RBs in the NFL in Jacquizz Rodgers. So it begs the question where does Vaughan fit? I'm of the opinion that Vaughan is a capable No. 3 runner, which in my parlance is basically a guy that is only going to play if there is an injury to a player ahead of him on the depth chart, as opposed to a player like Quizz or Snelling that is a No. 2 that can be a regularly featured member of a committee system.

Snelling is likely a goner come 2015, so is Vaughan going to replace him? Perhaps, although he'll be hard-pressed to get reps like Snelling. Snelling only gets the reps he does because he too is a very good 3rd down option and is also versatile, able to play multiple roles (FB, ST), two areas where Vaughan is unproven (FB) or weak (ST).

Even so, that really just represents a No. 3 RB and thus there is no real reason why he needs reps now to develop into that role. So the only reason to give him reps is if you believe that he's capable of being a No. 1 tailback. And I say unequivocally that the answer is no, he is not.

Could I be wrong about Vaughan? Certainly. Heck, I said Darrin Walls wouldn't amount to squat in the NFL, and he's doing a pretty good job in New York, outperforming a trio of #1 picks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There is no RB currently on this team that should be the face of the Atlanta running game. Charles Sims out of WVU in the third would be exceedingly clutch (I love that commercial).