It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gruden?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

If Blank did go with the "Fire Mike Smith" path, I wouldn't be opposed to replacing him with Jon Gruden... But for what it's worth, I don't think Blank will fire Mike Smith (or TD for that matter). But here's some food for thought!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... or-falcons

Quote:
If Jon Gruden returns to NFL, expect it to likely be with Raiders or Falcons

Should former Super Bowl winning coach Jon Gruden end up leaving the broadcast booth and returning to coaching, his most likely destinations would be Oakland or Atlanta, according to league sources, should those jobs open up. The Raiders made a serious approach to Gruden last year, according to sources, and owner Mark Davis remains highly enamored of him, and is still evaluating coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie.

Gruden coached previously in Oakland and retains strong ties there and landing him would be a major coup for the Raiders. A year ago, with Allen and McKenzie in their first years on the job, it would have been even more financially restrictive to sweep out a regime and usher in a new one, let alone a staff as highly compensated as Gruden's would be. That's lessened some, one year later, and several sources who know Gruden well believe he is more inclined now than ever to return to the sidelines after rebuffing repeated overtures in the past.

The Falcons would also be a situation that could appeal to Gruden. They have a quarterback and no shortage of offensive weapons in place. They have been a contender in recent years and if they do let go of coach Mike Smith, owner Arthur Blank is likely to seek a very high-profile replacement. Blank has quietly interviewed big-name coaches in the past for his openings but ended up going with more nondescript options. But sources said with him getting a new stadium built and with his fan base fickle in the past and his team falling well below expectations this season, everything would be aligned for him to seek a more proven commodity to try to get his franchise to a Super Bowl, should Smith be fired.

Money is no object to Blank, Atlanta is close to Gruden's Orlando home (especially via private jet), and Gruden already coached in the division previously. While most of the probably head coaching openings wouldn't make much sense for him, these two certainly would.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gruden?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wouldn't be opposed to Gruden coming here to coach. HOWEVER... He should not be allowed to run player acquisition. Gruden is a coach, not a talent evaluator.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I was really thinking keep Smith and high Gruden as the OC. To me, that would be the ideal solution.

J. Mora JR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
I was really thinking keep Smith and high Gruden as the OC. To me, that would be the ideal solution.

There is no way that Gruden would take a job as a OC but that would be sweeeeeeet. I wouldn't be apposed to the Falcons just seeing what was out there as far as HCs go at the end of the season. In my opinion every player, coach, and front office member should be evaluated at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Gruden would definitely have a positive influence on Matt Ryan and the offense.

The big question is whether or not Gruden's arrival would lead to a shake up of the front office. Gruden helped push McKay out the door in Tampa Bay, and is not going to give up his cushy job at ESPN without significant control. While I've been critical of Thomas Dimitroff, I still have quite a bit more faith in him than the unknown. Bruce Allen was the GM in Tampa Bay with Gruden, as they had worked together in Oakland. Allen is currently the Redskins GM, so is probably not an option.

I wouldn't quite go so far to say that TD & Smitty are attached at the hip. But if Blank opted to fire Smitty, then like McKay in TB, I would expect TD wouldn't be long for Flowery Branch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

simply amazing. We have gone from 'there is no way in hell you fire a 5 winning season coach' to 'you know, if Gruden wants the job, maybe we should consider it'...

Aint ever going to happen, because that's not what Atlanta does. We dont blow things up, we just shrug our shoulders and say 'well, I guess were unlucky'. It's part and parcel of our culture here.

Which is why there is a Lombardy trophy in Tampa, and not here.

This city has NEVER won a sports championship in a regular season. The ONE World Series we won? Happened on a short season due to a strike, against an Indians team in the midst of the 'Roid era. Time and time and time again, we would get close and not seal the deal. It's what we do. :doh:

The Glazers were smart. They had enough of this sh*t. They brought in Gruden, and look what he did. Even if one wants to make the case that his SB win was the result of Dungy and Monte Kiffen, you have to admit that he at minimum, didn't 'f*ck it all up'. Now to be fair, after that SB win, he pretty much sucked. BUt give this man his due.

Even with all that said, I STILL give Mike Smith and TD 'one more year'. But that's 'it'.

:snooty: :whistle:

Last edited by fun gus on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm 

The last time the Falcons where rumored to be linked to a big name coach they where used for leverage to get a better deal. I'm sure everyone remembers the Bill Parcells debacle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seems to me that Gruden has become more of a pop culture phenom than a coach any more. Running Smitty out of town now would be dumb as dirt. Gruden won with Dungy's team and the more control he demanded the worse they got. How can an O guru never acquire or develop a decent QB? I'm not really a Gruden hater. I just don't get the hype...or rather I just get that it is hype. Does it ever seem that when these "legendary" coaches are coaxed out of retirement that they are not typically successful (Vermiel in KC, Ditka in NO, etc)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
Seems to me that Gruden has become more of a pop culture phenom than a coach any more. Running Smitty out of town now would be dumb as dirt. Gruden won with Dungy's team and the more control he demanded the worse they got. How can an O guru never acquire or develop a decent QB? I'm not really a Gruden hater. I just don't get the hype...or rather I just get that it is hype. Does it ever seem that when these "legendary" coaches are coaxed out of retirement that they are not typically successful (Vermiel in KC, Ditka in NO, etc)?

Personally I think the only reason Gruden was fired was because his final three seasons he had Tim Rattay, Brian Griese, and Chris Sims as starting QBs. If the Falcons were to go in a different direction I would like to see them go for David Shaw or Kevin Sumlin. David Shaw is just so cerebral and I think he will be the next coach known for great gameplans. Kevin Sumlin just strikes me as an offensive minded Mike Tomlin.