It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Falcons offense needs two things...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Right guard. Reynolds is not an NFL guard. Konz was not a guard. We need to bring in a road grading RG and stop playing games with the right side of the line.

Right Tackle. Holmes seems serviceable at Left Tackle. He was pretty bad at right tackle though. I also don't believe that Mike Johnson is our right tackle of the future. Either use a high pick on a RT, or go out and get one. The sooner, the better.

Again, we need to stop playing games with the right side of our line and beef it up so that it can both hold up to a pass rush, and occasionally open up some running lanes for our RBs. I honestly believe that if we had made moves in the off season to shore up the right side of the line, our season would look considerably different about now.

Post subject: Re: The Falcons offense needs two things...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
Right guard. Reynolds is not an NFL guard. Konz was not a guard. We need to bring in a road grading RG and stop playing games with the right side of the line.

Right Tackle. Holmes seems serviceable at Left Tackle. He was pretty bad at right tackle though. I also don't believe that Mike Johnson is our right tackle of the future. Either use a high pick on a RT, or go out and get one. The sooner, the better.

Again, we need to stop playing games with the right side of our line and beef it up so that it can both hold up to a pass rush, and occasionally open up some running lanes for our RBs. I honestly believe that if we had made moves in the off season to shore up the right side of the line, our season would look considerably different about now.

Spot on. Don't think anyone can argue this. I think Holmes will eventually go back to right tackle, since they invested in Baker so much. Reynolds is jut a bad fit.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Perhaps our missing tackle is currently our Right Guard :drugged:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

At this point, I think one strategy for the Falcons may be to keep Holmes at LT for the remainder of the season and see if Baker can play RT. Then have the two of them compete directly at LT next summer. And bring in another middle round pick or mid-level FA (like J'Marcus Webb, Marshall Newhouse, Anthony Collins) and re-sign Mike Johnson to bolster competition at RT. And then have an open competition at both spots to see who emerges.

As for RG, the hope is that a pile mover like Cordy Glenn or Larry Warford falls into Round 2 next May and snatch him up. The FA class next year isn't very promising at OG, and few that look to be demonstrably better than Garrett Reynolds. I thought Newhouse would make a better NFL guard than tackle, so he could be an option there. Otherwise you're just kinda hoping that a Gabe Carimi/John Moffitt type of talented but underachieving player becomes available via trade, or hoping that this year's middle round OGs are much better than recent drafts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The two things the Falcons offense needs is defense and more defense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm 

I tend to agree with Angry on this one. The Falcon's defense is a bigger liability that the current state of the Falcon's offense. Despite losing everything the Falcon's O has lost and it's short comings on the offensive line it's been decent enough.

The Falcon defense on the other hand is absolutely atrocious. Some of it is due to injuries (Spoon/Biermann) but much of it is complete lack of offensive pass rush and a lot of green in the secondary.

Hopefully the secondary fixes itself as the rookies get more experience but there is absolutely no hope for the Falcon defensive line. Babs is at the end of his career a long with Osi whom was a stop-gap for another end of career player in Abe. Peters is a solid started but the rest of the defensive line experiments are turning out to be nothing more.

Fix the Atlanta pass rush and you have a better overall team.

Atlanta does need to at least address the RG or RT position but the defense needs more help than the offense at this juncture.