It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Smith not quite on the hot seat yet, but getting warm
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1806 ... -in-week-6

They cite his game day management as being a big problem.

Post subject: Re: Mike Smith not quite on the hot seat yet, but getting wa
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Congratulations, you found someone as clueless as you about what is good vs. bad gameday management. :up:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I've never seen as many coaching screw-ups as I saw today. Bill B. going for it on 4th down and ten, from his 20 with 3:30 left and he had time outs. Brady bailed him out because N.0. went conservative and New England had the ball back twice and scored.

Denver had a 14-0 lead at half time and let Jacksonville take the lead before waking back up and scoring 21 unanswered points.(or that's close)

I've always had Sunday Ticket but never watched it like now. Most coaches make Mike Smith look great.

Nobody can guess what Arthur Blank will do?? Its just so easy to see the better the players equal the best Coaches?? Unfortunately Blank is so football dumb, I doubt he watches any football; or sees stability as the foundation of the great franchises.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Rob using Bleacher Report articles to try to convince us about Smith's coaching issues. Man this guy has literally lost his mind. Beyond laughable at this point.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Mike Smith is a good Coach and makes mistakes like every other head coach in the NFL, the two knocks on him are:

1. He never seems to get his team up for every game or play consistently through out an entire game.

2. The disconnect between him and the front office. He coached the majority of his assistant coaching career in JAC and BAL two very hard nosed football teams when he was apart of them (well Baltimore is still a very physical hard nosed football team).

On the first problem every playoff game or big games of his tenure the Falcons either start slow or couldn't finish the game except for the game against the Cardinals back in 08. I don't know if its conditioning or he needs better rah rah speeches but he needs to get it together.

On the latter of the two, his two previous stops before the Falcons were tough physical teams and when he first got here in 08 we were well on our way to becoming that now we are caught somewhere in between. Nothing about our fronts say Mike Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:34 pm 

I would disagree with your first point. No one bats 1.000 but I think the Falcons "get up" for the overwhelming majority of every game. It's rare when the Falcons "malaise" their way through a game.

Now if you're saying that the Falcons "play down" to the level of competition at times. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then again we saw the greatest team that ever stepped onto a football team (Denver) "play down" to the worst team that ever crawled out of a swamp (J-ville) on Sunday.

Not to mention, I think the perception that the Falcons "play down" is because of the false perception that the Falcons are a better team than they actually are. I know the record tells one side of the story, but I think the fact that the Falcons don't dominate teams like Arizona, Oakland, Carolina last year or get outplayed by the Jets isn't because Smitty isn't "coaching them up" it's because the team just isn't that good to begin with.

And I think for that reason is why the Falcons don't "finish" games. Again, people seem to forget that last year the Falcons had a terrible runnign game and no pass rush. If you can't run to win, and you can't get pressure on the QB when you're ahead and your opponent is throwing to get back into the game, then what are you really doing to "finish" them off? Nothing really. The same could be said about this year's team, although we've run it a little better. But outside the Miami game, you can't say we've ran the ball well. And the pass rush is the same (i.e. s***ty), and what's made it worse is that our coverage isn't nearly as strong as it was last year.

To me a team that is inconsistent from game to game were the Mora-Vick-Era Falcons. SMitty is much like Cowher, who I thought consistently had the Steelers competing at the same level week in and week out throughout his tenure there. I can't really say the same for the Tomlin Steelers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I would disagree with your first point. No one bats 1.000 but I think the Falcons "get up" for the overwhelming majority of every game. It's rare when the Falcons "malaise" their way through a game.

Now if you're saying that the Falcons "play down" to the level of competition at times. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but then again we saw the greatest team that ever stepped onto a football team (Denver) "play down" to the worst team that ever crawled out of a swamp (J-ville) on Sunday.

Not to mention, I think the perception that the Falcons "play down" is because of the false perception that the Falcons are a better team than they actually are. I know the record tells one side of the story, but I think the fact that the Falcons don't dominate teams like Arizona, Oakland, Carolina last year or get outplayed by the Jets isn't because Smitty isn't "coaching them up" it's because the team just isn't that good to begin with.

And I think for that reason is why the Falcons don't "finish" games. Again, people seem to forget that last year the Falcons had a terrible runnign game and no pass rush. If you can't run to win, and you can't get pressure on the QB when you're ahead and your opponent is throwing to get back into the game, then what are you really doing to "finish" them off? Nothing really. The same could be said about this year's team, although we've run it a little better. But outside the Miami game, you can't say we've ran the ball well. And the pass rush is the same (i.e. s***ty), and what's made it worse is that our coverage isn't nearly as strong as it was last year.

To me a team that is inconsistent from game to game were the Mora-Vick-Era Falcons. SMitty is much like Cowher, who I thought consistently had the Steelers competing at the same level week in and week out throughout his tenure there. I can't really say the same for the Tomlin Steelers.

What I am saying is that the Falcons not only play down to their competition but also never seem to come out and play better than they should, they either play right on par for what you expect or they play worse. There is never a moment when the Falcons play a game and you are surprised by just how good they are playing, unless of course they are playing one of the bottom dwellers in the league.

I understand that they had/have a sh*tty run game and pass rush so how about finishing games the same way you got the lead score more points. Don’t go into conservative mode trying to babysit your lead try to keep building on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I agree with what you're saying Mattural, but I have to point to the Giants game last year. That was a game that we dominated from start to finish. I had hoped that game signified a turning point for our team, but it did not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The last 5 years have spoiled a lot of people around here. Myself somewhat included. But no one should be overly shocked. The writing was on the wall.

60% change on the offensive line.
Rookies everywhere on defense
Lack of depth at key positions
A porous defense

The past few years we were able to mask some of these flaws.

The o-line, while never dominating had cohesiveness, that can't be under estimated.

The defense came up with timely turn overs, again and again and again. You live by the sword, you die be the sword.

For the most part, the past five seasons we have avoided the injury bug. The law of averages were bound to catch up to us. And it did this year with a vengeance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The last 5 years have spoiled a lot of people around here. Myself somewhat included. But no one should be overly shocked. The writing was on the wall.

The fans in this city have no clue what realistic expectations are....You can see it when people who have been on this board for years threaten to leave. Well years we're really talking about the last 5. So spoiled about everything........

Harry Douglas is so important he shouldn't return punts. I don't think he should either; because he sucks at it!!