It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who are we picking in the draft?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

Well, the offensive line has undergone considerable changes this year.

Well we knew that as soon as Claybo wasn't resigned and McClure retired.....

I can't imagine you believing Konz will be better than McCLURE?? They tried to replace him for years and no one could beat him out?? Including Garza who is still a starter with the Bears 8 years later?? Garza showed up at a draft bash with Crumpler,
and told me McClure was tough as nails. I suppose his years in the league under 2 or 3 coaches proves many (including myself one year); that he was better than we thought. No all pro; but he didn't exactly play with good guards his entire career!!

I'd like to find agreement with you on something; I guess we both think the line is a mess?? Not sure which is worst; Offensive line or defensive line??

We drafted Bill Fralic #2 in the draft in 1985---Geez that's a long time without a good guard??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:15 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Cyril,
So, let me see if I have this correct. You think the Falcons should have given Tony G an ultimatium on being in camp? The same Tony G who was ready to retire. I am curious how that game of chicken conversation would have went "You better come to camp or you won't be able to play." "What are you going to do. Retire?" :roll:

Pudge,
You are correct. The Falcons will go defense. The problem will be that they focus on a specific postion instead of the best defensive player available.

I know this came up before, but I would like to see the Falcons trade Tony G if they lose one of their next two games. I think it would be a win/win. Tony could have one last chance to go to the SB and the Falcons could get a good pick. With a lot of teams needing receivers (Packers, Patriots, etc.), they could probably get a 3 and a late round pick in 2015.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Sparkey Harm wrote:
Quote:
Cyril,
So, let me see if I have this correct. You think the Falcons should have given Tony G an ultimatium on being in camp? The same Tony G who was ready to retire. I am curious how that game of chicken conversation would have went "You better come to camp or you won't be able to play." "What are you going to do. Retire?"

No its just when he asked for time off when everyone else is training you just say no.
If he doesn't want to do it he's cut. (I'm sure this was foolishly in his new contract.)

The main point is you just have to try to treat everyone the same; if your going to have a team. No Untimatium, you either practice or you don't play on the team.

Sure you can have exceptions--- Let Abe spend less time at practice?? It just doesn't work; !!

He didn't want to retire; he still may not??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree, Cyril. I know there is in practice no such thing as pure equality in probably any organization be in political, familial, etc., as circumstances alter cases. But when you have different sets of rules and they are blatant it does not induce cohesion. Us long time fans can recall the hissy fit Terrence Mathis threw when Reeves let the ten year vets exit the plane first when they landed in Miami at the SB. I imagine Vick had a million rule bending caveats (last at practice and first to leave) in his time here and the team in general lacked cohesion. These guys all have pretty big egos and you already have paychecks that run the gamut. When MR is making a million plus per game you better figure his team mates want to see him there every time they show for practice if he wants their respect. If you have a great drummer or guitar player or something and even if he practices at home it doesn't mean he is going to sound as good as a guy who practices with the rest of the band routinely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I disagree. This argument smacks of desperation trying to find an excuse for the poor start. Really, Tony Gonzalez can't miss 2 weeks of camp to spend time with his family? Had his mother and sister died in a car accident, nobody would have had a problem with him getting time off. But because it didn't involve a familial crisis, it's now suddenly wrong?

The issue has less to do with Gonzo missing time, and more to do with the player (Coffman) that was filling in for him, thus far has played a grand total of 4 snaps. The Falcons didn't take full advantage of Gonzo's absence.

Had the Falcons drafted a TE at some point in 2010, 2011, or 2012 rather than waste their time developing Cyril's guy, Michael Palmer, you know the guy that is going to be special one day, then Tony Gonzalez could have potentially sat out a season, and they would have been prepped for it. But oh no, TE wasn't as big a need as a blocking fullback on a team that runs the ball 30% of the time, or a slow WR that runs a 4.6, or a pair of backup-only safeties. No, finding a guy that could learn from and take over eventually from Gonzo and potentially be a 40-50 catch TE doesn't have nearly as much value as Charles Mitchell (who played 2 snaps on defense), Kerry Meier (34 snaps on O), or Schillinger (10 snaps on D). Our GM has such great foresight. :roll:

Cyril wrote:
Ps. You Palmer haters will be glad as he progresses in the NFL.... I was sure he'd make the team; never be great but
35- 40 catches from a tight end will be good when Tony quits.

That statement was made in September 2011 in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=102472#p102472

Currently, the "progress" Palmer has shown is that he's been cut by 2 teams since May, and currently is the 4th string TE in Pittsburgh, and playing almost exclusively on special teams.

Profile E-mail