It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who are we picking in the draft?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, now that this season is officially over and we'll have a Top 5 pick, do we go o-line or d-line or perhaps a running back since Jackson needs to be dumped.

J. Mora JR.

Post subject: Re: Who are we picking in the draft?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We should draft Lineman with our first three picks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We should draft a new coach who understands that kicking field goals in the first half is both logical and effective :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:49 am 
Superstar
Superstar

First thing's first, get someone in here that knows how to evaluate line talent. Our front office obviously has no clue.

And whoever is in love with cross training offensive linemen, fire that person. Garrett Reynolds has no business being an NFL guard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 am 
Starter
Starter

Oh let's see. With our first pick we will overdraft a TE because its a "position of need" and we are a "needs based" drafting team. We will then draft a FB in round 2 just because TD will think its cool. We will then draft a DE in the 3rd that we could get in the 6th round cuz the 3rd round is our designated "reach round." We will then package our 4th-7th round picks to move up for a LB that has "urgent athleticism" or whatever TD calls it. I'm drunk right now but I'm pretty sure we just lost to the jets at home. We can still make the playoffs if we can convince the NFL to let us play Jacksonville the rest of the year. Can you say rebuild? I knew you could!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:16 am 

I hope to God the Falcons do noting but bring in O-Line and D-Line help this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons will finish the year 7-9 or 8-8 and be picking in the Top 15, not the Top 5.

But they certainly need to address their OL or DL with their top pick. More than likely it will be the DL because the Falcons have already invested in their OL with the $$$ spent on Baker and Blalock, and high round picks used on Konz and Holmes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
The Falcons will finish the year 7-9 or 8-8 and be picking in the Top 15, not the Top 5.

But they certainly need to address their OL or DL with their top pick.

That hurt to read, I know that had to hurt to type Pudge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 pm 

The gates of NFL Purgatory are swinging open in preparation to accept the Falcons back into mediocrity.

If the Falcons wiff on this upcoming draft it's gonna be a long road back to relevancy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Tank!!!! Get Clowney! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Focus on both lines, plain and simple. Get the lines geared up and this team will go back to being contenders next year. Anyone that doesn't think should really stop being a Falcons fan.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Playmakers in the front seven!!!!!!! Free Agency for proven lineman. That is all

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Get the lines geared up and this team will go back to being contenders next year. Anyone that doesn't think should really stop being a Falcons fan

Well that's also a little harsh; but I agree this is a one year thing. If the free agent
linebackers improve we're not far from a good defense. Corners should all get better.

I think we'll be picking in the top 8..... Back end of our schedule is brutal. As has been pointed out 8 or 18th they need to pick right.

We sometimes just need more patience with linemen. They get stronger in the offseason, plus their should be 1 good free agent. There's nothing wrong with Steven Jackson. Our tackle Jackson will be back but I've never counted on him.

As painful as it seems this season was necessary. The Falcons had fallen into a trap of thinking they were better than they were. Coach Smith made a terrible mistake letting Tony G. be home when others were training. Thomas D. had neglected both lines. Arthur had reserved his Super Bowl seats....All showing how they misjudged things!!

Thomas D. is a good GM. after 5 years he just needs to quit thinking we can get by with poor lines. No telling how this season changes him but we're not that far from being good now!! Two new linemen on both sides of the ball; just got to hope this is the injury year all at once.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:18 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

So who are the best linemen in next year's draft? I know it's a QB heavy draft so maybe a linemen or two will drop for us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

A guard or d-end better be taken in the first round. Outside linebacker may not be a bad idea either, but that isn't a complete need. Hopefully it'll be a d-end, but wouldn't mind seeing a left or right guard being drafted. Blalock has looked solid this year, but he may get cut.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

Last I checked, there were 11 more games to be played this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:03 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This reminds me of 1992 or something where after the first month everyone is thinking about next year. To lose two thirds of the Big Three receiving corps is indeed a catastrophic blow but the despondency and hysteria are so over the top it's funny to me. And you call yourselves Falcons fans.... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vSc7JEoZw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You know, I wasn't really being too negative about the outlook for this season until we lost to the Jets at home. There are serious issues with the team at this point, and I'm not just talking about injuries.

I don't think that the offense is going to grind to a halt without Julio and White. I think that the offense will certainly be less effective, but I don't think that it's suddenly going to be Jacksonville. Matt Ryan knows how to distribute the ball. He will probably lean on Tony quite a bit, as he has been for most of the year. However, I believe that Harry will be able to pick up Roddy's job fairly well. I don't know who's going to replace Julio, and I don't know who's going to play in the slot. I kind of suspect that Davis will be the #2, and that Cone and Toilolo will be doing Harry's old job.

As to who we should pick in the draft... This is my early short list, under the assumption that we'll be picking 5-15 or so: (I expect Clowney to be gone by our pick, so...)
Anthony Barr (OLB/DE) Grades more as a 3-4 OLB, but he has coverage skills. If you want an impact defensive player, it's this guy. However, he may be gone by our pick.
Taylor Lewan (OT) Ideal LT.
Jake Matthews (OT) Ideal RT.
HaHa Clinton-Dix (S) Great all around safety. Would be an upgrade over either of ours. However, he's currently suspended...
CJ Mosley (OLB) Great all around OLB. (Spoon 2.0)
Louis Nix (DT/NT) Though I doubt we even consider him, as he's more of a 3-4 NT than a 4-3 DT.

I'm quite intrigued by Cyril Richardson (G) and Gabe Jackson (G), though where we're likely to be picking in the first, that would be a dumb pick. If either of them are available at the top of the 2nd, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Road grading RG is exactly what we could use right about now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 am 

RobertAP wrote:
I don't think that the offense is going to grind to a halt without Julio and White. I think that the offense will certainly be less effective, but I don't think that it's suddenly going to be Jacksonville. Matt Ryan knows how to distribute the ball. He will probably lean on Tony quite a bit, as he has been for most of the year. However, I believe that Harry will be able to pick up Roddy's job fairly well. I don't know who's going to replace Julio, and I don't know who's going to play in the slot. I kind of suspect that Davis will be the #2, and that Cone and Toilolo will be doing Harry's old job.

And if (or rather when) it does, who are you going to blame then? Your boy Dirk Koetter? Mike Smith? Or Harry Douglas' momma?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll blame what I've been blaming for the past several years, the offensive line. When your QB has pressure in his face within 2 seconds (on average) it's pretty easy to say, "that there's your problem."

It blows my mind that the brain trust has opted to go for a piece meal offensive line. I think that the FO values flash over consistency, and that goes against what Smith seems to be about. My big gripe with the Falcons is that their drafting and talent acquisition does not mesh well with the coaches that they have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'll blame what I've said
Quote:

As painful as it seems this season was necessary. The Falcons had fallen into a trap of thinking they were better than they were. Coach Smith made a terrible mistake letting Tony G. be home when others were training. Thomas D. had neglected both lines. Arthur had reserved his Super Bowl seats....All showing how they misjudged things!!

Its the mindset and its mostly on the coach, but everybody in the front office is responsible. I have no idea if its true or not, but they say Vince L. started every season by holding up the pigskin and saying this is a football. Then starting with the basics and I think our team; owner, coach, Gm, & fans, should understand you've never given anything.

Stop the Matty Ice stuff; Ice melts with 100 degree pressure. Anyone who says without a Super Bowl its a lost season should be fined $100,000; and no twittering during the season!! In other words start the season as underdogs, then work like hell to get better all season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
I have no idea if its true or not, but they say Vince L. started every season by holding up the pigskin and saying this is a football. Then starting with the basics and I think our team; owner, coach, Gm, & fans, should understand you've never given anything.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... super-bowl

Though I fault Smith for other things (game day decision making), he has been consistent in his, "one game at a time," and, "forget about what happened in the past," message. I don't think that he treated this season any differently than any previous season. If you look back at our games, we're not getting blown out. We're not showing the signs of a team that was expecting things to be handed to us on a silver platter.

Two things are really killing us this year, lack of talent/depth on the lines, and injuries. Neither of these things is inherently Smith's fault, though I suspect he has some level of influence over off season moves. (If he doesn't, shame on TD)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

THANKS ROBERT,that was a good read.

However letting Tony G be at home while others were practicing, seems to take away from his words. A 17 year vet needs to work harder not less.
(I can't forget his salary that he deserves but no special attention to anyone) No mistake losing Roddy was huge.

I just hated the way all the pundits had us challenging for a Super Bowl when their were about 7 open positions.

I'm also saying we've been winning without great lines and no pass rush. Maybe Thomas D. thought that could continue but it never will.

I don't believe Coach Smith thought we had a playoff team; but I don't think he sold that to his team....I mean I don't see a huge difference between this year and last year, except for the injuries. If we'd had these injuries last year we still wouldn't have an offensive line or Pass Rush; or depth.

From what I can see from my " Sunday Ticket" it seems all coaches haven't a clue for time outs, and I even think some coaches have a "sheet" for when to go for two; and for timeouts that another coach handles. I usually think if it works it was right, and if it didn't work it was just plain dumb (:

My eyes start hurting if I watch more than two full games on one day, but Pudge is right, some of these coaches are in their first head coaching job and they not only make terrible decisions with clock management but have a nervous break down while doing so (:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
I'm also saying we've been winning without great lines and no pass rush. Maybe Thomas D. thought that could continue but it never will.

I don't believe Coach Smith thought we had a playoff team; but I don't think he sold that to his team....I mean I don't see a huge difference between this year and last year, except for the injuries. If we'd had these injuries last year we still wouldn't have an offensive line or Pass Rush; or depth.

Well, the offensive line has undergone considerable changes this year. Baker was actually decent last year... Whether it was because he no longer cares about the game, or if he was playing hurt, his play went from average to horrible. Konz taking over at center is going to generate some growing pains. I feel that Konz will be better than McClure was, but he's obviously having some issues at this point. Having Reynolds at RG blows my mind. Physically, he's out of position. He has the build of a tackle, but we have him at guard. He simply shouldn't be there. Honestly, I don't know what people saw in Holmes at RT. I haven't seen much from him which suggests that he'd be a, "good," NFL OT. I have always viewed him as, "solid depth." He has seemingly played better at LT. And there's the final piece of the puzzle... Baker is out, and so Trueblood is our RT.

At this point 4 out of 5 of our offensive linemen are different from last year. Most of those players wouldn't be starting for most NFL teams. The OL might not be the worst OL ever, but it's pretty darn bad. Again, it blows my mind that we didn't do anything in the off-season to improve the line. I wouldn't be one bit upset if we drafted an OT with our first pick, and a G with our second. Although, if Barr or Clowney are available when we pick.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:28 pm 

I would be very surprised if the Falcons used anything higher than a 4th round pick on an OT next year. They still owe Sam Baker $15.25 million in guaranteed money in terms of their cap space. Drafting another OT isn't going to remove that albatross from around their neck. And since they dubbed Lamar Holmes worthy of a 3rd round pick, it doesn't seem likely that they will simply give up on him after only 1 season. The Falcons philosophy has been consistently to give their players taken in the first 4 rounds the full extent of their rookie contracts to prove themselves. It would be a sharp change in philosophy to give up on Holmes so quickly. Especially since Holmes isn't that bad. I give him a hard time, but (if) he learns how to punch, he'll be a competent if not quality complementary starter.

They might use a higher pick on an offensive guard just because Reynolds is owed only ~$1.5 million, and thus have a less vested interest in him remaining the starter.

The Falcons top pick very likely is going to be a D-linemen. Babineaux is a free agent that probably won't be re-signed. Corey Peters is well on pace to get a new contract. But Peria Jerry, the other DE is a free agent. All signs point to the Falcons looking for 2 brand new starters at 3-4 DE, and that will likely be their top pick. A 3-4 DE/4-3 DT hybrid player. That or a 3-4 OLB edge rusher that can replace Osi Umenyiora/Kroy Biermann. Osi will be 32 next year, a year older than John Abraham was when he was first declared "done" in 2009. Any production the Falcons get from Osi from this point is gravy. Frankly, any production the Falcons get from Osi the rest of this season is gravy. Kroy will be 29 next year, entering the final year of his contract, and coming off an Achilles injury, the same injury that allegedly forced the Falcons to move on from Brent Grimes without a second glance. Massaquoi is a 5th round pick, and thus not entitled to the same level of loyalty, and frankly needs to be much more productive over these next 11 games than he has been over the first 5.

There is not as much a premium on the guard position as there are on front-seven playmakers. Thus all signs still point to the Falcons addressing a need in their front seven, notably an interior pass rusher in the Fletcher Cox/Cameron Jordan mold, or an edge rusher in the Melvin Ingram/Ryan Kerrigan mold.

I also think there is a stronger possibility that the Falcons use their 2nd round pick next year on a safety than it is on a guard. Since there is a much stronger possibility that position will be wide open with DeCoud gone, than the guard position since Blalock and Reynolds are both likely to still be under contract. Assuming there isn't a huge dropoff in Blalock's play, he should be safe for another year. Being on the roster in 2015 may be a lot tougher call to make. DeCoud's cap hit next year is $4.8 million, which the Falcons have the option of getting out of if they cut him before over half of his base salary is guaranteed ($2.25M out of $4.2M) if he's on the roster on the 5th day of the league year (March 15). Unless he steps up his play, there is no reason for the Falcons to make that payment, and the Falcons have no viable contender waiting in the wings, making safety likely to be a high priority going into either free agency or the draft.

And don't forget RB too. If Steven Jackson doesn't play well over these next 11 games, it will be back to the drawing board at that position with a 2nd/3rd round pick being a high probability.

Profile E-mail