It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: we need to sit Roddy White
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:47 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

...for the Jets game. Hoping he doesn't really injure himself this sunday, maybe if he gets out alive, we let him take a snap for the game, then sit his ass. That will give him effectively 3 weeks to heal up.

just sayin'. :ninja:

Roddy White still isn’t where he wants to be, but will play Sunday
Posted by Josh Alper on September 27, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT

When Falcons wide receiver Roddy White initially hurt his ankle in August, the Falcons said that he had not suffered the dreaded high ankle sprain that has kept many a player from being in the lineup.

White later admitted that it was that type of injury, although his play on the field through the first three weeks would have made it clear that this is a fairly severe sprain. White has been mostly a decoy through the first three games, playing a reduced number of snaps and seeing a drop in his targets as well.

Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reports that White said Friday that he still isn’t where he wants to be in his recovery from the injury, but will once again “gut it out” against the Patriots on Sunday night. McClure adds that White also said that he’ll rest up during the team’s bye week, which comes after they host the Jets in Week Five.

White’s limited effectiveness hasn’t appeared to hurt his ability to concern defenses as Julio Jones leads the NFL in receiving yards to this point in the season. Still, it will be a good day for the Falcons offense when White returns to full speed and makes them even more difficult to stop.

Post subject: Re: we need to sit Roddy White
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You might be on to something here, he keeps going to keep his streak, but isn't near 100%. In his current condition he's no more of a threat than a backup, seems like some rest may finally get him healed up and closer to 100%.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

How about this... WE start him for the first snap, and then pull him the rest of the game. He keeps the streak alive, but yet suffers no real risk of further injury. They can also sit him all week long during the practice week, list him as questionable since he won't really factor into the game plan. And when media folks ask Smitty about him he can say, "We expect Roddy to start this week" and not be lying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
How about this... WE start him for the first snap, and then pull him the rest of the game. He keeps the streak alive, but yet suffers no real risk of further injury. They can also sit him all week long during the practice week, list him as questionable since he won't really factor into the game plan. And when media folks ask Smitty about him he can say, "We expect Roddy to start this week" and not be lying.

I've been saying this since game one. take a snap or two, and sit and heal.

but no, Roddy will be out there, risking further injury. smh :snooty:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:43 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

After playing 97 percent of snaps, Falcons WR Roddy White still not 100 percent healthy
Posted: 12:45 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4, 2013
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH --- In his quest to become 100 percent healthy from a high right ankle sprain, Falcons wide receiver Roddy White suffered a set back after playing extensively against New England.

He played his most action of the season against New England. He played 74 of 76 (97 percent) of the offensive snaps.

“Yeah, and I learned a very valuable lesson from that,” White said. “I ain’t where I need to be yet.”

Asked if he was 100 percent, White said, “I don’t know. I’ll tell you after the bye week.”

White, who's posted six consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, has just 10 catches for 84 yards and no touchdowns this season. He suffered the high ankle sprain against the Baltimore Ravens on Aug. 15.

He played 37 of 56 (66 percent) of the offensive snaps against New Orleans. He played 34 of 64 (53 percent) of the snaps against the Rams. He played 47 of 71 (66%) of the snaps against Miami.

“I’ve got to get right,” White said. “The bye week is coming at really, really good time. No vacation. No time off for Roddy. No cruising. No, none of that. I’ll be cruising right here in the training room.”

After the opener, White revealed that he had a high ankle sprain. He thought at the time he would be 100 percent recovered in two to three weeks.

After playing so much against New England, White doesn't believe he's reached 100 percent yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 pm 

Blame the Falcons lack of depth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:49 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Blame the Falcons lack of depth.

that may be a mitigating factor, but IMO this has more to do with Roddy's frame of mind. He wants to compete, and he wants to keep his consecutive game streak alive. The smart move would be to take a snap, and sit out a game or two. Yet, he's out there playing 50,60 and 97% of games injured. If he plays anywhere near that vs the Jets, then my sandy place is going to get alot more sandy.

Im sorry, but this goes on coach Smith. we still have Julio and MONSTER TE and they can carry this team for a game without Roddy....I get discouraged because this stuff reminds me of the ol' Bobby Cox days when his favorite players and his big name players back in the day would get preferential treatment post season ( note this year we sat our #2 paid player for the postseason )..What should matter most is not what is best for Roddy's pride, it should be what is best for the team. I believe Roddy should play 10% of the game, not 50%. Then he will have 2 1/2 weeks to get healthy. He not helping out there playing injured, and we should just cast our lot with Harry Douglas or dare I say *shudder* Cone or Davis against a team that even Vegas has as a 10 point dog. If there were ever a time for Roddy to sit, it's this game.

Please coach Smith don't let me down and keep Roddy in for half of a game :pray:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It is a little odd to me that he played 97% of the snaps because even when fully healthy it seems like he gets taken out more than that. Smith trusts Roddy just like Cox trusted his vets and, FWIW, I honestly think I would rather see Uggla on the post season roster than BJ though BJ does offer pinch runner ability. Elliot Randall isn't going to do much either, I'm afraid though I do understand the move and I do understand your point. I'm a bit of a you gotta dance with them that brung ya sort of person.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

It has everything to do with depth. The Falcons know that 70% of Roddy is better than 100% of Davis. If the Falcons had a 4th WR that they could trust to get open, then they could afford to sit Roddy. But this scenario is exactly what I was talking about last year when I was griping about the Falcons lack of WR depth. And now it's biting them in the ass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:19 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think they lack depth everywhere. Ultimate price of the Julio trade? I guess you might say that if you want to say I told you so but he, Tony and Matt are the only reason we even look like an NFL offense right now. Man, that was an ugly, ugly loss. :doh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 am 

Oops...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2013/10 ... -receivers

People talk about Mike Smith's playcalling and clock management/timeouts....There is another deficiency that may be more impactful on the Falcons, and that is his inability to accurately assign risk/reward with regards to injury.

Years ago, he rushed back Turner and admitted later that was a mistake. Last season, he risked Abraham in a meaningless game, only to see that affect our postseason. Im sorry, but anyone who doesnt think Abraham being out did not impact last years playoff chances is a fool. Well, actually, worse then a fool, because a fool doesn't know he is a fool, but someone who thinks it was not a mistake to risk Abraham or any other starter last season is delusional.

Now, were out both Julio AND Roddy. Had he let Roddy take a few snaps, ands sit, we would have a relatively healthy Roddy in 2 1/2 weeks. But now, were stuck with HD and Drew Davis. And why? Roddy played 97% of the snaps against the Pats. He was not being used 'sparingly' against the JETS, he was in the game like normal..He gets a hammy and leaves the game deep into the fourth quarter. He should have never seen the field that deep with a high ankle sprain on the mend, and a two week bye. This is just plain ridiculous.NOw far be it for me to complain about Saint Mikey of Flowery Branch, or 'the best coach the Falcons ever had(tm)' but this is not 'random'. It's a trend. And when you put that together with all the other stuff Mike Smith does or doesn't do on gameday, I think it's very telling and even though Smith and TD will get a 'pass' because of 'injury', just remember some of these 'injuires' could have been avoided. he should have only seen 10% of snaps last night.

:down:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I thought Roddy looked his best against the Jets.

I may not understand high ankle sprains but I say its like letting Tony off for preseason.. Screw that!! Screw Roddy's streak; I'd have liked him to sit the first two games; but I don't know if that would have helped or not; it seems to an non doctor two extra weeks might have helped him!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:31 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

"--White wished he’d sat down for a couple of games at the beginning of the season with his high right ankle sprain instead of playing as a decoy......"

let the knob-slobbing, 'best coach evar!', circle-jerk the wagons(tm) Mike Smith/TD Lovefest Commence :?

from our esteemed 'beat writer' : --White wished he’d sat down for a couple of games at the beginning of the season with his high right ankle sprain instead of playing as a decoy.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falc ... -stink-re/

please try to defend the indefensible. Here I will help y'all out:

Emmit:"... why don't you become a Saints Fan? All you do is bitch, bitch, bitch! Delta is ready when you are!.."

BnB " well, who else are you going to bring in? you have to dnace/die with the one who brung' ya..The dude, abides.."

El Pudgeroo: "...according to Advanced Inversion Statistics, most if not some coaches would have made the same decision...Why, in fact, ______ made the same decision, and it was the correct one...You see, you rubes do not see the all-mighty-22, and probably do not watch any other games, 'so bless your Hearts'. I pity your ignorance.."

Wease : "...snark"

Cyril : " it is all Arthur Blank's Fault!" :wink:

are we right now?

Okay, Mike 'Smithsonians'(tm) I am going to spell this out to you: defend this. Please, try. 'Educate me'.

How in the wide wide world of sports does this make any sense? Roddy 'wishes' he 'sat out'?
O.K. So he was 'forced' into service? Or did he 'force' his way into the lineup? Either way, that is completely F'd Up.

Pudge says what he needs to see Smitty on the hot seat is if he 'loses' this team. Roddy, always the Twitternightmare, has just done that! WTF?! You have to give this to Roddy, he is a baby with a hand grenade as BnB would attest, but he doesn't B.S. To our own chagrin ( I have a high ankle sprain week one, thanks Roddy) :roll: We have no identity? We suck in the redzone? Ummm, thanks AGAIN Mayor McHobbled!

So this thing could have been avoided, was called waaaay in advance: no hindsight here. Y'all have watched this thread 'real time'.

Now factoring in the inability to accurately assing risk/reward to injuried, the 'occasional' ( cough cough ) game day decisions, and the inability for the GM and HC to 'get on the same page' draft-wise, that to me is a triple threat. One or two can be overcome. Three, cannot.

Blah Blah Blah Steelers...Patience! the *cough cough* 'process' was described to me to be a Five Year Plan ( google it and learn, son ) and it now looks a whole lot like a ten year plan. We were so close last year, but one of the biggest factors in our loss was an injured Abe. Didn't need to happen. Roddy's out now, didn't need to happen...THIS is not RANDOM, this is just plain bad coaching. Got it? BAD COACHING!

Now I fullly expect the slings and arrows, and quite frankly if this site is 'going 'Roost', I will probably find a new home, and celebrations should abound. But look for the speck of sand in your own vagina before looking at the Dune in mine. I am at least subsidizing this excercise in futility. Don't piss on my leg and tell mt it is raining, please...

Got it? :snooty:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:clap: :beef:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Try decaf. Is RW saying this remarkably different than after taking a called third strike a batter saying, "I should have swung?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm still shocked we played him, the only way to get 100% is to rest, it's rehab 101! Had he rested he's 100% coming off this bye and we at least have one good receiver.

By the way what the f happened to our training staff, we went from the best to the worst as far as injuries go in just one year. Seems like something changed in our guys preparation, too many injuries to just be our team being unlucky.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 am 
Superstar
Superstar

We got rid of our strength and conditioning coach DaveWaz.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Try decaf. Is RW saying this remarkably different than after taking a called third strike a batter saying, "I should have swung?"

Maybe Mike Smith should stop decaf :beef:

Why is this so hard for everyone to understand? This is like the batter taking a third strike, saying 'I should have swung', but the context (as Pudge likes to point out) is this batter struck out twice before when he should have swung, and the last time he did it, it cost us the Championship.

Mike Smith said he made a mistake rushing Turner back. Then, last year he got Abe injured for no reason. Now, when the injuries are piling up, he lets Roddy strong-arm him for his 'streak', which is now over. Now, if this was a one-off, yeah I could get it. But, it's not. Anyone with a lick of sense could see this coming down the road. I called this 3 weeks ago! Had he sat Roddy for the Jets game we lost anyways, our chances at the postseason look alot better. Roddy takes a series, sits, gets 'somewhat' healthy and we go up against the MRSA/Bucs with Roddy,Ryan and TG we win this game running away. Now, were going out there with Harry D,Cone/Davis,TG and one of the coaches sh*tty kids. If we lose this game, Tony G should cockpunch Mike Smith with the Vegan's bicycle seat while Arthur Blank stands by watching.

There is no stat, no logic, and no defense for this obvious shortcoming Mike Smith owns. It is sh*t like this that makes me seriously consider that Smitty is incapable of 'learning' from his mistakes, and that is one of the worst traits a coach can have. You cant call this one 'random', or 'hindsight'.

The only thing sadder: not one of the reporters have even asked Mike Smith is it was a mistake to let Roddy play. Had this happened in NYC, they would already be getting out the torches and pitchforks. Not here...And I think that's why Smith makes these mistakes, because he knows no one will call him out on it, since he is the 'best coach evar" (tm) .

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fa ... lcons_fans

'Why has Roddy been playing hurt? (AJC)'...not even a hyperlink? No accompanying article? No one bothered to posit this question to Mike Smith? Criminal negligence. Let the Smithsonians's spin, spin, spin thier way to a 'healthier you'. Because this goes beyond complacency all the way to incapacity. Trying to defend Smith by saying 'we have no depth' is one of the weakest arguments ever made. It assumes he MUST go with a 40% Roddy, while it overlooks that now we have lost that 40% for at least one game, if not three. Risk/Reward. Mike Smith has not yet learned this, and that should be very,very,very telling. At least to those willing to look.

No. Sacred. Cows. :snooty:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:01 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think anyone "forced" White to play as you suggest. It sounds like White is questioning himself, not Smith? If the doctors and the player tells you he is good to go, guess what, he is good to go.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The damage is done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
I don't think anyone "forced" White to play as you suggest. It sounds like White is questioning himself, not Smith? If the doctors and the player tells you he is good to go, guess what, he is good to go.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The damage is done.

with all due respect, AJ, this line of thinking absolutely drives me nuts. It's flawed, IMO.

The facts are, Roddy now says he wishes he rested. Well, who makes that decision? If it's Roddy, then that means our coach works for him. If it's Mike Smith, then he should be held accountable for not accurately assigning 'risk/reward' strategies. Either way, it's not good. It's bad. It's not up to the player and the team doctor as to who sees the field: it should be the coach. My guess? Smitty was more concerned with hurting Roddy's feelings then keeping him healthy. I think that has more to do with it then 'depth'. In fact, that is a really weak argument when you look at the JETS game. Now we are paying the price. It's undefensible by any standards. :snooty:

The thing that kills me is we all see this coming, but they don't. It's just like the last regular season game last year..That should have alarm bells screaming all over the place.

Let me give you yet ANOTHER example: punt returns. Harry Douglas has been covering that duty. He is now very much needed at WR. So,for a 'smart' coach, one that accurately assigns 'risk/reward', this is a no brainer. Right? Alford or someone else needs to do this job, because we cannot afford to lose HD, too. But how much do you want to bet we will still see HD back there once in awhile? This guy should NEVER EVER be doing that duty as depleted as we are. Now, if y'all see HD in return duty, I want you guys to be aware that Fun Gus pointed out now that this is a 'mistake', and not 'hindsight'.

Look, Mike Smith is not a 'bad coach'...He does some things very well. What he and the rest has accomplished cannot be overlooked. But, that doesn't make them 'immune' from criticism. Playing Roddy vs the JETS for four qtrs was an incredibly stupid thing to do. And now were down to Robiske?

The Smithsonians are going to have to wake up sooner or later. Roddy's loss should have Smitty's feet on fire and his a$$ should be on the hot seat. But, no one asks Smith the difficult questions and everyone defends dumb decision-making.

Let see how that works out for us. :beef: :snooty:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, in sum, FG, this means fire Mike Smith? My point about the batter is had we won the games or even a couple and we were quite close to doing that then no one stands pointing with a shaking finger and specks of saliva flying out of their saying, "I told you so!" We could apply similar logic to allowing TG to come back and skip camp by mentioning that the team has not seemed ready to play and that he, in particular, seemed off at the season's start. When you lose very close games every play matters. Injuries or the return for them are always going to be dicey. As the cliche' goes, everyone is hurt but who is injured? If rushing folks back were a systematic issue I would think #39 would have been back on the field. As Angry says, all voices are considered. They probably have some basic agility drills or whatever that a player has to be able to pass but I don't know this. If it makes you feel any better, you and half the rest of the Peanut Gallery "saw this coming." Injuries or aggravating injuries are always just a snap away. It's just a snap away, snap away, snap away (imagine Gimme Shelter here).

But what was your other point? That if everyone doesn't say they agree with you (on what exactly I am uncertain) you are going to take your ball and go home? Or maybe to Germany? :lol:

Last edited by backnblack on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The facts are, Roddy now says he wishes he rested. Well, who makes that decision? If it's Roddy, then that means our coach works for him. If it's Mike Smith, then he should be held accountable for not accurately assigning 'risk/reward' strategies.

Respectfully disagree. No player is 100% healthy after the first game for the rest of the year. Roddy isn't the first player to play (and play poorly) with a high ankle sprain, nor will he be the last. It's football. You play hurt or you look for a new job. Would we still be 1-4 if Roddy sat? Better? Worse? We'll never know.

Quote:
I think that has more to do with it then 'depth'.

Agree. Our lack of depth in all areas is showing this year and it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
The facts are, Roddy now says he wishes he rested. Well, who makes that decision? If it's Roddy, then that means our coach works for him. If it's Mike Smith, then he should be held accountable for not accurately assigning 'risk/reward' strategies.

Respectfully disagree. No player is 100% healthy after the first game for the rest of the year. Roddy isn't the first player to play (and play poorly) with a high ankle sprain, nor will he be the last. It's football. You play hurt or you look for a new job. Would we still be 1-4 if Roddy sat? Better? Worse? We'll never know.

Really? Mike Smith admitted he rushed Turner back after a high ankle sprain, and made a mistake. There is 'precedent' involved here. This is not an 'outlier'.

If this was the first time this happened, then he gets a pass. But it has now happened three times, and the last two times definitely hurt us. I just cannot understand how anyone has a hard time understanding this? :shock:

If Roddy had never came out and said he wished he rested so he would be ready after the bye, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But that is not the case. That's why I am so pissed and so incredulous!

"So, in sum, FG, this means fire Mike Smith? But what was your other point? That if everyone doesn't say they agree with you (one what exactly I am uncertain) you are going to take your ball and go home? Or maybe to Germany?"

No, I have stated that Smith deserves at least one more season, if not two. But he is not exempt from valid criticism. I would caution that if we see a Marty-ball exodus of coordinators bailing in season the next two seasons then 'yall better be ready for the Sword of Damacles.

One of the things that ran me right off the Roost was the blind, unthinking almost religious-like devotional to Vick. If you ever posted something critical back when he was 'winning', you would be castigated as 'dumb. If you said ' he cant read defenses, and carried the ball like a loaf of bread, and slid head first', all VALID criticisms, you could expect to be called a dumb M'Fer, a 'bad fan', or worse outright 'racist'. Well, look were he is right now.

Thank God Smith is white :ninja:

When I criticize Smith, I am seeing the exact same kind of thing here. So, I may not depart for 'Germany' :mrgreen: but if a valid criticism of something out HC does repeatedly elicits name calling, or condescension, I get enough of that at home.

your milage may vary.

What about my point about HD returning punts? If HD goes down doing this: can I come back later and say 'I told you so'? If that happens, would you not agree that my point that Smith is not cognizant of 'risk/reward'? Because at that point, the Smith-love is going to me look alot like nut-hugging. :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Really? Mike Smith admitted he rushed Turner back after a high ankle sprain, and made a mistake. There is 'precedent' involved here. This is not an 'outlier'.

I dunno. I guess I'm from the old school, your star players need to play. Is a 75% Roddy (or Turner, your example) better than a healthy back up? The coaches see these guys everyday in practice and know what each brings to the table. I have to put faith in their judgement. And no, I'm not swinging from Smitty's nutsack, I'd say that about any coaching staff.

Quote:
If Roddy had never came out and said he wished he rested so he would be ready after the bye, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But that is not the case. That's why I am so pissed and so incredulous!

You have to consider the source. Roddy has diarrhea of the mouth (and of the twitter fingers). He certainly doesn't think before he speaks....and look what happens. It riles guys like you up. We would have never even known it was a high ankle unless Roddy didn't run his trap again a few weeks ago.