It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryan doesn't have Moxie??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Daniel Shirey-USA TODAY Sports

The Atlanta Falcons are 1-3 and they still have games down the road against the Seahawks, Saints, 49ers and Packers that were difficult matchups on paper before Atlanta's disappointing start to the 2013 campaign.

While Atlanta certainly has its issues along the offensive and defensive lines and in the secondary, critics usually focus their attention under center at the quarterback position first in today's NFL. That means Atlanta's new $100 million man Matt Ryan is probably about to face more scrutiny than he ever has in his career.

Ryan is now 58-29 (counting playoffs) since taking over as the Falcons starting quarterback in 2008. He's thrown for 20,287 yards and 135 touchdowns and led 16 fourth-quarter comebacks during that time span. Based on numbers alone, Ryan is worth every penny of the contract extension he signed this offseason.

However, the Atlanta Falcons are going to need more from Matt Ryan if they're going to overcome their current predicament. While Ryan's stats are impressive, he's still far from quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers in terms of his ability to pick apart an opponent's defense and take over a game.

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Super Bowl rings aren't the only things that separate Brady from Ryan

What separates Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees from Ryan (besides Super Bowl rings)? In a word, it's called "moxie." In football terms, moxie can be defined as having the skill and strength of mind to consistently deliver in the face of adversity.

Indeed, Matt Ryan has shown flashes of moxie, but quarterbacks like Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees exude moxie on every snap they receive from under center.

Moxie is an intangible attribute, and you don't really need advanced analytics to measure it. The only place that moxie will show up on a stat sheet is in the column that says "final score." It's the difference between quarterbacks who make outcome-determining plays and quarterbacks who fall short of the mark.

Moxie is what allows Drew Brees to keep opposing defenses on their heels for an entire game and not just for a half. It's also what propelled Aaron Rodgers through the postseason during Green Bay's Super Bowl run following the 2010 season. Tom Brady displayed it last Sunday night when he lit up Atlanta's defense with a ragtag group of backup receivers and tight ends. Peyton Manning shows it every time he comes back on the field and leads a touchdown drive immediately after throwing an interception as if the pick never happened.

In contrast, a lack of moxie is what has led Matt Ryan to look like a deer in headlights when things haven't gone according to plan in some of Atlanta's biggest games against elite-level competition in recent years. That must change if Atlanta is going to salvage its 2013 season.

The Falcons need Matt Ryan to make these types of plays

The Falcons are saying all of the right things about their quarterback following a loss to the Patriots that saw him miss a few key throws, but Atlanta's fate clearly rest with Ryan and his ability to play with the kind of moxie that represents the difference between hoping to score touchdowns in the red zone and knowing the ball is going to end up in the end zone because Matt Ryan is going to make it happen.

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Vick led the Falcons from 1-3 to the postseason in 2002.

In 2002, the Falcons started 1-3 before a dynamic young quarterback named Michael Vick led them on a 7-0-1 stretch that helped the team beat the odds and make the playoffs. During that stretch, Vick's play prompted ESPN the Magazine writer David Fleming to coin the phrase "quarterback mojo" in a December 2002 article to describe the intangible attribute that Vick used to turn around Atlanta's season that year.

In the piece, Fleming described the "mojo" that quarterbacks like Vick, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and then Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon had at the time as being what every quarterback needs to win games in January.

Whether you call it mojo or moxie, it's precisely what the Atlanta Falcons need from Matt Ryan starting Monday night against the Jets. Without it, the Falcons are staring down the barrel of the most disappointing season of Ryan's career.

Matt Ryan has taken the Falcons as far as he can by filling up traditional stat sheets. If he wants to take his team to the next level, the intangible factors matter the most.

We'll find out if Ryan has them starting this week.

Post subject: Re: Ryan doesn't have Moxie??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have been wanting to say (but it didn't seem fair) was the person who gets off to the fastest start of any player on the Falcons is Ryan. He's often something crazy good like 12-14 or so at halftime, and we have that lead!!

I just couldn't or wouldn't say except for Ryan playing the second half as an kinda above average qb; I didn't see a drop off in anyone else.

I just can't blame Ryan!! Maybe we just need more players to push Ryan to be better in the second half. Ryan really didn't sign on to be Superman (well he's paid like it) but I do think his drop offs are what our 3rd quarter problems are about. So unless we really expect him to be a superman; we just got to get our line to play better for all 4 quarters.

I think Ryan is doing more than expected!! However it is his great play that I think gets us those first half leads and then he cools off. Those thoughts don't stop him from being a very very good Qb. The third quarter problems are I think Ryan not continuing to play like Superman!!

So lets keep hoping for our line improving and Roddy not having high ankle injuries again!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 pm 
Starter
Starter

Well I'm a big fan of Ryan but for what we are paying him he needs to be superman. With a qb making 20 mil per year, it's hard to not have a couple of weaknesses. If we were really good at drafting we could get away with him playing decent. But we're pretty average when it comes to drafting so he needs to play great for us to have a chance at a Super Bowl IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Ryan's problem at this point in time is right out in the open... Red zone efficiency. As a fan who doesn't have the all-22, it's hard to diagnose exactly what's wrong here. The biggest thing that stands out to me about our red zone offense is the lack of run plays. So far, it seems to me that our crappy offensive line is better at run blocking than pass blocking, and we don't seem to take advantage of that in the red zone.

That said, Matt has not been very good in the Red Zone, and often, when he has been on target, our receivers have dropped balls. (I believe that we have 3 missed TD's due to drops)

I will give some credit to Smith and company... They did try keeping the no-huddle going in the red zone this past week. I had complained about taking control of the offense out of Ryan's hands in the red zone, and they didn't do that against the Pats, but we still didn't get it done.

I think that our red zone issues are a TEAM, or scheme issue. Why haven't we tried running a sweep to Rodgers? Where's that wonderful shovel pass? Why doesn't Julio get more targets in the red zone? Given Roddy's condition, why is he even in the game on red-zone plays?

On an unrelated note, I think we need to get Toilolo more looks. If we're only looking his way once or twice a game, I wouldn't count on him to catch anything. Douglas suffers from, "being forgotten," drops as well. When we don't get Harry the ball for long periods, he seemingly develops skillet hands. I'm a firm believer that reps = improvement. It's hard to gain the confidence that you need to succeed if you never get to touch the football. Toilolo has what, four targets this season? Is he intended to be a red zone threat? He needs more targets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Al Bruce wrote:
What separates Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees from Ryan (besides Super Bowl rings)? In a word, it's called "moxie." In football terms, moxie can be defined as having the skill and strength of mind to consistently deliver in the face of adversity.

Indeed, Matt Ryan has shown flashes of moxie, but quarterbacks like Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees exude moxie on every snap they receive from under center.

With respect to my colleague at BR, this is pure BS. The only reason the Big 4 he named appear to have this so-called "moxie" is because they have rings. And thus because SB rings are magic, it makes people believe that certain variables exist that really don't. There are plenty of times when those other QBs don't show moxie, but because they have hardware, no one ever questions them as hard as they do with someone that does.

Did Brees exude moxie on every snap under center when he threw 59 picks in his last 52 games, 2nd most in the league behind only Eli Manning (65)? Or when he has yet to win a road playoff game and sees his production take a major dip in those games? Or Tom Brady, who started his career 10-0 in the playoffs, but now is 5-5 in his last 10 playoff games. Is that because he exudes so much moxie? And Peyton Manning, who "chokes" in the playoffs almost every year except the one year where he was actually a fairly average QB.

Matt Ryan needs to play better. Of that I agree on. But gaining some intangible quality won't do that. That intangible quality only exists as a retroactive application. Meaning, you only get it after you've reached the goal. When you scale the mountain, and people wonder, "How did he do that?" They answer, "Oh, because he has moxie." No one ever says when the guy is in the midst of scaling the mountain, "He's going to get to the top because he has moxie." Instead, they say, "Oh he'll never make it because all his predecessors had moxie, and I don't see it in him." No one who watched the Ravens last year thought Joe Flacco had moxie going into Week 18. But then fast forward 4 weeks, and all of sudden he's got more moxie than all the world put together. :roll:

Again, Ryan needs to play better. But the OC needs to help him out. The WRs need to drop less passes, and the running game has to take slack off him, and the defense has to get stops, and the OL has to play better. I can guarantee you one very tangible thing, if those things start happening, then Ryan's play will pick up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

In My Opinion( Moxie = Killer instinct. )

Its only an opinion of someone or something after the fact!! The great teams and great stars may have Moxie or Killer Instinct?? Its only after thinking about how good they are that someone throws out that opinion. I think their are defensive players; who have it; but its as rare as a Qb. sometimes some have it and don't get to a Super Bowl.

Most of the great Qbs SEEM TO HAVE SOMETHING EXTRA that always has them contending..... I wouldn't argue who; because nobody is always up in their career. I
think P. Manning is doing things at an age that most have hung it up. Conclusions this early in the season are just guesswork at best.

I do think we have finally found the description for killer instinct it's MOXIE (:

One last thought, this is why I have special hope for the season's to come. As the Qbs mentioned age; Ryan will still becoming better. I do think its possible for Ryan to become a Hall Of Fame Qb.... One thing the older Qbs learn is if they continue to improve they can win usually with a little less. Just beef up both lines
and our offensive line to only 2o sacks a year and Ryan will have lots of moxie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I want to add, I think that Ryan has displayed plenty of moxie by being the guy with the most come from behind wins since he's been in the league. That's what we're calling moxie here, right? When the game is on the line, you want the ball in his hands. I honestly didn't think we even had a shot against the Pats down by 17 in the 4th quarter. But we put up 10 and made a game of it. Once again, we came within yards of pulling it off. And don't forget that if Toilolo makes the TD catch on the previous drive, Matt has us in field goal range on that last drive.

Ryan has plenty of Moxie. He has earned the Matty Ice nickname. He is not Peyton Manning, but he is the best QB that we've ever had, and he's plenty capable of taking a game on his shoulders. He will make mistakes, as even the best of them have done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, just kind of rhetoric but I have always felt Ryan had a tad too much Eagle Scout in him and not enough gangster. If you need a FG to win I don't know if there is a guy in th league better than him. TD? Not so much. And Manning has been labeled as a big game choker all the way back to his time at Tennessee and I guess you could say it is "fair." He's lost a ton of big games that you didn't think he would. Favre also. they both have one ring to show for their careers and so I don't think it is completely a statement about rings being the basis for the label. Ryan has certainly pulled off a lot of improbable wins. Had he been able to stick it in the EZ last week that game would have become legend on par with the Colts comeback versus the Bucs on MNF some years back. you know what they say about horse shoes and hand grenades though....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 am 

backnblack wrote:
Yeah, just kind of rhetoric but I have always felt Ryan had a tad too much Eagle Scout in him and not enough gangster.

I agree with this. If anything separates Ryan from the "Big 4" it's IMO his willingness and ability to throw the ball into tight windows downfield. He showed on that first deep pass to Tony Gonzalez that he has the ability to do it, throwing into double coverage, as well as that deep throw to Julio at the end that needed it to be put in the right spot for him to make the play. So it's less about ability, and it's more about willingness.

Ryan is naturally a little more conservative than the other top QBs. That goes for the Big 4, but probably for the Top 12 QBs in the league. Certainly, Roethlisberger, Eli, Flacco, Cutler, even Romo, etc. are more willing to "sling" it downfield than Ryan is. I think that willingness is tied to arm strength. It's easy to have a bit more "swagger" in your throws when you know you have the arm to fit it in there. Ryan doesn't have that big arm, never has had that big arm, and thus he's made the right modifications to his reads and throws. But I will say I think Ryan is throwing with more zip this year and last year than he did earlier in his career.

But it goes to what you're saying, Ryan will almost always make the smart play, but that isn't always the big play. And because he's been so good in the 4th quarter, most of the time you don't mind "settling" for the smart play because you live to play another down and another series. And clearly on those final drives, he shows that when he has to turn it on, 9 times out of 10 he does. And the Falcons move down the field. The issue because, and certainly as of late, when they get all the way down to the 10 yard line, things break down. And I think at least in the last 6 or so games when that has happened, it has been largely been due to the fact that Ryan has gotten locked onto a specific receiver pre-snap, and if/when that player doesn't come open, things start to break down.

What people may not realize is that the Patriots and Saints red zone success has been just about as bad as the Falcons this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I agree with this. If anything separates Ryan from the "Big 4" it's IMO his willingness and ability to throw the ball into tight windows downfield. He showed on that first deep pass to Tony Gonzalez that he has the ability to do it, throwing into double coverage, as well as that deep throw to Julio at the end that needed it to be put in the right spot for him to make the play. So it's less about ability, and it's more about willingness.

It's also about Smitty's coaching style. Don't turn the ball over. I'm guessing Ryan is doing what he's told. "Unless it's wide open, don't throw it".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:33 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

It's also about Smitty's coaching style. Don't turn the ball over. I'm guessing Ryan is doing what he's told. "Unless it's wide open, don't throw it".

Yep, this is true too. It really is a good marriage between the two. Ryan is naturally conservative, as is Smitty, so they are on hte same page. Smitty's style would handcuff a player like Eli or Cutler, but it doesn't for Ryan.

I've argued in the past that this coaching style/mentality holds Ryan back some, and I still believe this is true to a certain extent. But in the end, It's only by degrees. And you are more than able to compensate by bolstering the supporting cast. Get better WRs and TEs that can take the short, conservative stuff and turn them into big plays (as Julio does). Get a running game that can actually complement a passing game by being able to keep the offense on schedule and also generate big plays of their own. Improve the defense. You know, the obvious stuff that any and every team should aspire to do.

After 2011, we talked about the Falcons need to be more of an offense that doesn't mind Ryan throwing two picks as long as he also throws 4 touchdowns. But the realization I've come to over the past 18 months is that the Falcons won't ever really be this sort of offense, not with Mike Smith and not with Matt Ryan. And if you try to "square peg" Ryan into that style of offense, he's going to throw a lot more picks, and unless you have a defense that can compensate for that (and the Falcons are still probably several years from that), then it doesn't help you win games. You're just going to have to be content being a team like the Giants are now (and have been under Coughlin for the most part), and that leads to a lot of 8-8 seasons. And every 5 or so years, maybe all the pieces come together and you can be a really good team as the Giants have been at times, but it's going to make a lot of your years boom or bust.

So I can't really fault the coaching staff/organization by opting against that sort of approach and trying to be as consistently good as possible year in and year out because that is going to maximize the number of opportunities you have to win. In the end it may amount to the same thing, where you have 1 really good team every 5 or so years, but if you can make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of the other years, that's better than just being a team that only makes the playoffs 1 or 2 other times, because you never know what can happen in January...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge Wrote
Quote:
In the end it may amount to the same thing, where you have 1 really good team every 5 or so years, but if you can make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of the other years, that's better than just being a team that only makes the playoffs 1 or 2 other times, because you never know what can happen in January...

Wow YOU'VE REALLY CHANGED YOUR THINKING FOR THE BETTER..... i MEAN more
realistic. Nobody is always good; and some teams do make it to the playoffs 4out of 5 and yes A Qb can get hot in the playoffs. The season's are more fun too. The odds are sure against it; but we could rattle off those 7 straight victories and be right back in the hunt, especially if guys get back!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

Cyril wrote:
Wow YOU'VE REALLY CHANGED YOUR THINKING FOR THE BETTER..... i MEAN more
realistic. Nobody is always good; and some teams do make it to the playoffs 4out of 5 and yes A Qb can get hot in the playoffs. The season's are more fun too. The odds are sure against it; but we could rattle off those 7 straight victories and be right back in the hunt, especially if guys get back!!

It's an attitude that gets lost in the shuffle in the "Super Bowl or Bust" mentality.

It was something I only came to realize in the week or so preceding the NFC Championship last year, and probably was helped by the fact that I would actually be attending the game myself (thanks fun gus). Had I watched it from the comforts of home, I'm not sure I would have seen the "big picture."

Which as I said at the end of last year was the likelihood that we would look back at that 2012 team/season 5 or so years from then, and realize and know with the value of hindsight that was our best shot at winning a title, and we didn't take advantage.

And if that proves to be the case and the Falcons aren't in a position to compete for a title until 2017 or 2018 (or whenever) then I'll take the 10-6 and 11-5 1 and done playoff seasons rather than the 8-8 or 9-7 sitting at home in January seasons. And it's what makes me a lot more forgiving of Mike Smith and his shortcomings than many others, and my refusal to be of the mindset that if Smitty doesn't win a Super Bowl (or reach one) in X amount of years, then the Falcons need to move on.

The other issue at play here is the belief that Super Bowls are magic. The idea that Jeff Fisher losing a Super Bowl in his 5th season in Tennessee or Bill Cowher in his 4th season, or Sean Payton and Tom Coughlin winning titles in their 4th seasons is some a significantly greater accomplishment than what Mike Smith and the Falcons achieved last year. They are marginally better.

As the last 2 NFC Championships show, the deciding factor in the game is essentially one fumble. But yet people act like that is somehow a reflection of the coach himself, and because of that essentially random occurrence, he doesn't have the "it" factor to win it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

to me, 'moxie' has always meant to get back up after you've been knocked down and return swinging, or to do something that has never been done before. For Ryan, he keeps getting back up and he never quits. Even if he doesn't have a ring or a superarm, that never stops him from getting us back into it...That, to me, is true 'moxie'. Also, 'killer instinct' is what this years Saints are doing: if they get a nice lead, they just keep pouring it on. NO TOP concerns, balls to the wall, all 60 minutes.

IMO, the one NFL QB that has the most 'moxie' is Peyton Manning. Watching him and Romo's slingfest yesterday was awesome. I have read how basically Peyton is his own QB/WR coach, he does that job himself..So yesterday, late in the game, they kept showing Peyton on the sidelines, alone, studying the polaroids...NO coach, or other QB around him, no WR, there he sat, all alone figuring out the adjustments the Gals were making. Im not used to seeing that. Usually there is a coach nearby 'splaining it to the QB. No need with Peyton Manning. Just set it and forget it. I thought he was done after his neck injury, and this badass mofo is rolling like it was 10 years ago. Im glad we dont play them this year.... :ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 pm 

fun gus wrote:
Also, 'killer instinct' is what this years Saints are doing: if they get a nice lead, they just keep pouring it on. NO TOP concerns, balls to the wall, all 60 minutes.

Isn't it interesting that in a game where Ryan was aggressive when the Falcons had a lead trying to "pour it on" he throws a game-changing pick? I'm speaking of the Seahawks playoff game. And had he not made that drive at the end, people would have ripped him for costing us the game...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

This may be a different look at all this, and if I'm channeling Aaron Schatz somehow, please tell me.

I don't think the Falcons are much changed from the team last year. I do think last year's team was an exceptionally lucky one and all of Mike's Smith's teams have been blessed a bit by the "golden touch". This year? Some tough teams to start on and a little less luck than in years past.

If you followed the sabermetrics guys, they were about to crown Atlanta as the most overperforming team of all time (luckiest) somewhere about the 3/4 mark of last year. But now, the Saints are back, they're playing well. The Falcons have lost a closely fought game or two that the Falcons might have won last year .. please don't get too analytical at this point.

Bill James once said you can't tell how well a batter is batting till he gets to 250 at bats. In football terms, I don't think the Falcons are at 250 just yet.

And for that matter, neither is Matt Ryan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:35 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
Also, 'killer instinct' is what this years Saints are doing: if they get a nice lead, they just keep pouring it on. NO TOP concerns, balls to the wall, all 60 minutes.

Isn't it interesting that in a game where Ryan was aggressive when the Falcons had a lead trying to "pour it on" he throws a game-changing pick? I'm speaking of the Seahawks playoff game. And had he not made that drive at the end, people would have ripped him for costing us the game...

nuff said :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 pm 

dwmyers wrote:
This may be a different look at all this, and if I'm channeling Aaron Schatz somehow, please tell me.

I don't think the Falcons are much changed from the team last year. I do think last year's team was an exceptionally lucky one and all of Mike's Smith's teams have been blessed a bit by the "golden touch". This year? Some tough teams to start on and a little less luck than in years past.

If you followed the sabermetrics guys, they were about to crown Atlanta as the most overperforming team of all time (luckiest) somewhere about the 3/4 mark of last year. But now, the Saints are back, they're playing well. The Falcons have lost a closely fought game or two that the Falcons might have won last year .. please don't get too analytical at this point.

Bill James once said you can't tell how well a batter is batting till he gets to 250 at bats. In football terms, I don't think the Falcons are at 250 just yet.

And for that matter, neither is Matt Ryan.

No, that was indeed the case. I said it multiple times over the past year, but the Falcons really had no business winning games like they did vs. Carolina, Oakland, and Arizona last year. They got outplayed by weak teams in each of those games, but thanks to some late-game heroics (thanks Asante) or late-game blunders (thanks Ron Rivera) or a team having absolutely terrible QB play (thanks John Skelton & Ryan Lindley), they won those games. Had they lost as they probably should have, this team is suddenly 10-6, and likely traveling to San Fran in the 2nd round of the playoffs rather than hosting them in the NFC Championship (because they are the 3 seed and play MIN in round 1).

And frankly, if not for knocking RG3 out of the game on a fortuitous scramble, playing the Broncos in Week 2 as opposed to Week 12 when Peyton Manning is only 80% of the player he would later become, and Drew Brees clock management issues and a dropped TD pass by Lance Moore costing the Saints 11 points in their 2nd game, the Falcons could have easily lost 3 more games, and been a 7-9 team.

As the arguments I made before the season, the Falcons just for whatever reason have managed to win more of those types of "either/or" games than they should. They've gotten good QB play, don't shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and other mental errors, and have had a long and rather flukey streak of staying fairly healthy. This year, they've suffered an abnormal amount of injuries, certainly by their own standards but also by league standards. And thus these "either/or" games which they've now found themselves in all 4 of their losses, aren't going their way.

You win some, you lose some. Unfortunately, we Falcon fans are finding the latter part of that maxim unfamiliar, and a bitter pill to swallow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I really think Roddy being hurt is the biggest loss this year.... Julio makes big plays or did; but Roddy moved the chains.

Last years offensive line was better too; but we just haven't made the big plays. A
better team doesn't always have to make the big plays. I think this is a one year adjustment and as long as Arthur Blank doesn't lose his mind; I think we'll be back on pace next year. I think Roddy will stay around longer than most. He doesn't win because he's fast; he wins because he's not afraid to get the ball.

Now if he keeps getting hurt; then that's a different thing.

I think Moxie is a bigger deal than most. Its just becoming so good you expect it every week. Payton has it now but players can lose it too. Its not a flu bug; its just playing so good you expect it; Muhammad Ali had it; Tiger Woods had it; but not many!!